Moonraker (1979) Poster

(1979)

310 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Criminally underrated Roger Moore's James Bond 007 flick my second favorite
ivo-cobra85 November 2017
Moonraker (1979) is criminally underrated and bashed by Bond fans and I know everyone is going to disagree with me. This is my second favorite James Bond 007 film and in my opinion not yours Roger Moore's best film. This is the eleventh spy film in the James Bond series to be produced by Eon Productions, and the fourth to star Roger Moore as the fictional MI6 agent James Bond. The third and final film in the series to be directed by Lewis Gilbert, it co-stars Lois Chiles, Michael Lonsdale, Corinne Cléry, and Richard Kiel.

This film has so much action, action, action, action all the time. It has beautiful girls, climatic battle fights with laser guns in outer space, Bond jumps off the plane without parachute. Climatic fight between Bond, Holly Goodhead and Jaws on the Cable Car in Sugarloaf Mountain, Rio de Janeiro. I love this film to death I grew up with this film and it is my favorite. I'm a hard-core James Bond fan. I make no apologies for believing that even the late Roger Moore is the closest thing we've seen to IAN FLEMING's James Bond.

Since I was a kid I have really enjoyed this film, I have enjoy it in high school and I still do till it's day. I know a lot of people's is at least favorite Bond film because it is science fiction film it is set in space. James Bond 007 in outer space is a bad idea because in 1977 Star Wars come out and they were so popular that they decide to make this film, I don't mind it.

James Bond investigates the mid-air theft of a space shuttle, and discovers a plot to commit global genocide.

Roger Moore in my opinion is the most underrated James Bond 007 ever and I have more respect then i would have a respect to a morons like Daniel Craig I hate the new James Bond! Roger Moore R.I.P. I really miss you I am long time loving fan of you. Thank you for your visiting Slovenia in 2000 I have so much respect for you. My condolences to his family.

Star Trek was so popular even the movies and the show and I don't like em I hated the reboot they made and I still hate Star Trek movies but I love this movie so much it is in space like only 45 minutes and even that wasn't that bad.

This is the sequel to The Spy Who Loved Me Richard Kiel reprise his role as Jaws from the film The Spy Who Loved Me and it was the last film Lewis Gilbert directed. Jaws returns in "Moonraker" and adds some tension to the film… Richard Kiel has become something of a cult figure since his appearance in 'The Spy Who Loved Me'. He reappears as indestructible as ever. His performance was beautiful and wonderful even for the comedic effect than in The Spy Who Loved Me.

Why is my favorite and why I love it so much: I love the filming locations the film was set from California to Venice, Italy to Brazil Rio de Janeiro to Amazon River to Drax base in Iguazu Falls I love this film. This movie has so much beautiful girls you see so many blond girls in this film I feel like this movie set Supergirl. You have a great boat chase on the Amazon River it is fantastic Bond blows up the assassins with a mine. Bond fights with a python in the river Drax's base. Honesty I think Conan The Barbarian copied from this movie the scene about Python fight. Bond fights off Drax henchman Chang (Toshiro Suga). Bond throws knife in the assassin in Venice river and flees with his own boat.

Great direction from Lewis Gilbert I am so proud on the director that he filmed this film in Venice, Italy in the city in which my mom visited. Great music score from Shirley Bassey - Moonraker and John Barry did a wonderful score for the James Bond film.

Michael Lonsdale's performance is astonishingly controlled and precise as Hugo Drax... There's something really scary about his true personality and character... He gives sarcastic remarks about 007: 'You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season.' 'At least I shall have the pleasure of putting you out of my misery!' 'Mr. Bond, you persist in defying my efforts to provide an amusing death for you.'

Lois Chiles is a great and the finest Bond girl, the irresistible Holly Goodhead: A CIA agent and astronaut who joins Bond and flies with him to Drax's space station. She was really sexy and beautiful all tough I prefer Drax's astronaut girls way better cause they were so blond.

10/10 Moonraker to me is way better then Skyfall, Spectre, Quantum of Solace, The World is not Enough, Die Another Day, On Her Majesty's Secret Service and even more Bond films I dislike. This is the most underrated film I have ever seen.

10/10 Grade: Bad-Ass Seal Of Approval Studio: Eon Productions, MGM/UA Communications Company Starring: Roger Moore, Lois Chiles, Michael Lonsdale, Richard Kiel, Corinne Cléry, Toshiro Suga Director: Lewis Gilbert Screenplay: Christopher Wood Producer: Albert R. Broccoli Based on Moonraker by Ian Fleming Rated: PG Running Time: 2 Hrs. 06 Mins. Budget: $34.000.000 Box Office: $210,308,099
28 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Likable Roger Moore in an amazing adventure set on exterior space
ma-cortes29 November 2010
Roger Moore's entry in which faces dangerous adventures around the world . Moore's outing with overwhelming action and spectacular scenarios , the film teams Bond with an American agent (gorgeous Lois Chiles) in an effort to stop an industrialist from destroying the surface world so he can rule an outland kingdom . After his first introduction in ¨Live and let die¨ as tough and attractive James Bond of the Ian Fleming's famous creation , Roger Moore went on playing various 007 , and ¨Moonraker¨ is one of the best . The picture starts with an overblown free-fall opening , the best part of this film and introducing a giant villain (Richard Kiel who will repeat in subsequent entry). This Bond film deals about seductive James Bond OO7 as the ultimate spy hero who is assigned by MI6 a dangerous mission pursuing an intergalactic mad man (Michael Lonsdale in a potentially sinister presence as the head baddie) . Meanwhile , Bond goes to Venice there happens a high-octane race and Bond discovers clues in Rio De Janeiro. James is double-crossed and continues to follow the lead , deciding to investigate in Amazonas . Following the tracks all lead a nasty billionaire , a maniacal villain who schemes a world conspiracy.

