IMDb > Hot Rod (1979) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Hot Rod (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Great movie

Author: thunderheart168 from United States
4 February 2004

By far the best drag racing movie ever, especially the cars that are used and the music soundtrack really makes it an overall great film, i really wish that they would put it on video or dvd. Or atleast show it on television now and then.

Excellent movie for any car racing fan

Author: redrose8181 (redrose8181@yahoo.com) from United States
11 January 2004

I just love this movie!!! From the first time that I had watched this movie, I just can't get enough of it. I remember first watching it when it re-aired late night on our local ABC channel at 2am in the morning. Ever since then I searched for the movie not knowing that my mother had actually taped the movie. After about eleven years, I watched the movie again. All in all for being a low budget film, I think they did one heck of a job. I also really love the small bits of humor throughout the movie as well as the music and you can't forget the racing!!

Best drag racing movie of all time

Author: JohnNkaryn (JohnNkaryn@aol.com) from Saint Petersburg, Florida
6 May 2002

Being a big fan of drag racing, i think this movie is deffinately the finest 1/4 mile drag movie of all time, the cars are phenominal and the track actions is the greatest especially being about vintage drag racing, also the music soundtrack couldnt be any better, overall just a great movie and i wish it would be available on dvd or vhs to purchase.

Best car movie ever

Author: dlajeunesse from Canada
10 July 2006

By far the best movie I have ever seen. I'm having a hard time remembering as I seen it many years back.This movie deserves to be shown again and I would love to see it released on DVD or any other type of video I could purchase. Does anyone know If a video exists?? Please let me know and how I could obtain a copy. True die hard Willy's coupe fan.This story is based on street racing, that has a great message for all. Racing should be a track event only and no one should race on public streets. The choice of cars was interesting. A Willy's coupe against local boys Oldsmobile 442.Very dramatic story line and a edge of your seat thriller. My hats off to everyone involved in the making of this movie.

Check ebay to find this movie!!!

Author: redrose8181 (redrose8181@yahoo.com) from United States
18 October 2006

This is a great low budget racing movie!! I remember watching it many years ago when it came on TV late at night. It's almost hard to believe that ABC made this movie to be shown as a made for TV movie in 1979. It would be nice if they listed in the credits of the movie what songs were featured in it and the name of the band in the concert scene. A soundtrack release for this movie would've been nice also, but as far as I know, they never did have one. Anyway, I've noticed a few comments about finding this movie. I would check ebay. I have found many old movies on there that have been old video store rentals or were released for a short time. There are copies of this movie on there but the majority are bootleg copies and not actual video releases. As far as I know, they had not released the movie since the time that it appeared in the 90s in the movie store as a rental. Hope this helps.

If you would like this movie

Author: bubblerxo from United States
20 August 2007

I have this movie on DVD...This one is a classic any fan of hot rods will want to see. It's all about the Munn's Root Beer Nationals at the "Bayland" drag strip in Freemont,Califorina, and every competitor who doesn't run a Munn's decal on their car is harassed by the corrupt local cops. But you'll see enough interesting cars to make it worth your while. A young racer attempts to win a dragstrip competition in this film alternately known as Hotrod and Rebel of the Road

N-e one who would like to own this movie just click on the link below and you can download it through demonoid.com

ThanXz

great movie

Author: hlarmstrong from Canada
6 January 2006

My husband and I are avid movie watchers and we enjoy all genres. We found this movie to be the best hot rod movie made in years. We really enjoyed it and we wish it was available on DVD or video. What we really liked is that it was a fairly accurate reflection of that time period. The story line was good and so was the acting. My husband's favourite part was when they stole the engine out of the police car and everyone chipping in to help the hero was great too. It is appropriate for family viewing as well. It's too bad there aren't more movies like this. We'd like to get a copy for our collection. Hopefully if enough people comment of this movie it will become available for purchase.

Brilliant Movie

Author: shaztrans from FELTHAM ENGLAND
2 January 2006

I saw this movie on TV many years ago luckily i taped it . and as usually happens lent it out to friends who were also suitably impressed but unfortunately i never got it back . I have been trying for years to get another copy so if anyone knows where i can get a copy i will be thrilled . not only the fast action of the drag racing but the absolutely superb soundtrack by many top artists and some not so well known adds to the edge of the seat excitement . I have watched many other drag racing movies but none holds a candle to this one.not only was the storyline well written it was well acted and i feel that it was totally realistic and totally believable . I wish i could give it more than 10 out of 10

Rare one for the collection

Author: gohuskies82 from United States
18 December 2005

As far as racing movies go, this one is a great one to get ahold of. I personally looked for this movie for several years and was able to get a used VHS copy of it. I believe it just came out on DVD not too long ago and I am sure that it is a limited release. I love the 1969 Cutlass driven by Grant Goodeve (Sonny Munn) that they have in it, and there aren't many movies that feature a '69 Olds in them. I have a 1969 4-4-2 and a 1969 Cutlass Convertible and had to have this movie in my collection. I believe that this may have been a made-for-TV movie, and was originally titled "Rebel Of the Road." This made it very difficult to find, since the video release was called "Hotrod." In this ABC made-for-TV movie, Brian Addison (Gregg Henry) comes to town to compete in the National Drag Races. Unknown to him, the deck is stacked against him. But with the help of some local folks, he puts together a hemi-powered and blown 1941 Willys coupe. Jenny (Robin Mattson) provides the romance and Robert Culp is T. L. Munn, the low-life promoter along with Pernell Roberts as the corrupt cop.

Lots of drag racing from the Fremont Drag Strip in No Cal. with various hot rods, funny cars and top fuelers from the '70s. Hang on for a fun ride! A "must have" for any fan of drag racing.

Raw Drag and Street Racing

Author: The-M from Canada
6 March 2006

This Movie contains enough Raw Drag and Street Racing to be a great Drag Racing movie, you can almost smell the rubber and smoke.

If you didn't love Hemi's before watching the movie you will after. I think this movie made Grey primer cool, and as for Willy's Coupes! Well you will just have to watch the movie.

One of my favorite parts is when they all sneak into the museum and steal the Blower from Munn's own car, Sticking it to the man is always good watching.

Gregg Henry who plays Brian Edison ( the lead ) is believable as the happy go lucky guy next door type, who we can all relate to.

The Soundtrack fits well to the movie and brings you right into the story line, makes you wish for Drive In Movie's and Summer.

I wish it was out on DVD.