IMDb > Breaking Away (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 10 of 10: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]

The 'Napoleon Dynamite' of its time

Author: Don McCullen from Colorado Springs, Colorado
21 July 2005

25 years before Napoleon Dynamite was released, another film about kids coming of age in a small town was in the big screen cinema. That movie was called "Breaking Away." Ironically both movies were released by FOX.

Like Napoleon Dynamite, Breaking Away was also shot in the same small town in which the movie took place rather than some sound stage in Hollywood. Rather than Preston, Idaho; the town ND takes place, Breaking... takes place in the town of Bloomington, Indiana.

The outcasts in this film called "Cutters" and were fair game to a group of college students that attend the local University in town, and came from other parts of the country and even the world. You see chances are that the Cutters would not go to college and would stick to their blue collar lifestyle for the rest of their days. Some collage kids look down upon this.

The Cutters would face off with these college snobs (and then some) in the town's annual bike race (Little 500). The best rider is Dave Stoller (played by Dennis Christopher) who tries to mimic the Italians (and driving his parents, neighbors, and even his friends crazy in the process) in his attempt to become one of the best cyclist in the nation if not the world. Dennis Quaid was on his way to becoming a movie star by portraying the though cutter and leader of the group Mike.

The big difference between the Napoleon Dynamite and Breaking Away is that this movie had more of a plot.

If you saw Napoleon Dynamite then I recommend you check out "Breaking Away."

could identify and hope for the young

Author: fbmessex from colorado United States
23 February 2005

had fun from the beginning and was awake to the end. Everyone hopes for the young. This is full of hope and some fear for them too. Parents can see themselves in the time slot of young and old. Hopes and fears. For themselves in the off springs and desires to give back to youth some of the lessons used in life. In failure and in success and dreams. The spoils of dreams the spoils of failure. Out of which come the hope for the future. Loved the acting and being able to see famous actors as they were starting out. Even the not so famous and the promise of them as portraits of real life. Would certainly see again. Love the Hoosier type movies and the battle of the little guy against the odds.

Lots of talent underscoring false realism...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
13 July 2008

Four young men in Bloomington, Indiana have yet to find their niche after graduating high school. The central kid (Dennis Christopher) is an unemployed ne'er-do-well obsessed with Italian culture and bicycle racing; he argues with his father over the direction of his life while training for the next bike race and attempting to woo a college lass under a false identity. Although writer Steve Tesich won an Oscar for his original screenplay, and the cast is full of solid talent, this "little movie" is merely pleasant instead of being remarkable. The early scenes (especially one with Paul Dooley overacting as Christopher's Pop) are full of expository dialogue, the kind of bogus conversations you might hear in a pilot episode for a TV sitcom ("That boy should be in college!" ... "He doesn't want to go to college!"). Producer-director Peter Yates isn't entranced by the sight of bicycle riders coming over a country road on a misty morning; he's far too literal in his approach to these small-towners, and there's no art in his presentation. It's humdrum enough to nearly make audiences think they're seeing something substantial and evocative. They're not. **1/2 from ****

Info in lead character's info is somewhat incorrect...

Author: Tom Delaney from Midlands, SC
7 April 2008

Concerning the lead character's info, about him graduating from the parochial high school in Philadelphia in 1968, I feel that info could be incorrect. Reason: he was born in 1955 and that would have made him graduate from high school in either 1973 or 1974, not in 1968 - which would have made him roughly 13 years old. In other words, he is either older than what his birth date is listed as or he actually graduated with his age group. And, it appears that all the actors in the film - with the exception of Jackie Earle Haley, are older than the characters they play. What do you think? Do you agree that the info of the lead character's high school graduation date is incorrect and should be changed?

Once A Cutter,Always A Cutter!!

Author: ehrldawg from illinois
20 August 2012

I was at the exit 5 Beacon in Indianapolis. I was talking to the driver who had his truck in the south bay. He was telling me that he only had one speeding ticket in his whole driving career. He was driving near Bloomington. He was pacing a young bicyclist. he got up to 60 mph,when smokey pulled him over for speeding. I asked,"I thought you guys,back in the day, got extra points for hitting a bicyclist".

So,When the kids in Bloomington get bored,they go to Terra Haute to find some kicks instead of Indianapolis. If this is true,how come Bloomingtons own Johnny Cougar didn't do a song or a video about this fact. By the way,was Johnny Cougar there for the shoot of "Breaking Away"? Why wasn't Indiana basketball legend Bobby Knight in this movie?

An Unknown Actor drives the Peterbuilt 18 wheeler.

That Unnkown Actor is a permanent A list actor!! Barbara Barrie,Robyn Douglas,Amy Wright,Lisa Shure, and Jennifer Mickel are hot!!!

---One Truck Drivers Opinion---

Okay, but nothing special

Author: Christopher Smith
19 February 2005

When BREAKING AWAY started, I got the feeling it was going to be one of those movies that was like ANIMAL HOUSE or PORKY'S. I don't know why I thought so, but I did. Well, it turns out BREAKING AWAY is nothing like ANIMAL HOUSE or PORKY'S. It's totally different. That said, I was not crazy about the movie. I didn't hate it, yet I didn't love it either. My main problem with it was that I cared more about the supporting characters than I did about the main character. The story focuses on David most of the time, but I wanted more focus on the lives of Mike and Cyril. I also would have liked to see more of John Ashton as Mike's brother. Another downside, Moocher got to me. I didn't care for him. I don't know if it was the character that bugged me or if it was the actor that bugged me. Maybe it was both. Also, despite getting an Academy Award nomination for her role, Barbara Barrie wasn't given a whole lot to do with her role. She just sat there in a number of scenes with about three lines in each. I am surprised she got nominated for the role and yet Paul Dooley was not nominated for his role. He was certainly the highlight of the film.

Technically speaking, BREAKING AWAY is a good movie. The directing, editing, and cinematography is very well done, especially in the bike riding scenes. However, that is not enough for me to recommend BREAKING AWAY. It simply just wasn't altogether interesting and failed to impress me. The ending was too predictable as was the rest of the movie. I don't like predictability in movies and this is as predictable as they come. **

What an absolute waste of time!!

Author: dnwalker from United States
11 September 2000

This had to be one of the all-time stupid movies ever made. It was on the Bravo channel, which should have been a tipoff that it would be weird and artsy. Four overgrown little boys run around acting stupid and wasting their time, one of them imagining that he's a blond Italian opera singer or something! I can't imagine why the movie was made, much less how it could receive the high rating IMDB shows for it.

Page 10 of 10: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]