IMDb > Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kramer vs. Kramer

Kramer vs. Kramer More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 19: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Hoffman at best.

Author: tomas38 from United States
1 October 2009

I could watch this movie a million times and never get bored because everything is so real. The acting is flawless; so flawless that it doesn't even appear that they are acting. Dustin Hoffman is simply a joy in this movie. He's superb, and the love that grows between him (Ted) and his son (Billy) is so moving and sincere. It's just as powerful, if not more, than any romantic storyline out there in the movies. This is love. A love between a boy and his father. It's deep love. The type of man which Ted grows to be is a beautiful human being, and this is all due to love. He becomes a perfect role model for what a parent should be. Hoffman is excellent. The boy actor is perfect. Another reason why I like this film is because it shows that a person is capable of change, afterall. If you're moved by great actors and real story lines, then watch this film!

Solid Drama

Author: kenjha
25 September 2009

This Oscar-winner is perhaps the best film about divorce and custody battle. The film does a good job of conveying the pain of divorce, although it tends to pull a bit too much at the heartstrings at times. Hoffman is terrific as a man who is so immersed in his job that he unwittingly neglects his family and pays the price. Streep does a good job in the difficult role of an unsympathetic character, a part she parlayed into stardom. The always reliable Alexander turns in another fine performance as a supportive friend. Williams has a memorable encounter with Henry, with both making their film debuts here. It is solidly directed by Benton.

A surprising class winner

Author: sharkey197 from United States
23 August 2009

I decided to show this film to my critical viewing class in the unit that deals with social changes and gender roles. I was a little apprehensive because it's a small film, with almost all dialogue and this goes against the grain of what these kids are used to. But since I'd always wanted to show a Meryl Streep film as well, it seemed like a good risk.

To my complete amazement, the class LOVED it! It was only later during discussion that I realized they could relate to it because of the divorce and how it effects kids. So many of them had similar situations, including the kid who shared that his mother hadn't wanted him either, and that's why he lived with his dad (gulp!). Nobody complained that there were no special effects or violence--they were totally into the story.

One unexpected side effect--they loathed Meryl Streep. Of course, it was the character they were reacting to, but it was very surprising that they were so emotionally invested they really had trouble separating the actress from her performance. I found out that most of them didn't really know her work--except for the Devil Wears Prada--and felt vaguely guilty that I'd turned off a generation to this magnificent actress. So I slipped in an extra film for fun and showed The River Wild. I wanted them to see her in a more heroic vein. Most of them liked the film very much and were able to comment on the broad contrast.

Sometimes teens really surprise you. I really thought they might hate it. Instead, it's a definite film for next year.

Moving film about the effects of divorce

Author: Maddyclassicfilms from United Kingdom
20 December 2008

Kramer vs. Kramer is directed by Robert Benton, has a screenplay by Robert Benton and Avery Corman, is based on the novel by Avery Corman and stars Dustin Hoffman, Meryl Streep, Justin Henry and Jane Alexander.

Joanna(Meryl Streep)leaves her home one night and abandons her family. Joanna's husband Ted(Dustin Hoffman)is left to be both father and mother to their young son Billy(Justin Henry).

Ted and Billy become even closer than they were before and Ted also discovers it's good to not be so caught up in work all the time but to play with your kids and have fun.Joanna then comes back saying she wants a divorce and custody of Billy. Ted challenges this which leads to one of the most tear jerking courtroom scenes ever seen on film.

Kramer vs Kramer takes a hard hitting look at the effects of family break ups.

relationships within the movie are volatile but strong

Author: sdenise-1 from Barbados
13 June 2006

This is a phenomenal movie. Truly one of the best movies I have ever watched. I am a serious critic and it takes much to stir me, but this movie had all the right combinations for "stirring". The passion of the actors,without the overacting, the aching for all the characters involved, the serious and subtle truths about marriage and divorce, all make this a must see movie, despite the fact that it is 1970s. This is definitely not an "old movie", but a classic/vintage movie. I hope you engage with it as I did when you consider how volatile relationships of all kinds can be, when you also consider how deep pain associated with love can be and how the hardest decisions to make will always be the most painful, but once they are made the pain will subside, but only gradually. This movie certainly demonstrates that the most volatile relationships are not necessarily weak relationships and that leaving certainly is not synonymous with lost/lack of love. The 'crafting' of this movie certainly emanates from a place deep within someone's heart and mind.

