IMDb > Bizalom (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Bizalom More at IMDbPro »

A film by masters

Author: htravis from United States
19 February 2008

This was shown as part of a festival of films by Szabo Istvan at the National Gallery of Art Feb-March 08. nga dot gov.Suspense and tension is superbly developed. The ensemble work among actors, director, and cinematographer remind you of the best of Carroll Reed's films. Except they are all better. The male lead must have been the George Clooney of his day in Hungary. What does it mean to trust, surrender, take and give sexual intimacy, and love when you are explicitly denying your identity and suspect what even your love for your spouse? The print was excellent. The English subtitles were projected below the screen. I hope this means a transfer to DVD can be and will be released. I would rent or buy this for at least one more viewing. This is a more personal and affecting film than Szabo's "Sunshine." See it if you have a chance, even before Szabo's other, bigger films. (Colonel Redl, Mephisto, Hanussen.)

Subtle, haunting film

Author: martha mikkleson (mmikkle) from Manorville, NY
27 January 2004

It's been more than 20 years since I saw this film, and yet still it stays with me. Haunting - probably describes it best. Subtle plot development, beautiful and expert acting, complex characters, and wonderful settings and cinematography made this one of my most memorable film-going experiences. The final scene's emotional impact left me breathless and sobbing. I have been waiting many years to see it again. Will someone PLEASE release it for home viewing!?

Capturing shades of grey

Author: sal_taylor from Sydney, Australia
20 May 2002

Who can you really trust? Your husband of many years, or a stranger you have only just met, but upon whom your life depends?

Janos and Kata are thrown together during the war forced to pose as husband and wife to hide from the Nazis. As they grow closer, the intensity and suffocating intimacy of their new relationship and the circumstances in which they find themselves, forces them to confront past prejudices and assumptions and challenge what they truly believe.

The nature of our trust and faith in others is delicately, yet powerfully explored in this profoundly moving film by István Szabó.

love story in an impossible circumstances

Author: yanivli from Israel
8 April 2004

I saw this film, accidentally, in t.v., and I feel astonished how dramatic stories can be expressed by so simple and poor instruments and, still, be so strong and unforgetable. A love story in an impossible circumstances of war and slandering (in Hungary of World War 2) - could exist? may be love cannot exist without freedom? Or, in opposite: real love is possible only in a crazy times? it's very realistic and sad movie which tell us about a short love but real one (because this love stand against all difficulties of those days). I recommend you to see "confidence" and you will not forget this masterpiece drama.

Hungarian film known as "Confidence" in English

Author: eyoder from Arlington, VA
1 July 2004

Like another reviewer, I saw this haunting, moving film decades ago and have been wanting to see it again ever since. It deals with complex, yet very human questions of love, trust, loyalty, and betrayal under unexpected, trying circumstances. I remember it as being superbly acted and the relationship between the two main characters intimately explored and developed. The ending was heart-wrenching. I am about to go to Transylvania and Budapest, but doubt I could find it there in VHS format, subtitled in English. Does anyone know if it has been subtitled in either Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, or French (which I also read)?