IMDb > 10 (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

10 More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

10 out of how many stars?

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
22 April 2006

"10" isn't really the sort of movie that I feel that I can just straightforward review, as it has its ups and downs. The plot of course has composer George Webber (Dudley Moore) going through his midlife crisis all obsessed with the hot young women, thereby messing up his relationship with girlfriend Samantha (Julie Andrews). I guess that if the movie has any problem, it's the casting of Moore. From everything that I've ever heard, it sounds like he was kind of worthless and undesirable to be around. Granted, in this movie he does a passable job as George, although it's hard to tell whether the movie is romanticizing or ripping at the LA lifestyle.

As for the movie's famous scene - Bo Derek in her swimsuit - I don't know what else to say. She later spoofed that scene in "Tommy Boy", but I don't know what else she's done recently except appear at the Republican National Conventions. And who on the set of "Mary Poppins" would have ever guessed that Julie Andrews would eventually star in this? Among the really funny scenes in my opinion are the wedding (and the events leading thereto), and what happens when George identifies himself as a Brit. In a way, Dudley Moore was expanding on his character from "Foul Play". Still, I think that we're probably doing Blake Edwards a favor if we remember him more for the "Pink Panther" movies. Also starring Dee Wallace (yep, ET's mom!), Brian Dennehy, and that guy at the end was character actor Don Calfa; you're sure to have seen him somewhere.

10 - Bo Derek and Dudley Moore

Author: powerje75 from United Kingdom
21 September 2005

I really enjoyed this film - the whole dream thing for Dudley followed by him actually managing to pull this lovely young thing... it's the stuff of dreams! It also shows that you should never give up on your dreams, but also that dreams are often better than reality (hence he ended up not going through with it) - it's a quality film that deserves more showings on TV than it gets! Of course the gratuitous nudity helped pass along the more boring moments.. and which red-blooded male wouldn't do as Dudley does? Telescopes are definitely NOT useless during the day despite what Patrick Moore might say! So, for sheer eye candy, coupled with getting an ugly man an attractive girl, this film is great to watch - plus it has many comic moments too of course! Marvellous!

A PLEASANTLY INSIGHTFUL AND FUNNY MOVIE

Author: grocgroc from Appleton, WI
9 August 2002

I had heard the talk generated from my parents at the time this film was current, which planted the seed. I actually saw it about two years after its release and have probably seen it 100 times to date. Now I am at an age where, although happily married, I can relate to it on the same level my parents must have in 1979. (I'm now about the age they were.)

10 deals with the subject of facing up to "middle age." Dudley Moore as songwriter George Webber has just turned 42. He's at that state where he is bored with his hum-drum, though financially rewarding, life. Most of his consternation seems directed at the fact that he feels at that awkward stage where he would like to be a "swinging stud" with the 20 something female set, but most of them view him as they would a father. He becomes enchanted upon catching a glimpse of Bo Derek in a passing limo and goes so far (SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT!!!) as to track her down in Mexico with the hope of seducing her. (Even though she was recently married as he watched previously in the film.) However, this is NOT a stalker film. Rather, it is a goodnatured and lighthearted look at a middle aged "crush." Dudley Moore does a great job here at physical comedy. He is seen constantly drunk or on painpills from his dentist, moody, clutzy, and displaying all the traits that would make his later role as ARTHUR a smash.

There is so much great dialogue in this movie. Some of the best lines go to Robert Webber as his musical collaborator, Hugh. Hugh is an openly (but NOT a "swishy stereotype") gay middle aged man who has some great insight on what is going on in George's head. His explanation of "male menopause" to Julie Andrews as "Sam" is true to life. Julie Andrews is not given a lot to do in this film, and that is unfortunate. She sings a few token songs and trades barbs with Dudley Moore as his girlfriend, but seems really to have been placed in the movie for "name" value. In any event, her role seems to be more of an elongated cameo as she is not really at the center of the action. In the Mexican resort bar, you will note an early role by Brian Dennehy as the bartender who gradually develops a rapport which Dudley Moore's drunken "George." There are some other quick appearances from faces that you will recognize. Among them are the stage and screen veteran Max Showalter as a minister who tells George that "he is also a songwriter" and you'll laugh as George struggles to keep his composure while suffering through the most cliche-filled "hack" lovesong that he then performs. ("Gleeclubs of Moonbeams....sing your name in the blue") The look on Dudley Moore's face is priceless!!!

All in all, this is a sweet and very funny, if sometimes overly slapstick, look at middle-aged men who suddenly want to be a 21 year-old "chick magnet" again, but still face all of the age gaps; different tastes in music, hang-ups about sex, performance anxiety, etc. It's all here and tastefully done. Bo Derek looks great but obviously will never be viewed as a serious actress, yet her scenes with Dudley Moore are adequate for her small role in the film. If you want a simple, fun and funny film that is nothing more than it appears to be, watch this one at least once. I won't give it a perfect 10, but it ranks at least a strong 8.

A defining moment in a young man's life...

Author: Matthew P. Silbernagel from Madison, WI
9 May 2000

All right, so this isn't a great movie. It just happened to come along at the right moment in my life to have an impact. As a young man not yet turned 20, I could certainly identify with both Dudley Moore wanting to recapture youth through a fling with Bo Derek, and Bo Derek just wanting to have fun (and show her appreciation for Dudley's saving her boyfriend's life.) Add to that the fact that I was working at a record shop and remember selling about 9832 copies of Ravel's Bolero, and it boils down to this; "10" brings back a host of good memories for me. - mps

A humorous venture of fulfilling a fantasy

Author: (victor7754@hotmail.com) from Asheville, NC
30 October 2004

Lessons are learned in the morals of love and companionship when lust and fear of death enter the picture. 42, the year of most midlife crisis' for womanizing successful men. George Weber, played very funny by Dudley Moore is seeking a return to youth by pursuing a fantasy woman. What do many men in their midlife want? To feel attractive and desired by beautiful young girls.