Roger Moore as James Bond is cool , he does remarkably well , he earns in irony, suavity and sympathy, however also has coldness ,cunning , intelligence and toughness . Here Bond is an efficient , relentless agent trying to chase obstinately the criminals , traveling around the world as always , as this globe-trotting story is set in England ,America, Venice, Amazonas , Rio De Janeiro and exterior space . Bond to achieve his aims , along the way uses violent means even pulling off brutal killings against enemies who wreak all sorts of havoc . As always Bond will use gadgets provided by ¨Q¨ (Desmond Llewelyn) . In addition , there appears the usual as Lois Maxwell, ¨MoneyPenny¨ , Sir Gray as Geoffrey Keen , Walter Goetell as Russian general and Bernard Lee's last appearance as ¨M¨ .

The picture contains comic-strip adventure , sensational pursuits , silly set pieces, great stunts, tongue-in check humor, frantic action packed , amazing gimmicks and stimulating images like are the happenings on the spectacular races, the breathtaking aerial scenes, and the spacial fights . As is like a roller-coaster , as is fast-paced, light, excitement, funny and entertaining ; it's a winner for oo7 fans and non-fans alike . The chase and suspense formula wears strong in this entry .Enjoyable title song by Shirley Bassey and stirring musical score fitting to action by the usual composer, the classic John Barry . Riveting and fancy main titles by habitual Maurice Binder , furthermore eye-popping production design by Ken Adam . It's brimming with colorful and fascinating cinematography by cameraman Jean Tournier. The motion picture produced by habitual producers, Albert R Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson , being professionally directed by Lewis Gilbert who directed various outings though with no originality . Director Gilbert keeps this moving at an incredibly fast pace and this story about every's favorite super-spy falling in love with a CIA agent is one of author Ian Fleming's best . The film will appeal to James Bond series's buffs but good for fans only ; because this one goes on far too long . Rating : 6'5 , well worth watching .
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Experience the sheer magnificence of Q's final line!
Nazi_Fighter_David11 July 2005
When a Moonraker space shuttle, on loan from the United States to England, is hijacked, Bond is called in to investigate...

Bond surely possess the latest knowledge about nuclear power and is able to fly a rocket ship... Bond's girls too have moved with the times and now join battle alongside him, fighting off the enemy with equal proficiency...

It's nice to see Bond dressed as a Brazilian gaucho, galloping up to a 16th-century Benedictine monastery, and safecracking in a magnificent French château...

Roger Moore is seen humorous and light hearted, gliding through St. Mark's Square in his motorized gondola... He fights with a Chinese manservant in the Venice Glass Museum with great style, and stops himself from throwing a priceless bowl valued at £1 million... He takes out one speedboat with some mines, another with a torpedo and takes off on a hang-glider as his boat goes over the falls...

Bond was initially surprised that a top rocket scientist at Drax Industries was an attractive young woman… He set aside his aggressive attitudes when he realized that not only was Holly a fully trained astronaut on loan from NASA—she was also a CIA agent… She liked better working alone and he had to exhaust himself to win her over…

The eleventh Bond film seems to recycle a number of elements familiar from earlier adventures, most obviously Stromberg's hired killer, Jaws, played once again by Richard Kiel... Hugo Drax, the vengeful ex-Nazi of Fleming's novel, is reinvented as a psychotic who is obsessed with the conquest of space, and plans to wipe out the globe's population with a powerful type of nerve gas... His plan for mass murder completed, Drax will then repopulate the planet with his own master race… His fleet of shuttles—the Moonrakers—which are based in South America, will transport his master race into space… There they will live on a radar-invisible space station until Earth's depopulation has been completed…

Drax likes to play a little Chopin on his grand black piano, and enjoys a cucumber sandwich... His vanity leads him to control his ferocious hounds by the click of his fingers… He brings from France every block of stone used on his California residence... According to his charming pilot, "What he doesn't own, he doesn't want!" and, like Auric Goldfinger, affects a desire to play English country sports...

Jaws returns in "Moonraker" and adds some tension to the film… Richard Kiel has become something of a cult figure since his appearance in 'The Spy Who Loved Me'. He reappears as indestructible as ever... He impersonates Christopher Lee in Dracula mode, and has an entirely different trip down a mountain... His little scenes with a cute little blonde girl are very sweet... His despairing search for her on the disintegrating space station is wonderful... The bitter little smile he and Bond share as they prepare for their set-to atop the cable car is inspired...

Corinne Dufour (Corinne Clery) becomes one of Bond's early bedmates… Corinne is Hugo Drax's beautiful helicopter pilot and executive assistant… Unfortunately, in Drax's eyes, her amorous byplay with Bond also marks her for early elimination...

Sadly, 'Moonraker' would mark the end of Bernard Lee's 45-year film career... Already visibly frail, Lee would succumb to stomach cancer; he died in London's Royal Free Hospital on 16 January 1981... Although he made a notable contribution to such outstanding mystery dramas as Carol Reed's 'The Third Man,' and Basil Dearden's 'The Blue Lamp,' it is for his definitive 'M' that he will be remembered...
44 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The most visually striking 007 ever made
Maciste_Brother17 June 2007
Of all the Bond films, MOONRAKER is, imo, the most visually striking of the entire series. It looks like it cost a billion bucks to make. The sets by Ken Adams are amazing (he should have won an Oscar for them). The locations are stunning. The fx are well made and still hold up today. The women are above average gorgeous (they all look like supermodels before supermodels were in). All of this beautifully filmed by cinematographer Jean Tournier. I love watching MOONRAKER just because it's so damn gorgeous to look at. I don't know how many times I saw it at the movies when it came out just to appreciate the beauty of it all. Unfortunately, we are talking about a James Bond film and of course there has to be the usual formulaic stuff seen in every other James Bond film.

Basically, MOONRAKER is a remake of YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and THE SPY WHO LOVED ME. I always preferred MOONRAKER over the schintzy SPY WHO LOVED ME, which was made just before this one. Lewis Gilbert directed those three Bond films and MOONRAKER is his crowning achievement. Personally speaking, Gilbert is a bad director. His films are always bloated and sorta soulless and yet still gorgeous. Aside from his Bond films, he rarely made an impression with his other films. In fact, he's the one who directed THE ADVENTURERS, which is a good looking film but it's really, really awful. I'm glad Gilbert stopped making Bond films. He was always too laid back for action films like this.

