10 (1979) Poster

(1979)

67 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
My Favorite Dudley Moore Performance
Isaac58552 December 2005
Though he will probably always be remembered for 1981's ARTHUR, my favorite Dudley Moore performance is still from the 1979 Blake Edwards classic "10". Moore plays George Webber, a man who seemingly has it all: a flourishing career as a songwriter, money, a gorgeous home, an equally gorgeous girlfriend (Julie Andrews), but still feels like something is missing in his life. Then one day, while stopped at a traffic signal, he glances at a girl (Bo Derek)in a limo, on her way to her wedding. George becomes obsessed with this vision, this perfect "10" and forsakes everything in his life, including Andrews, to find and be with this woman. After getting six fillings drilled by the girl's dentist/father (James Noble), in an attempt to learn where the girl went on her honeymoon, George flies to Mexico to find his "10" and eventually learns the lessons you would expect from such a venture. In addition to some great physical comedy offered by Moore, there are moments of great warmth here too. The scenes at the outdoor bar in Mexico where Dudley encounters a lonely woman (Dee Wallace) and plays the piano are lovely. Brian Dennehy is effectiveLY cast against type as the bartender. Also cast against type is Robert Webber as George's gay songwriting partner who tries in vain to make George see what an idiot he is and appreciate the things he has. This IS not just a smarmy sex comedy, but a warm character study of a man chasing something he really doesn't want or need and features one of Dudley Moore's most charming performances.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dudley Moore is a natural comedic genius!
jacquelineleigh111 July 2006
In this film, Dudley plays an award-winning composer.

Another brilliant film that'll make you laugh your head off while watching him run around like a maniac in hot sand!

My mother recommended this film to me because I was born after it was released.

Even in today's society, this movie is hilarious! Dudley Moore is a brilliant comedian.

You'll have to add this movie to your "must list" if you're a Dudley Moore fan. Whenever I am in a depressed mood I know I can pop this movie in and Dudley is going to be able to make me laugh once again.

Get this movie if you want a care-free day of fun and light-hearted amusement.

Not as good as Arthur but if you're a Dudley fan like me, you'll love it!

Also, you'll hear some beautiful arrangements played by Dudley Moore himself.

A classic movie that you should not miss.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Director Blake Edwards tastefully blends eroticism with comedy…
Nazi_Fighter_David5 July 2005
"10" begins with a surprise party for its guest of honor, George Webber, an award-winning songwriter celebrating his forty-second birthday…

The party is organized by Samantha Taylor (Julie Andrews), a thirty-eight-year-o1d feminist singer who has established a poignant, firm relationship with George… Although he's considered the most successful Hollywood songwriter around, his collaborator Hugh (Robert Webber), a homosexual, disrupts Dudley's good mood by remarking that he's noticed some peculiar changes in George's behavior…

Apparently, George has become obsessed with old age, going through what Hugh calls "male menopause" or mid-life crisis… Needless to say, George becomes somewhat morose… Webber would like to halt the progression of his age, and wants instead to return to his youthful days of seducing young women and never having to worry about his future... George decides that he must find some answers, and possibly a few adventures, to cure himself of this dilemma…

During an afternoon drive, he stops alongside a limousine carrying a gorgeous woman, gowned and heading towards her wedding… George becomes instantly entranced, feeling that he's discovered the antidote to what ails him; the perfect woman of the world, an 11 on a scale of 10. (She's so good, he feels, that she rates higher than the scale will permit.) His heart quivering, George sets off in hot, hilarious pursuit of the beautiful bride, Jenny (Bo Derek).