The predicaments George Weber gets himself in during his pursuit are hilarious. When he continuously slips down the hill outside his LA hills home with a swollen dental issue it's difficult not to bust. The film touches on the Free Wheeling Hedonist ways of many Californians and finds solace in a more structure relationship. Bo Derek says: " I don't know what your problem is but I don't think you are going to solve it by trying to solve mine and I don't think I have problem" To which Dudley Moore replies: "That's your problem." It's a pivotal moment of recognizing reality verses fantasy.

The film recognizes that Men are weak and give into lust one too many times.

It is a growing experience. Men are afraid to grow up. When does the fun stop.

10 is funny, witty, and sexy. Bo Derek is captivating and casting her in the title role was perfect. When Bo Derek, on her way to her wedding, turns her head to look at Dudley Moore, a tremendous feeling overcomes the senses. She is extraordinary! Then, when we see Bo Derek enter a Hotel Cabana Bar sporting those beaded braids and wearing that white dress...the effect is powerful as she projects the image of a perfect 10. Then, to a Mexico Beach where her presence is very rewarding. When she opens her eyes in that close up it is a tribute to beauty and desire. Dudley Moore is obsessed. Julie Andrews is sexy on the other end of the pole. The gay undertones are well touched upon. Surprisingly fun.....It is a surprise they have not made 10, The Man...just add the male symbol to the 0.

Comic tale of mid-life crisis and seeking the unattainable.

Author: Steve Swayne from Canberra, Australia
29 December 1998

A passing glimpse of a beautiful woman (Bo Derek) on her way to the wedding alter sets in train a series of comic adventures as the protagonist (Dudley More) attempts to seek the unattainable. His quest becomes ultimately hollow when the beautiful woman takes him to bed for no more than a brief recreational romp.

In essence, a comic tale of mid-life crisis set in the wealthy world of Hollywood theatrical types memorable for the use of Ravel's 'Bolero'.

Julie Andrews gives a fine supporting performance as the hapless 'girl friend' of Dudley More. One of Blake Edwards' funniest films, I gave '10' a seven out of ten rating.

In Memory of Dudley Moore

Author: critic_at_large from Hollywood
21 August 2002

Dudley Moore, we will miss you. This film was Moore's signature role - he made it funny, he made it poignant. Blake Edwards' script was funny and sweet, but Dudley brought it to life. A little dated now, but a great trip back to 1979 and still relevant today. If you haven't seen this film at least once, do yourself a favor - skip the latest Adam Sandler vehicle and find this one on the shelf. Adam is no Dudley Moore.

Good show!

Author: arturopanduro from Florida
21 November 2001

Dudley Moore stars as George Webber, a man who sees the girl of his dreams (sexy Bo Derek as Jenny) outside the church she is about to be married in. He follows her on her honeymoon to Mexico, where he heroically rescues her new husband from death and is rewarded with a lot of attention from her. Well-written, well-acted, and beautifully photographed (mostly in Mexico), this is a timeless comedy from the great Blake Edwards. Also starring Julie Andrews as George's confused girlfriend Samantha, back home in Malibu.

So much better than the simple premise

Author: Poppybiscuit from Australia
9 March 2013

If you never watch this film because the basic old man chases younger girl theme is too banal, you are missing a treat. This is a classic film, and so much richer than the simple premise. The cornerstone of the movie is the piano scene, outside under the palms by the beach. Dudley Moore, an exceptional pianist, plays "It's Easy". He plays for amusement, for himself, he plays with anger, for the frustration of unattainable lust, he plays to tease, to move the (delightful) holiday golddigger and he plays to bond with, perhaps just to impress, the the barman, the provider of his needs, his booze. It's hard to think how a scene could ever be played that could better depict a mid-life crisis, the theme of the film. It has been said that neither Bo Derek nor Julie Andrews were great, or suitable in their roles, but I don't think that matters. With such a strong performance as Dudley Moore gives, supporting roles can only ever be that. The scenes around his arrival at the resort are very funny. Don't just think of this as the film where a middle aged man sees a bikini clad girl running in slow-mo across a beach. That's the punchline - its a lot better than that.

A good example of how to tackle a mid-life crisis

Author: F1-Phil from United Kingdom
18 October 2006

Having first seen 10 in my late teens and since watched it as a 40 year old going through a mid-life crisis I have to say that it is entirely representative (given its setting) and thoroughly entertaining to boot.

As a teenager in the new millennium you'd probably be a little disappointed in this film given that the film industry and its ratings have moved on over the 27 years since it was made. At the time it was the ultimate date movie for anyone under 30. These days it is pretty tame. Dud is dead (rest in peace), and Julie Andrews has more wrinkles than a king-sized duvet pushed to the bottom of the bed.

That said, it still has a lot to say about the rites of passage for those willing to listen, and Ravel's Bolero is still incredibly sensual. The rule of thumb? Every man is an alpha male to somebody, even at 40. The trick from the man's point of view is to know when you are the alpha male. And when you know you are, to make the most of it. And this film, in its own way, demonstrates this perfectly.

If you get laid off the back of this film review, please send $10 via PayPal to phil@haigh-family.com ;-)

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]