IMDb > Moonraker (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Moonraker

Moonraker More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 28: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Slow & full of mistakes But Great Entertainer

Author: M MALIK from Pakistan
6 November 2011

Moonraker 1979 starting Roger Moore as James bond is a a very slow & have a lot of mistakes but a very great entertainer.

you wont feel for one second that all those mistakes & slow pacing is affecting the viewers the only reason is roger Moore's unlimited charisma makes you forget everything leave the brain behind & enjoy to the fullest.

the story,direction & cast is superb .the bond girl are hot & special effects are good for that time.& jaws is the bad guy with long teeth just wants to kill people adds a little humor in the film.

Moonraker is about a shuttle hijacked & bond is assigned to find out whats going on.later revealed the mastermind Hugo Drax himself is behind this & is creating bad plans how bond stops him you will have to see it yourself.

my rating is 10/10 do not miss

overall this film is gold.

Why did this do so bad?

Author: general-melchett from United Kingdom
9 December 2006

I am very surprised that people call Moonraker the worst Bond - I think it is great. It may be 27 years old now, but Bond's first scene on the plane with Jaws is one that I won't forget and always enjoy watching. It isn't badly done either - I don't understand why Moonraker has lost universal appeal.

This Bond is also full of classic scenes - including the bit where Bond drives the special Gondola through the streets of Italy and the bit where Bond shoots the sniper who is trying to kill him from a tree. The fact that this Bond was filmed in space makes it a true landmark in film-making - even nowadays, filmmakers rarely go beyond the bounds of Earth.

Roger Moore is a good Bond, and one of the most well-known. Richard Kiel is brilliantly menacing as Jaws, who keeps his status as a great baddie throughout the whole film. Bond's best line in this film was "Take a giant leap for mankind", after killing Hugo Drax on his space station and then pushing him into space to his death. With classic quotes, action scenes and Bond's super-spying, why did Moonraker lose appeal with many? I don't care what you lot think - I think Moonraker is a great Bond and one that should be watched many times to appreciate its true glory. Even if it is just to see the ninja get thrown out the clock tower and go crashing into the concert hundreds of feet below, I still recommend you give this one a try. Brilliant! 9/10

One of MY Favorites!

Author: RamManFromHeMan
3 October 2003

Of all the James Bond movies Moonraker is one of my favorites. I am a huge Roger Moore Bond fan but I especially looooooovvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeee Lois Chiles as Dr. Holly Goodhead. She is the most beautiful and sexy of all the Bond girls, in my opinion. Jaws has a good showing in this movie as well and the opening sequence is one of the best in Bond history. Sir Hugo Drax is as evil as a Bond villain gets and the terrific pacing of this movie makes it one of the most enjoyable of the Bond adventures. Maybe some other people don't like it but I do.

One Of The Best Bonds And Definitely One Of Moore's Best

Author: gatsby2244 from India
8 September 2007

Yes- I have given this one a 10/10 rating, because I give a damn for what critics and purists think.This is one incredible adventure that will never get dated. What more can you expect from an action movie ? It starts with a spectacular sky-diving sequence,and mind you, this is 1979 ! This couldn't have been done better today. Roger Moore looks, and performs excellently in this movie.Wooden performance ?? He is the best Bond there ever was !Then come the action sequences, which are as great as they can be in a James Bond action movie.I am saying action movie because those who are looking for a James Bond thriller should go for Sean Connery's films, or Timothy Dalton's , for that matter.This is Moore's territory, and here we have action by the bucketful.Add to that the space aspect, and man, you get an all-rounder. "Moonraker" is definitely one. The scenarios are lavish, the score is good, and the Bond girls are too. Michael Lonsdale is a decent villain, and Jaws' transformation from monster to loverboy is one of the best parts of the movie. Compare this to today's action fare dished out by Hollywood, and you will see that Moore's Bond films will have their place in posterity .Watch it !

One of my favorite Bond movies!

Author: sarge_45 from Lexington, Ind.
14 February 2004

In fact, if I had to have an absolute favorite Bond movie, this one might be it. Its exotic locales are certainly among the best, not the least of which being Venice and Rio de Janeiro. Jaws is brought back by popular demand, and in the end, he becomes a good guy this time! Most of all, though, this time Bond actually goes into space, and if you think about it, the stakes are much higher. Most of the time, the villains just want to hold America and its allies feet to the fire for some ransom (or revenge, or both, take your pick), but this time, the bad guy's actually out to wipe out the whole human race. Last but not least, I'd argue that Lois Chiles as Dr. Holly Goodhead is one of the hottest of all the Bond girls. Oh sure, many would argue she's not the ABSOLUTE hottest, but you've got to admit, she ranks right up there!