Dudley Moore enjoyed the extent of his talent in a role that seemed so suited to him… He displayed a human, sophisticated side that had been missing in previous films… George Webber had turned out to be a character almost identical to his own, appearing exquisitely suave, humble, mischievous, and often childlike… And Dudley's musical prowess was again realized during the segments in which he played his beloved piano…

Julie Andrews broke out her goody image to give a strong performance as Samantha…

Bo Derek looked very sweet, charming, and uncomplicated… Bo became a worldwide sensation and one of the hottest female properties to come out of Hollywood in a long time…

Director Blake Edwards carefully supervised a tender subject matter in a way that did more to entertain than offend… His statement that beauty is more than skin deep was heard loud and clear…
35 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Very Melancholy Comedy
hokeybutt23 January 2005
"10" (4 outta 5 stars) Kind of weird seeing this movie again after 20 years. When I first saw it I was just a kid in my early 20s and now I am older than the character Dudley Moore plays in this movie... a cranky, disillusioned composer going through a mid-life crisis. Dang, I never had one of those at 40... does this mean I'm overdue? Anyway, flawed as this movie is, it is still a classic. It's generally considered a "comedy" but the most effective scenes are the quieter, more melancholy scenes. (The scene where Moore plays the piano in the bar for Dee Wallace gets me every time.) This is probably the best role of Moore's career... he's able to come across as sympathetic even while acting like a jerk for most of the movie. It's the supporting performances by Julie Andrews, Dee Wallace, Robert Webber and Brian Dennehy that really give the movie its depth. Thankfully, Bo Derek doesn't really have to do any acting, so she doesn't throw the movie too much out of whack. The movie seems a lot sadder to me these days... though I thought it was hysterically funny 25 years ago.
26 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thoughts About '10' - Then And Now
ccthemovieman-14 June 2007
Boy, this was "hot stuff" back when it came out in 1979: I am referring to both the movie AND Bo Derek!

Actually, Dudley Moore was a box-office star, too. Nobody had heard of Derek before this, but this film certainly made her an overnight sensation. She didn't have to say anything in the film, just walk down a beach. Certainly, the number "10" now had a new meaning in the culture.

Basically, the film is about a guy who spots Derek, and then totally makes a fool of himself over her. Most guys would have done the same thing. Moore, making an idiot of himself as "George Webber," provided a lot of laughs and Bo had to just....well....just let herself be photographed. Fortunately, in real life, she turned out to be far more than just some hot- looking bimbo. I've heard her on several talk shows in recent years, and she's no dummy.....and still looks tremendous. Meanwhile, Moore, who had some tough physical ailments, really didn't have a noteworthy career after this film with one exception: Arthur (1981). The poor man died in 2002.

One forgets that a huge big-name actress co-starred with Moore in this movie: Julie Andrews. Perhaps a good part of that reason we forget that is she doesn't play a memorable character. It fact, she's downright unappealing as Moore's girlfriend "Samantha Taylor."

It's also easy to forget about some of the cultural issues songwriter "Webber" dealt with, bemoaning the shallowness of the current generation and its music tastes, and finally realizing his own shallowness won't lead to happiness just by being with a woman half his age. There are some profound things to ponder in this film even though it often concentrates on the slapstick humor angle. As a guy who has gone through the usual "mid- life" crisis, I would to sympathize with Webber's dilemmas but since this idiot is drunk half the time and an extremely self-indulgent person, I found it hard to "root" for him. Drunks have never been funny to me. So, when I watched this film on VHS 15 years later, it wasn't as fun as the fist time.

Speaking of drinks, Brian Dennehy was excellent as a bartender. I wish he had played more "nice guy" roles like this during his career, instead of so many evil and profane villains.

Along with millions of others, I enjoyed the movie 30 years ago, but now it's kind of sad, too slow and even painful to watch at times. For those of us who saw in the theater, the film now appears somewhat dated, but so are all of us, I guess, are dated, too.
31 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
10 out of how many stars?
Lee Eisenberg22 April 2006
"10" isn't really the sort of movie that I feel that I can just straightforward review, as it has its ups and downs. The plot of course has composer George Webber (Dudley Moore) going through his midlife crisis all obsessed with the hot young women, thereby messing up his relationship with girlfriend Samantha (Julie Andrews). I guess that if the movie has any problem, it's the casting of Moore. From everything that I've ever heard, it sounds like he was kind of worthless and undesirable to be around. Granted, in this movie he does a passable job as George, although it's hard to tell whether the movie is romanticizing or ripping at the LA lifestyle.

