IMDb > Moonraker (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Moonraker

Moonraker More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 30: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Out of this universe, this movie rocks!

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
11 September 2014

Ever since Roger Moore has taken the reigns of 007, he has been making some progress on Ian Fleming's character. This time, he meets Dr. Holly Goodhead(Lois Chiles), and the return of of "Jaws" from "The Spy Who Loved Me" Jaws(Richard Kiel, 1939-2014) is out for blood against Bond! After the failed parachute attack, he comes to help out a modern day Nazi named Hugo Drax(Michael Lonsdale). Jaws comes into place following Chang's(Toshiro Suga) fight against Bond which resulted in his last concerto. Holly Goodhead on the other hand is a CIA agent, who is helping Bond tracking down Drax. Not only Drax is a very rich man, he is also wanting to repopulate the Earth with his perfect specimen. So he hijacked his own shuttle, goes out in the jungles of Rio to find a rare orchid to wipe out mankind. So when Jaws is recruited, he ended up with a small blonde named Dolly(Blanche Ravalec). Even though, he has her, he still wants a piece of Bond, one way or the other. However, when he was in space with everyone, he felt more like a pawn than a partner with Drax. So he switched alliance, and become a hero. What was more touching, is when Jaws was able to find his small love, he grabs a bottle of Bollinger and says to her, "Well, Here's to us!" While he starts a new life, he helped out Bond for the last time. It's a great movie there. I enjoyed every minute of it. Jaws got redemption, no more killing for him there! Bond is at his usual self you know, Being a ladies' man..... A glass to you Richard Kiel. R.I.P! 5 stars!

part 11 is better then first 10

Author: jacobjohntaylor1 from Barry's bay Ontario Canada
8 July 2014

This is part 11 to the James Bond movies. All the James Bond movies are great. This one is better then all the James Bond movies that came before it. There are better James Bond movies that came after like For eyes only. O.c.t.o.p.u.s.s.y is also better. A view to a kill is also better. I do not think they is any thing wrong with a James Bond movie that is realistic. But I think that it should no be the b all end all. Realistic only matters so mush for documentaries. The James Bond movies are action movies. What is more important in these movies is how entertaining it is. No one goes to a middle earth movie and worries about how realistic it is. Realistic does not matter in movies most of the time. Sean Connery and Daniel Greg are great as James Bond. But Roger Moore is better. See all the James Bond movies. They are awesome. So what if this one is less realistic then the ones that came before it. It is awesome.

Easily one of the BEST of the Moore Era

Author: Wuchak from Ohio/PA border
3 October 2013

I steered clear of MOONRAKER (1979) for years because critics unanimously said it was awful. In 2003 I systematically went through the Moore era and finally came to MOONRAKER, fully expecting to see a real dog. Wow, was I wrong! MOONRAKER is thoroughly entertaining from beginning to end and one of the best films of Roger Moore's 7-film stint in the series.

THE PLOT: Bond investigates Hugo Drax (Michael Lonsdale) after a space shuttle on loan to the British is stolen. James slowly discovers that Drax has a mad scheme to re-create a human race of perfect human specimens. The giant villainous sidekick Jaws (Richard Kiel) returns from THE SPY WHO LOVED ME (1977) as 007 teams up with the beautiful Dr. Holly Goodhead (Lois Chiles). The story climaxes with a spectacular space battle at Drax' space station.

WHAT WORKS: Everything in MOONRAKER is over the top! The locations, the action, the villain's mad scheme, the humor, the seriousness, Jaws and the space-battle finale. This works fabulously because Bond films were never meant to be deep, thought-provoking pieces of art, but rather grandiose pieces of thrilling eye candy.

One thing that I demand in any Bond adventure is great globe-trotting and spectacular locations. This is one of the reasons I consider LICENCE TO KILL (1989) weak, but MOONRAKER delivers in spades! The film starts out with breathtaking scenes high above Napa Valley, California, as Bond engages in a thrilling sky-diving duel. From there we get France, Venice, Rio De Janeiro, the jungles of Brazil & Guatemala and the spectacular Iguazu Waterfalls, Argentina.

