IMDb > Moonraker (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Moonraker

Moonraker More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 28: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Not Great, But Still A Likable Bond Movie

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
10 January 2006

Without Sean Connery in the starring role, I wasn't expecting that much, so this was a pleasant surprise because I found it to be one of the better Bond movies. I'm not saying it was one of the better-made, just one I enjoyed more than most.

Except for Roger Moore as Bond, the actors in here are mostly no-names. However, it was entertaining, had some good action scenes, lots of pretty woman, almost no profanity and some nice European and American scenery. The opening six minutes of action was great as were the opening credits.

Gee, I sound like I'm describing almost all the Bond movies. Well, I just felt this one is a notch above most of them in the categories listed above. The only negative to me was the ending, unfortunately. It was just too hokey and didn't live up to the excellence of the first 100 minutes.

part 11 is better then first 10

Author: jacobjohntaylor1 from Barry's bay Ontario
8 July 2014

This is part 11 to the James Bond movies. All the James Bond movies are great. This one is better then all the James Bond movies that came before it. There are better James Bond movies that came after like For eyes only. O.c.t.o.p.u.s.s.y is also better. A view to a kill is also better. I do not think they is any thing wrong with a James Bond movie that is realistic. But I think that it should no be the b all end all. Realistic only matters so mush for documentaries. The James Bond movies are action movies. What is more important in these movies is how entertaining it is. No one goes to a middle earth movie and worries about how realistic it is. Realistic does not matter in movies most of the time. Sean Connery and Daniel Greg are great as James Bond. But Roger Moore is better. See all the James Bond movies. They are awesome. So what if this one is less realistic then the ones that came before it. It is awesome.

Not the finest Bond film,but still quite good,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
25 July 2012

Moonraker is a good movie with a great cast,good action and a great storyline.Obviously,Moonraker is not the best Bond film ever made and not Roger Moores finest movie either,but its still very good and I find it to be very underrated by critics.The actors I enjoyed the most in it are Roger Moore as James Bond,obviously,and I also really enjoyed Richard Kiels role as Jaws,who I found to be a scary,but also very funny character.

James Bond(Roger Moore) investigates along with his partner Dr. Holly Goodhead (Lois Chiles),after a mysterious mid-air theft of a space shuttle with has clearly gotten into the wrong hands of Hugo Drax (Michael Lonsdale).

007 Goes Space Tripping!

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
27 January 2012

Albert R. Broccoli sneaked into George Lucas' backyard--outer space--with director Lewis Gilbert on the eleventh James Bond epic "Moonraker," the absolutely most outlandish 007 thriller ever made. Basically, "Moonraker" was an overblown version of "Goldfinger" with an audacious battle sequence at the end with Space Marines storming a space station established by the ambitious villain. All Bond movies are essentially alike, being stitched together with episodes from other Bonds. Hugo Drax steals a space shuttle on loan to the United States from Britain and M dispatches 007 to investigate. The pre-credit sequence where Bond performs a free-fall without a parachute is one of the best in franchise. Later, when Bond is strapped into the gravity simulator, he emerges looking pretty wiped out. The scene is the most realistic of any Roger Moore Bond. The gondola scene in Venice is rather far out and goes over the top later when Bond's gondola becomes hovercraft. Jaws who had menaced Bond in "The Spy Who Loved Me" returned but he was no longer a villain as he joined sides with 007. "Moonraker" ranks as one of John Barry's best orchestral scores, especially the bits during the theft of the space shuttle at the beginning. The riff on "The Magnificent Seven" in South America is cool as well as the monastery that serves as a training ground for spies. One of Q's coolest gadgets is the sleeping sombrero clad fellow who turns out to be shell concealing a machine gun. Lots of fun!

Moonraker is Awesome

Author: trnjamesbond (trnjamesbond@aol.com) from Canada
15 November 2012

I grew up watching Bond films as a kid, and that was during the 1980's, my late mother was a huge fan, and I always heard as a kid that Moonraker was the worst of the Bond films and then chose to ignore it.

I didn't get around to watching it, until I was almost 27 years old. I'm now 35, I was born in 77 so do the math. Well regardless I think this is now one of my favourite films, not just a Bond film, but a space film. I love everything about this film, it has class, great acting, great special effects(for it's time), and also a great score. I loved all the space scenes, they were reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I know Star Wars is the only reason Bond went to space in 1979, but still, it has great atmosphere, with an awesome technological story. They saved the best for last in this film, and I loved every minute of it.

An arch villain trying to take over the world through some kind of atmospheric plague, creating a new super race. Sounds a lot like the idiot Hitler in WWII. Except this is on a more modern scale.

I love this film for what it is, and love it as part of Bond history. Moore is excellent. I'm also not here to argue what actor played Bond the best, nor am I here to argue the point of what Bond film was the greatest. I just really love this instalment in the Bond series, and will love watching it for years to come.

