IMDb > The Jerk (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 6 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Classic comedy

Author: Jimpie from Dearborn, MI, USA
6 February 2002

Still one of my all time favorites. Steve Martin proves to be one of the true comic geniuses. For years after first seeing this movie, I couldn't walk past a display of oil cans without laughing... If you haven't seen this film, do yourself a favor and rent it. You won't be sorry.

Hold your gut, laugh out loud funny!

Author: Lanie from USA
25 December 2001

For those who have never seen any of Steve's films, may I kindly suggest starting with this one as it's the best one ever made (so far). It just proves the true definition of the words "comic genius". Steve Martin is brilliant in his portrayal of Navin.

The Funniest Movie Ever Made

Author: magpie13 from Oakland, CA
25 August 2001

The number of laughs in this movie has been scientifically found to outweigh the number of laughs in 'Airplane', 'Blazing Saddles' and 'Young Frankenstein'(by a very slim margin, and not combined).

However, the visual sight-gags (wine-glass dispensing cooler, 'Pizza-in-a-cup', stolen-church, and 'Bigger house' sequences, etc.) do outnumber most of the others.

It amazes me how many Steve Martin fans never saw this movie. Although many folks who who think 'LA Story' and 'Parenthood' are the cutting-edge of comedy may find this film unfunny.

This is the modern Marx Brothers movie. That is, if there was only one Marx and they did jokes about psychotic serial-killers and leather-clad motorcycle dominatrixes.

One of the great comedy classics

Author: emerson bigguns
2 January 2001

Great film. Steve Martin is fantastic. This movie was made back when he was funny and before he got all serious and started making drama movies. Plot is good. Lots of memorable lines. A real classic. The first movie I bought on DVD.

It's the best

Author: Katie (katie_why_me@hotmail.com) from USA
13 June 2000

This is my favorite movie ever. However, I don't own a copy, so I rent it about 5 times a month. I laugh every time I see it. It is so funny how Navin thinks he is going to turn black as he gets older. The movie is hysterical, because he is just so stupid. This is Steve Martin's best movie ever.

Steve Martin - genius

Author: Klaus-9 from Kansas City, Missouri
30 December 1998

Steve Martin is a genius. This film is light years ahead on the comedies that people pay $7.00 to see at the theater, yet, it was made almost twenty years ago. This film is ageless and timeless. Sort of like The Wizard of Oz or It's a Wonderful Life. It is only this way because this film is vintage Steve Martin.

Hilarious screwball comedy

Author: Terrell Howell (KnightsofNi11) from United States
4 April 2011

You've gotta love the 70's. That is a decade that produced some of the greatest comedies, dramas, war films, art films, etc etc. If it's a classic and it was released in the second half of the 20th century, chances are it was the 70's. The Jerk is just another of those classic screwball comedies that we all know and love. It's no Airplane! but it is a lot of fun and has plenty of that same goofy, quirky, and all around bizarre humor. Steve Martin plays Navin Andrews, a man who was raised by a black family in Missouri. On his birthday one year, Navin finally learns that this family of kindly black southerners aren't his real family and so Navin decides to set out and make something of his life by traveling to St. Louis. The film opens with Navin sitting under a staircase next to a movie theater, drinking whiskey with two of his hobo buddies. He introduces himself to the audience saying that he isn't a bum, just a jerk. He then proceeds to tell us of his life and the story goes from there, taking off into all sorts of weird and wacky places with strange characters and events, where hilarity always ensues.

Steve Martin is what makes this movie without a doubt. He is absolutely hysterical and delivers the best lines of the film. The character of Navin is an absolute idiot who can't comprehend the real world to save his life. Thus we see him getting into all sorts of hilarious situations that any normal person would have just found a simplistic way out of. But Navin delivers all the laughs as Steve Martin bumbles around as one of the most entertaining characters I've ever seen in one of these screwball comedies. Great comedy comes from great improv, something this film allegedly has a lot of. And I'll believe it because there are some moments where I could never have seen that put on paper. Moments that could only be conceived by the spontaneous mind of a comedic genius like Steve Martin. I'm talking about those moments when Martin will do something so absurd and so unexpected that you can even see the actors he is with begin to break down. Everyone has fun with this movie, and it makes it all the more enjoyable.

As fun as this movie is, you still have to remember that it is just a screwball comedy. It isn't trying to accomplish anything major, and it just wants to elicit a good laugh. And it definitely did that for me. There are plenty of dumb things about this movie and moments that aren't as funny as others. I can't help but compare this movie to Airplane and its farcical nature. Airplane definitely does a better job than The Jerk and it has a more consistently hilarious spoof tone to it. The Jerk is funny from start to finish and definitely never tries to take itself seriously, but it is really a film you have to put yourself in a much lighter and less intellectual state of mind to watch and enjoy. There's nothing inherently wrong with this brand of comedy, but it is pretty simple. Yet, when done right, you get great results, and I can't deny that The Jerk does it right.

Films like these I can only enjoy to a certain extent, and that is solely based off of personal opinion. The Jerk is a hilarious film and is actually really well made for what it's worth. There is never a dull moment and Steve Martin is hysterical. This film is nothing more than a screwball comedy, and you will know it about fifteen minutes in. As far as comedies go, this one is great, and there is a lot of fun to be had with it.

I found my special purpose !!!

Author: inultus from Lansing, Michigan
10 May 2002

I'm not quite sure who the morons were that contributed to this movie having such a low rating, but it deserves 9/10. One of Martin's best movies...if you liked him as Ruprecht the Monkey Boy, you'll love him as Navin Johnson. Complete with cameo appearances by 3 Reiners, this Reiner-directed classic is the basis of many modern comedies (though most fail to live up to what this movie did 23 years ago).

My ex-girlfriend's roommate stole the VHS from me (what a JERK!), but my friend got me the DVD for Christmas, so I'm ok now.

See it...and then see a doctor and get rid of it...oh, yeah, I forgot to mention, the movie has more one-liners than all Arnold movies combined ;-)

A great one: "I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and upon the slitted sheet I sit."

If it were any funnier, you'd be dead!

Author: Harry Perales (harry_hanzo138@hotmail.com) from Spring, TX
8 November 1999

One of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Steve Martin is brilliant and the whole film is hillarious. It all starts out with Martin, who was raised to a black family. He then decided he must leave and goes out on an adventure. That is all I am saying! For the rest, you have to see the movie!

Haven't seen a movie this funny since...well, since I first saw this movie

Author: JZvezda
1 March 2003

Classic, truly classic.

How anyone could fail to see the humor in "The Jerk" is beyond me. I say: Pinch the Opti-Grab, put your Bausch & Lomb spectacles back on your face, and watch it again.

It's pure genius! Cross-eyed hysteria!

Page 6 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]