IMDb > Mad Max (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mad Max

Mad Max More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Mad Max, the one that launched a franchise and a hundred knock-offs.

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
31 May 2004

Mad Max (1979) is a low budget Aussie film that became a huge success in the U.S. because of it's sequel Mad Max 2 a.k.a. The Road Warrior. Not only did this movie spawned a franchise but it created a new genre of film (the post apocalyptic wasteland/road film) many rip-offs and pro wrestlers inspired by the movie and it's sequels.

Mel Gibson (in his greatest role in my opinion) stars as "Mad" Max, a cop who has seen too much while trying to enforce the law in a dying society. After clashing with the Night Rider, he incurs the wrath of his bikie buddies Toecutter and co. Toecutter has to be one of the most scuzziest and at the same time coolest bad guys. I like the way he tries to justify him and his crew's actions. Ditto for his right-hand man Bubba. Beautiful cinematography, fast paced action and awesome stunts make this movie a winner.

I have seen both versions of the movie (the U.S. dubbed version and the original Aussie soundtrack). For full enjoyment stick to the original version because they sound like real people, not like cartoon characters or cheesy b-movie villains. A true winner.

Highly recommended.

After nearly 30 years still an amazing trip at high speed

Author: Dan_the_DutchMan from Netherlands
11 January 2008

After not seeing it for about seven years, I just saw it on DVD for the first time. I remembered it as an exciting near-chaos-future adventure with highway cops in muscle cars and one insane biker gang. It's great how it keeps on standing the test of time. High speed and raw power are of every age, past and future. The way the highway action is shot in this movie simply stays exhilarating, putting it in the top ranking of best high-speed-chase movies ever. Seeing the camera follow the highway marker at high speed, along with the sound of a bike- or V8-engine delivers a Mad and chaotic but really cool result. The pace of the movie remains considerably high, without many slow moments.

Some aspects of the movie have (understandably) dated. Obviously the 70's clothing and hair styles. Sometimes the acting is a little over the top, and some characters could come directly from a comic book. And of course the story is not that deep or difficult. It's partly action-thriller, partly science fiction adventure. All weaknesses are covered and compensated by lots of a-moral fun though.

At the heart of this one of a kind look movie, there is a hero character named Max. This speed-demon-cop is at the top of his game on the highway, ruthlessly dealing with maniacs ravaging his jurisdiction. But he is also a happy family man with his wife and son. This duality makes the character human, timeless and very memorable. In some scenes you can clearly see Mel Gibson was only just getting into acting. For a rookie he was doing a good job nonetheless.

Others strengths lie within the scary nature of the biker gang. An extravagant rag-tag band of maniacs, led by the iconic villain The ToeCutter. To this day, their actions remain tough and very disturbing. It will have you staring at the screen dead serious, making Max' battle against them even more gratifying.

There is much to say about this movie, but first and foremost it is a must see. A cult classic still as enjoyable as it was nearly 30 years ago.

Basic plot, but it's so much fun to watch

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
7 January 2008

I remember my parents being such fans of Mad Max when I was a kid, but the movie looked so boring in my eyes. I never really wanted to get into it, I mean, I was a kid after all. But a few years ago in my film appreciation class, we were watching clips from Mad Max 2 when studying Australian films and I was intrigued with it. I finally remembered a few weeks ago how I wanted to see the three movies, so I just watched Mad Max and I have to say that I understand it's cult following. Mad Max promises and delivers, it's a low budget action film, but has a terrific story and excellent stunts. Mel Gibson, before he was Mel Gibson in Hollywood, you could see why he made it so big, his presence on screen is truly hypnotic and he makes a great hero. This story is so scary in the fact that I don't think that we are far from this future.

Max Rockatansky lives in a time where his country has been taken over by violent, vicious motorcycle gang members who just go around torturing and killing people. Max and a few friends are the last members of the "semi" police force that is trying to get things back under control and bring some peace to their town. But when the gang messes with Max's friend by nearly burning him alive, Max is ticked and goes after them. But when the gang messes with Max's wife and child and kills them, oh, they've gone too far and now it's personal.

Mad Max's plot is basic and can be considered typical, but it's a fun action movie that truly delivers. The action sequences were really exciting, especially Max's revenge sequence, he was so amazing and I don't remember the last time I rooted so hard for the good guy to win. Mel Gibson was really cool and I had a good time watching Mad Max. I'm looking forward to the sequels. I would recommend this movie for a watch, it's a fun cult classic that I'm sure any action fan would enjoy.