I will admit that the theme song isn't the best, but in the end, that's small potatoes compared to the movie itself (plus, the pre-credit free-fall scene sort of makes up for that anyhow). Still, it was nice for them to bring back Shirley Bassey to do the singing again (previous credits: the themes from "Goldfinger" and "Diamonds Are Forever"). Overall, it's not quite the classic Bond film like most of the Sean Connery Bond flicks, but 'Moonraker' still deserves its rightful place in the 'Best of Bond Movies' echelon.

Along time ago in bond movie far,far away....

Author: matthew scot
16 December 2014

***Warning! Spoiler Information Inside***

Star Wars was released in 1977 , and the world was captivated. The predictions of Peter Cushing that Sci-Fi would one day revolutionize film came true before his very eyes. James Bond had absolutely nothing to do with that."Cubby" Broccoli was however, smart enough to realize the new trend was the future of film. The Spy Who Loved Me(1977) claimed James Bond would return in For Your Eyes Only(1981).007 instead detoured to outer space to one of the most successful movies of the franchise ever lensed Moonraker (1979).

In mid flight, an American Space Shuttle on loan to her Majesty's government is stolen.007 is sent to California to investigate the theft. Where he meets space enthusiast Hugo Drax (Michael Lonsdale). As Bond follows the crumbs he begins to suspect cover-up.

This was an over the top gamble aimed directly at the "Star Wars" crowd , and it hit pay dirt. The direction by Lewis Gilbert, Script by Christopher Wood , Roger Moore in his third consecutive year in character , the supporting cast including Richard Kiel (Jaws) as an encore , and Lois Chiles as the CIA double agent Dr. Goodhead (tounge and cheek name I am certain),all are epic in this well....epic.

This Movie is Iconic , Lonsdale's Drax is directly responsible for Mini-me , Mike Meyers evil Minion (Austin powers), and this 6 year range of film responsible for that franchise itself.

One of the top 3 bond films in it's franchise history.

Four stars(of 5.)

Out of this universe, this movie rocks!

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
11 September 2014

Ever since Roger Moore has taken the reigns of 007, he has been making some progress on Ian Fleming's character. This time, he meets Dr. Holly Goodhead(Lois Chiles), and the return of of "Jaws" from "The Spy Who Loved Me" Jaws(Richard Kiel, 1939-2014) is out for blood against Bond! After the failed parachute attack, he comes to help out a modern day Nazi named Hugo Drax(Michael Lonsdale). Jaws comes into place following Chang's(Toshiro Suga) fight against Bond which resulted in his last concerto. Holly Goodhead on the other hand is a CIA agent, who is helping Bond tracking down Drax. Not only Drax is a very rich man, he is also wanting to repopulate the Earth with his perfect specimen. So he hijacked his own shuttle, goes out in the jungles of Rio to find a rare orchid to wipe out mankind. So when Jaws is recruited, he ended up with a small blonde named Dolly(Blanche Ravalec). Even though, he has her, he still wants a piece of Bond, one way or the other. However, when he was in space with everyone, he felt more like a pawn than a partner with Drax. So he switched alliance, and become a hero. What was more touching, is when Jaws was able to find his small love, he grabs a bottle of Bollinger and says to her, "Well, Here's to us!" While he starts a new life, he helped out Bond for the last time. It's a great movie there. I enjoyed every minute of it. Jaws got redemption, no more killing for him there! Bond is at his usual self you know, Being a ladies' man..... A glass to you Richard Kiel. R.I.P! 5 stars!

007 Goes Sci-fi

Author: Zoooma from Oakland, New Jersey
28 January 2014

I'm not sure what to make of this one. It's one of my least seen pre-90's Bond movies; I've maybe seen it just once before, probably twice and not in a long time. Good that John Barry is back for music. The last film had Marvin Hamlisch and he disco-infused the Bond Theme all the way through, then during the end credits it sounded like a Broadway musical number. Ugh! Back to sanity here. Unfortunately the plot took forever to get to while James womanized and hopscotched across the globe. This being the 4th Roger Moore film as Bond, and it being 8 years since Sean Connery, it's getting easier to accept Mr. Moore in the 007 role. He's really coming into his own by now. Overall, I liked it. It's entertaining enough, particularly the boat chase, Moore's second as Bond. Hard to beat the scenery, too -- Venice and Rio. Outstanding!