As for the movie's famous scene - Bo Derek in her swimsuit - I don't know what else to say. She later spoofed that scene in "Tommy Boy", but I don't know what else she's done recently except appear at the Republican National Conventions. And who on the set of "Mary Poppins" would have ever guessed that Julie Andrews would eventually star in this? Among the really funny scenes in my opinion are the wedding (and the events leading thereto), and what happens when George identifies himself as a Brit. In a way, Dudley Moore was expanding on his character from "Foul Play". Still, I think that we're probably doing Blake Edwards a favor if we remember him more for the "Pink Panther" movies. Also starring Dee Wallace (yep, ET's mom!), Brian Dennehy, and that guy at the end was character actor Don Calfa; you're sure to have seen him somewhere.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
funny, cool, and a total 10
lucas_dunaway30 September 2002
I'll never forget seeing Bo Derek for the first time in this movie. I was shocked (hated the hair, but it made the character) This is a great movie about a man who is having a mid-life crisis. Dudley Moore, has just turned 42, and is single (dating Julie Andrews.) While driving around in his Rolls, he sees Bo Derek in a Mercedes on her way to her wedding. Hes totally wild over her, and she becomes a sort of obsession. So he finds out where they are honeymooning, and goes there. The movie is great, its funny, and keeps you laughing. This was also Bo's break-through. Shes a total 10, and even though she speaks very little, her character is a HUGE part of the film. Its great, everyone should see this film.
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good movie, but nothing great.
LebowskiT100029 July 2002
There have been countless references to this film in so many films that I've seen, so I thought it was in my best interest to see this film. I wouldn't say that this film was anything terribly great, but it's ok.

The story is basically about a guy who goes through a mid-life crisis and has to decide what is important in his life. The story is nothing terribly complicated and has some really good comedy along the way. Although I have to say that the story is paced rather slowly and I kept looking at the time as I watched the film, but it picks up pretty well at the end of the film.

Everyone in the cast does a great job. Dudley Moore does a fine job, as does Julie Andrews, Brian Dennehy, Dee Wallace and Bo Derek. I've got to say that they chose the perfect person to play Jenny Miles, because Bo Derek is most definitely a perfect "10"!

I thought "10" was a good movie, nothing special. I would recommend watching the movie, mainly because so many other films have references to it, but there's no need to run out and see it as soon as possible. I hope you enjoy the film. Thanks for reading.

-Chris
23 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fabulous film
JerryWeaver3 March 2002
There is an old saying, "Be careful of what you ask for, you might get it". But men will be men, and when Dudley Moore sees the beautiful Bo Derek, he is compelled to follow her to Mexico. I suspect most of us men have had the same impulse, though I doubt very many of us have taken it to the extreme that Dudley Moore does here.

I could have done without the slapstick, and I didn't care for Julie Andrews as Moore's girlfriend. One wonders why he would stay with such an unappealing woman, regardless of what happens with his pursuit of Bo Derek.

But those annoyances aside, this is a wonderful film, full of good performances. Brian Dennehy is great as the bartender; the scene in which Dudley Moore sits down and starts ordering doubles is wonderful. Dennehy plays the bartender to perfection, not volunteering too much information, but being accessible to the customer as needed, just like a good bartender is supposed to do. And then after some rapport has been established, he does volunteer a nice compliment to Moore which the viewer is glad to hear.