A quarter of a century on now (from the original filming) and still an icon of Aussie movie making!

Author: uds3 from Longmont, Colorado
10 January 2003

It was the very rawness and budgetary constraints of this little flick that made it what it was. A new kind of action hero in a new kind of world! Gibson's laughably underpaid (though unavoidably so) contribution cannot be underestimated. He imbued Max with more than the script actually merited. An attitude perhaps that struck a chord with many office-desk (wannabe) vigilantes. After all, Max takes control of his own life - is not cowed by authority. Max is everyman, the one inside us that few get the chance to let loose. He is part Jesus, part Che, part James Dean, all Australian yobbo! But this guy gets the job done - drop Max into Iraq next month and see how far Saddam Hussein gets trying to stock up on sarin!

Raw energy is what MAD MAX was all about! Distilled, tempered and inflamed by the time THE ROAD WARRIOR came around but at this juncture. a man on a mission and with the best tricked-up car since....well, THE CAR ! For those of you incidentally, totally mortified that his glorious black-hearted Interceptor was rendered dead-meat in MAD MAX 2, be comforted by the fact that it DOES in fact reside still in a museum in London (Why there and not Sydney I know not...perhaps for the same reason Australia still is not host to the cricket-ashes urn!) What chance of either's return when Greece can't even get the Elgin Marbles back?

Much has been made (and remembered) of the high-power car chases in this film, held by many in absolute reverence. In fact after the main cops vs The Nightrider work-out in the first few minutes of the flick, its pretty much all downhill in the action stakes - nothing subsequently in MAD MAX (1) comes near this brief sequence. This situation (with a way bigger budget) was inarguably reversed by the time THE ROAD WARRIOR came along. The stunts in THAT film have never been surpassed and remember this was without CGI fx.

MAD MAX has that indefinable 'something" the sequels didn't...perhaps just a raw innovation couldn't be duplicated - rather like ur first kiss. It might not have been the best, but it sure IS fondly remembered.

The Potential of the Australian Film Industry

Author: Ben White from Australia
8 April 2005

Dr. George Miller's low budget Mad Max franchise impacted on Australian culture and altered the perception of Australia and Australians overseas in a way that no other Australian film had done. The films explores themes such as 'man and the environment', 'fear provoking post-apocalyptic future, family', 'masculinity in crisis', 'good versus evil (Max as an iconic hero), Australian ethos and car culture; themes often featured within Australian films yet presented in a stark and dramatic way. The cinematographic impact is powerful; the human and emotional appeal is timeless.

Australia's barren deserts presented the ideal setting for a post-apocalyptic environment. The film set is more identifiable as Australia as it was filmed around the city of Melbourne. Long deserted roads feature significantly in the film and the cinematographic device of taking long distant shots of Max demonstrates how small he is in the scale of the environment that he is living. It is a relentless, unforgiving environment which demands defeat or survival and marks the characters which play upon its stage.

Just as the physical setting is stark and desolate, the time setting and its associated events create an atmosphere of fear and foreboding which plays on the minds and emotions of contemporary viewers. In this fear provoking post apocalyptic future the few survivors of the nuclear holocaust are in warfare with one another, the rebel bikers and the police.

Good versus evil is a dominant discourse in many film genres and one which embraces the Australian ethos. Max possesses some highly valued "Australian" traits; in particular, those of the underdog, the battler, the hero. External forces beyond his control stop him from "winning" completely. Contrary to the Hollywood hero, the Australian hero is a pawn in the game of others, which explains why Max can never quite "win" in absolute terms. There is little public glorification of success in Australia; heroes are remembered for their style rather than for their achievements. (Venkatasawmy, 1996) Mad Max represented a tradition hero, a hero to whom many diverse cultures are able to relate, as a story of a lone hero is a story that goes back through centuries of storytelling, and as a consequence the film achieved colossal success within Australian and around the world. The Australian cultures and lifestyles shown throughout these films give Australians an understanding of their country in the landscape, the language, and the way we treat people, life and life in exceptional circumstances.