Lois Chiles is one of the more beautiful and competent Bond "girls." Of course her name -- "Dr. Goodhead" -- is ludicrous in the tradition of Pussy Galore and Chew Mee (lol).

Drax is a formidable, serious nemesis contrasted by the cartoony villainy of Jaws.

WHAT DOESN'T WORK: The film works on every level in entertaining the viewer, but -- depending on one's tastes -- some people may have one or two cavils. For instance, many criticize the goofy humor associated with Jaws. The good thing is that it's really funny and you'll likely bust out laughing a number of times. Regardless, the picture remains an essentially serious story, albeit totally outlandish, which is in keeping with the series (e.g. GOLDFINGER and YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE).

Others object to the notion of Bond in space. I don't get this beef. He's been all over the earth and in every ocean, why not have an adventure in space for something new? Some have criticized that MOONRAKER was trying to go "Star Wars", but this makes no sense; MOONRAKER has nothing in common with "Star Wars." It's like arguing that THUNDERBALL ripped-off "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" because it has underwater scenes.

Something else I'd like to point out: One of the reasons I steered clear from MOONRAKER for so many years was because I thought most of the film took place in space, and space is not something I seek in a Bond flick, but this isn't the case. Bond doesn't go up in space until over an hour & a half into the story! Overall, only 23% of the film takes place in space. More importantly, the climax is actually interesting and exciting unlike the ending of, say, THE SPY WHO LOVED, which was boring.

FINAL ANALYSIS: Roger Moore has done more Bond films than any other actor (which is only matched by Sean Connery if you include his unofficial 1983 entry NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN). Roger started the role in 1973 when he was 45 and ended in 1985 at the age of 57 (!!). Regardless of his age he always looked great and perfectly convincing as 007 -- yes, even in A VIEW TO A KILL. His films contained more humor and action than the slightly-more-serious early 60's films, which were fantastical and absurd in their own way (e.g. Oddball's killer hat, etc.), but Moore's stint isn't so different when you consider Connery's later films, like YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and especially DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER. Many prefer the Connery era, and I certainly appreciate those films, but I find the Moore era to be the most consistently entertaining in the series. Every one of his films was successful at the box office and MOONRAKER was the most successful Bond film until Pierce Brosnan's GOLDENEYE in 1995. There's not a dud in Moore's bunch. They're colorful, vibrant and full of pizazz.

The film runs 126 minutes.

GRADE: A-

This movie is freaking kick ass......

Author: hjosephmac from United States
22 August 2007

"Moonraker" is one of the most awesome movies I have seen in my entire life. Bond and Space together!!! How can you go wrong?! To review this movie, let us consider each of the characters.

James Bond (Roger Moore): James Bond is a beast in this movie. I mean, he beats the ninja's ass, he bangs two babes (one while in space), and he saves the world from an evil Nazi from space. What more could he possibly do?

Hugo Drax: He has always been my favorite Bond villain (of course it helps we have the same first name). I mean, to begin with, he is a PIMP. Look at all those girls around him, it is like damn Drax you are fly. He lives in space. He shoots lasers. He wants to take over the world. He likes pressing people to cucumber sandwiches. He feeds his exes to dogs. This man is the coolest dude to ever grace the silver screen.

Jaws: He is my favorite henchman in a Bond film (ever since I reached the Aztec Comples in Goldeneye). I mean, come on, he has freaking metal teeth and is like 8 feet tall. Plus he gets a woman, although I always thought he could do better than Dolly. I love him here. I love him in "The Spy Who Loved Me" (movie and book where he's 'The Horror'). I love him in "Goldeneye" and "Everything or Nothing", too. Here's hoping he's back for Bond 22.

The Girls: I have always thought Bond is at his best when he's with a Russian chick (besides Natalya who Goldeneye 64 convinced me to hate with a passion). Obviously here he isn't but oh well. The girls pass.

The Song: The main song of this movie is freaking sweet. I have the Best of Bond CD and love blasting it through the streets.