Moore, after all, is a lovable character, just like he was in Arthur", and we root for him and want him to find whatever it is that will make him happy. And his anguish is not limited to his urge to connect up with a beautiful young woman. He is also anguished by the kind of music kids nowadays are listening to. He realizes he is not at home in a culture in which a young couple can say that "our song" is "Why Don't We Do It in the Road". Having reached this understanding, he can then understand also how he could never be happy with a woman half his age.
22 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
10 Out Of 10
Dock-Ock21 June 2001
10 is everything i imagined it was going to be when i sat down to watch it. I have always loved Dudley Moore since childhood, particularly in the Arthur films, and this for me defines the best Dudley Moore characteristics-prat falls, drunkedness, sexual fantasies about younger women, Piano playing. I have also always been a big fan of Blake Edwards for the way he uses Laurel and Hardy movies as inspiration with slap stick [seen mainly in The Pink Panther movies with Peter Sellers] this time around we see a more sophisticated style to Edwards direction. Also with two beautiful women in the shape of Julie Andrews and Bo Derek, i was hopeful that the movie would come over as being very sexy. I was not disappointed.

As well as representing all of the above things, the movie was extremely enjoyable. It is the epitomy of male fantasies. Ask yourself how many times you have fantasised about escaping to a desert island with a beautifull woman. In 10 Dud does just that. The movie comes over as being very exotic, and this blends with the hilarious performances, all the nudity and Henry Mancini's fantastic musical score. The movie is very funny and involving, one really identifies with Moore's performance as George Webber. Julie Andrews is great fun as Georges Love interest, and Bo Derek is fantastic as the girl of Dud's dreams-the perfect 10. And Blake deserves special credit for one of his most outstanding directorial works.

A Winner. One that will stand the test of time.
26 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
10 - Bo Derek and Dudley Moore
powerje7521 September 2005
I really enjoyed this film - the whole dream thing for Dudley followed by him actually managing to pull this lovely young thing... it's the stuff of dreams! It also shows that you should never give up on your dreams, but also that dreams are often better than reality (hence he ended up not going through with it) - it's a quality film that deserves more showings on TV than it gets! Of course the gratuitous nudity helped pass along the more boring moments.. and which red-blooded male wouldn't do as Dudley does? Telescopes are definitely NOT useless during the day despite what Patrick Moore might say! So, for sheer eye candy, coupled with getting an ugly man an attractive girl, this film is great to watch - plus it has many comic moments too of course! Marvellous!
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A defining moment in a young man's life...
All right, so this isn't a great movie. It just happened to come along at the right moment in my life to have an impact. As a young man not yet turned 20, I could certainly identify with both Dudley Moore wanting to recapture youth through a fling with Bo Derek, and Bo Derek just wanting to have fun (and show her appreciation for Dudley's saving her boyfriend's life.) Add to that the fact that I was working at a record shop and remember selling about 9832 copies of Ravel's Bolero, and it boils down to this; "10" brings back a host of good memories for me. - mps
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A PLEASANTLY INSIGHTFUL AND FUNNY MOVIE
grocgroc9 August 2002
I had heard the talk generated from my parents at the time this film was current, which planted the seed. I actually saw it about two years after its release and have probably seen it 100 times to date. Now I am at an age where, although happily married, I can relate to it on the same level my parents must have in 1979. (I'm now about the age they were.)

10 deals with the subject of facing up to "middle age." Dudley Moore as songwriter George Webber has just turned 42. He's at that state where he is bored with his hum-drum, though financially rewarding, life. Most of his consternation seems directed at the fact that he feels at that awkward stage where he would like to be a "swinging stud" with the 20 something female set, but most of them view him as they would a father. He becomes enchanted upon catching a glimpse of Bo Derek in a passing limo and goes so far (SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT!!!) as to track her down in Mexico with the hope of seducing her. (Even though she was recently married as he watched previously in the film.) However, this is NOT a stalker film. Rather, it is a goodnatured and lighthearted look at a middle aged "crush." Dudley Moore does a great job here at physical comedy. He is seen constantly drunk or on painpills from his dentist, moody, clutzy, and displaying all the traits that would make his later role as ARTHUR a smash.