James Bond in space!!??

Author: stephengward from Suffolk, England
18 March 2000

Where do I start? Well, Roger Moore's fourth 007 epic is indeed a poor affair to say the least. After the success of previous Bond movie 'The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)' the Bond franchisers lose the plot completely with this entry in the long-running series. I'm a die hard Bond fan, I love the films and find it difficult to find fault in them. However, whilst the film has certain redeeming features, in general this is bad!! Moonraker contains the lowest point in which the 007 movies have sunk too - steel toothed villain Jaws falling in love!! Its all too formulaic and is no more than Bond by the numbers. Released in 1979 and the first not to be made at Pinewood studios in England, it cashed in on the space craze which hit the silver screen at the end of the seventies (predominately due to the success of Star Wars). At the time the most expensive Bond film ever made, its not difficult to see that the majority of the alloted budget went to special effects rather than to that of the script! The character of 007 has never been so diminished then it is here in this movie. Bond is now merely a tool that demonstrates gadgets and not quick wits. The film can be entertaining if you can over look previous great 007 films such as 'From Russia With Love' and 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service'. For its when you compare this offering to those movies you realise how far off the rails the series has gone. Shirley Bassey provides the theme song for the third and final time, its nice enough but not particularly memorable. Bernard Lee makes his final appearance as 'M'. If you're a 12 year-old and you like mindless sci-fi movies that require little attention span, then this is the Bond for you! Sorry to stereotype, but in actual fact most people I've chatted with who like this movie fall into this category. Bond films always provide a sense of deja vu. That's fine by me, its part of the charm of the series, in essence all (bar one or two) follow the same winning story line and it works well. Moonraker stretches credibility way too far without success. Thankfully producer Albert R. Broccoli took heed of this and returned the good commander to earth in 'For Your Eyes Only (1981).

Worst James Bond ever!

Author: Nick Rhodes
18 May 2005

This has to be the most ridiculous James Bond movie i have ever seen. The thing that made it so revolting was the scenes with Jaws and finding that girl and the premise that he goes from trying to kill Bond and then becomes his friend was so bad. And stealing a space shuttle gave the impression that the producers wanted to give a futuristic spin on the series and it flopped big time. Thank God they got back on track with For Your Eyes Only. An excellent plot driven movie. I skipped seeing Moonraker for a long time cause i heard it was awful, i wished i never saw it because it was 10 times worse than i thought it would be! So take my advice, skip this movie at all costs and see For Your Eyes Only or Man With The Golden Gun instead.

Why, God, why?

Author: Avatar-29 from Terre Haute, IN
22 July 1999

Why did anyone involved with this wonderful franchise allow this trite to be filmed? Why couldn't someone with a conscience have burned the final print before it was released? Why did they allow Roger Moore to continue playing Bond when he was over 50??

If you haven't gotten the picture yet, this is, by far, the absolute worst of the series. There are a few decent scenes, but, let's face it, the whole space station battle thing was idiotic. Then, there's Jaws. He went from a terrifying villain to a comedic sidekick. The acting is horrendous on all fronts, the story is horrible (read the book by Fleming, which has a much more insidious, believable plot), and, unfortunately, it's the last one Bernard Lee (M) is in. DON'T SEE THIS MOVIE.

Out of this universe, this movie rocks!

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
11 September 2014

Ever since Roger Moore has taken the reigns of 007, he has been making some progress on Ian Fleming's character. This time, he meets Dr. Holly Goodhead(Lois Chiles), and the return of of "Jaws" from "The Spy Who Loved Me" Jaws(Richard Kiel, 1939-2014) is out for blood against Bond! After the failed parachute attack, he comes to help out a modern day Nazi named Hugo Drax(Michael Lonsdale). Jaws comes into place following Chang's(Toshiro Suga) fight against Bond which resulted in his last concerto. Holly Goodhead on the other hand is a CIA agent, who is helping Bond tracking down Drax. Not only Drax is a very rich man, he is also wanting to repopulate the Earth with his perfect specimen. So he hijacked his own shuttle, goes out in the jungles of Rio to find a rare orchid to wipe out mankind. So when Jaws is recruited, he ended up with a small blonde named Dolly(Blanche Ravalec). Even though, he has her, he still wants a piece of Bond, one way or the other. However, when he was in space with everyone, he felt more like a pawn than a partner with Drax. So he switched alliance, and become a hero. What was more touching, is when Jaws was able to find his small love, he grabs a bottle of Bollinger and says to her, "Well, Here's to us!" While he starts a new life, he helped out Bond for the last time. It's a great movie there. I enjoyed every minute of it. Jaws got redemption, no more killing for him there! Bond is at his usual self you know, Being a ladies' man..... A glass to you Richard Kiel. R.I.P! 5 stars!

goodbye Mr bond!!!!!!!