There ARE a lot of memorable scenes in MOONRAKER: the entire intro is now a classic and much better than the one in SWLM. Corinne being chased by dogs. The simulator scene. Bond fighting with Chang in Venice. My favorite scene is when Bond and Goodhead are stuck below a shuttle's rockets and are about to be burned alive. A near perfect action moment there. The climax in space is fun if improbable. I love the scene when they have to destroy those globes as they re-enter the atmosphere. Really suspenseful. But as good as those scenes are individually they almost don't register as a whole because the story and direction are so lackadaisical, so relax. It's like everyone was on vacation. There's absolutely no grit to this film. It's really sleek and smooth but nearly bite-less. The whole story seems to be just a preamble to the action set in space.

What really stands out about MOONRAKER are the many long moments with no dialogue. I'd say about 50 to 60% of the film has no dialogue. Just music and sound effects. It's almost a silent film. Moore didn't have a lot of dialogue to remember and this was an easy film to dub.

The story is as easy as connect-the-dots: The British owned Moonraker 5 disappears in mid-air and 007 is sent to California to investigate its disappearance. At the Moonraker plant in California (France really) Bond find blueprints of vials which leads him to Venice, where the vials are fabricated. And from Venice Bond goes to Brazil where the vials, filled with deadly nerve gas, are shipped to the underground layout of Drax (boringly played by the usually reliable Michael Lonsdale. Love the name "Drax" though). Oh and we learn that Drax wants to create a new race of super humans by killing everyone on earth by dropping those nerve gas filled globes from space while Drax and his super humans reside in Drax's space station. I actually like that part of the story and some of the grandeur of it (Drax wanting to be God) is actually achieved with the striking visuals and the amazingly lush score by the brilliant John Barry. Unfortunately, again, this is a James Bond film and thought provoking ideas are set aside for formulaic action.

I wish this wasn't a James Bond film. Take away all the Bond elements, the stupid humor, flesh out the screenplay and this would be a spectacular kick ass science fiction film.

Anyway, back to James Bond.

I really like Lois Chiles as Holly Goodhead. She's my favorite Bond girl ever. Beautiful and sophisticated but tough. She's no bimbo. I remember a lot of my friends in school didn't like her because they thought she was too tough for a babe. I guess Holly Goodhead was Girl Power before Girl Power was in. For me, Chiles epitomizes everything chic and sexy about the late 1970s. She's unforgettable in that black jumpsuit. But the Holly Goodhead role is a really badly written one. She's almost an afterthought to the whole story. They basically needed a character to fly the space shuttle and Bond into space (something 007 obviously couldn't do) and Goodhead was basically that: just a pilot. Then there's Corinne Clery who is truly gorgeous but sadly, again, her role is minimal. Then there's the not so beautiful Jaws. Jaws was so popular in SPY WHO LOVED ME they brought him back here. I don't mind this but they turned him into a good guy and he even falls in love with a ditsy girl. This part of MOONRAKER is *really* bad. Someone should completely edit that storyline out of the movie and its rating would go up exponentially. And like in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, the musical in-jokes were needlessly distracting.

These bad aspects about MOONRAKER are almost negligible though because the film is such a visual (and aural) feast. Whether it's one of the best or worst of the series, I really don't care. I can positively state though that this is THE best looking Bond film ever, with an actually cool science fiction story somewhere in it. I give MOONRAKER 10 stars for the look of it all but 5 stars for the laid back and sometimes silly direction. So an average of 7 stars.
35 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I LOVE IT!!!
eamon-hennedy24 March 2004
Please, don't judge me too harshly, but I love Moonraker, the peak of all things Roger Moore. Never again would the Bond films be this over the top or overtly silly, but the truth is that Moonraker does it right. It will never win awards for being the most subtle Bond film ever made, but it should not be trashed in the way that it usually is because deep down Moonraker is just great fun. Roger Moore's Bond is just fun to be with, the on going joke that everytime Jaws tries to kill Bond he almost gets killed himself, complete with close ups of his exasperated face are brilliant (not subtle, but guaranteed to get you chuckling) and one of the loveliest Bond girls, CIA agent Holly Goodhead.

The script here is definitely not in the same league as the likes of From Russia With Love, The World is Not Enough, Licence to Kill or For Your Eyes Only, but Bond films never set out to be thought provoking pieces of art, they are meant to be grandiose fun pieces of entertainment and if you take Bond films on those levels then Moonraker succeeds admirably. Sure none of the acting is award worthy, and its frequently over the top in every regard. Over the top humor, over the top action sequences (a fight scene in a glass shop sees every bit of glass get destroyed) while the space sequences features a gigantic space battle complete with laser beams.

However there is a lot to like here. The pre title sequence is superb, featuring some of the best stunt work you will ever see in a pre-Brosnan Bond, the special effects are magnificent and lastly John Barry's music is quite simply the best he has ever come up with. For a film so over the top his music is beautiful and would set the hallmarks for his future scores. The sweeping orchestra and beautiful theme song by Shirley Bassey are classics.

Once again I end my review with a note not to judge me, but Moonraker is simply wonderful entertainment and one of my favorite Bond film of all time.
107 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Take care of Mr.Bond. See that some harm comes to him!"
ShadeGrenade4 July 2006
Roger Moore's first two 007 films - 'Live & Let Die' and 'The Man With The Golden Gun' - clambered aboard whatever cinematic bandwagons were rolling at the time, such as blaxploitation and martial arts. By the end of the '70's, sci-fi was back in vogue thanks to 'Star Wars', hence 'Moonraker' replaced 'For Your Eyes Only' as the next Bond movie.

Until 'Die Another Day' in 2002, it was universally regarded as the nadir of the series. I disagree. One has to remember that around this time Kevin McClory was threatening a 'Thunderball' remake starring Sean Connery, and thus Cubby Broccoli could not afford to takes risk with the formula.

