IMDb > Breaking Away (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Interesting story

Author: Mark Krenz from Bloomington, IN
15 February 2003

Even though I've lived in Indiana most of my life and in Bloomington since 1996, I never saw this film until 1999. I was going out on a first date with this girl and we happened to walk by the Indiana Theater on Kirkwood avenue. We noticed that they were having the 20th anniversary celebration for Breaking Away inside and decided to join in the fun. Not only where they showing the movie projected, they also had guest appearances by Peter Yates (the director) and Dennis Christopher (Dave). I had the oppurtunity to meet Dennis afterwards. While watching the movie during this event Dave and his friend (in the film) walk by the very theater we were watching it in. Everybody in the theater just kind of said "huh" altogether. Great film. Why don't they make more like this.

Classic coming-of-age film

Author: OCOKA from Chicago, IL
4 September 2004

<Warning: Minor spoilers cometh.> I first saw this movie in a theatre right after it came out in the fall of 1979. I was like 11-years old and trying get into a Saturday night showing of "Apocalypse Now" with a few other friends during a b-day outing.

That night (I still remember quite vividly 24-years later), the cashier at the Golf Mill Theatre in Niles, Illinois (a suburb of Chicago) was being a total wench and wouldn't let us -- a bunch of well-groomed, fresh-faced, albeit unaccompanied 11-year olds -- into an "R"-rated flick. So, the only other option playing that night was "Breaking Away", which we reluctantly decided to see instead. Being the very last ones in the theater, we were seated front-and-center in the very first row -- just feet from the bottom of the screen.

And although we spent the entire two hours of the movie with our eyes skyward and our necks bent at an obtuse angle in order to see this movie, "Breaking Away" proved to be one of the best coming-of-age movies that I have ever seen.

Anyways, it was great watching this movie in a theatre. During the entire showing we laughed, we yelled, we screamed, we snickered, we guffawed, we threw popcorn at the screen -- we did it all. And when Dave (played by Dennis Christopher) brought the "Cutter" Team home in the last lap of the "Little-500" Bicycle Race, we cheered -- boy, did we cheer -- along with the rest of the theatre.

Those were the days, and this film is now one of my top-10 "feel-good flicks" of all time. Side note: About two years after the film came out, I happened to bump into the inimitable Robyn Douglass (who played the hot coed Katherine/"Caterina") at a sporting goods store in downtown Wilmette, Illinois. I wanted to say something to her, but I couldn't b/c I was tongue-tied due to my teenage hormones getting the better of me (I was 13 at the time). Come to think of it, that just about summed up the totality of my teenage existence back then, but I digress.

Memorable characters in this film were Dennis Quaid as "Mike", the aging ne'er-do-well townie living on his past successes as a high-school football quarterback; Daniel Stern as the bucolic wiseacre "Cyril" (in his first cinematic appearance); and Jackie Earle Haley as "Moocher", the volatile clock-punching runt. There was also the unforgettable performance by second-city veteran and co-creator of the inimitable 1970's children's show, "The Electric Co.", Paul Dooley, portraying the disaffected used-car salesman "Raymond" -- Dave's father.

Some of the most memorable scenes in this movie are set to classical scores -- especially the fantastic racing scenes. For example, my personal favorite is when Dave finds out that Team CinZano is coming to Indianapolis for a big cycling race. He immediately kisses everybody in sight, crosses himself, and says "Santa Maria" -- even though his family isn't Catholic. He then hops on his racing bike, and proceeds straightaways to the outskirts of town, where he intercepts the Team CinZano truck (how likely is that?) on the Interstate passing through town.

Dave then goes head-to-head with the speeding semi-truck until he overtakes it at 60 mph, with the old-timer truck driver egging him on every step of the way as he calls out his speed with hand signals out the window. The entire scene has outstanding long-shots of Dave racing a semi on a highway set to Mendelssohn's "Italian" Symphony No.4 in A major, opus 90.

The other great racing scene is during Dave's starcrossed participation in the "Indianapolis 100" cycling event where Dave fatefully endeavors to strike it up with Team CinZano. The entire race is set to Rossellini's rousing "William Tell Overture", and is simply riveting -- as well as shocking.