Overall: "Moonraker" is awesome. I recommend it to guys who like movies (especially movies with lasers and spacemen).

bond in space

Author: vvjti
25 April 2009

Moonraker is a jolly bond film. It stars roger moores bond and the tone in the 70s is humour. this is reflected on screen and gives the film a positive tone. Moonraker has pretty actresses lois chiles (who had just starred in death on the nile) and corinne clery. the film was made with french and USA help and the presence of french actors corinne clery and michael lonsdale add to the film. there are a number of memorable moments in moonraker- the freefalling parachute sequence, the sequence on top of the cable cars, the chasing dogs, the presence of laser guns and Bond and Holly popping up at the end on the MI6 screens. the film is also known for the return of jaws. the character was huge in the previous film and he turns good in this film. the film was inspired by star wars and it's part of the adventure of space. the romance in moonraker is also an uplifting element and it was a very popular film when released in cinema

Maybe too fanciful but still enjoyable

Author: michelerealini from Switzerland
4 October 2005

After "The spy who loved me" Bond producers wanted to do "For your eyes only". But the massive "Star Wars" success made them change their mind -sending 007 to space.

"Moonraker" (1979) is maybe too fanciful and slapstick, with too many special effects, stunts and gadgets. The film goes too far away also from the previous movie ("The spy"), which was perfect.

But "Moonraker" is very well done, from a technical point of view it's a masterpiece. It's surprising to see how everything was made with accuracy -for movies, in 1978-79, there were neither computers nor CGI effects.

The film is really funny and entertaining, with beautiful sceneries and sets. Venice, France, California, Brazil and Guatemala are the fantastic locations. Scenes in the space are only in the last 30 minutes of the movie -so it's not true that the film is entirely set in the space, as some detractors say.

The film contains also homages to "The magnificent seven", "Close encounters of the third kind" and "2001" -discover them! 7,5/10

It Uses and Unconventional Approach, but it Is Fun and Impressive

Author: TimBoHannon from Seattle Washington area
15 February 2012

A Bond movie's pre-title section often indicates how the rest of the movie will be. There are a few exceptions; "Moonraker" is not one of them. James Bond (Roger Moore) is on the "last leg" of a mission, introduced with the first of many genuinely funny puns in this movie. Naturally, the unnamed villains plan to eradicate Bond, leading to an action scene in free fall with one parachute too few. It is nonsensical, but genuinely entertaining, thanks partly to composer John Barry's music. This scene is not fitting in a James Bond movie, yet, like the rest of the movie, it is great fun to watch.

Goofiness has decimated more than a fair share of Bond movies. "Moonraker" does not fall victim itself because the filmmakers did not try to mix silly with serious, and never made a mockery of their characters. That is the reason I was pleasantly surprised on my first viewing. I responded negatively after my second because I started to analyze it. I should not have been so serious. The enjoyment I felt the first time gave me all the information I need. Just because I did not understand why I enjoyed it the first time does not mean I have to hate it.

"Moonraker" is one of the two least popular Bond movies among the series' hardcore fans. It also made the most money until "GoldenEye," and drew the most viewers and repeat viewers of all the Bond movies between Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan. No matter how different the movie's tone is from the "James Bond standard," it has enough positives to stand on its own. That is why both critics and audiences in 1979 voiced approval with their money and keyboards.

Its production set at least three world records that are still unbroken: most break-away glass in one fight, largest sound stage ever used in France, and the greatest number of actors in simulated weighlessness. Ken Adam became a legendary production designer with his work on the James Bond movies. "Moonarker" is his final, and he saved his best for last. The fact that the two-time Oscar winner was not even nominated for his work in "Moonraker" is a sad example of how political the Academy is. Like the movie or not, the Venice, Amazon, and space station sets are more than likely to impress even the most skeptical Bond fan.

After reporting to his boss's secretary (Lois Maxwell) that he fell out of a plane without a parachute, Bond is tasked with investigating the loss of an American space shuttle that disappeared en route to England. He first visits Hugo Drax (Michael Lonsdale), the shuttle's owner. When informed that the shuttle itself was not destroyed, Drax offers full co- operation, then orders Bond's elimination as soon as the latter leaves the room. I have either discussed or viewed this movie with a number of people. Even though this twist occurs less than 20 minutes in, the movie conceals Drax's villainy so well that none of these people suspected him.