Author: starfox-4 from United Kingdom
28 April 2006

"Moonraker" by ludo.t (starfox-4)

Following the humongous financial success of the original Star Wars movie in 1977 and of the tenth Bond movie (The Spy Who Loved Me, 1977), producer Cubby Broccoli and returning director Lewis Gilbert could only see one way to continue the Bond saga in order to ensure larger revenue for the eleventh Bond outing: By sending James Bond in outer space!

Clearly listening to their fans who loved gigantic henchman Jaws from the previous movie, Gilbert and script writer Christopher Wood had to bring back the popular character. However, Wood basically ignored everything from Ian Fleming's third novel written in 1955. Moonraker is the story of how megalomaniac Hugo Drax (Michael Lonsdale) plans to create a master race of superior human specimens in outer space on his space station while wiping out the entire world population using a toxic nerve gas. Drax then plans for future generations to return to Earth and re-populate it, as his toxin would not have armed any animal or plant.

With Moonraker, James Bond became science fiction, to many people's chagrin. Fortunately, Bond would return to the spy thriller genre for the next film (For Your Eyes Only, 1981). Many fans feel that Moonraker went too far! Others feel that original story from the Fleming novel is far superior and more interesting than the unbelievable storyline in outer space. Does James Bond belong in a laser gun fight? Nevertheless, Roger Moore's fourth outing as James Bond is certainly one of his funniest, with a script packed with humour and play on words.

The first half of the movie is very similar to any typical Bond adventure. Bond has to travel to Hugo Drax's residence to investigate the disappearance of a Moonraker shuttle. Bond seduces Drax assistant Corine DuFour (Corrine Clery), and goes through Drax's safe, finding blueprints for glassware made by Venini Glass. Escaping from two attempts on his life, Bond leaves Drax and henchman Chang (Toshiro Suga) for Venice, where he follows Drax employee Dr. Holly Goodhead (Lois Chiles) to Venini Glass. Bond later finds a secret laboratory where the glassware is being used to store a deadly chemical. Bond attempts to inform M, but Drax manages to move his laboratory before Bond can show any incriminating evidence to his superior. Bond is now left with two clues: a packaging slip from C&W, and a phial containing the deadly chemical. Teaming up with Holly Goodhead who reveals herself as a CIA agent, Bond travels to Rio DE Janeiro where he finds an empty C&W warehouse. Q informs Bond that the chemical is a black orchid from the upper reaches of the Amazon. Bond makes his way to a hidden base in the Amazon, where Drax is launching various Moonraker shuttles in space.

Up to this point, the storyline makes perfect sense, as Bond finds clues which leads him to different locations. He also uncovers that Holly Goodhead is a CIA agent, and finally ends in a typical situation: having to save the world from a villain wanting its destruction. For the second time, Bond finds his way into an astronaut uniform, but this time, he does travel to space (as opposed to You Only Live Twice in 1965 where 007 is identified as an intruder and removed from the shuttle).

If viewers can accept the unbelievable storyline in the last quarter of the movie, that their favourite spy finds his way in a Moonraker shuttle, having to team up with Jaws to battle Drax's army in a laser gun fight and having to destroy globes carrying the deadly chemical before they reach the Earth's atmosphere, the movie can be quite enjoyable.

Learning from past mistakes, such as casting a dreadful actress for an important role (such as the awful Barbara Bach as secret agent Triple X in The Spy Who Loved Me), Gilbert and Broccoli chose an actress who could be believable as a CIA agent in Lois Chiles. Not being the most beautiful or talented actress, Chiles still delivered a convincing performance as Holly Goodhead. The returning Jaws and the fight between 007 and henchman Chang in the Venini Glass store were quite entertaining. Jaws was unfortunately not much of a threat to Bond, being used as comic relief throughout the movie and probably turned as a "good guy" due to his popularity with the younger audience.

In The thirty silly minutes in space and having Frederick Gray & M go on the field to see the Drax laboratory (why would they ever do this?) isn't enough to tarnish a very good film. Moonraker is one of Roger Moore's best Bond, and easily better than The Spy Who Loved Me. We can look at the positives. The opening half hour is quite excellent, full of drama, brilliant dialogue, lots of real spying, and genuine suspense and action. Plus a beautiful, haunting theme song performed by Shirley Bassey.All as good as if not better than anything TSWLM had to offer. Even after that, we are treated to wonderful locations, more real spying (in Vienna), a terrific fight in a glass factory, and the eerie beauty of the Amazonian siren sequence. But all of this is offset by some of the series most ludicrous scenes. Dolly! Jaws becomes a wimp! Funny little spacemen shooting lasers! The cable car fight! That Bondola! And so on.

Rating 9.9/10