"I came here to take my son home. And I realized he already is home. " - Joana Kramer (Meryl Streep)

Author: Michael Margetis (pmargetis@cox.net) from United States
4 September 2005

The Academy Award winning 'Kramer vs. Kramer' follows a snazzy businessman Ted Kramer (Dustin Hoffman) and his divorce with his bored wife (Meryl Streep). One day Ted's wife leaves him and their child in search for a better life, forcing Ted to become closer to his son (Justin Henry). The two bond and become very close (but only after some friction), and just as everything is going perfect Ted's wife comes back to town and wants sole custody of their son. Ted then goes on a mission not to let his son get taken away from him, and fights his wife in court. Dustin Hoffman gives a tremendous performance along with Meryl Streep, and young Justin Henry is impressive. It's a sad emotional roller-coaster of a movie, but it's a very well-made and inspiring film. The film took the Oscar for Best Picture at the 1979 Academy Awards, along with Best Actor for Hoffman and Best Supporting Actress for Streep. If you don't mind a tearjerker, 'Kramer vs. Kramer' is a great film to watch. Grade: B+

Solid, Provocative and Compelling

Author: jmcsween90 (jmcsween90@hotmail.com) from Cork, Ireland
8 March 2003

Robert Benton's film of single parenting, divorce, and custody battles has so much potential to become a mawkish TV Movie of the Week drama, but manages to resist the urge at every turn. Instead he has made a film that is as intelligent as it is moving and is worthy of a place on the big screen. Dustin Hoffman plays Ted Kramer a successful advertising executive who is abandoned by his wife (Streep) and is forced to look after his young son by himself. This may sound like a tedious enough scenario, but we are saved from the traumas of soap operatic drivel by Benton's sharp direction and superlative acting from the entire cast. As with so many of his performances in the seventies, Hoffman is entirely convincing and totally without flaw. He successfully portrays the character of a man who is committed to his working duties yet that has to consistently struggle in order to give his son the kind of domestic life necessary. Meryl Streep performs a similarly laudable turn as his neglected wife who walks out of the home in order to rebuild her shattered confidence.

The film devotes the first hour to the depiction of Hoffman's efforts to build a better home for his son in the light of his wife's absence, and Benton's shrewd direction in this regard results in a film that is both entertaining and emotionally challenging. Hoffman bravely comes to terms with the challenges of single parenting and learns that there is more to life than making a lot of money. Justin Henry in the role of seven-year-old Billy Kramer delivers a towering performance as a child who is caught between two battling parents, and disproves the theory that child actors are both annoying and precocious. As the film progresses towards its conclusion the two warring partners take their case to court in order to decide on the custody of their child, and rather than presenting the courtroom showdown as a showpiece of crying, screaming and accusations, Benton instead delivers an intelligent commentary on the nature of responsible parenting.

For a film that tackles the plethora of domestic issues which it does, Kramer Vs Kramer manages at all times to be a compelling movie which never trivialises the topics it is dealing with, nor does it ever allow itself to take a convenient moral stance regarding the conflicting parents. Instead it presents a credible, moving story of a father and son trying to build and maintain a successful relationship, while at the same time presenting the story of a mother vying for the love of her son yet trying to create a life of her own in the process. An intelligent script couple with top rate performances and sharp direction make this movie the finest in its class and remains one of the quintessential characterisations of America's divorce ridden culture. Sadly, the same could not be said for the countless spin-offs it inspired.

An Actors Movie

Author: Brett Walter (StreepFan126@cs.com) from Santa Clarita, CA
2 July 2002

This is definatly an actors movie. It is a good story, and it is very touching, but what makes this so unique is the performances. I mean, I wouldn't say the plot is any differant than many Lifetime Television Movies. But when you combine the talents of Dustin Hoffman, Meryl Streep, and Jane Alexander, then you have a masterpiece. Interesting bit of trivia: Meryl wrote her own dialogue for the court scenes.

this movie will really touch you

Author: alex paredes vera from Lima
25 January 2002

I have not ever thought anything about divorce until now. This movie really has a message for all and people will enjoy seeing it. I recommend this movie . The performance is amazing for all actors.It was filmed in New York and many awards are the best proof to know what kind of movie is.

Excellent and unforgettable movie

Author: stebbif-2 from Iceland
28 March 2000

This movie is one of the best pictures I have ever seen. Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep are just superb in this film and they both won an oscar for their acting. In this story we see the positive and negative side of how it affects kids when their parents divorce. Justin Henry is very good in the role of Billy Kramer, the son of the divorced couple. The final scene with Streep and Hoffman is simply unforgettable and superb. This film won the best actor and actress in a supporting role and of course as picture and also won for best director. This is one of those film which improves with the years. It´s simply unforgettable and excellent example of the best of the best in the movie history of the 20th century. See it and you know what I truly mean. It will in the future be considered as one of the milestones of the pictures from the seventies