There is so much great dialogue in this movie. Some of the best lines go to Robert Webber as his musical collaborator, Hugh. Hugh is an openly (but NOT a "swishy stereotype") gay middle aged man who has some great insight on what is going on in George's head. His explanation of "male menopause" to Julie Andrews as "Sam" is true to life. Julie Andrews is not given a lot to do in this film, and that is unfortunate. She sings a few token songs and trades barbs with Dudley Moore as his girlfriend, but seems really to have been placed in the movie for "name" value. In any event, her role seems to be more of an elongated cameo as she is not really at the center of the action. In the Mexican resort bar, you will note an early role by Brian Dennehy as the bartender who gradually develops a rapport which Dudley Moore's drunken "George." There are some other quick appearances from faces that you will recognize. Among them are the stage and screen veteran Max Showalter as a minister who tells George that "he is also a songwriter" and you'll laugh as George struggles to keep his composure while suffering through the most cliche-filled "hack" lovesong that he then performs. ("Gleeclubs of Moonbeams....sing your name in the blue") The look on Dudley Moore's face is priceless!!!

All in all, this is a sweet and very funny, if sometimes overly slapstick, look at middle-aged men who suddenly want to be a 21 year-old "chick magnet" again, but still face all of the age gaps; different tastes in music, hang-ups about sex, performance anxiety, etc. It's all here and tastefully done. Bo Derek looks great but obviously will never be viewed as a serious actress, yet her scenes with Dudley Moore are adequate for her small role in the film. If you want a simple, fun and funny film that is nothing more than it appears to be, watch this one at least once. I won't give it a perfect 10, but it ranks at least a strong 8.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A humorous venture of fulfilling a fantasy
victor775430 October 2004
Lessons are learned in the morals of love and companionship when lust and fear of death enter the picture. 42, the year of most midlife crisis' for womanizing successful men. George Weber, played very funny by Dudley Moore is seeking a return to youth by pursuing a fantasy woman. What do many men in their midlife want? To feel attractive and desired by beautiful young girls.

The predicaments George Weber gets himself in during his pursuit are hilarious. When he continuously slips down the hill outside his LA hills home with a swollen dental issue it's difficult not to bust. The film touches on the Free Wheeling Hedonist ways of many Californians and finds solace in a more structure relationship. Bo Derek says: " I don't know what your problem is but I don't think you are going to solve it by trying to solve mine and I don't think I have problem" To which Dudley Moore replies: "That's your problem." It's a pivotal moment of recognizing reality verses fantasy.

The film recognizes that Men are weak and give into lust one too many times.

It is a growing experience. Men are afraid to grow up. When does the fun stop.

10 is funny, witty, and sexy. Bo Derek is captivating and casting her in the title role was perfect. When Bo Derek, on her way to her wedding, turns her head to look at Dudley Moore, a tremendous feeling overcomes the senses. She is extraordinary! Then, when we see Bo Derek enter a Hotel Cabana Bar sporting those beaded braids and wearing that white dress...the effect is powerful as she projects the image of a perfect 10. Then, to a Mexico Beach where her presence is very rewarding. When she opens her eyes in that close up it is a tribute to beauty and desire. Dudley Moore is obsessed. Julie Andrews is sexy on the other end of the pole. The gay undertones are well touched upon. Surprisingly fun.....It is a surprise they have not made 10, The Man...just add the male symbol to the 0.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Comic tale of mid-life crisis and seeking the unattainable.
Steve-21929 December 1998
A passing glimpse of a beautiful woman (Bo Derek) on her way to the wedding alter sets in train a series of comic adventures as the protagonist (Dudley More) attempts to seek the unattainable. His quest becomes ultimately hollow when the beautiful woman takes him to bed for no more than a brief recreational romp.

In essence, a comic tale of mid-life crisis set in the wealthy world of Hollywood theatrical types memorable for the use of Ravel's 'Bolero'.

