IMDb > The Frisco Kid (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Frisco Kid

The Frisco Kid More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

SPOILER: Oy! Such a great film this is!

Author: arieliondotcom from United States
25 July 2006

Gene Wilder was born to play this role and he does it almost reverently. It is just superb, funny and touching and warm and suspenseful...the classic "I laughed, I cried, I worried...then I laughed again!" The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is because there is a lot of unnecessary cursing. There is a certain humor from hearing the rabbi curse, and with an accent yet! But it gets old fast and disrespectful. And that keeps it from being a family film even the kids can enjoy.

The other drawback is that Harrison Ford is awful. I think Ford is a great actor in later films, but while he's still in this "let's put him in a film because he was big in Star Wars" stage, not so much. And it's even more of a tragedy if the trivia is true that John Wayne could have played the part. The contrast between Wayne and Wilder would have made the West and this film...well, even Wilder! It is a wonderful, wonderful film. You'll find yourself humming happily in Hebrew for days afterward. All that and a happy ending? Oy Gevalt!

Sweet and real movie about friendship

Author: dougmarshall_94142 from United States
4 May 2006

When "The Frisco Kid" first came out, people were expecting a Mel Brooks type of comedy, because Gene Wilder had been in Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein (and The Producers). And because of this the film wasn't appreciated as it should have been. Comedies don't have to be vulgar, they don't have to resort to toilet humor, unless that is the type of comedy that a film maker does best. Here is an example of a sweet story, which probably can tell you so much about being Jewish in a non-Jewish world than any other movie. Gene Wilder jumping off the cliff, yelling Sheeeee-it, and Harrison Ford following, yelling Oy Kavol! is one of moviedom's funniest moments.Gene Wilder telling Harrison Ford, "You are my best friend. You're my only friend!" one of the most honestly emotional moments. The chemistry between the two is magical. They should have done more. The DVD release has been long awaited.

Best ever from Gene Wilder

Author: Steve Berk (fenderplucker49@hotmail.com)
19 February 2004

This is one of the most hillarious films me and my family have ever seen, we watch it a few times a year and my 18 year old daughter quotes lines from it at opportune moments.

Wilder is at his best, even when with Mel Brooks, he makes this film. Ford, although a little out of his usual character, pulls off the comedy role with ease, although I have noticed he never acknowledges this project in any of his bios. Frisco Kid will never be a classic or epic but if you're just looking for a good time and some great laughs, this is the one.

Most notable comedic scenes include:

The Indian purify your soul scene: "Whoooo the hell are you."

The Indian dance scene: "...I tink dat lady is a Jewish Indian."

"....give a little jump, a little biddy jump."

The Monastary dinnier scene: "....de salt, please pass de salt...tank

you.......you're welcome!!!!!"

Wilder turning his horse the wrong way: "Speak any Mexican, do you?"

This is a great movie, and like the old saying goes: "You don't have to be Jewish to understand it....but it helps."

Great Western Comedy

Author: KMM from Topeka, KS
23 March 2002

I am sure there are those of you out there that remember this western-comedy from the late 70's. For those of you that don't, I highly recommend this movie. Gene Wilder and Harrison Ford star as an unlikely pair traveling across America in the Old West. Gene Wilder plays a rabbi trying to get to San Francisco for his own wedding. On the way he is robbed by some two-bit thieves. He teams up with Harrison Ford and the two embark on a series of humorous mishaps as they try and get back the rabbi's stolen goods including his Torah. The movie really has some funny moments and even if you are not a big western fan this movie will leave you highly entertained. It will leave you with a "feel good" attitude when the end credits roll. The dance number with Gene Wilder and some Indians is absolutely classic. The movie is a must for Gene Wilder fans. I feel this is one of his best movies. Watch The Frisco Kid today!

A wonderful warm movie

Author: ruk from Toronto Ontario
24 August 1999

I enjoyed this movie. It feels authentic and I have viewed it many times and not tired of it. The interplay between the Rabbi and the cowboy is something special and the ending is satisfying. The theme is universal.