The film bears little resemblance to Fleming's book, which concerned a nuclear rocket attack on London. As 'The Spy Who Loved Me' had proved popular with audiences, it was decided to give them more of the same, hence Christopher Wood's script had the villain hijacking space shuttles instead of submarines, and Richard Kiel's 'Jaws' returned to menace Bond. Lewis Gilbert once more supervised the mayhem.

Bearded French actor Michael Lonsdale made an excellent 'Hugo Drax'. Like 'Stromberg', he is wealthy, and plans to create a new civilisation by destroying the old one. Ken Adam once again delivers some marvellous sets, such as the Pyramid control centre and Drax's Space City.

The action scenes were even wilder that those of 'Spy', including a magnificent free-fall pre-credits scene, Bond's gondola turning into a hovercraft, Jaws and Bond getting to grips on a cable car over Rio, a speedboat chase in South America, and a shoot-em-up finale in outer space. John Barry produced another fabulous score, particularly 'Flight Into Space'.

As a strapping young lad growing up in '70's Britain, I always made a point of seeing the latest Bond, usually with my friends in tow. We did not care if the films were faithful to Fleming, if there was too much humour, or if Moore was wooden, we went to have a good time and did.

No offence to Connery, but for us Moore was The Man. Suave, sophisticated and debonair. On leaving the theatre we would attempt to recreate Bond's fights, usually resulting in one of us being cautioned by the police.

And the gadgets! 'Moonraker' outdid them all. I once tried to build Bond's wrist-dart gun. I don't think anybody walked out of a Timothy Dalton Bond feeling like they could conquer the world, but with Roger's we did. And we saw them more than once in theatres.

I do wish that some of the gags had wound up on the cutting room floor, namely 'Jaws' flapping his arms after his parachute breaks, Alfie Bass' cameo as a drunken Italian, and a pigeon doing a double-take as Bond's gondola roars by. Take these out and you have a pretty decent Bond movie.

Sadly, 'Moonraker' marked the final appearance of Bernard Lee as 'M'.
36 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not all that bad...
ThomasHayden3 March 2005
Considered almost unanimously as one of the worst films in James Bond series, it is time for Moonraker to have a defender. On my opinion, this is Moore's best fourth outing as 007(may be not saying too much, but there are three films left), and a very entertaining sci-fi film. Critics argue that humor plays a strong hand in this movie-strong to such a degree that Bond character loses all personality, becoming blurred in an impressive set of FX and stunt men. I reply: certainly there are flaws, some of them (particularly Jaws conversion towards the end) very ridiculous. But there are good points, too. Remember that pre-credit scene, which was ACTUALLY shot in the air, the motorboat chase or the final space battle, one of the most spectacular moments of the entire series, (yeah, it was unrealistic, OK, but tell me how much realism you can find watching other Bond movies which are frequently referred to as" the best". Think of Goldfinger or You only live twice)

However, Moonraker does not compare to Octopussy or TSWLM, because of a sometimes plodding pacing, due to the addition of unnecessary scenes, especially during the first half, when James is Drax's guest in California. The love story is a mere and inferior copy of TSWLM. And, while in other Moore's films the blend of humor and Bond's trademark coolness worked smoothly, here Bond is not given a scene to show, not necessarily ruthlessness, but a bit of harshness, as we could see in FYEO or Octopussy.

Following Moore's outings will feature Cold War elements which seem to fit more with the character, and better screenplays from Richard Maibaum,the series' screenwriter who was mysteriously absent here.

But action remains mostly exciting, sometimes brilliant, and highlights what could have been a mediocre entry.
49 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fly me to the moon, Mr. Bond.
vip_ebriega19 February 2007
My Take: The comedy is occasionally off, but the special effects and action sequences are terrific.

Why do some viewers think this entry in the series is by far the weakest of Bond. I beg to differ, I actually think this is one of the better Bonds with Roger Moore. Despite its occasional decline to over-silliness (even for Bond standards), I actually find it more entertaining than Roger Moore's early entry "The Man with the Golden Gun".

The plot, which is more like a variation of THE SPY WHO LOVED ME and YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE (only a little sillier), involves the theft of the Moonraker space shuttles. 007 is sent to Drax Industries, the manufacturers or these shuttles. He soon discovers that the owner, Hugo Drax (Michael Lonsdale) uses this rockets to fulfill his dastardly plans to create another civilization.

One of the main reasons that critics mistreat this Bond entry is because it doesn't go with the trend of the other Bonds. MOONRAKER tries to be more faithful to the then-popular trend of science fiction movies (after the enduring success of such classic as STAR WARS and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS). Another would be its occasion to go beyond the level of silliness and not knowing when to stop. A humorous moment where Bond drives a gondola with wheels is OK, but it's other scenes like Jaws (Richard Kiel) finding a girlfriend are just too silly. More extreme silliness ensues (there are moments of true high-camp standards here), but as long as the sharp wit, the panache and style made famous by many other Bond films are there, there's no real harm in trying something else to go along with it.

Rating: ***1/2 out of 5.
26 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A brilliant Bond film that is highly underrated!
john-5978 March 2000
"Moonraker" is the most unfairly criticised of all the Bond films. The 11th film in the series and the fourth starring Roger Moore, "Moonraker" works very well for a number of reasons. As Ian Fleming's original novel (written in 1955) had become too dated to translate to the screen, the producers decided to capitalise on the sci-fi craze started by Star Wars, and so created a spectacular space-age adventure where Bond himself journeys into outer space.

Whilst this film was certainly inspired by Star Wars, this is not meant to imply that "Moonraker" copies directly from the former. Don't forget that only the last 20-30 minutes of the film takes place in space. Although the laser battle looks dated by modern standards, it is still a classic slice of Bond action, that, as one reviewer has stated, compares with the underwater battle in "Thunderball". And on that level it works superbly.