Julie Andrews gives a fine supporting performance as the hapless 'girl friend' of Dudley More. One of Blake Edwards' funniest films, I gave '10' a seven out of ten rating.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In Memory of Dudley Moore
critic_at_large21 August 2002
Dudley Moore, we will miss you. This film was Moore's signature role - he made it funny, he made it poignant. Blake Edwards' script was funny and sweet, but Dudley brought it to life. A little dated now, but a great trip back to 1979 and still relevant today. If you haven't seen this film at least once, do yourself a favor - skip the latest Adam Sandler vehicle and find this one on the shelf. Adam is no Dudley Moore.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good show!
arturopanduro21 November 2001
Dudley Moore stars as George Webber, a man who sees the girl of his dreams (sexy Bo Derek as Jenny) outside the church she is about to be married in. He follows her on her honeymoon to Mexico, where he heroically rescues her new husband from death and is rewarded with a lot of attention from her. Well-written, well-acted, and beautifully photographed (mostly in Mexico), this is a timeless comedy from the great Blake Edwards. Also starring Julie Andrews as George's confused girlfriend Samantha, back home in Malibu.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So much better than the simple premise
Poppybiscuit9 March 2013
If you never watch this film because the basic old man chases younger girl theme is too banal, you are missing a treat. This is a classic film, and so much richer than the simple premise. The cornerstone of the movie is the piano scene, outside under the palms by the beach. Dudley Moore, an exceptional pianist, plays "It's Easy". He plays for amusement, for himself, he plays with anger, for the frustration of unattainable lust, he plays to tease, to move the (delightful) holiday golddigger and he plays to bond with, perhaps just to impress, the the barman, the provider of his needs, his booze. It's hard to think how a scene could ever be played that could better depict a mid-life crisis, the theme of the film. It has been said that neither Bo Derek nor Julie Andrews were great, or suitable in their roles, but I don't think that matters. With such a strong performance as Dudley Moore gives, supporting roles can only ever be that. The scenes around his arrival at the resort are very funny. Don't just think of this as the film where a middle aged man sees a bikini clad girl running in slow-mo across a beach. That's the punchline - its a lot better than that.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Long, mildly amusing, and self indulgent.
Blueghost4 May 2004
There's not much to add to the other mediocre reviews of this film. "10" has small moments of humor that could be classified as comedy, but there's such a long and slow buildup to the funny parts, which themselves aren't all that funny, that it's hardly worth the effort.

If you're an exceptionally successful middle aged composer, who's married to a top Broadway singing actress, then you'll connect to this film. If your lifestyle includes watching the neighbors' orgies through a telescope from your hillside home, driving home from the dentist drunk and high in your late model Mercedes, then there might be something here for you.

Otherwise forget it. The parable's an obvious one that neither tells nor shows anything that most well rounded people don't already know. Ultimately it was an experiment that, on its own terms, is an absolute bomb, and adds nothing to the mid-life crisis theme. In short the characters are dumber than dirt, and the producers pulled a fast one on the movie going public.

The reason this film was as successful as it was was because the adolescents and pre-adolescents could see some T&A once the thing aired on cable or satellite. For that matter over sexed older males probably found it equally palatable. However, given the availability of more explicit material on the net today, this is, by comparison, somewhat tame.

Having said all this the performances are fine, but story and direction are rather lacking, and slow. Presumably this was done to make the speed of the film more appealing to an older generation. Yet, at the same time, there's a minor element of crude humor which seems patently out of place, the sex, and quirky-odd and unfunny slapstick that might raise a grin.

When all is said and done you have yourself a film that isn't worth a whole lot. Avoid if you can.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Scintillating and profound
allyjack5 July 1999
A critic once described the object lesson of "10" as being that possibilities are never lost - only the sense of them. It could be the basis for a standard male menopause wallow, but Edwards' deadpan, highly disciplined use of classic slapstick and humiliation, countered with the many ripples of elegance and sexiness and real emotion, add up to something unusually mature. I think it's second only to "SOB" among Edwards' films.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good example of how to tackle a mid-life crisis
F1-Phil18 October 2006
Having first seen 10 in my late teens and since watched it as a 40 year old going through a mid-life crisis I have to say that it is entirely representative (given its setting) and thoroughly entertaining to boot.