The funniest scene, though, is when Dave serenades his pipedream sorority chick, "Caterina", whom he's infatuated with to Flotow's aria "M'appari, tutt'amor" -- "MAARTHA, MARTHA" -- in front of her Chi Delt sorority house. To die for -- especially, when he "gets" the girl and they ride off into the night in the middle of campus, albeit with "Caterina" precariously perched atop the handlebars of his ten-speed.

Incidentlally, of all the "Breaking Away" cast members, Dooley and Quaid had the most prolific and successful careers afterwards. Dooley would go on to play Molly Ringwald's goofball dad 7-years later in "Sixteen Candles," and Dennis Quaid, of course, has been in everything from "The Right Stuff" to "DOA" to "InnerSpace" to "The Rookie".

(Sidebar: I graduated from a "land-grant" state university myself that was virtually identical to I.U. Bloomington -- complete with "townies" and everything. I did a lot a cycling at the time, and every time I did, I couldn't help but feeling exactly like Dave Stoller.)

Hat's off to a primo, nummero uno coming-of-age flick!

Endearing hero, fabulous music, heartwarming coming of age film

Author: roghache from Canada
21 September 2006

This is my absolute favourite coming of age movie! It has an endearing teenage hero, an engaging story, a touching theme, an amazing musical score, and an abundance of humour. The story revolves around Dave Stoller and his three buddies, four misfits who have just graduated from high school.

Dave recently received a bicycle as a gift, has become a good racer locally, and his heroes are the Italian Cinzano racing team. To the consternation of some, his life begins to revolve around his dreams of becoming a racing champion, to the extent that he basically tries to turn himself into an Italian. He learns the language, absorbs the culture, listens to its operas, and gives his cat an Italian name Fellini! He even pretends to be an Italian exchange student in order to impress a pretty sorority girl named Katherine, whom he calls Caterina and feels would otherwise be beyond his reach.

Dave makes an appealing hero, wonderfully portrayed by Dennis Christopher, vulnerable but with an amazing joie de vivre. His hilarious attempts at becoming Italian, for example shaving his legs like their men but not their women, proved one of the highlights of the movie. The scene where he serenades his Caterina at her sorority house has to be one of the most charming in all filmdom. I was also bowled over by his endearing enthusiasm when he discovers "The Italians are coming!", that his racing heroes will soon be arriving in his hometown of Bloomington, Indiana where the entire tale is set, culminating in the Indiana Little 500 cycling race.

Dave is a kid who doesn't think he is good enough for college, lives in a fantasy world of Italian cycling, and wants to break away from his own aimless, mundane life. This is a typical coming of age movie in that he learns a lot about himself and the realities of life, especially from the behaviour of his heroes, the Cinzano racing team. His three sidekicks are a sympathetic bunch -- the rebellious, angry Mike, the short, feisty Moocher, and the goofy, appealing Cyril who seems to have no family. Through competing against the college crowd in the Little 500, they learn lessons in self esteem and team spirit, believing in yourself and striving toward reachable goals.

Breaking Away is a movie with obvious social class themes. Dave and his friends are "townies" called Cutters, named for the stonecutters from the town's quarries. The students at the nearby college campus look down their noses at these Cutters. However, Dave's father, who is a car salesman lacking a college education himself, teaches his son to take pride in the name, that it was stonecutters who built these impressive college buildings.

The film is refreshingly unusual in having a major sympathetic role played by Dave's parents. I absolutely loved the father, portrayed by Paul Dooley, the source of much of the film's humour, announcing for example that he doesn't want anything in his house that ends with 'ini'! Mr. Stoller despairs of his son's Italian phase, fearing verbally that Dave is going to wind up an Italian bum! Both the marital relationship between Dave's parents and the bond between father and son are captured with poignancy as well as humour.

When I first saw this movie after its original release, the thing that remained with me besides the charming joie de vivre of its hero was the wonderful Italian music, from Mendelssohn's Italian Symphony and a Rossini opera. This musical score provides magnificent accompaniment to the bicycle racing sequences, especially one in which Dave is racing the Cinzano truck on a highway heading toward Bloomington!

This is a heartwarming movie that no one should miss. It may be almost thirty years old but its characters and story are as engaging as the day it was released. I won't give it away, but that last scene is priceless!