What I especially like about "Moonraker" is the way it glides smoothly from one action sequence to another. This way, there's not only no shortage of thrills, but an overall level of consistency in the storyline is maintained, where Bond hops across the globe (to Venice and Rio, for example) uncovering clues as to the disappearance of the Moonraker space shuttle. On the way, he survives the customary assassination attempts by the bad guys (Drax and Jaws), and then at the end of the film all the clues piece together to complete the jigsaw. It's steady, consistent storylines like this that prove the key to a successful Bond film.

Purists often accuse "Moonraker" of being too stupid. Although there are some pretty outrageous sight gags, the film still retains its enormous appeal. Certainly, "Moonraker" is the most light-hearted Bond film, and it's quite clear that Roger Moore was enjoying himself tremendously here. His performance in this escapade certainly brought a smile to my lips.

There's also a wonderful cast. Drax is quite possibly the best Bond villain. His one-liners are great and he is certainly not short of ideas on how to dispose of Bond. The beautiful Lois Chiles proves to have the right qualities as an astronaut/CIA agent, and she is a worthy ally to 007. Bond's first romantic encounter Corinne Dufour (Corinne Clery) brings a lot to the film. Richard Kiel makes his encore performance as the steel-toothed giant Jaws. After his superhuman appearance in "The Spy Who Loved Me", Jaws plays more for laughs this time round, but his Roadrunner/Wile E. Coyote-type battles with 007 are still entertaining. There's also another henchman, Chang (Toshiro Suga) who provides more credibility if somewhat less invincibility in a superbly staged duel with Bond in a glass factory.

"Moonraker" also sees John Barry at his composing best. He provides a number of rich, atmospheric tracks that perfectly reflect the film's outer space theme. Shirley Bassey's third title song isn't quite as good as "Goldfinger" but better than "Diamonds Are Forever", and is certainly as good as Carly Simon's song for TSWLM.

"Moonraker" has often been placed at the bottom of the Bond spectrum. It doesn't belong there. It has everything a successful Bond film needs: a great plot, superb villains, exotic locations, beautiful women, brilliant special effects (for which visual effects maestro Derek meddings received an Oscar nomination) and action by the bucketful. There are scenes which generate genuine suspense and which feature awe-inspiring stunts in mid-air and on water. The space scenes are well done and all aspects of the space shuttle look true to life. In summary, "Moonraker" is a brilliant film in its own right and should rank up there with "Goldfinger" and "The Spy Who Loved Me" as one of the best Bonds ever made. I strongly urge you doubters to take a second look.
125 out of 197 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
At least I shall have the pleasure of putting you out of my misery.
Spikeopath5 June 2012
Moonraker is directed by Lewis Gilbert and adapted to screenplay by Christopher Wood from the novel written by Ian Fleming. It stars Roger Moore, Lois Chiles, Michael Lonsdale, Richard Kiel and Corinne Dufour. Music is scored by John Barry and cinematography by Jean Tournier.

Bond 11 and 007 is tasked with finding out what happened to the Moonraker space shuttle that mysteriously disappeared up in space. His investigation takes him to the billionaire builder of the craft, Hugo Drax, where Bond discovers a fiendish plot to start a new world of perfect human beings.

At the end of The Spy Who Loved Me we were told that James Bond would return in For Your Eyes Only, but the gargantuan success of Star Wars and a rekindling of all things sci-fi led Albert Broccoli to send 007 out into space! Armed with a $30 million budget and using only the core base plotting of Fleming's novel, the makers crafted what many feel is the runt of the James Bond litter. The money "is" up there on the screen, it's excess overdrive, outlandish from start to finish and actually is very very entertaining. The problem is that in James Bond terms it barely feels like a Bond movie, it actually could be any bloke propelling the story, this is a guy reliant on gadgets and not his brain or brawn, quipping away purely for the sake of a cheap laugh. Ultimately it's a cash in, both in terms of the sci-fi boom hitting the late 70s and of the James Bond name.

If judged away from the Bond universe on its own popcorn terms, film is a blast, literally. As a whole it's a bit choppy, but many of the parts desperately trying to make up a cohesive blockbuster are great entertainment. Mid air scrap for a parachute, a cable car sequence brilliantly realised, centrifuge chamber peril, boat chase, laser fight and much space age malarkey, the film is chocked full of crowd pleasing moments. In fact it's often mistaken as being a film set in space, when in fact the action doesn't move up there until the last half hour, the previous hour and a half is spread out over France, Italy, Brazil, USA, Gutemala and of course England. The score and the title song, however, are very much Bond. With Barry and Bassey back respectively, film is filled with appropriate atmospheric space strains and a hauntingly emotive theme song.

Charaterisations are a mixed bag. Lonsdale's Hugo Drax is one of the better Bond villains, dignified, well educated and wallowing in a life of luxury, he's perfectly understated in Lonsdale's hands and in fact steals every scene he shares with Moore's Bond. Holly Goodhead (Chiles) is a bold Bond girl with many skills, she's a scientist and an astronaut, attractive and decently played by Chiles, if a touch unmemorable in the Bond girl universe. Kiel is back as Jaws, with the makers choosing to make him some love sick puppy dog, where once was a unique villain, now is cypher for slapstick and a crappy flip-flop of plotting, while the "love interest" for Jaws, Dolly (Blanche Ravalec), is cringe worthy. Sadly this would be the last appearance of Bernard Lee as M, but he leaves a favourable mark, as does Desomond Llewelyn as Q, but once again Moneypenny (Lois Maxwell) is all too brief, the flirt and banter she used to share with Bond now seems long gone.

