IMDb > 10 (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

10 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Director Blake Edwards tastefully blends eroticism with comedy…

Author: Righty-Sock (robertfrangie@hotmail.com) from Mexico
5 July 2005

"10" begins with a surprise party for its guest of honor, George Webber, an award-winning songwriter celebrating his forty-second birthday…

The party is organized by Samantha Taylor (Julie Andrews), a thirty-eight-year-o1d feminist singer who has established a poignant, firm relationship with George… Although he's considered the most successful Hollywood songwriter around, his collaborator Hugh (Robert Webber), a homosexual, disrupts Dudley's good mood by remarking that he's noticed some peculiar changes in George's behavior…

Apparently, George has become obsessed with old age, going through what Hugh calls "male menopause" or mid-life crisis… Needless to say, George becomes somewhat morose… Webber would like to halt the progression of his age, and wants instead to return to his youthful days of seducing young women and never having to worry about his future... George decides that he must find some answers, and possibly a few adventures, to cure himself of this dilemma…

During an afternoon drive, he stops alongside a limousine carrying a gorgeous woman, gowned and heading towards her wedding… George becomes instantly entranced, feeling that he's discovered the antidote to what ails him; the perfect woman of the world, an 11 on a scale of 10. (She's so good, he feels, that she rates higher than the scale will permit.) His heart quivering, George sets off in hot, hilarious pursuit of the beautiful bride, Jenny (Bo Derek).

Dudley Moore enjoyed the extent of his talent in a role that seemed so suited to him… He displayed a human, sophisticated side that had been missing in previous films… George Webber had turned out to be a character almost identical to his own, appearing exquisitely suave, humble, mischievous, and often childlike… And Dudley's musical prowess was again realized during the segments in which he played his beloved piano…

Julie Andrews broke out her goody image to give a strong performance as Samantha…

Bo Derek looked very sweet, charming, and uncomplicated… Bo became a worldwide sensation and one of the hottest female properties to come out of Hollywood in a long time…

Director Blake Edwards carefully supervised a tender subject matter in a way that did more to entertain than offend… His statement that beauty is more than skin deep was heard loud and clear…

A Very Melancholy Comedy

Author: hokeybutt from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
23 January 2005

"10" (4 outta 5 stars) Kind of weird seeing this movie again after 20 years. When I first saw it I was just a kid in my early 20s and now I am older than the character Dudley Moore plays in this movie... a cranky, disillusioned composer going through a mid-life crisis. Dang, I never had one of those at 40... does this mean I'm overdue? Anyway, flawed as this movie is, it is still a classic. It's generally considered a "comedy" but the most effective scenes are the quieter, more melancholy scenes. (The scene where Moore plays the piano in the bar for Dee Wallace gets me every time.) This is probably the best role of Moore's career... he's able to come across as sympathetic even while acting like a jerk for most of the movie. It's the supporting performances by Julie Andrews, Dee Wallace, Robert Webber and Brian Dennehy that really give the movie its depth. Thankfully, Bo Derek doesn't really have to do any acting, so she doesn't throw the movie too much out of whack. The movie seems a lot sadder to me these days... though I thought it was hysterically funny 25 years ago.

My Favorite Dudley Moore Performance

Author: Isaac5855 from United States
2 December 2005

Though he will probably always be remembered for 1981's ARTHUR, my favorite Dudley Moore performance is still from the 1979 Blake Edwards classic "10". Moore plays George Webber, a man who seemingly has it all: a flourishing career as a songwriter, money, a gorgeous home, an equally gorgeous girlfriend (Julie Andrews), but still feels like something is missing in his life. Then one day, while stopped at a traffic signal, he glances at a girl (Bo Derek)in a limo, on her way to her wedding. George becomes obsessed with this vision, this perfect "10" and forsakes everything in his life, including Andrews, to find and be with this woman. After getting six fillings drilled by the girl's dentist/father (James Noble), in an attempt to learn where the girl went on her honeymoon, George flies to Mexico to find his "10" and eventually learns the lessons you would expect from such a venture. In addition to some great physical comedy offered by Moore, there are moments of great warmth here too. The scenes at the outdoor bar in Mexico where Dudley encounters a lonely woman (Dee Wallace) and plays the piano are lovely. Brian Dennehy is effectiveLY cast against type as the bartender. Also cast against type is Robert Webber as George's gay songwriting partner who tries in vain to make George see what an idiot he is and appreciate the things he has. This IS not just a smarmy sex comedy, but a warm character study of a man chasing something he really doesn't want or need and features one of Dudley Moore's most charming performances.

Thoughts About '10' - Then And Now

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
4 June 2007

Boy, this was "hot stuff" back when it came out in 1979: I am referring to both the movie AND Bo Derek!

Actually, Dudley Moore was a box-office star, too. Nobody had heard of Derek before this, but this film certainly made her an overnight sensation. She didn't have to say anything in the film, just walk down a beach. Certainly, the number "10" now had a new meaning in the culture.

