IMDb > The Fearless Hyena (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Xiao quan guai zhao

The Fearless Hyena More at IMDbPro »Xiao quan guai zhao (original title)

best fight scenes

Author: J_Charles from over there
27 July 2005

Some of Jackie's best fight scenes ever are in this one. Nobody mentioned the one near the end where he's attacked by 3 guys with spears / machetes (you'll see what I mean). The attacks come one at a time, and then all in sequence. The cuts show that there are very few breaks in the action, lots of continuous fighting. Amazing nobody got seriously injured or even killed during the filming.

Another scene of note that everyone talks about is the chopstick scene. But how about the fight against the guy with the two swords? Yet another death defying feat of timing, reflexes and luck.

If you don't enjoy HK humour then don't watch it. But the fight scenes are among the best ever. For those complaining about the dubbing, relax - even the Cantonese version suffers from very poor dubbing. I think it was just the studios at the time trying to save money.

Spectacular!

Author: oscarman007 from Ripon California
23 November 2000

I'm a huge fan of Jackie Chan, and I've seen over 25 of his movies, and The Fearless Hyena is definently one of the best. Though the humour is pretty dumb, and lots of the characters are un-necessary(Like Stoney Egg, the Great Bear, and Iron Head)the fights are staged beautifully. Especially the ending fight scene!The story isn't so bad either.Even though it's your usual: guy's family memeber gets killed, guy trains, guy gets revenge type of movie, it's still good.Please don't get Fearless Hyena 1 and 2 mixed up. I've heard Two is really bad. So, I definitely suggest that you buy The Fearless Hyena part 1!

You gotta love Jackie Chan... A+ flick

Author: anonymous from moorhead, mn
22 January 1999

Not only are the martial arts techniques executed with skill. The humor is also top notch. Iron Head, The Great Bear and Stoney Egg are classic! If you like martial arts flicks at all or are a fan of the 3 Stooges. This is a must see for you. I'm already on my 3rd copy:-)

untainted Chan...

Author: Hi McDonnough from Los Angeles, CA
11 April 2003

This is one of Chan's best, because as opposed to his recent bloated-budget adventures, he isn't being written buy rich fat white guys who think, "hey let's make that Asian dude sing a funny song with (fill-in-the-blank) American sidekick!" I'm sorry, but as silly and awkward as Fearless Hyena is, it isn't tainted by the Hollywood "fish out of water" premise.

The fighting scenes, while exhausting at moments, are clever and fitting the themes of the film. This is one of Chan's more expressive styles, and his mere body language alone makes up for the horrible overdubbing and juvinile dialouge. Besides, the song at the end when the credits roll is AMAZING. I get chills when I hear it, it's so eerie and atmospheric. I always look forward to it after that final epic fight.

Now you're a rotten egg!

Author: Shawn McKenna (srmckenna@hotmail.com) from Modesto, California
29 June 2005

Jackie Chan had just established his Hong Kong popularity with Seasonal Pictures Snake in Eagles Shadow and the sublime Drunken Master. With the success of those films Lo Wei, who lent him out to Seasonal, let Jackie have complete control over his next picture. Fearless Hyena would be Jackie's directorial debut – though he would be working with a much smaller budget than his Seasonal experience. He would also stunt coordinate and write this film too. This movie would out gross the stellar receipts of Drunken Master and help earn Jackie 6000 HK dollars (his pay was 3000 per film; though he made over 50000 on Drunken Master). This measly pay helped exacerbate the rift between him and Lo Wei which led to his departure and the infamous sequel. Jackie reprises his goofy student role that he played in Drunken Master. This time he is Shing Lung, a talented but capricious student and grandson of Chen Ping Fe (the ubiquitous James Tien). Lung would rather gamble or goof off then study his forms. Little does he know that his Grandfather is marked for death by Yen Ting Hua (the underrated Yam Sai-kwoon aka Yen Shi Kwan) who is trying to destroy the Sien Yi clan founded by Hiu Fei (I just love keeping track of these names, I do not know why). Though Shing is forbidden to teach (or show) the Kung Fu his grandfather teaches him he (of course) does it anyways.

Shing tries to make his grandfather proud by getting a job selling coffins. The coffin dealer played by Dean Shek is an unscrupulous merchant who even sells secondhand coffins. This cameo plays to the strengths of Dean and is quite an interesting and hilarious scene. Hapless Shing blows this opportunity by trapping Dean in one of his favorite coffins. He runs away and while walking the public he is confronted by three ruffians (Great Bear, Stony Egg and Ironhead) he beat up earlier. They want him to teach them Kung Fu.

Shing meets their Master Ti Cha who is in charge of the Everything Clan who has no actual skills except for scheming. Ti offers Lung a position and lots of money to help there school learn effective fighting techniques. Ti uses him in the old ploy as a lowly laborer to fight heads of other schools (so if the lowly laborer is that good, just imagine how good Master Ti is.) This leads to several excellent fight scenes that are incredibly fun to watch. I especially like when Shing fights the Lu Ying and the Willow Sword (using the Pink Panther theme as background music) as a cross-eyed beggar. He then fights a large albeit slow man as a woman (yes, Jackie in Drag and no he is not cute).