Drax's plot takes implausibility to its highest level. I will give no details except to say that it makes Karl Stromberg's grand scheme from the previous movie look sophisticated and sane. As advertised, the story boldly takes 007 where no British spy has gone before. Drax's space station remains the coolest set in the series. The simulated weightlessness remains impressive to watch more than 30 years later.

In tune with the movie's comical nature, Drax is often unwilling to harm Bond unless he can amuse himself with the creativity of it. Drax has more off-beat lines than the next two or thee Bond villains combined. I am not sure there is anybody who would seriously say, "you appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season" or greet a stranger with, "you have arrived at a propitious moment," but Drax has at least a dozen such lines. Lonsdale adds surreal humor to his role by speaking them with an almost bored somberness. A majority of actors work a whole career without having to say anything so weird. If Lonsdale realized that back in 1979, he certainly was not going to let anybody know.

In the meantime, Jaws (Richard Kiel) from the previous movie is back. Jaws' outrageous physical power and invulnerability made him a liability in the previous movie. "Moonraker" stretches it and uses it as a reliable comic device. In one scene, he stops a gondola wheel with his bare hands. The wheel starts to move again, but one look from Jaws makes it think twice about being rebellious.

The gadgets feature not one, but two special made boats. The first can convert to a hovercraft. Of course, Bond takes advantage of it, just in time for Victor Tourjansky to make another appearance as The Man with the Bottle in arguably the best running joke in the series. Q (Desmond Llewelyn) tops off his contribution by ending the movie with one of the cleverest double entendres in history.

Does all of this lavish praise equal a recommendation? Perhaps it does. My girlfriend condemned "For Your Eyes Only," Roger Moore's most serious Bond movie, as too cheesy. "Moonraker" joined "Tomorrow Never Dies" and "From Russia with Love" as her favorites. That told a lot to me about how the casual Bond fan views "Moonraker." It does not deserve elite status because it does not deliver the excitement a Bond movie should, neither is it an example of great movie-making even with numerous strengths. That noted, it sells out completely to its premise and is not reluctant to take the extra effort to entertain. I disagree with the filmmakers' comedic approach, but they did aim to entertain. In that area, they succeeded. For that, I give "Moonraker" seven out of ten stars.

Don't Listen To The Critics !!!

Author: Tom Willis from Georgia, USA
11 March 2011

My, how Moonraker has received some unfair reviews. I must have been watching a different movie because I consider this to not only be one of the best 007 films but also the peak of Roger Moore's career as Bond. I suppose I will have to make an attempt to defend the goodness of Moonraker: For one, the plot of this movie at the time was somewhat original and futuristic. Even now, it still stands out to a lesser degree. Second, the gadgets (one weapon in particular) made for a nice little battle at the end of the movie. Third, the Bond girl known as Dr. Goodhead is quite the attractive intellectual who can hold her own despite her cover. Fourth, the main villain while lacking personality is sinister and has some catchy dialog. Fifth, here it comes... the return of JAWS. Yes, the metal mouth giant played by the same actor comes back for his second and unfortunately final outing in the 007 film series. Though JAWS doesn't get quite as much screen time he got in Spy Who Loved Me, his performance suffers no less and still brings much entertainment to the action scenes that he is in. One more thing about JAWS and then I will move on... I really liked how his character turned out near the end of Moonraker. Without giving spoilers, this is one reason I wish JAWS was brought back a third time. The other reason of course being that his character is just so unique to begin with. Seriously, I don't think MGM noticed the potential franchise they could have had with this particular Bond character. To finally move on, the pacing might not have been quite up to par as it was with the Spy Who Loved Me and I think that is one problem critics had with Moonraker. As for me, the pacing didn't ruin a thing and I can't think of any major or central moment as to where the pacing lagged. Another reason critics bashed Moonraker is because of it's "over the top futuristic plot theme". I beg to differ; this is part of what made Moonraker stand out from the typical and occasionally overused 007 formula. Trust me folks, Moonraker holds up there with its predecessor that critics so dearly praised though rightfully so and as I commented at the start; this may have been a peak in the 007 series especially considering a few of the future Bond films that came after it.