Basically, the film is about a guy who spots Derek, and then totally makes a fool of himself over her. Most guys would have done the same thing. Moore, making an idiot of himself as "George Webber," provided a lot of laughs and Bo had to just....well....just let herself be photographed. Fortunately, in real life, she turned out to be far more than just some hot- looking bimbo. I've heard her on several talk shows in recent years, and she's no dummy.....and still looks tremendous. Meanwhile, Moore, who had some tough physical ailments, really didn't have a noteworthy career after this film with one exception: Arthur (1981). The poor man died in 2002.

One forgets that a huge big-name actress co-starred with Moore in this movie: Julie Andrews. Perhaps a good part of that reason we forget that is she doesn't play a memorable character. It fact, she's downright unappealing as Moore's girlfriend "Samantha Taylor."

It's also easy to forget about some of the cultural issues songwriter "Webber" dealt with, bemoaning the shallowness of the current generation and its music tastes, and finally realizing his own shallowness won't lead to happiness just by being with a woman half his age. There are some profound things to ponder in this film even though it often concentrates on the slapstick humor angle. As a guy who has gone through the usual "mid- life" crisis, I would to sympathize with Webber's dilemmas but since this idiot is drunk half the time and an extremely self-indulgent person, I found it hard to "root" for him. Drunks have never been funny to me. So, when I watched this film on VHS 15 years later, it wasn't as fun as the fist time.

Speaking of drinks, Brian Dennehy was excellent as a bartender. I wish he had played more "nice guy" roles like this during his career, instead of so many evil and profane villains.

Along with millions of others, I enjoyed the movie 30 years ago, but now it's kind of sad, too slow and even painful to watch at times. For those of us who saw in the theater, the film now appears somewhat dated, but so are all of us, I guess, are dated, too.

Dudley Moore is a natural comedic genius!

Author: jacquelineleigh1 from United States
11 July 2006

In this film, Dudley plays an award-winning composer.

Another brilliant film that'll make you laugh your head off while watching him run around like a maniac in hot sand!

My mother recommended this film to me because I was born after it was released.

Even in today's society, this movie is hilarious! Dudley Moore is a brilliant comedian.

You'll have to add this movie to your "must list" if you're a Dudley Moore fan. Whenever I am in a depressed mood I know I can pop this movie in and Dudley is going to be able to make me laugh once again.

Get this movie if you want a care-free day of fun and light-hearted amusement.

Not as good as Arthur but if you're a Dudley fan like me, you'll love it!

Also, you'll hear some beautiful arrangements played by Dudley Moore himself.

A classic movie that you should not miss.

Good movie, but nothing great.

Author: LebowskiT1000 from Escondido, California, USA
29 July 2002

There have been countless references to this film in so many films that I've seen, so I thought it was in my best interest to see this film. I wouldn't say that this film was anything terribly great, but it's ok.

The story is basically about a guy who goes through a mid-life crisis and has to decide what is important in his life. The story is nothing terribly complicated and has some really good comedy along the way. Although I have to say that the story is paced rather slowly and I kept looking at the time as I watched the film, but it picks up pretty well at the end of the film.

Everyone in the cast does a great job. Dudley Moore does a fine job, as does Julie Andrews, Brian Dennehy, Dee Wallace and Bo Derek. I've got to say that they chose the perfect person to play Jenny Miles, because Bo Derek is most definitely a perfect "10"!

I thought "10" was a good movie, nothing special. I would recommend watching the movie, mainly because so many other films have references to it, but there's no need to run out and see it as soon as possible. I hope you enjoy the film. Thanks for reading.

-Chris

As Night Falls Reach For The Light

Author: ArchAngel Michael from United States
9 July 2015

Spoilers Ahead:

Want to see the movie in one short scene? Capture in your mind the film's deep melancholy behind the humor? George playing the piano in the hotel bar; listen to the sorrow pour forth in the song. Moore was a concert pianist; that is really him playing. Watch as Dennehy and Wallace listen and all the pain of becoming an old man and facing death comes pouring out upon the keys. Disillusionment, loss, sadness and pain all are in the music. You see the look of empathy on both their faces. That is the movie, my friends. Getting old, one last dream before nightfall. Yet, when he gets her, through Edward's legerdemain that is as contrived as his awful Pink Panther movies, he finds her brainless, amoral and cruel. The beautiful body and face of a living goddess comes with the brain and heart of a four year old little narcissistic girl. I agree with some of the criticism, Edwards was renowned for his slapstick, three stooges humor. This film has the greatest existential depth of any of his works. Webber, as a aging gay man, is going through the same thing George is; there is a parallel between the two stories. If you do not mind silly, contrived humor it will make you laugh but that is not why I love it so. It addresses getting old, letting go of youth and preparing for death.