With a committed Bond fan base trudging through the turnstiles to see the latest instalment, the sci-fi fans intrigued by the themes of the story, and the general blockbuster loving crowd, Moonraker made a colossal $203 million at the worldwide box office. Making it the highest grossing Bond film so far, a record that would stick until Brosnan's debut in 1995. While critical notices were not as bad as some would have you believe, the critics clearly judging it on non Bond terms. Broccoli took notice of the fans, though, who were upset by the lack of respect to the serious side of Bond. He promised things would be different for Bond 12. 7/10
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Outer space now belongs to 007
Aura V20 October 2007
This is definitely on of the best Bond movie ever! 'Moonraker' is usually sniffed at by Bond buffs, who regard it as the nadir of the Moore films, but I love it. As a strapping lad growing up in the '70's, I always made a point of seeing the latest Bond, and having fish and chips with my mates afterwards. We didn't care if the films were faithful to Fleming, if there was too much humour, or if Roger Moore's acting was wooden, we went to have a jolly good time and did. We'd seen Connery's Bonds on telly but for us, Roger Moore was The Man. Suave, sophisticated and debonair. On leaving the theatre we'd attempt to recreate Bond's fights, usually resulting in one of us getting cautioned by the police. And the gadgets! 'Moonraker' outdid them all. I once tried to build Bond's wrist-dart gun. I don't think anybody walked out of a Timothy Dalton Bond feeling like they could conquer the world, but with Roger's we did. And we saw them more than once in cinemas. No matter how many actors play the role, he's the one I remember with most affection.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bond #11: Space trip
unbrokenmetal13 July 2008
"Moonraker" was the most expensive Bond ever, but after the success of "The Spy Who Loved Me", the producers were confident enough to take a step into the top budgets, also contemplating that after the blockbuster hit "Star Wars", a technical show up in space would sell. The movie was an immediate success, but apparently didn't become one of the most popular for the fans in long term, admittedly it has a few ups and downs. A very silly bit is the gondola, driving on land in Venice. The centrifuge, on the other hand, was a terrific idea. The opening sequence is a classic again: Bond falls out of a plane without a parachute, so he has to get one on the way down! The duel between Bond and Jaws (returned from "The Spy Who Loved Me") in the dizzying height of the cable railway is breathtaking. So is the beauty of Corinne Clery; not easy for Lois Chiles afterwards to get Bond's attention, but "take me around the world one more time" is a beautiful line. We get a Goldfinger type of villain again, a more sophisticated person though: Drax meets Bond early on, we know he's the bad guy, but we don't know what his plan is. The musical score of "Moonraker" includes quite a few ironic comments, but the western reference was a bit too obvious. The set design for Drax' base is remarkably different from the rocket base in "You Only Live Twice". While the latter was covering a huge round crater, Drax' controls in "Moonraker" are crammed in a rather narrow triangle room, but with a hundred screens nonetheless.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bond in space!
Tweekums16 March 2012
At the end of 'The Spy Who Loved Me' we were promised that Bond would return in 'For Your Eyes Only'… that was before 'Star Wars' burst onto the world's cinema screens and suddenly everybody wanted science fiction! As well as tapping into the post 'Star Wars' demand for Sci-fi 'Moonraker' made use of space shuttles which a the time were still being prepared for they first flight. The film opens with the midair theft of a shuttle that is being loaned to Britain by its builder Drax Industries. Naturally Bond is assigned the case and is sent to California to meet Hugo Drax; the man whose company builds the shuttles. When people start trying to kill him it is clear that something untoward is doing on there. A document he sees leads him to Venice where he bumps into Dr. Holly Goodhead, a woman he first met at Drax's facility and who claimed to work for NASA. His searches lead to a lab that is manufacturing a deadly nerve gas. His next stop is in Rio where he bumps into Dr. Goodhead for a third time and discovers that she wasn't being entirely honest with him. After surviving a run in with Jaws he heads deep into the jungle and finds that Drax has built a shuttle launch facility. Sneaking onto a shuttle Bond and Goodhead are taken to Drax's orbital space station where they learn of his diabolical plan to kill everybody on Earth so he can repopulate it with his 'perfect people. Bond and Goodhead must stop him before he can succeed and in doing so the receive help from an unexpected quarter.

This film is obviously best remembered for the rather far-fetched space battle at the end; this is a shame as there are plenty of great moments before they get there; Bond's brush with death in a giant centrifuge, his fight in a glass museum, a confrontation with Jaws on a cable car above Rio and a great boat chase where he hang-glides over a waterfall just to name a few. Roger Moore continues to do well as Bond and Richard Kiel makes a welcome return as the steel-toothed Jaws. Drax is played by Michael Lonsdale who does a fine job and has some great lines. Lois Chiles gets to be more than just a pretty face as Dr. Goodhead; fighting alongside Bond and even piloting a shuttle. I know a lot of people will find this film sub-par due to its bandwagon jumping Sci-fi elements but I rather enjoyed it; silly moments included!
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Huge step for mankind
Petri Pelkonen28 September 2000
This James Bond adventure from 1979 takes our beloved agent 007 to outer space after he chases the crooks all over the world. He goes there with Dr. Holly Goodhead (Lois Chines) and after them is the steel teeth Jaws (Richard Kiel) so that life in space doesn't get too boring.

Roger Moore does his job well without taking it too seriously.Humor has a big part in this movie.Moonraker is an excellent Bond adventure which is a little underrated.It has some brilliant action scenes for you to enjoy.

I really envy James Bond because he gets all the ladies and he gets to travel all over the world and in outer space.Sure his life is in danger all the time but that's what it takes to be a super agent.

If you want to see James Bond going sci-fi then this is a movie for you to watch.
31 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This highly underrated Bond film ... works extremely well for several reasons.
Pelrad24 January 1999
This highly underrated Bond film, the eleventh in the series and fourth with Roger Moore, has Bond investigating the disappearance of a U.S. Space Shuttle. This film works extremely well for several reasons: first, because Bond keeps his cool and escapes from so many deadly situations; second, because it is the most humorous of all Bond films, especially because of "Jaws" falling in love and its containing the best of Bond's one-liners; and third, because of the special effects the creators gave the film riding on the coat-tail of "Star Wars", released two years earlier. All eight Bond films released since this one (up to "Tomorrow Never Dies" did not gross nearly as much earnings at the box office (when figures are adjusted for inflation).
40 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the Best.
GenXer6 October 2007
It's interesting that some of the most beloved Bond films are also some of the worst (Thunderball, Diamonds Are Forever, For Your Eyes Only), and some of the most reviled are among the best (On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Moonraker, The Living Daylights).