Thunderball in space...James Bond in the 25th century...Moon Wars...

Author: dfle3 from Australia
12 August 2010

11th of 23 Bond movies.

This is an entertaining movie but it sort of comes across as a futuristic reboot of the franchise...it's perhaps best to see it in that light, but there are some recurring characters which tie it closer to the time...which is unfortunate, as pretty much the most annoying thing about the movie is the Star Wars style laser guns, which feature later. It's anachronistic. However, since 1977's "Star wars" movie soon became the highest grossing movie of all time, it's perhaps unsurprising that this Bond film borrowed some ideas from it...with regard to weapons and setting.

Bond formula:

Exotic settings -

U.S.A, Venice, Rio de Janeiro and...outer space!

Plot -

A space shuttle manufactured by Sir Hugo Drax's Drax Industries disappears. The pre-title sequence shows what happened here. That sequence is what made me refer to this movie as "Thunderball in space" in my header...there is an equivalent sequence to this in Sean Connery's turn as Bond in "You only live twice".

Anyway, Bond must investigate the circumstances of the shuttle's disappearance.

Gun barrel sequence...check.

Pre-title sequence -

The greatest to this point, in my view...and quite possibly the best ever in the franchise. It really defies belief!

Main title theme song -

One of the great elements of Sean Connery's incarnation as James Bond was the great Shirley Bassey singing the theme song to some of his movies. "Le grande fromage" returns for one last great song...perhaps her best in the series. It's beautiful. Hal David wrote the lyrics.

Q -

Usually not much to say about the man, as I don't usually include what technology he provides to Bond in my reviews. However, I must say that Q's line right near the end of the movie is killer! He usually doesn't get that sort of quality dialogue!

Silly female names -

Dr. Holly Goodhead work for you?

Sexism -

Check. Bond is paternalistic here, at times. There is a good, awkward moment between Bond and Goodhead when they first meet. She has some good lines to use on him! Bit of a war of the sexes here.

Wine snobbery -

Check. Bond says "Bollinger. If it's '69, you were expecting me!". Hmm, seem to recall reading somewhere that that the wines that Bond values in the movies aren't really that well regarded by real wine connoisseurs!

End teaser...check.

Things of interest:

* Sir Hugo Drax is one of the better Bond characters...he has some marvellous lines to Bond...like the one about Britain's one indisputable great contribution to Western society...afternoon tea! Ouch!

* Animal lovers take note...some pheasants are shot in this movie as part of game hunting...but it's OK...Bond was shooting them in self-defence!

* If by this movie you can't spot the product placement, you really must get your eyesight checked!

* Bond comes across as a little bit creepy at times in this movie...sort of a stalker...which isn't really very spy-ish. Other aspects of his spy 'technique' seem to leave a little to be desired too!

* Not that Connery's Bond films were never silly at times, but here the comic book aspects are magnified and amplified...Q Division is in hyper-drive and Jaws is more of a comic book creation here...listen for the aural hint that Jaw's teeth aren't the only things made of metal on his body!

* General Gogol returns in this movie.

Notes to self -

* big words I do not understand...bolas/vassar funambulists.

* Is this true?...the orchidea nigra was worshipped once? Stuff about sterility...caused by this plant?

* re gravity...20g is apparently fatal. 3g is what astronauts launching into space experience. At 7g most people pass out. Bond experiences at least 14g. That's a memorable scene...nicely done...wonder how they done it.

This is a good, entertaining movie, but I get the feeling that the comic book aspects to it may alienate some people...not me, so much.

goodbye Mr bond!!!!!!!

Author: starfox-4 from United Kingdom
28 April 2006

"Moonraker" by ludo.t (starfox-4)

Following the humongous financial success of the original Star Wars movie in 1977 and of the tenth Bond movie (The Spy Who Loved Me, 1977), producer Cubby Broccoli and returning director Lewis Gilbert could only see one way to continue the Bond saga in order to ensure larger revenue for the eleventh Bond outing: By sending James Bond in outer space!

