IMDb > The In-Laws (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The In-Laws

The In-Laws More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

The GREATEST film comedy since The Bank Dick!!!!!!!

Author: Bryce Rumbles from Baltimore, Maryland
10 April 2003

If you ever have the opportunity to see this film, do it. It is simply one of the funniest movies ever, rivaling the best work of W.C. Fields, the Brothers Marx, Laurel and Hardy, and all the others.

Only two things keep this from being a perfect "ten," and these problems are so common to movies made circa 1975-1985: the very dated music, and the "topical" use of profanity, which was (along with the color photography) one of the only things that would give this away as a film of the 70's rather than the 30's or 40's.

Highly recommended.

One of the All Time Funniest Movies

Author: cg21 from USA
7 December 2002

I still laugh as hard today as when I first saw it in the Theatres 25 years ago. Peter Falk and Alan Arkin are one of the funniest comedy duos of all time in this movie. Every scene seems to be more hysterical and outrageous than before.

WELL WORTH WATCHING

Hilariously entertaining

Author: LonnyJ from Dallas, Texas
7 October 2002

Peter Falk and Alan Arkin are the greatest movie comedy team since The Odd Couple. Brilliant comedic timing by Arkin as Dr. Kornpett. Falk brings his dry but hysterical humor to this film. If you love great family comedy, this is the film for you.

As funny as it gets

Author: keys72 from Houston, Tx.
9 July 2002

Legitimately hilarious movie that will please even the toughest critics. This is really the movie that Meet the Parents wanted to be, with a similar plot--CIA agent parent of married-child-to-be. It is much, much funnier than Meet the Parents and far more exciting. I laugh as much watching this movie as I do watching Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke--maybe more. It is that clever and that hilarious. Peter Falk is as funny as it gets as the unflappable CIA agent. Alan Arkin is equally amazing as the straight-living dentist who must deal with the absurd and dangerous adventures that Falk gets him into. The less said the better. For God's sake, see the movie.

if you can't laugh at this, put a mirror in front of your nose...you might be dead!!!

Author: rockpanrecords from lakewood, co.
16 April 2002

alan arkin, peter falk, and richard lambertini are hysterical in this vehicle...

lambertini as general garcia is an absolute scream!!!!!

arkin, and falk....two pros who know thier way around comedy...

well done!!!!!!!

Some get it...some don't

Author: mvock1 from Joppa, Maryland
21 February 2002

What makes this movie unique is that virtually every line spoken by Peter Falk and Alan Arkin is hilarious. You'll note that several of the reviewers before me mentioned seeing the movie 30 or 40 times. It is necessary to see the movie a number of times just to hear lines you've missed while laughing. Falk and Arkin were born to play these roles (OK, maybe that Columbo guy too.)

I guess what separates those who enjoy this movie and those who hate it (there is no middle ground) is the extent to which the viewers "get it". If you don't know what I'm talking about, you don't get it. So don't rent this movie. Save it for someone who does!

Very clever, one of the greatest comedies of its era...

Author: CJ Wynes
16 September 2001

This is one of those lesser known comedy classics that I never would have seen if it hadn't been for my parents dragging it out of their old HBO-taped video library. It's become sort of a cult classic in my family. Every so often, we'll be walking out of our car and someone will shout "Serpentine, serpentine!" Just one of the classic moments in this film that you'll chuckle about every time you look back on this film.

The plot has great turns, which is something most recent comedies seem to neglect. Only "Something About Mary" has accomplished the mingling of plot twists with great comedic bits that was standard in a good 70's comedy. And this is one of the best.

If you enjoy this one, you should also look for "Hopscotch" with Walter Mathau.

Inspired Wackiness

Author: mrfeek from Saint Paul, Minnesota
21 August 2001

The In-Laws is one of the great underappreciated comedies. The scene where Peter Falk launches into the diatribe about the Tse-tse flies ("Jose Grecos de Muertos"--flamenco dancers of death)--it really must be seen by anyone with an interest in comedy. One of my ten favorite films of all time.

A buddy movie you can be friends with.

Author: Steve (BDPI) from Europe
6 June 1999

Most buddy movies feature a wild character and the sedate counterpart. And they uniformly wind up together at the end, in a predictable follow-the-numbers fashion. In this movie Peter Falk seems to be a do-it-himself CIA operative who elicits the help of his soon to be in-law Alan Arkin. Both are completely believable in their respective roles, and as they work their way through New York thugs and Central American dictators, Arkin warms up to the ludicrous lifestyle of Falk.

To me, neither has had a more appropriate role or has been more effective. Funny all the way through and even with a touch of suspense, as you can't be sure of Falk's identity, or if Arkin will stick to his safer instincts.

Best Casting ever!

Author: (rich7t7@aol.com) from United States
10 June 2008

I cant imagine a BETTER CASTING MATCH in the last 30 years...mm maybe "Butch Cassidy and the Sunshine kid." Arkin and Faulk what a casting. Whats makes this film a priceless Gem is that they didn't try to milk this with sequel. WE ALL KNOW that in todays Film $$$ machine with casting this good they would have milked these two guys to death with 3 more films that would pale in comparison and take away from the magic of the original. As we saw...Hollywood tried to make money off the name and do some half fast remake. Even though I thought that Albert Brooks was a good choice mainly because he is uptight in ALL his films..I didn't understand the casting of Michael Douglas. The chemistry just didn't work.

The key of the original film was that the audience assumed that Faulk was just some bumbling wacko but as the film progressed the audience started to think that Faulk was smarter then all of us.

Now that i think about it...this casting dynamic is emulated all the time and i can not think of a film that gets it as right as this one!! ....Rich Tancredi

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]