Shing then makes a huge mistake by naming the facility under the Sien Yi name. Now the rest of the film is very predictable with the ultimate showdown between Shing Lung and Yen Ting Hua. The way it is handled though is quite sagacious. The training scenes are Jackie at his masochistic best. With him pulling huge sacks, doing amazing upside-down sit-ups with his new trainer the Unicorn having a sadistic gleam in his eyes. Shing is even taught Emotional Kung Fu (which Jackie made up for this film) using Joy, Anger, Sorrow and Happiness to focus on one's enemy "emotional" weak spot.

One of my favorite scenes is the Dueling Chopsticks scene in which the Unicorn prevents Shing from eating by using his chopsticks (of course.) Unfortunately it has influenced me to be quite annoying and apply this whenever applicable.

I would not rate this film as highly as Drunken Master. There are problems with the plot that takes too much from Drunken Master. However, I feel that this is an unheralded martial arts piece that is funny and exciting with excellent ideas and stunt choreography by Jackie Chan. This is also a must see if you want to watch Jackie in drag.

Superior Martial Arts Movie

Author: Colin-30 from Baltimore, Maryland
19 April 1999

Jackie Chan in "Hsiao chuan yi chao" is Kung Fu's answer to Charlie Chaplan. Yes I admit that some critics may accuse the film of having a flimsy plot line or cheesy dialogue, but my God, the humor and action scenes more than make up for all of the movie's shortcomings! I have two words for anyone who has seen this movie and is on the fence as to whether or not it was the best movie that they have ever seen: Tea Cha. The scamming teacher of the S.S.S. school of kung fu is all that the movie needs. Throw in Jackie Chan's acrobatics and high flying martial arts, and wow! Fans in search of a "good" movie such as Citizen Cane or Driving Miss Daisy should probably stay away, but anyone looking to laugh and be amazed must see The Fearless Hyena starring Jackie Chan.

Chopstick Duel of unbelievable proportions!

Author: smakawhat from Washington, DC
14 May 2000

Well what can I say about Jackie.. he is a total clown in this film. The movie that i saw was dubbed get this... by ENGLISHMEN! So everyone had a British accent and it was a scream it was like watching Monty Python. The film quality however is pretty poor, and the fight scenes even though well choreographed, don't come out spectacular. However, there is the classic humor of Jackie, which even involves himself dressing up as a woman and beating a guy up with his breasts, and an unbelievable chopstick battle for a piece of meat between Jackie and his teacher (THIS WAS AMAZING HOW THE HELL DID THEY DO THAT you'd HAVE TO SEE IT TO BE BELIEVED!!)

Martial Rating 6.5 out of 10

Overall rating 5 out of 10

High quality kung fu fightings

Author: verano2 from Germany, Berlin
3 March 2003

This film is a ´must´ for all fans of high quality kung fu fightings. It represents the variety of of kung fu more than all other films with Jackie Chan. The story comes fairly simple and is mainly focused on the best fighting action scenes in addition to the legendary scenes with bruce lee.

Good fights, and uh... that's about all. Still good though

Author: EricD-3 from Montreal
11 August 1999

If you like Jackie Chan movies solely for the great Kung Fu fights, this is one movie not to miss. It features about 4 LONG battles and one training scene and they are certainly great. I consider this movie to contain some of his best fights ever, after the final battle in Who Am I and the battles in Drunken Master 2.

It is pretty old but if you don't mind that and if you see Jackie Chan movies simply because he kicks butt, don't miss this.

The plot line is not amazing and the people who translated this movie made an awful job at it (I also watched the French version which is WAY better).

Birth of an artist

Author: (winner55) from United States
27 June 2006

For me, the absolute best of Chan's earliest 'star' period (that is, not counting early bit-parts), and actually better than "Drunken Master".

Before judging this film, one has to ask after Chan's real goals here. He wants to demonstrate that he can write a whole narrative that flows in smooth linear fashion; he wants to learn all he can about camera placement and editing; he wants to pay tribute to the comic masters of the past that he truly admires, especially buster Keaton and Douglas Fairbanks (the original Zorro); yet he also wants to demonstrate that he can act serious scenes, and that he can direct other actors performing serious scenes. In this way, he identifies himself as real creative talent, and not a Sammo Hung clone, not a Yuen woo Ping clone, and anything but a Bruce Lee clone - which means that he is already thinking of his future, non-Asian audiences.

So the question becomes, first: whether or not he accomplishes these tasks.

Well, obviously, I think he has.

consider this: With a lesser actor and director, the transition from the 'silent comedy' tribute scenes in the martial arts school at the beginning, to the revenge driven training sequences later on, would snap the film in two. But here, when Chan's character discovers the murder of his grandfather, he also discovers that he himself, in however small a manner, has been instrumental in leading the murderer to his grandfather. Thus, the hidden issue requiring resolution is not revenge at all, but guilt and expiation. This reconstructs the Chan character as a young man on the quest for redemption, not just revenge. (A theme brilliantly emphasized by the very last image of the movie.) On top of this, Chan has demonstrated articulate command of medium; he has also directed James Tien, who little older than himself, to appear convincingly as his grandfather; and of course, the comedy is hilarious, especially the fight in drag.

Chan fans, as well as fans of silent comedy, and of chop-sock kung-fu, owe it to themselves to see this movie, enjoy it, and remember it.