Fantastic, a working class fools masterpiece

Author: synchronicity_2005 from United States
21 August 2005

I saw this film at the theater when it was first released. Coming from a blue collar town I don't believe there was a kid alive in our neighborhood who didn't want a 10 speed bicycle after seeing this one.

I also come from an Italian family so this film especially hit financial and nationality cords with us. Although the lead Wasn't Italian his desire to be was humorous and brought haunting familiarity to the film for us.

That however is not why I have been a HUGE fan of this movie for the last 26 years. The characters are... They are portrayed by the actors with such intense realism that to deny this films significance to every single person who comes from a blue collar background in a somewhat large city would be ludicrous.

I dare anyone from a working class family who was coming of age in the late 70s and early 80s to deny this films relevance. I knew every single one of these characters personally growing up from the used car salesman father to the Marlboro smoking muscle car abusing bad ass. From the quiet yet forceful mother to the tall skinny goofball "ceral"...Moocher to Dave I knew them all every single one of them residing in or near my neighborhood.

This film touched our hearts. It spoke of the emotional struggles we went through as children and adults being in a blue collar world. The fantastic part? It did this with humor, a sense of friendship(regardless of how dysfunctional) and an innocence on the brink of realization. Just the way it was. We cheered loudly at the end of this movie as we ate our goobers and popcorn then sighed silently as we left the theater squinting to take the city bus home...

The Oscar winning script is so good that no matter how many times you watch the video there is something interesting to be discovered.

Author: Rosemea D.S. MacPherson from US
8 May 1999

Yates (Curtain Call) directed, the Oscar winning screenplay was written by the late Steve Tesich (The World According Peter to Garp). Dennis Christopher (It's My Party, The Profiler (Jack)) plays Dave, who likes to pretend to be Italian, calls his mother Barbara Barrie ("Suddenly Susan") "mama", and his dad "papa", shaves his legs because bicyclists in Italy are supposed to do that, and his friend Mike says: "weird country, the men shave their legs but the women don't". Dave also calls his cat Fellini. Even his ashtray is Cinzano brand. He is so entertaining! He sings Italian songs, pretends to be a Italian student to date one of the sorority girls, Katherine, Robyn Douglass is to Dave "Catherine". High school graduates do not know what do to with their lives. Dave is a local and is not even in college, yet. The college students call the locals kids pejoratively "Cutters", because their parents or someone in a generation back used to be stone cutters. Dennis Quaid (Parent Trap, D.O.A.) is Mike. You get the chance to hear Dennis Quaid sing! Quaid used to have a band. Mike is somewhat rebellious and sometimes annoying but over all just a young adult coping with being a cutter and trying to compete with all the rich college students. He feel jealous of the college students and is annoyed that he does not know what to do with his own life. He drives this "land yacht" which is the ugliest car you will ever see! Daniel Stern (City Slickers, D.O.A.) is Cyril and Jackie Earle Haley (Nemesis) is Moocher are the rest of the quartet of friends. They have fun, know each other really well. But they are competing with the college students from Bloomington, Indiana.

Paul Dooley, (I'll Remember April) is the Dad who hates all those Italian things that his son likes so much. He says that all Italian foods end with an "ini" such as: zucchini, liguini, fettuccine, and so on.

Dave is a bicyclist who is looking forward to meeting the Italian team that is coming to town. He seems to naively think that the Italian team will welcome him with open arms. Boy, does he gets disappointed! The Italian team groups up against him and one sticks a bicycle pump in his spokes. Later the four of them decide to race in a college race as a Cutter team and the university kids make fun of them. The cutter team, the little guys win. We all like that! Dad them decides to bike also, and to his surprise the son gives up been Italian and now turns French and passes dad on the street and says: Bon Jour! papa. He goes go to college, where he is now after a mademoiselle and no longer cares for the bambina.

Favorite Scenes: Dave racing the Cinzano truck, the four of them swimming in the lake on a lazy summer day, the cutter team winning the race, Dave singing to Catherine. Favorite lines: Son :"Did you know that fly in Italian is Mosca! Dad:" Did you know that fly in English is pest." Dad: "All Italians food end with an "ini": zucchini, liguini, fettuccine". Darn, I want some American food! I want french fries! "Oh! Dave, please do not turn Catholic on us!"

