IMDb > "Salvage 1" (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Salvage 1"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Salvage 1" More at IMDbPro »

intersting pilot to a short lived series.

Author: Longbowsman
14 April 2001

SALVAGE 1 was about a salvage crew that builds a space craft to return to the moon to recover equipment left behind for the APOLLO missions. A fun fantsy show, this group would be hired to capture ice bergs for water purification plants, find sunken vesels etc. The pilot revovles around the lunar excursion aboard a civilian made space craft and government typoes who don't like the idea. Naturally the craft is made from SALVAGED materials promoting a recycling theme. I saw this as a kid and liked it but the series died a quick death.It was a good idea possibly for a series of tv movies.

A Young Boy's Dream!

Author: cadfile from Columbus, Ohio
15 March 2003

When I saw this show as a young boy I actually worked on building my own craft to go into space. I thought the show was a great how-to and my friends and I discussed the process during every spare moment.

We even went so far as building a capsule out of 2 by 4s and aluminum foil. We thought we could just have one our parents order the rocket fuel we would need for the engines we didn't have.

Those adventures lasted much longer than the series. The movie pilot was excellent but once it got away from the gimmick it wasn't that good.

fun creative show....short lived program

Author: GURNEY RAMPART
15 May 2003

The pilot dealt with a salvage firm building a space craft to go to the moon made from junk parts. SALVAGE 1 was about a salave firm that would go anywhere, anytime to salvage something....even to the moon to get old apollo program gear. A great idea for a string of tv movies but it ran out of gas as a tv show. Still as a boy it lit the fires of my imagination the way Buster Crabbe serials did in my grandfathers.

Great pilot launches a so-so series.

Author: Mephisto-24 from Perth, Australia
26 February 2001

The movie-length pilot of "Salvage 1" concerns a salvage man, an ex-astronaut and a few friends who build a rocket out of junk and launch it to the moon to retrieve gear from one of the Apollo sites to pay off a tax debt. Despite obviously cheap special effects, it does a great job of capturing the excitement of spaceflight, and also has some wonderfully funny moments, such as Harry Broderick (Andy Griffith) phoning the FAA to lodge their flight plan. Highly recommended for space buffs. The weekly series, in which Broderick attempts other salvage operations, was watchable but never re-captured the highs of the pilot telemovie.

Wonderful show...should have ran much longer

Author: lhuffman_66 from United States
13 August 2007

This show was a wonderful show. First of all, Andy Griffith. Maybe his shows are too quaint for some...but I loved them. Andy's soft, wise and yet accessible personae is alive and well in this show. Truly he made the show.

But the premise was great too. A home made rocket ship to salvage space junk. What a great idea. The show worked too. I watched this show with my family (I was in Jr HS a the time) and it proved to be a show that we all enjoyed equally. We were, as a family, very disappointed when this show was canceled.

I imagine that it had more to do with budget or keeping main cast members in place than popularity. While the show did not pull down top rating honors...it was the show that my friends and I would always get together and talk about in school.

A great little short lived TV show

Author: Blueghost from The San Francisco Bay Area
8 December 2015

So there I am, channel surfing, feeling like much of America at the time and saying to myself "nothing's on..." and droning on about why they don't make more adventure shows, or shows about space, or shows about soldiers fighting for us, or even shows about pirates.

Then comes Salvage-1, and it's fairly entertaining, and creates a niche audience, and suddenly all is right with the world. I don't have to wait for Star Wars to hit the theatres again ... I don't have to wait for 2001 to come to KTVU ... I don't have to keep rewatching Kirk and Spock on my TV ... nor watch Battlestar Galactica with a wry expression because it's really a children's program.

I don't recall too much about the show, other than the very technically inaccurate near shootdown by USAF F-4 Phantoms of Salvage-1 (the pilots counting down to launch a sidewinder? Give me a break), but I do recall enjoying the show for what it was, and am terribly sorry that more shows that reached beyond family and law enforcement weren't made, because people liked them. Read that as usually young folks or older folks who were heavily into science and engineering, and wanted to create a better future for themselves, and mankind.

Such was Salvage-1. It also brought a very healthy recycling theme to America, which was still contending with environmental abuse by some sociopathic corporate board members who had to be reigned in through our national and state level legislature. Salvage-1 was just that; a vessel that salvaged, and brought home things that were broken so they could be remade to work again. That applies to people and animals, not just machines. What healthier message could there be for the TV viewing audience? I really liked this show, and I was sorry it got side tracked in non space-oriented stories, and that it was eventually cancelled. Oh well.

If you see it again, then give it a chance. You might like it.

Great Show

Author: Flt_2 from United States
13 August 2006

I can NOT understand why this Show was cancelled it was the greatest Show on TV at the time.

There had to be a good reason to cancel it.

I remember watching this Program when I was in Military Service in West Germany.

I did not like it when it was cut off.

There has to be some one out there that would know.

I've always liked Andy he can play any part they have.

Don knots would have been good in this show too.

I guess this one was for the Science types.

And Back then the science types were the called nerds.

Great Show