As a teenager in the new millennium you'd probably be a little disappointed in this film given that the film industry and its ratings have moved on over the 27 years since it was made. At the time it was the ultimate date movie for anyone under 30. These days it is pretty tame. Dud is dead (rest in peace), and Julie Andrews has more wrinkles than a king-sized duvet pushed to the bottom of the bed.

That said, it still has a lot to say about the rites of passage for those willing to listen, and Ravel's Bolero is still incredibly sensual. The rule of thumb? Every man is an alpha male to somebody, even at 40. The trick from the man's point of view is to know when you are the alpha male. And when you know you are, to make the most of it. And this film, in its own way, demonstrates this perfectly.

If you get laid off the back of this film review, please send $10 via PayPal to phil@haigh-family.com ;-)
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Middle aged male sexual fantasies do not merit a 10
roghache22 March 2006
I seldom give a rating of 1 but this movie wholeheartedly earned it. Its plot (such as it is) revolves around a 40 something year old man named George, who is in some sort of sexual mid life crisis, wanting to feel young, attractive, and virile again. He finds that his beautiful and intelligent girlfriend, Samantha (Julie Andrews) is inadequate in eliciting such feelings. He thus fantasizes over a young, perfectly proportioned bride named Jenny (Bo Derek) and becomes rather pathetically obsessed.

Indeed, this entire movie is rather pathetic. Where to begin?

How about the cast? George is played by Dudley Moore, whom I loved in Arthur. Woody Allen, the master neurotic, might have been a more suitable choice. Julie Andrews is one of my favorite actresses, whether singing (Sound of Music etc.) or drama (The Tamarind Seed). It is unbelievable that she stooped to the level of this supposedly erotic drivel. I guess she was attempting at the time to dispense with her goody goody image and project mature sexiness. Also, I believe she is married to this sorry film's director, Blake Edwards. As for Bo Derek, yes, she has a perfect body and those braids became a legend. Nothing more of note here regarding her. She's simply a body in this movie.

The entire theme of this middle aged idiot's sexual fantasies would, frankly, have been better left unexplored. The concept of males rating females on a scale from 1 to 10 (Jenny gets an 11) is neither a novel one nor something to be encouraged. Of course this film made an art form out of the practice. Where was the outcry from the feminists at the time?

Pity also, the desecration of Ravel's Bolero. Perhaps Maurice Ravel, its composer, intended the work to be sexy (privately), perhaps not. I'm not that familiar with him. However, it is a magnificent composition and I can hardly believe that Ravel ever meant it as cinematic accompaniment to George and Jenny's bedding. Poor Ravel. I suspect he might be spinning in his grave.

That about does it. I've already wasted far too much time just watching this movie, best not to waste any more writing about it. Suffice it to say, I can think of few films less deserving of their fame.
11 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's a shame "10" isnt a 10 out of 10
CharltonBoy14 March 2002
I remember when this film was first shown on TV about 17 years ago and the kids at my school saying how good this was and in graphic detail how the sex scenes panned out. I was never allowed to watch this and it is not until now that i have got the chance to see it and my over riding thought is,Boy do kids exagerate!. This film is decribed in the listings as a sex comedy yet i found "10" lacking in both of those ingredients. While at times this has it's funny moments thanks to Dudley Moore , they are few and far between and as for the sex part well i have seen more sex in a Charlie Chaplin movie! In a way this film is quite depressing , Dudley Moore slowly drinks himself to death (a bit like real life)while moaning that he is too old, yet he manages to pull the beautifull Bo Derek after following her and her new husband all the way to Mexico. yet when gets her into bed he moans that she is cheating on her Husband and walks out! You Fool! The most depressing thing that happens is that poor old Dud ends up with his old Flame julie Andrews who to me ,is as sexy as most people's grandmother, even when she was 18. Over all "10" has it moments but it is far too long and far too depressing. 5 out of 10
11 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this