IMDb > Moonraker (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Moonraker More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Likable Roger Moore in an amazing adventure set on exterior space

Author: ma-cortes
29 November 2010

Roger Moore's entry in which faces dangerous adventures around the world . Moore's outing with overwhelming action and spectacular scenarios , the film teams Bond with an American agent (gorgeous Lois Chiles) in an effort to stop an industrialist from destroying the surface world so he can rule an outland kingdom . After his first introduction in ¨Live and let die¨ as tough and attractive James Bond of the Ian Fleming's famous creation , Roger Moore went on playing various 007 , and ¨Moonraker¨ is one of the best . The picture starts with an overblown free-fall opening , the best part of this film and introducing a giant villain (Richard Kiel who will repeat in subsequent entry). This Bond film deals about seductive James Bond OO7 as the ultimate spy hero who is assigned by MI6 a dangerous mission pursuing an intergalactic mad man (Michael Lonsdale in a potentially sinister presence as the head baddie) . Meanwhile , Bond goes to Venice there happens a high-octane race and Bond discovers clues in Rio De Janeiro. James is double-crossed and continues to follow the lead , deciding to investigate in Amazonas . Following the tracks all lead a nasty billionaire , a maniacal villain who schemes a world conspiracy.

Roger Moore as James Bond is cool , he does remarkably well , he earns in irony, suavity and sympathy, however also has coldness ,cunning , intelligence and toughness . Here Bond is an efficient , relentless agent trying to chase obstinately the criminals , traveling around the world as always , as this globe-trotting story is set in England ,America, Venice, Amazonas , Rio De Janeiro and exterior space . Bond to achieve his aims , along the way uses violent means even pulling off brutal killings against enemies who wreak all sorts of havoc . As always Bond will use gadgets provided by ¨Q¨ (Desmond Llewelyn) . In addition , there appears the usual as Lois Maxwell, ¨MoneyPenny¨ , Sir Gray as Geoffrey Keen , Walter Goetell as Russian general and Bernard Lee's last appearance as ¨M¨ .

The picture contains comic-strip adventure , sensational pursuits , silly set pieces, great stunts, tongue-in check humor, frantic action packed , amazing gimmicks and stimulating images like are the happenings on the spectacular races, the breathtaking aerial scenes, and the spacial fights . As is like a roller-coaster , as is fast-paced, light, excitement, funny and entertaining ; it's a winner for oo7 fans and non-fans alike . The chase and suspense formula wears strong in this entry .Enjoyable title song by Shirley Bassey and stirring musical score fitting to action by the usual composer, the classic John Barry . Riveting and fancy main titles by habitual Maurice Binder , furthermore eye-popping production design by Ken Adam . It's brimming with colorful and fascinating cinematography by cameraman Jean Tournier. The motion picture produced by habitual producers, Albert R Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson , being professionally directed by Lewis Gilbert who directed various outings though with no originality . Director Gilbert keeps this moving at an incredibly fast pace and this story about every's favorite super-spy falling in love with a CIA agent is one of author Ian Fleming's best . The film will appeal to James Bond series's buffs but good for fans only ; because this one goes on far too long . Rating : 6'5 , well worth watching .

Not Great, But Still A Likable Bond Movie

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
10 January 2006

Without Sean Connery in the starring role, I wasn't expecting that much, so this was a pleasant surprise because I found it to be one of the better Bond movies. I'm not saying it was one of the better-made, just one I enjoyed more than most.

Except for Roger Moore as Bond, the actors in here are mostly no-names. However, it was entertaining, had some good action scenes, lots of pretty woman, almost no profanity and some nice European and American scenery. The opening six minutes of action was great as were the opening credits.

Gee, I sound like I'm describing almost all the Bond movies. Well, I just felt this one is a notch above most of them in the categories listed above. The only negative to me was the ending, unfortunately. It was just too hokey and didn't live up to the excellence of the first 100 minutes.

One of the Best.

Author: GenXer from Gurnee, IL
6 October 2007

It's interesting that some of the most beloved Bond films are also some of the worst (Thunderball, Diamonds Are Forever, For Your Eyes Only), and some of the most reviled are among the best (On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Moonraker, The Living Daylights).

This movie set a new high in entertainment value when it was released in 1979. It was the necessary upgrade of the franchise in the new era ushered in by Star Wars a couple of years earlier. It preserved the best of the genre (espionage intrigue, plot twists, Bond mystique, beautiful women, gadgets, humor, haunting cinematography, and mesmerizing music), but brought them out of the gloomy and cynical Cold War atmosphere and into a more futuristic and optimistic format. It kept the Bond franchise fun at a time when the standards for fun had taken a quantum leap.