Clearly listening to their fans who loved gigantic henchman Jaws from the previous movie, Gilbert and script writer Christopher Wood had to bring back the popular character. However, Wood basically ignored everything from Ian Fleming's third novel written in 1955. Moonraker is the story of how megalomaniac Hugo Drax (Michael Lonsdale) plans to create a master race of superior human specimens in outer space on his space station while wiping out the entire world population using a toxic nerve gas. Drax then plans for future generations to return to Earth and re-populate it, as his toxin would not have armed any animal or plant.

With Moonraker, James Bond became science fiction, to many people's chagrin. Fortunately, Bond would return to the spy thriller genre for the next film (For Your Eyes Only, 1981). Many fans feel that Moonraker went too far! Others feel that original story from the Fleming novel is far superior and more interesting than the unbelievable storyline in outer space. Does James Bond belong in a laser gun fight? Nevertheless, Roger Moore's fourth outing as James Bond is certainly one of his funniest, with a script packed with humour and play on words.

The first half of the movie is very similar to any typical Bond adventure. Bond has to travel to Hugo Drax's residence to investigate the disappearance of a Moonraker shuttle. Bond seduces Drax assistant Corine DuFour (Corrine Clery), and goes through Drax's safe, finding blueprints for glassware made by Venini Glass. Escaping from two attempts on his life, Bond leaves Drax and henchman Chang (Toshiro Suga) for Venice, where he follows Drax employee Dr. Holly Goodhead (Lois Chiles) to Venini Glass. Bond later finds a secret laboratory where the glassware is being used to store a deadly chemical. Bond attempts to inform M, but Drax manages to move his laboratory before Bond can show any incriminating evidence to his superior. Bond is now left with two clues: a packaging slip from C&W, and a phial containing the deadly chemical. Teaming up with Holly Goodhead who reveals herself as a CIA agent, Bond travels to Rio DE Janeiro where he finds an empty C&W warehouse. Q informs Bond that the chemical is a black orchid from the upper reaches of the Amazon. Bond makes his way to a hidden base in the Amazon, where Drax is launching various Moonraker shuttles in space.

Up to this point, the storyline makes perfect sense, as Bond finds clues which leads him to different locations. He also uncovers that Holly Goodhead is a CIA agent, and finally ends in a typical situation: having to save the world from a villain wanting its destruction. For the second time, Bond finds his way into an astronaut uniform, but this time, he does travel to space (as opposed to You Only Live Twice in 1965 where 007 is identified as an intruder and removed from the shuttle).

If viewers can accept the unbelievable storyline in the last quarter of the movie, that their favourite spy finds his way in a Moonraker shuttle, having to team up with Jaws to battle Drax's army in a laser gun fight and having to destroy globes carrying the deadly chemical before they reach the Earth's atmosphere, the movie can be quite enjoyable.

Learning from past mistakes, such as casting a dreadful actress for an important role (such as the awful Barbara Bach as secret agent Triple X in The Spy Who Loved Me), Gilbert and Broccoli chose an actress who could be believable as a CIA agent in Lois Chiles. Not being the most beautiful or talented actress, Chiles still delivered a convincing performance as Holly Goodhead. The returning Jaws and the fight between 007 and henchman Chang in the Venini Glass store were quite entertaining. Jaws was unfortunately not much of a threat to Bond, being used as comic relief throughout the movie and probably turned as a "good guy" due to his popularity with the younger audience.

In The thirty silly minutes in space and having Frederick Gray & M go on the field to see the Drax laboratory (why would they ever do this?) isn't enough to tarnish a very good film. Moonraker is one of Roger Moore's best Bond, and easily better than The Spy Who Loved Me. We can look at the positives. The opening half hour is quite excellent, full of drama, brilliant dialogue, lots of real spying, and genuine suspense and action. Plus a beautiful, haunting theme song performed by Shirley Bassey.All as good as if not better than anything TSWLM had to offer. Even after that, we are treated to wonderful locations, more real spying (in Vienna), a terrific fight in a glass factory, and the eerie beauty of the Amazonian siren sequence. But all of this is offset by some of the series most ludicrous scenes. Dolly! Jaws becomes a wimp! Funny little spacemen shooting lasers! The cable car fight! That Bondola! And so on.

Rating 9.9/10