Reference Venkatasawmy, R. (1996), Australian Film in the Reading Room: The Hybridity of Film-making in Australian National Cinema: Formulating a Cinematic Post-Diaspora. Retrieved March 14, 2005, from http://wwwmcc.murdoch.edu.au/ReadingRoom/rama/CHAPT4.htm

"Mad Max" stays to this day a striking, desolate, and memorable piece of cinema…

Author: Righty-Sock (robertfrangie@hotmail.com) from Mexico
3 August 2008

In spite of the fact that the 1981 film The Road Warrior—the second influential cinematic work of writer/director George Miller's Dystopian vision of the near future trilogy—leads to receive the anti-hero Max, released two years earlier, is where it all started… For it was here that Miller first brought to the screen his hellish vision, where civil society is under siege by crime and disorder, with the strength and charisma of a new young, tough, good looking actor by the name of Mel Gibson…

Gibson was just 23 years old when he took the role of Max Rockatansky—a young hotshot cop so emotionally wounded—and was such an unknown star that when the film was hitting the screens in the States, the preview trailers didn't even mentioned him but instead focused on the movie's coolest and most original car action ever filmed… In retrospect, of course, Gibson's portrayal of a relentless vigilante is an essential element of the picture…

In the Australian outback, Rockatansky is a motorcycle cop trying to keep order in a quickly disintegrating society… Vicious lawless bikers and road-raging psychopaths race up and down the forbidden territories, raping and pillaging the peaceful towns, and one such bunch ends up at the door of Max's wife (Joanne Samuel), and their 2-year old son… When they are both lying dead in middle of the road, Max is all driven over the edge, and so starts a high-speed pursuit involving wild rides, chilling fights, and memorable fast-motion suspenseful scenes rarely equaled in cinema…

Mad Max is a true classic!

Author: Pingo-2 from Sweden
1 May 2000

Max is the ultimate avenger!

Set in a near future, Max, a high-way patrol officer, tries to stop a violent motorcycle gang.

This is a simple plot, but it is so well done and well filmed that this movie is a real classic action film.

I like Mad Max (1979) better than Mad Max 2 (1981). Most people seem to think that the second one is even better, but I can't agree on this because of several things:

First of all, this first Max movie has got a very important question, and that is that the violence of today are going to be worse tomorrow. The film dares to view violence even more than most movies do today, and I think this is a good thing, that helps to make this film trustworthy.

The acting is better in Mad Max than in the sequels, and the feeling of a near, almost broken down society with a small police force is more interesting than the post-nuclear situation that the second and third film tries to show us.

The car crashes and the pursuit in the openings of Mad Max are truly incredible. Never before had such nice work been put on celluloid.

Overall Mad Max is a true classic! Before this movie, science-fiction/action films weren't as good.

If You haven't seen it, try to get hold of the non-dubbed version.

Well Aged!

Author: TP-6 from Melbourne, Australia
28 June 1999

Not many low budget flicks age very well but Mad Max certainly has.

I watched it again recently, as I only had vague memories of watching it years ago, but I found it to hold up well. Only by reading the other user comments did I discover that it had been dubbed! What a load of crap. Why would a movie in English be dubbed in English! If you cant understand Aussie accents, you dont deserve the pleasure of seeing this movie. I cant imagine this movie having the same effect without the Australian accents.

What George Miller did with this fairly simple script is remakable. The camera angles and speeds with which this film moves along at times were thrilling, Not to mention the great stunts and even the barbaric humour (the ripped off arm!).

The car which Mel Gibson eventually gets revenge in (an Aussie Ford coupe) looked as menacing as a car could! built for the movie for A$35 Grand, a replica was used for the final crash 'n burn scenes of Mad Max 2. The original car was salvaged and is still around somewhere, appearing at car shows in the late 80's.

A sadistically fun movie

Author: coverme6 from Allentown, PA
30 June 2000

Mel Gibson is Mad Max in, well, "Mad Max!" This is the film that made Mel an international superstar. In his starring debut, Mel plays Max, a leather-clad cop in the near future who fights to control security on the road from vicious bikers and road thugs. When the thugs lead by the psychotic Toecutter kill Max's wife and baby, our hero is livid with vengeance. Armed with his armor-plated muscle car and a sawed-off shotgun, Max wreaks turbo-powered revenge on the murderous punks.

Though a bit dated compared with the action films we have today, "Mad Max" still stands out as a very impressive movie. For one thing, this film had a tiny budget. Well, as proven in "El Mariachi," a movie doesn't need a $1 million budget if you have a creative story and imagination. "Mad Max" stands out as a classic low-budget flick that made it big without the intense u

When the gangs take over the highway... Remember he is on your side.