--A Kat Pirate Screener

Girls, Shuttles, and Jaws

Author: SnoopyStyle
23 December 2013

Roger Moore returns for another James Bond movie. This time someone steals a space shuttle mid-transport. He investigates Hugo Drax (Michael Lonsdale), the manufacturer of the shuttle, who turns out to be the man with the evil scheme. Bond follows clues across the globe while dodging Drax's assassins including Jaws (Richard Kiel). Along the way, CIA agent Dr. Holly Goodhead (Lois Chiles) joins forces with Bond.

There are a lot of hot girls in this one. Maybe that's why Lois Chiles don't stand out as a Bond girl. In this one, I remember much more of Jaws' girl Dolly. And quite frankly, Jaws remains the greatest Bond villain henchman ever.

The story is convoluted, and outlandish. They've literally gone out into space. The action is stretching out into exotic sightseeing. This is the formula now especially for Roger Moore. It works for a Bond movie. It's an escapist adventure.

One giant leap for Bond!

Author: ColonelLawrence from United Kingdom
7 September 2013

By far, MOONRAKER is the most far fetched and unique of all the Bond movies, simply because it too James Bond to a place he'd never been before, outer space, a place where audiences could never have envisaged the character of Bond going. At the end of THE SPY WHO LOVED ME(1977),audiences were told that the next Bond movie would be FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, but due to the release of STAR WARS:A NEW HOPE(1977)and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND(1977),Albert R Broccoli decided to make a Sci-fi flavoured Bond adventure and FFOR YOUR EYES ONLY was shelved for the time being. The story is like this, a Moonraker space shuttle owned by Drax industries in the USA is hijacked in transit on it's way to the UK,007(ROGER MOORE)investigates the hijacking and his findings lead him to the owner of the space shuttle,multi millionaire Hugo Drax(MICHAEL LONSDALE)who has created a deadly gas and plans to wipe out the entire human race and repopulate the earth with his own master race...

Although MOONRAKER is a fantastic film and is definitely on the side of the better Bond movies, although it is a little hard to believe that James Bond would actually go into space and that an entire regiment of US army rangers would follow to do battle with a megalomaniac as depicted in the films climax. Factors like these prompted me to ask "What were the producers and writers thinking"?, it is apparent that Broccoli and United Artists had been bitten by the Sci-fi bug that was sweeping the globe in the late 70s.The film was scripted solely by Christopher Wood, who had co scripted THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, at times it felt as if he had let his imagination run away with him, MOONRAKER doesn't really feel like a Bond movie but I enjoyed it anyhow.

At times I felt as if the film was reverting back to the stupidity of THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN(1974)as most of the action scenes got a little bit silly and were full of humour, however I did find them very amusing and they were excellent. The boat chase through Venice was great and I couldn't help but laugh as Bond Gondola mounts dry land and travels across the town square, I was very impressed by the sword/stick fight between Bond and Chang,check out how the two fight their way into a museum and trash the entire place. The cable car fight was also brilliantly done and the part where the cable car crashes through the building with Jaws inside the cable car was among one of the funniest scenes in the film, Jaws facial expression just says it all. The best action sequence of the whole film was the speedboat chase along the Amazon river, the way all the other boats exploded as they were hit with mines was fantastic, I nearly died laughing as Jaws rips the steering wheel off his boat before it plummets over a waterfall, again the look on his face is priceless. The battle in space at the end of the film was alright too but didn't compare with Bond's previous battles on earth. The funniest part of the film was the fight in mid air during the pre credits sequence, it was hilarious!,I had to pause the film because I was laughing so hard, it was just the sheer stupidity of it all, the way Bond and Jaws soar through the air and grapple with each other, the 007 theme playing in the background made it all the more funnier. The whole thing where Jaws gets a miniature sized girlfriend was a little silly but did manage to provoke laughter, I also loved the way he turns good at the end of the film and helps Bond fight Drax, it let audiences know that he was a gentle, loving man and not a colt blooded killer, look out for when he speaks at the end of the film, also the scene as 007 rides into a town on horseback to the theme of THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN(1960)was also a nice touch.

The whole science fiction subplot didn't really appeal to me as I'm not a Sci-fi fan, I think the film will appeal fans of this particular genre and younger Bond fans but I did have fun with the film. It was great to see Jaws back and the title song by Shirley Bassey was beautiful, I really did enjoy the film and it was made even more fun by the presence of Roger Moore, MOONRAKER was the very first Bond film I saw as a child so it will always have a special place in my heart. Thankfully, Albert R Broccoli would make FOR YOUR EYES ONLY two years later which would bring Bond firmly back down to earth.8/10.