A Slow Moving Comedy/Western

Author: anonymous from Minneapolis, MN
21 July 1999

An early Harrison Ford film (not one of his better ones), Gene Wilder plays (and plays "well", I might add) a Rabbi from Poland thrown into Old West America. The plot trucks along at a sleepy pace, and we find ourselves saying, "This bit, again?" a good deal. Key plot points include the friendship between the two main characters, which at times gets eerily homoerotic. Not exactly a must-rent, but 12:30 on a Sunday afternoon, what the heck...

Jew goes west

Author: helpless_dancer from Broken Bow, Oklahoma
15 August 2001

Good comedy with Wilder and Ford doing a good job portraying the mismatched odd couple. The whole picture was played for cornball laughs, and there are a few, but I've seen much better comedies. A fun film overall, worth seeing; and the great Arizona backdrop was a real plus.

Great Movie

Author: Ira Siegel from LA, California
28 February 2006

You already know the basic story: Greenhorn rabbi (Wilder), hoping to make it to San Francisco after getting off the boat in Philadelphia from Poland, travels with travails across USA in 1850, and runs into a robber (Ford), who is really the rabbi's guardian angel. Should I give away any more of the plot points? NO!! Is there adventure? YES! Is there excitement? YES! Is there comedy? YES! Are there any hot babes? YES! Is there romance? YES! Are life lessons taught? Yes! Do you feel real good after watching this movie? YES!

Wonderful performances by Wilder and Ford, and a great story. Sure, there are some things I would have liked to have seen done differently, but the sum here is greater than its parts. A must see for adults and children (although for kids under 10 years old, parents should probably watch it first to assure themselves that the entire movie is suitable for the kids).

A carp: I do not recall the image quality of the theatrical version of this movie. The image quality of the DVD is acceptable, but clearly not great. YOU SHOULD WATCH THIS MOVIE ANY WAY!

Better Than Rye Bread

Author: agwaurora from United States
25 August 2005

To paraphrase an old advertising slogan "You don't have to be Jewish to like Rosen's Rye bread"... you don't have to be Jewish to LOVE this movie! If "The Frisco Kid" doesn't make you laugh and feel on top of the world you're ready to be fitted for the box with the big lid on it.

Gene Wilder has always been one of my favorite actors. I believe this is his funniest role. I'll always cherish his performances in "Blazing Saddles", "Young Frankenstein", "Silver Steak" etc, but when I'm feeling a bit down I can count upon "The Frisco Kid" to lift me out of my doldrums.

Wilder and Harrison make a perfect duo.

These Saddles aren't Blazing; They're Frigid!

Author: mark.waltz from United States
8 January 2013

Whether or not this is supposed to be a comedy or a traditional western is difficult to decipher. Perhaps in somebody's mind the idea of a Western "Road" movie with a Polish Rabbi (Gene Wilder) and a bandit (Harrison Ford) seemed like a winner, but it unfortunately ends up being a western "Ishtar".

With the intention of getting to a synagogue in San Francisco with his promised bride to be waiting (he thinks), Rabbi Wilder (87th in the class of 88) heads across the Atlantic and is hoodwinked out of his cash and prized Torah on his way out of Pennsylvania. The thought of confusing Jewish culture with the Amish had crossed my mind as being somewhat humorous, but here, it is stupid and even rather offensive. Then, Wilder combines traditional Jewish dances with those of Indians, and the result is tackier than a cauldron of beans being eaten around a camp fire. With only Wilder and Ford having any name recognition (only Ian Wolfe in a cameo as a monk is anybody familiar to veteran film goers), this is a lonely film for familiar faces. Wilder's bushy hair and wild eyed features seem like he still had make-up on from the black-face sequence in "Silver Streak". At least he is innocent here of any creative input in the film, which was directed by Robert Aldrich, who may be a master of the macabre and melodrama, but someone who knew absolutely nothing about comedy.

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]