Roger Moore does a nice job in his last credible portrayal of 007. Alas, his age became increasingly distracting starting with the next outing.

A lot of fun. Deserves much more credit than it is usually given.

Outer space now belongs to 007

Author: Aura V from Romania
20 October 2007

This is definitely on of the best Bond movie ever! 'Moonraker' is usually sniffed at by Bond buffs, who regard it as the nadir of the Moore films, but I love it. As a strapping lad growing up in the '70's, I always made a point of seeing the latest Bond, and having fish and chips with my mates afterwards. We didn't care if the films were faithful to Fleming, if there was too much humour, or if Roger Moore's acting was wooden, we went to have a jolly good time and did. We'd seen Connery's Bonds on telly but for us, Roger Moore was The Man. Suave, sophisticated and debonair. On leaving the theatre we'd attempt to recreate Bond's fights, usually resulting in one of us getting cautioned by the police. And the gadgets! 'Moonraker' outdid them all. I once tried to build Bond's wrist-dart gun. I don't think anybody walked out of a Timothy Dalton Bond feeling like they could conquer the world, but with Roger's we did. And we saw them more than once in cinemas. No matter how many actors play the role, he's the one I remember with most affection.

Another trend-setting film!

Author: mistymountain from United States
26 November 2006

About 2 years after the release of "Moonraker", NASA launched its first space shuttle, Columbia. This is the 2nd Bond film to involve rocket hijacking, since "You Only Live Twice". In this film, Bond tries to stop a madman from eliminating the human race on earth and breeding new life in outer space. Roger Moore does a superb job playing 007 with great wit and humor. Lois Chiles plays Dr. Holly Goodhead very well, and Michael Lonsdale is very convincing as the madman Hugo Drax. I found an editing goof the first time watching this. When Corinne (Corinne Clery) is seen running through the forest trying to escape Drax's hunting dogs, at first you see she's wearing beige shoes. Then in another angle, she's running with black high top boots for a second, then it's back to the beige shoes in the last angle.

Bond #11: Space trip

Author: unbrokenmetal from Hamburg, Germany
13 July 2008

"Moonraker" was the most expensive Bond ever, but after the success of "The Spy Who Loved Me", the producers were confident enough to take a step into the top budgets, also contemplating that after the blockbuster hit "Star Wars", a technical show up in space would sell. The movie was an immediate success, but apparently didn't become one of the most popular for the fans in long term, admittedly it has a few ups and downs. A very silly bit is the gondola, driving on land in Venice. The centrifuge, on the other hand, was a terrific idea. The opening sequence is a classic again: Bond falls out of a plane without a parachute, so he has to get one on the way down! The duel between Bond and Jaws (returned from "The Spy Who Loved Me") in the dizzying height of the cable railway is breathtaking. So is the beauty of Corinne Clery; not easy for Lois Chiles afterwards to get Bond's attention, but "take me around the world one more time" is a beautiful line. We get a Goldfinger type of villain again, a more sophisticated person though: Drax meets Bond early on, we know he's the bad guy, but we don't know what his plan is. The musical score of "Moonraker" includes quite a few ironic comments, but the western reference was a bit too obvious. The set design for Drax' base is remarkably different from the rocket base in "You Only Live Twice". While the latter was covering a huge round crater, Drax' controls in "Moonraker" are crammed in a rather narrow triangle room, but with a hundred screens nonetheless.

Fantastic Bond, unfairly criticised for space theme

Author: mattrochman from Australia
6 November 2011

Much like Tomorrow Never Dies, this is a great Bond that somehow copped a lot of criticism.

The plot unfolds evenly and with a good dose of intrigue. The main villain, Drax, admittedly is intent on carrying out another "end of the world" plot, but he is more dark, disturbing and cunning than most villains. Superbly acted and the Noah's Ark style plan had a degree of disturbing intelligence, compared with the usual nuclear missile / bomb / satellite plans in other Bonds.

Roger Moore was fantastic. Well settled into the role, he is cheeky, womanising, humorous, yet tough and sharp. The one liners were fun, the girls were both sexy and not one-dimension, though Lois Chiles was a bit wooden.

Once in space, too many were quick to think "oh god, it's Bond meets Star Wars" , when it was nothing of the sort. Although the effects look dated, the space battle was good for its time and the enthralling climax extended right to the final minutes of the movie, and fantastically signed off with a bit of great double entendre.