This a fun movie. I have the tape and every once and awhile will watch it. The script is so good that no matter how many times you watch it there is something interesting to be discovered.

When the bitterness of disillusion gives victory its sweetest taste ...

Author: ElMaruecan82 from France
11 December 2013

If there was one film I've been dying to watch for many years, it is the fifth Best Picture nominee of 1979, the 8th most inspiring American movie from AFI's Top 100, the 8th sports movie from AFI's Top 10, the gem that has been impossible to find in my usual DVD stores: "Breaking Away". The first of the many satisfactions the film provided me was the magical moment where I finally found it… and God, I wasn't disappointed.

"Breaking Away" opens in a small town of Indiana, with four friends and as many personalities to identify with. Mike (Dennis Quaid) is a former athlete venting the bitterness of unfulfilled athletic dreams on local college' upper-class students. Moocher (Jackie Earle Haley) is hung-up on his height, trying to repress his insecurity while enduring derogatory nicknames every day. Cyril (Daniel Stern) a tall and lanky former basket-ball player and guitar apprentice cares as much about his future as his own father cared about him. And surprisingly, Dave (Dennis Christopher), the central protagonist is the most upbeat of the bunch.

"Breaking Away" is one of these miracles that only the New Hollywood era could provide, something that cuts straight to your heart without you even noticing it. It carries the authentic realism of its Best Picture co-nominee "Norma Rae", with a more heart-warming effect: you smile, laugh and embrace the friendship between these boys who don't know what to do with their post-high-school future, and keep reinventing the world when they go swimming in the abandoned water-filled quarry. And there is something in Peter Yates' directing, that invites the viewer to seize the present with enthusiasm.

And the enthusiasm is embodied by one of the most engaging and lovable characters I've seen in a long time. Dave is so obsessed with the Italian cycling team he translated it in his own life. He talks and sings in Italian and in English with Italian accent, infuriating his Dad (Peter Dooley) who must endure food ending with '-ini-' all the time instead of something American like French Fries. The portrayal of Dave's parents is far from the stereotypical detachment, the mother (Oscar-nominated Barbara Barries) cares too much while the father believes a 19-year old shaving his legs, listening to opera must have some serious issues … While watching Dooley, I kept wondering what happened to his Oscar nomination, he's hilarious to a Walter Matthau-level.

The story goes on, Moocher gets a job but finally leaves it after one 'shorty' too many, Mike keeps clashing and competing with the rich college boys who call him 'cutter', a reference to the working-class that built the college and Cyril is the eternal victim of his helpful nature. Drama always works as a misleading safeguard. Many times, you expect an accident to happen, in the quarry, during a fight, but Dave's excitement to compete against the Italian team, in a local sporting event, makes us lower our guard. Amazingly, Dave isn't your typical bleak and disenchanted underdog hero, his cheerful attitude towers over his friends' struggles as we would all love to do with ours.

And in one of the film's most exhilarating sequences, he follows a semi-truck in a freeway with the perfect music in the background, "Barber of Seville'"s Overture. Dave grabs our heart like Opera our feelings, it's so genuine that many stereotypical situations work like serenading Katherine, the girl he loves, or courting her with an Italian accent, we believe "Catherina" would fall for it, because we would too. And while I loved watching Dave's adventure, I kept wondering what exactly made "Breaking Away" in the AFI's Top 100, no Top 10 most inspiring films … was Dave going to win over the Italians? Big deal! There had to be something.

And that something is the pivotal moment that made me realize there's much more intelligence in "Breaking Away" than your average Sports film, something I could relate to, and that made the ending so emotionally rewarding. Dave finally races with the Italians, he approaches them with an insolent ease, speak Italian with them, but they're obviously irked by that local clown, and finally, the very team he admired jams a tire pump under his wheel and make him crash… and at that moment, we witness with shock the collapse of Dave's dreams. The sparkle disappears with the Italian posters, he talks normally, again, asks his father for help and finds him, he embraces his friends' mood and feels like a loser… naturally, he tells the truth to his girlfriend.