Author: Old Joe from Hamilton, Australia
13 July 2003

Australian movies have slowly gained in both quality and in popularity. Yet I had always heard good and big things about a very old Australian movie known as 'Mad Max'. With a fascinating story, strange and wacky characters, a vast arrangement of high octane cars and motorbikes and starring a huge Hollywood star, who was not so big when this film was made, 'Mad Max' is a revelation of a movie. It also proves that a small budget will not hamper what sort of movie you will see.

Max Rockatansky is a policeman in the near future who is tired of his job and wants out, so he can spend time with his wife and baby son. Since the apocalypse, the lengthy, desolate stretches of highway in the Australian outback have become bloodstained battlegrounds. Max has seen too many innocents and fellow officers murdered by the bomb's savage offspring, bestial marauding bikers for whom killing, rape, and looting is a way of life. Then Max's world is shattered as a gang led by the evil Toecutter murders his family in retaliation for the death of one of its members. Dead inside, Max climbs into a souped-up V-8 racing machine to seek a big and bloody revenge.

What is most impressive about this movie is the action and car stunts that are present in the movie for almost the entire 90 minutes. I mean seeing bikies fall, cars blow up, go through caravans, and the high octane V-8 that Max uses are all terrific. The main stunt co-ordinator of 'MM' was Grant Page, who did a fine job in brining through those ideas of the dangers on the road, in addition to the fine stunts, that were effective to the movie's final make-up.

However the writer/director of Mad Max, George Miller deserves just as much praise for bringing MM to our screens. Being his first feature film, he practised as a doctor to fund the film's finances, which just shows how tight a budget this movie was on. I enjoy the pace and feel of the movie that Miller presents to us in 'Mad Max', which I can only describe, as 'unsettling', but in a good and effective way. Miller went on to direct the next two Mad Max Movies.

The main star of MM is one of the more recognised Hollywood stars Mel Gibson. He was young in this movie, but it did not take away from his gritty performance. I am sure at the time that he played this character that two things were not going through his mind, that this would become a huge film franchise, and that Gibson himself would be a huge Hollywood actor. Gibson brings humanity to the film, which is set in a depressive future. I guess the only part of his character that I wanted to see more of, was Max being angry, which did happen, but took longer than I thought.

There are other good cast members in this nasty of movies. Jim Goose (Steve Bisley) is a crazy kind of cop, who pushes and does not like to be pushed. Some of the things that he does and has happen to him are quite remarkable. Bisley has had a successful career in Australia movies and TV, with such titles as the funny film 'The Big Steal', and being a part of Aussie TV shows like the medical drama 'G.P.', the media spoof 'frontline' and the top cop drama 'Water Rats'. Max's wife Jesse (Joanne Samuel) loves Max a lot and the movie clearly shows this through her performance. But again, what happens to her character is also hard to take.

This then leads me too the mean characters of the film. The bikie gang is led by the horrible Toecutter (Hugh Keays-Byrne), whose performance in the movie is pretty good. I love his evil body language, especially his smirk that sent a chill through me many times in the film. All his bikie gang are not much better, with the Nightrider (Vincent Gil) an important member of the story. I like the actors that were in this gang, as they were all bad and nasty.

There are other aspects to the film that I liked. The use of the Australian setting was invaluable, as we get to see many different places along the Australian coast. But what brought out the scenery of the film were the unique camera angles that are seen throughout the entire movie. This has to be due to the good work of cinematographer David Eggby, who did many low camera angle shots, that I was really impressed by. Another important element that created great tension for the film was its musical score. It was in for the greater part of the movie and was extremely effective. The composer of MM was Brian May.

After I had seen Mad Max, I wanted to show this film to my father, as I believed it contained enough elements to keep him entertained, being a car enthusiast. By the time we had watched the movie together, I was amazed by how knowledgeable my father was on many of the movie's various aspects. I was just glad that he liked the movie, because I know that did. A friend and I also believe that this movie influenced the famous American TV show, Knight Rider. I only think this for two reasons. One, because there is a scene very similar in a Knight Rider episode, as there was in this movie, and two, because of the car that Max speeds around in at the end of the film, as it looks similar to the Trans Am used in the Knight Rider TV show. I am looking forward to seeing the two Mad Max sequels that been made, as they are widely popular movies. Also look out for the forth instalment of Mad Max, coming up next year.

CMRS gives 'Mad Max': 4.5 (Very Good - Brilliant Film)

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]