This movie set a new high in entertainment value when it was released in 1979. It was the necessary upgrade of the franchise in the new era ushered in by Star Wars a couple of years earlier. It preserved the best of the genre (espionage intrigue, plot twists, Bond mystique, beautiful women, gadgets, humor, haunting cinematography, and mesmerizing music), but brought them out of the gloomy and cynical Cold War atmosphere and into a more futuristic and optimistic format. It kept the Bond franchise fun at a time when the standards for fun had taken a quantum leap.

Roger Moore does a nice job in his last credible portrayal of 007. Alas, his age became increasingly distracting starting with the next outing.

A lot of fun. Deserves much more credit than it is usually given.
35 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
007 Goes Sci-fi
Zoooma28 January 2014
I'm not sure what to make of this one. It's one of my least seen pre-90's Bond movies; I've maybe seen it just once before, probably twice and not in a long time. Good that John Barry is back for music. The last film had Marvin Hamlisch and he disco-infused the Bond Theme all the way through, then during the end credits it sounded like a Broadway musical number. Ugh! Back to sanity here. Unfortunately the plot took forever to get to while James womanized and hopscotched across the globe. This being the 4th Roger Moore film as Bond, and it being 8 years since Sean Connery, it's getting easier to accept Mr. Moore in the 007 role. He's really coming into his own by now. Overall, I liked it. It's entertaining enough, particularly the boat chase, Moore's second as Bond. Hard to beat the scenery, too -- Venice and Rio. Outstanding!

--A Kat Pirate Screener
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Girls, Shuttles, and Jaws
SnoopyStyle23 December 2013
Roger Moore returns for another James Bond movie. This time someone steals a space shuttle mid-transport. He investigates Hugo Drax (Michael Lonsdale), the manufacturer of the shuttle, who turns out to be the man with the evil scheme. Bond follows clues across the globe while dodging Drax's assassins including Jaws (Richard Kiel). Along the way, CIA agent Dr. Holly Goodhead (Lois Chiles) joins forces with Bond.

There are a lot of hot girls in this one. Maybe that's why Lois Chiles don't stand out as a Bond girl. In this one, I remember much more of Jaws' girl Dolly. And quite frankly, Jaws remains the greatest Bond villain henchman ever.

The story is convoluted, and outlandish. They've literally gone out into space. The action is stretching out into exotic sightseeing. This is the formula now especially for Roger Moore. It works for a Bond movie. It's an escapist adventure.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Along time ago in bond movie far,far away....
Movie Junkie16 December 2014
***Warning! Spoiler Information Inside***

Star Wars was released in 1977 , and the world was captivated. The predictions of Peter Cushing that Sci-Fi would one day revolutionize film came true before his very eyes. James Bond had absolutely nothing to do with that."Cubby" Broccoli was however, smart enough to realize the new trend was the future of film. The Spy Who Loved Me(1977) claimed James Bond would return in For Your Eyes Only(1981).007 instead detoured to outer space to one of the most successful movies of the franchise ever lensed Moonraker (1979).

In mid flight, an American Space Shuttle on loan to her Majesty's government is stolen.007 is sent to California to investigate the theft. Where he meets space enthusiast Hugo Drax (Michael Lonsdale). As Bond follows the crumbs he begins to suspect cover-up.

This was an over the top gamble aimed directly at the "Star Wars" crowd , and it hit pay dirt. The direction by Lewis Gilbert, Script by Christopher Wood , Roger Moore in his third consecutive year in character , the supporting cast including Richard Kiel (Jaws) as an encore , and Lois Chiles as the CIA double agent Dr. Goodhead (tounge and cheek name I am certain),all are epic in this well....epic.

This Movie is Iconic , Lonsdale's Drax is directly responsible for Mini-me , Mike Meyers evil Minion (Austin powers), and this 6 year range of film responsible for that franchise itself.

One of the top 3 bond films in it's franchise history.

Four stars(of 5.)
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic Bond, unfairly criticised for space theme
mattrochman6 November 2011
Much like Tomorrow Never Dies, this is a great Bond that somehow copped a lot of criticism.

The plot unfolds evenly and with a good dose of intrigue. The main villain, Drax, admittedly is intent on carrying out another "end of the world" plot, but he is more dark, disturbing and cunning than most villains. Superbly acted and the Noah's Ark style plan had a degree of disturbing intelligence, compared with the usual nuclear missile / bomb / satellite plans in other Bonds.

Roger Moore was fantastic. Well settled into the role, he is cheeky, womanising, humorous, yet tough and sharp. The one liners were fun, the girls were both sexy and not one-dimension, though Lois Chiles was a bit wooden.

Once in space, too many were quick to think "oh god, it's Bond meets Star Wars" , when it was nothing of the sort. Although the effects look dated, the space battle was good for its time and the enthralling climax extended right to the final minutes of the movie, and fantastically signed off with a bit of great double entendre.

One you can watch over again and doesn't date as badly as other Bonds from the same time. Sure it had its corny moments, especially with Jaws, but who said Bond can't be a bit of cheesy fun at times!
First bond movie
patrickmaura25 March 2003
This is the first bond movie I saw with my father and its what brought me to love the series. It may be a little far fetched even for bond but it was fun. I still want his boat with the handglider. Drax was a great villian as was Jaws. I would argue that Ms Goodheads character was stronger than Halle Berries last character as well. All in all if you like bond and scifi you will love this otherwise you will just like it.
Not Great, But Still A Likable Bond Movie
ccthemovieman-110 January 2006
Without Sean Connery in the starring role, I wasn't expecting that much, so this was a pleasant surprise because I found it to be one of the better Bond movies. I'm not saying it was one of the better-made, just one I enjoyed more than most.