As painful as the fall was, I felt a deliverance to see him act normally, to become himself again. It provides the necessary taste of disillusion and the discovery of cheat in grown-ups world as the obligatory coming-of-age. When he competes in the "Little 500" race against the college boys, he's got determination, self-confidence and three other 'Cutters' to take a few leaps, 'Cutters' stop being an insult, it's their identity. The final victory doesn't surprise us because the real victory is over our demons, it's not just winning but winning by being true to yourself. That's the kind of stuff great stories are made on, and it earned "Breaking Away" a well-deserved award for Best Original Screenplay.

As a screenwriter myself, I was fascinated by the film's narrative and the way it rode back and forth from comedy to poignant drama, as a screenwriter it reminded me how happy I was to work with an author, putting all my sweat and blood into a six-month promising project before he would dismiss me after receiving the first draft. I felt cheated exactly like Dave felt when he was kicked off his bike. But you know what they say about what doesn't kill you.

Refund?!

Author: Scrues1830 from United States
8 August 2013

Isn't it great when you find a movie that you'll plan to watch for the rest of your life? I knew it a long time ago. Dennis Christopher was strong in his performance, especially the parts where he talks with his father about whether or not he should go to college. When I was a kid and watched this for the first time, I knew it was going to be my favorite. I soon became obsessed with cycling as well, and managed to enter one of those races and win second place! I love the screenplay, which definitely deserved the Oscar it won, and the chemistry between all the characters is undeniable. It really makes you believe that they all are good friends. My favorite part is when Dave says, "Everybody cheats, I just didn't know." and as a 13 year old, believe me, that was really philosophical. If you want to watch a movie that will really blow you away, or help you remember what it was like to be a kid, this is the movie for you. All the actors were amazing, and you find yourself relating to a lot of the problems they face. I even wish I saw it much sooner, because after I saw it, my entire look on life changed. It's a real masterpiece!

Breaking Away is my Willoughby.

Author: humbleradio from Tokyo, Japan
10 August 2012

I recently saw this on the big screen here in Tokyo (July 2012).

I hadn't seen it for years, going back decades probably. I saw it originally when it came out, as I was only a couple of years junior to those portrayed on the screen. Like others have mentioned, the acting was superb and true to life. Not one second on screen do you feel anyone is acting. Dennis Christopher as lead character David Stoller is really a joy to behold. His enthusiasm is never forced or fake. He pulls it off beautifully.

And Dennis Quaid's Mike character is probably all too common in this world of high school stars peaking with graduation. His story is quietly repeated among so many who saw their best years in high school only to watch others get the longer lasting glory. The speeches he gives are poignant, deep and yet perfectly fitting of his character. He does a wonderful job of showing the frustration of change.

Daniel Stern's Cyril is perfect as the more comical of the bunch - simply perfect casting. Some of his lines are just priceless.

And Jack Earl Haley and 'Moocher' looks like so many of us looked like back then, me included (though I wasn't short). Long straggly hair, t shirt, jeans and string-bean skinny.

Paul Dooley and Barbara Barrie were wonderful. As were the brief shots of others at the Little 500. I can only imagine they were locals hired as extras.

Hart Bochner (Lloyd's son) did a fine job as the snob jock. Gotta admit, they didn't come better looking than that back then. I sometimes wonder if Paul McTiernan didn't intentionally subject Hart to that somewhat comical but deadly ending in "Die Hard" out of payback for being such a jerk in "Breaking Away".

Katherina played by Robyn Douglass was wonderful. She had that perfect look of girls you would just die for back then. She even resembled a girl me and my pals were all in love with back in Chatham Township high school. I loved her scenes and her moment when she finds out the truth. Really jolts you out of your seat. Choked me up.

Watching this film really made me aware of how we've changed, not just in our clothing or hair styles, but in our entire lives. Everything is brand-name now, everyone is so conscious of who made the object they desire and how much it cost. The more expensive the better. Everything is new and shiny. Every single element in a movie is examined from eyeglasses to shoes to pens. Everything is measured for its affluence and brand quality.

Back then, we had Schwinns, Huffys, Raleighs, even Sears and whatever else we could afford. We wore clothes just like those kids in the move wore, T shirts, old jeans cut-offs in summer, and ripped up sneakers. We had fishing holes or swimming holes and spent enormous amounts of time riding bikes, or just laying in the grass or on rocks in the sun, or up in some tree house, just thinking or talking or planning out the universe... and also about girls, which none of us had actually had any meaningful contact with yet. A magical time in a boy's life.

