IMDb > The In-Laws (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The In-Laws

The In-Laws More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

The funniest movie of all time

Author: gwsmith36 from United States
31 July 2005

I would give this film 100 out of 10 if I could. This has got to be THE funniest movie ever made. It has become a cult classic with a large cadre of people having seen it 20-30 times. I've seen it probably 25 times and I still laugh hard every time. The characters are so brilliantly written and magnificently played that they make the wacky story believable. Just when you think the movie will slow down, it takes off on another wild, crazy, hilarious tangent, completely in keeping with the characters. Alan Arkin, Peter Falk, and Richard Libertini are fantastic. This film has lines you will take with you: The 'Guacamole act of 1917', Jose Greco del Muertos, Flies? Flies with beaks?, Serpentine, My car has flames, and much much more.

Near Perfection

Author: skallisjr from Tampa, FL United States
15 May 2005

This is undeniably an extremely entertaining film. It has timing worthy of the earlier comedy classics, a building complexity of plot, and a brilliant interaction between Arkin and Falk.

From the improbable opening of the film through the first contact the two principals, the film gives few hints to a first-time viewer where it's going.

Possible spoilers follow.

To me, one highpoint in the film is the dinner, where Vince relates his experiences in the jungle. His explanation, "There's a lot of red tape in the bush," is the capper to an unusual tale.

Subsequent viewings of the film show just how well crafted it is. Little items that seem random take on meaning when a viewer knows what's coming next.

As soon as I saw it was available on VHS, I picked up a copy. The same when I found it on DVD. Doubtless the best comedy of its decade.

The Real Thing

Author: jberlin11797
22 April 2003

When I was 10 years old, my family and I went to see "The In-Laws" in Florida, and we all had so much fun laughing and howling. Peter Falk and Alan Arkin are such a perfect pair in this classic comedy and they are just so inimitable. Falk is the crazed CIA agent, Arkin is the meek dentist, together, when their children plan to marry, Arkin gets involved in Falk's espionage adventures south of the border. Character actor Richard Libertini, a familiar face to many comedies with his bald pate, thick beard, and zany accents, adds to the fun as the Latin dictator who makes hand gestures with eyemakeup and lipstick drawn to his hand to the two guys in one hilarious scene. The best line of the movie is "Serpentine!" Recently, I found on the internet that Michael Douglas and Albert Brooks are going to mimic these greats in an upcoming remake with the same title as the original. Many people posted messages that they were outraged that the regularly dramatic Douglas and the dryly funny Brooks are not only reprising their roles, but also poorly copying them. Audiences at previews were equally angry and predict that the remake will fall flat on its face and there just will never, ever be another Falk and Arkin. Every actor has his/her own persona, and it is highly forced and unnatural when one actor tries to duplicate another actor's persona.

The absolute funniest movie I have ever seen !!!

Author: suzangrace from atlanta, georgia
10 March 2003

This movie has become a cult favorite between my brother, his friend Jim, my cousin Rich and I. We LOVED it. I never laughed so hard. I really do think it is the funniest movie I've ever seen. My brother and Jim were playing Sr. League baseball at the time, and everytime they would come in from the outfield or get a hit we'd all shout serpintine! sperpintine! Their coaches thought they were nuts, because they did it right there on the field. I work in a video store, and every time I recommend this video to someone they come back and tell me how much they loved it. What a classic!

see this movie NOW

Author: karamiran from Florida
23 December 2002

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. The comedic pairing of Peter Falk and Alan Arkin was inspired, and it's a shame they've not done more such gems.

The plot pairs mysterious, over-the-top Vince (Falk) with sober, practical Shelly (Arkin) and sits back to watch Shelly react to increasingly improbable events... all because, as Vince says, "This man's wonderful daughter is marrying my son on Saturday."

And PLEASE, for Pete's sake, see this movie before its differently-titled remake comes out next spring. Nothing against Michael Douglas or Albert Brooks, both are fine actors, but I cannot imagine anyone but Falk and Arkin doing justice to the zaniness that is The In-Laws.

Tsetse fly scene at dinner table is a classic

Author: old-dude from Austin, Texas
2 December 2002

As a whole, I was not as impressed with this movie as most people here at IMDB however the dinner table scene is worth the time and money all by itself. I never laughed so hard in my life. Peter Falk should get his place in cinema history for the infamous "tsetse fly" speech. His look of self-righteousness and one-upmanship vocal tone was unforgettable.

On my Top Ten funniest list

Author: bbbaldie from United States
28 July 2002

This brilliant and hilarious film just makes me ask one question: why didn't Arkin and Falk become the next Newman and Redford? Why was their chemistry, so obvious in this movie, never exploited? 1985's Big Trouble teamed them with writer Bergman once again, but, as most agree, it was the wrong vehicle.

Arkin's constant look of stupefied amazement at what Falk was getting him into made this movie. That same look was present when Senor Pepe was kissing him, remember? And Falk, apparently oblivious but in reality well on top of things, had his defining movie moment.

The movie was a hit, and should have spawned many more Falk-Arkin projects. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. We're the losers because of it.

Top 10 comedy/action film

Author: LesHalles from Los Angeles
11 July 2002

The other reviews are all highly accurate. This is one of the funniest films ever made, as well as being a great action film.

I rate this much higher than the general of 7, however, because the film is a perfect work of art. Every line, every scene fowards the action and the comedy. This not a collection of skits and throw-away gags, like most Marx Brother's films- the humor derives from the situation, and the plot evolves completely from the premise. This qualifies it as a great work of art.

It is also a triumphant celebration of the joy of life that lifts the spirit, while acknowledging with open eyes the tragedy and suffering of life. Like the Marx Brother's films, this raises it above mere funny entertainment to the level of classic comedy.

This is a jewel of a film, and stands up well to repeated viewing.

If you like it, Simon is a more intellectual, farcicial comedy starring Alan Arkin that hilariously and pitilessly lampoons human egotism and the military/industrial establishment. This may be Arkin's funniest, most incredible performance.

Big Trouble is a a reteaming of some of the same talent that made this film. It is much more surrealistic and avant-garde, being directed by that greatest of American directors John Cassavetes.

GUACAMOLE ACT OF 1917

Author: smersh1999 from Tijara
6 September 2001

THE GREATEST COMEDY EVER--PERIOD. And who can forget Billy and Bing--aren't they sweethearts? You know, word has it that if Chiang Kai-Shek had made it back to the mainland Billy and Bing would have been co-anchors on the six o'clock evening news--THAT'S HOW BELOVED THEY WERE BACK THERE!!!

Funny, funny funny

Author: jazzben (jazzben@earthlink.net) from Albuquerque, NM
20 August 2001

This film has become my family's cult film. We watch it at least once a year. I know all of Peter Falk's lines by heart. "Serpentine Shell, serpentine". Can a comedy still be made that isn't about body parts, gross out sex or other kinds of potty humor? I hope so.

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]