Except for Roger Moore as Bond, the actors in here are mostly no-names. However, it was entertaining, had some good action scenes, lots of pretty woman, almost no profanity and some nice European and American scenery. The opening six minutes of action was great as were the opening credits.

Gee, I sound like I'm describing almost all the Bond movies. Well, I just felt this one is a notch above most of them in the categories listed above. The only negative to me was the ending, unfortunately. It was just too hokey and didn't live up to the excellence of the first 100 minutes.
30 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another trend-setting film!
mistymountain26 November 2006
About 2 years after the release of "Moonraker", NASA launched its first space shuttle, Columbia. This is the 2nd Bond film to involve rocket hijacking, since "You Only Live Twice". In this film, Bond tries to stop a madman from eliminating the human race on earth and breeding new life in outer space. Roger Moore does a superb job playing 007 with great wit and humor. Lois Chiles plays Dr. Holly Goodhead very well, and Michael Lonsdale is very convincing as the madman Hugo Drax. I found an editing goof the first time watching this. When Corinne (Corinne Clery) is seen running through the forest trying to escape Drax's hunting dogs, at first you see she's wearing beige shoes. Then in another angle, she's running with black high top boots for a second, then it's back to the beige shoes in the last angle.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The most entertaining movie of them all!
qwertz1232 December 2002
This is the most entertaining movie I have ever seen. And I have watched a lot of movies.

`Moonraker' is perfect in every way. It is much more than just an action movie such as the other Bonds.

This really is a piece of art. Surreal. Ingenious. Stunning.

Simply perfect.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
...while Ian Fleming spins in his grave...
mdouglasfresno3 February 2007
To even include this monstrosity of a movie in a catalog of Jame Bond films borders on travesty. This was NOT Bond! This was simply a sorry attempt to cash-in on the space craze started by Star Wars, and complete the process of turning Bond into a comic-book character. Fleming's Bond (or even Eon's early Bond incarnation, as played by Sean Connery) is by now totally unrecognizable. He's not a secret agent (and government-sanctioned assassin) but a jet-setting playboy crime-fighter who stumbles from one action set-piece to another. Roger Moore's Bond is a total lightweight, and comes across about as credible as Inspector Gadget. Maybe that's fitting, because "Moonraker" is far more a filmed cartoon than a spy thriller.

True, "Moonraker" didn't begin the slide from Fleming's vision into comic-strip, but did it accelerate it! You could even say that "Moonraker" ran the series right into the ground, so naturally there was no where else to go but "up" for the next entry, "For Your Eyes Only". "Moonraker" is absolute rock-bottom for the entire series, what with a totally outlandish plot, overblown futuristic sets straight out of "Star Trek", one-dimensional characters who are as thin as cardboard, and (most embarrassing of all) ill-advised attempts at broad humor.

The plot is senseless and ridiculous. True, Fleming's novel was horribly dated by 1979, but ANYTHING would have been better than what Christopher Wood finally dreamed up. Drax plotting to destroy all life on earth and breed a new generation of perfect people under his rule in a space station??? Does this make ANY sense??? All the action sequences are only tired re-workings of previous movies (far too many to list, but suffice to say that I saw elements of virtually every previous Bond flick made to date). And if this rehash wasn't enough, they even went so far as to bring back the "crowd-pleaser" of the previous film, Jaws. Jaws made a mildly interesting villain for one movie, but trying to sustain menace into a 2nd appearance just doesn't work -- you get the feeling that both Bond AND Jaws are completely indestructible, so where's the tension in their fights? I suspect the producers and screenwriter must have recognized this too, for mid-way thru they turn Jaws into a virtual cartoon character, and ultimately a "hero" who helps Bond. (Can anyone remotely picture Odd-job having a change-of-heart in Fort Knox and helping Bond diffuse the bomb???)

But what makes "Moonraker" truly unbearable is the comic relief. While Fleming purists might not like the witty remarks and tongue-in-cheek humor of the early Bond films, it could be argued that such an approach did make Bond more salable to the movie-going public. I suspect that if Eon Productions had retained the utterly humorless Bond of the novels, then "Dr. No" would have been a "one-off" production only, instead of the longest-running series in motion picture history. Unfortunately, each movie (especially from "Diamonds are Forever" on) became more and more campy and comic. By the time "Moonraker" was made Bond was being played strictly for laughs. James Brosnan, author of "James Bond in the Cinema", has called "Moonraker" the most expensive slapstick movie since "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World"...and unfortunately he's right.

The gondola sequence in Venice comes off as ridiculous; the craft itself is stupid-looking, and the scene is far too reminiscent of the boat-chases in "Live and Let Die" and "Man w/ the Golden Gun". But the scene really sinks into the pathetic when the gondola becomes a hovercraft and moves into the piazza. At this point we see tourists staring in disbelief and suspiciously eyeing their drinks, people falling into the water a la the Three Stooges, and even pigeons doing double-takes! (Man, but Ian Fleming must have been doing some serious turns in his grave at this point). Then we're treated to a scene in which Bond gains entrance to a lab by typing on a touch-tone pad, and it's naturally the alien's tune of "Close Encounters" (groan). Bond also rides a horse, dressed as a gaucho, to the theme from "The Magnificent Seven" (gag).

But Jaws contributes the most embarrassing scene in the entire movie (and the entire Bond series) when he meets that little blonde German gal and it's love-at-first-sight. They come together to the strains of "Tara's Theme" from "Gone with the Wind" and walk off hand-in-hand. OH MY GOD...truly excruciating!!! (By now poor old Ian Fleming must of been spinning like a top). When I first saw this scene in 1979, I was practically grasping for a barf-bag. But I noticed there were plenty of yahoos in the audience who were belly-laughing big-time. Geez, but talk about the producers playing to the lowest common denominator. (And I thought the redneck sheriff of "Live and Let Die" and "Man w/ the Golden Gun" was as cheesy as it comes!). Jaw-in-Love would be bad enough to sink even a good movie (which "Moonraker" certainly is NOT) all by itself. But it's inclusion here insures "Moonraker" as the WORST Bond film EVER.
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this