Reminds me of the time we discovered an old playboy in the woods under a fallen tree. It was a huge deal with us at the time. We'd hide it back under the tree trunk wrapped in some plastic and go back to it when we were back there. Nowadays, the most descriptive and graphic porn that even Ripley wouldn't believe is simply a click away 24/7. It's a different world, indeed.

(Ironically, as a side note, the Playboy issue, we found out years later was the one that highlighted the ill-fated Dorothy Stratton.)

Nowadays, can you imagine anyone, especially a 19 year old kid sitting still out in nature or anywhere else for that matter for even ten seconds without whipping out a smart-phone or some other gadget? Or being seen not having just the right clothes, just the right Nikes or Adidas sneakers? We had converse back then, and they were the cheap sneakers.

It's just sad that such a time in life is gone forever, not just in the styles which were, yes, sloppy, an unkempt, but in the way kids lived. It's an entirely different world today and I wouldn't trade my childhood in the 70s and early 80s with any kid today for all the money in the world.

I sat through the film twice, loving it so much and knowing I'd probably never get a chance to see it on the big screen again. Watching it with tears in my eyes, I really felt such an urge that if I could have, I would've climbed into that screen in a second to go back to that time once again that is never more. Just like Willoughby must've been to Rod Serling.

A classic that is 32 years young

Author: dimplet from United States
20 April 2011

We now have more than a decade of reviews on IMDb of Breaking Away, going back to 1998, enough to conclude, as do many of the reviewers, that this is a classic that has passed the test of time. I would dare say that there will be viewers watching and loving this film 10, 20, 50, 100 years from now. Its theme and message transcend time.

Breaking Away was popular when it came out. It was mentioned in three different college classes within the context of the professor's lecture to illustrate a point. So don't underestimate the depth of concept of this film. It effortlessly works on many different levels, and different people see different things in it. You need to watch it carefully, more than once, to appreciate this. But it has become somewhat forgotten, a sleeper.

However, tears come to my eyes when I think about one of the key messages, explained by the father, after Dave's encounter with the Italian team. It has proved all too true, with the result that the America of 1979 is crumbling around us.

In short, if you haven't seen this movie, watch it. If you don't own it, buy it, because you will want to watch it again, perhaps even 10 or 20 years from now. I've been watching it now and then for more than 30 years.

Jackie Earle Haley, who plays Moocher, was also in Bad News Bears, the original with Walter Matthau. He has some pretty funny lines.

--- On a bicycling note, I happened to find a mint condition Ciocc Itallian racing bicycle from around this period with full Campagnola components and sew on tires. It was a dream to ride, far more agile, yet stable, than my other expensive road bikes. I can see why Dave developed a love affair with his bike.

What I learned is that a well-maintained drive train is nearly silent, at least using modern dry lube. Yet in the movie you can always hear the chain and gears grinding away, especially in the group scene with the Italians. It makes me wonder if bikes back then were really so noisy. Or whether the director or foley man thought too much silence would seem unrealistic to viewers used to cheap bikes, so they added in gear noise.

Also, it becomes amusingly apparent, on close viewing, that Dave is in a very low gear moving slowly, pumping and huffing away, when he appears to be tearing down the road. But most people don't notice this.

The bottom line is this movie often inspires an impulse to get a road bike, and this is a good thing if you have some relatively quiet roads to go long distances, like Dave. On terrain like in the movie, many people could ride 50 or more miles in a day once you get into condition, but with a road or comfort bike, not a mountain bike. It's a great form of recreation. Go for it!

Amazing movie that really touched me

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
23 January 2011

Along with Hoosiers, in my opinion, Breaking Away is one of the better sports movies out there. It is beautifully filmed with the cinematography and scenery both outstanding. The story is touching, brilliantly written and refreshingly unpredictable, while the script is truly remarkable with a perfect blend of wit and sensitivity. Peter Yates does a wonderful job directing, the pace never lags, all the characters are credible and I'll be honest, this film does have an impact on me emotionally. The performances are all marvellous, as good as Daniel Stern and Jackie Earl Haley were, the best are from Dennis Quaid and especially Dennis Christopher. Overall, this is a wonderful movie. 10/10 Bethany Cox

Page 2 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]