When he discovers what she is, this fantasy that had more to do with his fear of approaching old age and impotence, it speaks to every man in the audience. It really is a man's movie; and I concur with the above it is one of the saddest movies you will ever watch. Truth can be sad but that is no reason to run from it. He returns to Sam and real love; she may not be a supermodel but she loves him. As men, we are so bound visually to our sex drive. And, forgive me, the delineation is quite accurate. The stunning beautiful people of both sexes come with empty heads and often no morals of any kind. The ending is redemptive; he has seen the light. Love is all that matters as night approaches; as men, we must battle our vision which is wired into our glands. George does learn quite painfully; Derek is stunning to look at but a dreadful actress. Please, this was her only passable performance.

The scene with the piano speaks to what it is like to be a middle aged man facing death all possibilities are now all dead. The dying of the light; no, I never agreed with that silly poem. Make peace with what must be. The light is always there we have but to reach for it. George returns to the light of his life: Sam may have flaws, like everyone does, but she is a mature woman who loves him. Blake Edward's best movie by a mile. Even with its flaws, it shows to all what it is like to turn away and face impending old age and death.

"Behold, Life Itself Spoke To Me: I Am That Which Must Overcome Itself." Nietzsche From Zarathustra

Fabulous film

Author: Jerry Weaver (chessart@onemain.com) from Wichita, Kansas, USA
3 March 2002

There is an old saying, "Be careful of what you ask for, you might get it". But men will be men, and when Dudley Moore sees the beautiful Bo Derek, he is compelled to follow her to Mexico. I suspect most of us men have had the same impulse, though I doubt very many of us have taken it to the extreme that Dudley Moore does here.

I could have done without the slapstick, and I didn't care for Julie Andrews as Moore's girlfriend. One wonders why he would stay with such an unappealing woman, regardless of what happens with his pursuit of Bo Derek.

But those annoyances aside, this is a wonderful film, full of good performances. Brian Dennehy is great as the bartender; the scene in which Dudley Moore sits down and starts ordering doubles is wonderful. Dennehy plays the bartender to perfection, not volunteering too much information, but being accessible to the customer as needed, just like a good bartender is supposed to do. And then after some rapport has been established, he does volunteer a nice compliment to Moore which the viewer is glad to hear.

Moore, after all, is a lovable character, just like he was in Arthur", and we root for him and want him to find whatever it is that will make him happy. And his anguish is not limited to his urge to connect up with a beautiful young woman. He is also anguished by the kind of music kids nowadays are listening to. He realizes he is not at home in a culture in which a young couple can say that "our song" is "Why Don't We Do It in the Road". Having reached this understanding, he can then understand also how he could never be happy with a woman half his age.

funny, cool, and a total 10

Author: lucas_dunaway (lucas_dunaway@yahoo.com)
30 September 2002

I'll never forget seeing Bo Derek for the first time in this movie. I was shocked (hated the hair, but it made the character) This is a great movie about a man who is having a mid-life crisis. Dudley Moore, has just turned 42, and is single (dating Julie Andrews.) While driving around in his Rolls, he sees Bo Derek in a Mercedes on her way to her wedding. Hes totally wild over her, and she becomes a sort of obsession. So he finds out where they are honeymooning, and goes there. The movie is great, its funny, and keeps you laughing. This was also Bo's break-through. Shes a total 10, and even though she speaks very little, her character is a HUGE part of the film. Its great, everyone should see this film.

10 Out Of 10

Author: Tom Bixby (marchofthewoodensoldiers_2001@hotmail.com) from Lost in the Bahamas
21 June 2001

10 is everything i imagined it was going to be when i sat down to watch it. I have always loved Dudley Moore since childhood, particularly in the Arthur films, and this for me defines the best Dudley Moore characteristics-prat falls, drunkedness, sexual fantasies about younger women, Piano playing. I have also always been a big fan of Blake Edwards for the way he uses Laurel and Hardy movies as inspiration with slap stick [seen mainly in The Pink Panther movies with Peter Sellers] this time around we see a more sophisticated style to Edwards direction. Also with two beautiful women in the shape of Julie Andrews and Bo Derek, i was hopeful that the movie would come over as being very sexy. I was not disappointed.

As well as representing all of the above things, the movie was extremely enjoyable. It is the epitomy of male fantasies. Ask yourself how many times you have fantasised about escaping to a desert island with a beautifull woman. In 10 Dud does just that. The movie comes over as being very exotic, and this blends with the hilarious performances, all the nudity and Henry Mancini's fantastic musical score. The movie is very funny and involving, one really identifies with Moore's performance as George Webber. Julie Andrews is great fun as Georges Love interest, and Bo Derek is fantastic as the girl of Dud's dreams-the perfect 10. And Blake deserves special credit for one of his most outstanding directorial works.

A Winner. One that will stand the test of time.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]