One you can watch over again and doesn't date as badly as other Bonds from the same time. Sure it had its corny moments, especially with Jaws, but who said Bond can't be a bit of cheesy fun at times!

Bond in space!

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
16 March 2012

At the end of 'The Spy Who Loved Me' we were promised that Bond would return in 'For Your Eyes Only'… that was before 'Star Wars' burst onto the world's cinema screens and suddenly everybody wanted science fiction! As well as tapping into the post 'Star Wars' demand for Sci-fi 'Moonraker' made use of space shuttles which a the time were still being prepared for they first flight. The film opens with the midair theft of a shuttle that is being loaned to Britain by its builder Drax Industries. Naturally Bond is assigned the case and is sent to California to meet Hugo Drax; the man whose company builds the shuttles. When people start trying to kill him it is clear that something untoward is doing on there. A document he sees leads him to Venice where he bumps into Dr. Holly Goodhead, a woman he first met at Drax's facility and who claimed to work for NASA. His searches lead to a lab that is manufacturing a deadly nerve gas. His next stop is in Rio where he bumps into Dr. Goodhead for a third time and discovers that she wasn't being entirely honest with him. After surviving a run in with Jaws he heads deep into the jungle and finds that Drax has built a shuttle launch facility. Sneaking onto a shuttle Bond and Goodhead are taken to Drax's orbital space station where they learn of his diabolical plan to kill everybody on Earth so he can repopulate it with his 'perfect people. Bond and Goodhead must stop him before he can succeed and in doing so the receive help from an unexpected quarter.

This film is obviously best remembered for the rather far-fetched space battle at the end; this is a shame as there are plenty of great moments before they get there; Bond's brush with death in a giant centrifuge, his fight in a glass museum, a confrontation with Jaws on a cable car above Rio and a great boat chase where he hang-glides over a waterfall just to name a few. Roger Moore continues to do well as Bond and Richard Kiel makes a welcome return as the steel-toothed Jaws. Drax is played by Michael Lonsdale who does a fine job and has some great lines. Lois Chiles gets to be more than just a pretty face as Dr. Goodhead; fighting alongside Bond and even piloting a shuttle. I know a lot of people will find this film sub-par due to its bandwagon jumping Sci-fi elements but I rather enjoyed it; silly moments included!

James Bond in space!!??

Author: stephengward from Suffolk, England
18 March 2000

Where do I start? Well, Roger Moore's fourth 007 epic is indeed a poor affair to say the least. After the success of previous Bond movie 'The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)' the Bond franchisers lose the plot completely with this entry in the long-running series. I'm a die hard Bond fan, I love the films and find it difficult to find fault in them. However, whilst the film has certain redeeming features, in general this is bad!! Moonraker contains the lowest point in which the 007 movies have sunk too - steel toothed villain Jaws falling in love!! Its all too formulaic and is no more than Bond by the numbers. Released in 1979 and the first not to be made at Pinewood studios in England, it cashed in on the space craze which hit the silver screen at the end of the seventies (predominately due to the success of Star Wars). At the time the most expensive Bond film ever made, its not difficult to see that the majority of the alloted budget went to special effects rather than to that of the script! The character of 007 has never been so diminished then it is here in this movie. Bond is now merely a tool that demonstrates gadgets and not quick wits. The film can be entertaining if you can over look previous great 007 films such as 'From Russia With Love' and 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service'. For its when you compare this offering to those movies you realise how far off the rails the series has gone. Shirley Bassey provides the theme song for the third and final time, its nice enough but not particularly memorable. Bernard Lee makes his final appearance as 'M'. If you're a 12 year-old and you like mindless sci-fi movies that require little attention span, then this is the Bond for you! Sorry to stereotype, but in actual fact most people I've chatted with who like this movie fall into this category. Bond films always provide a sense of deja vu. That's fine by me, its part of the charm of the series, in essence all (bar one or two) follow the same winning story line and it works well. Moonraker stretches credibility way too far without success. Thankfully producer Albert R. Broccoli took heed of this and returned the good commander to earth in 'For Your Eyes Only (1981).

The most entertaining movie of them all!

Author: qwertz123
2 December 2002

This is the most entertaining movie I have ever seen. And I have watched a lot of movies.

`Moonraker' is perfect in every way. It is much more than just an action movie such as the other Bonds.

This really is a piece of art. Surreal. Ingenious. Stunning.

Simply perfect.