IMDb > "The Littlest Hobo" (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Littlest Hobo" More at IMDbPro »

A fab TV show and nowhere near the cheesiest thing to come from Canada!

Author: TheSlayer (firestar0021@netscapeonline.co.uk) from Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire
5 April 2001

I grew up with this TV show and I thought it was great, London the dog helping people just when they needed it and then refusing their offer of a home and moving on to help someone else, for me as a child it was a tear jerker, but London was an undeniably cute German Shepherd and whatever anyone else reckons I think it's a really cool show and I really enjoyed it.

Notable guest stars who appeared in the show include Al Waxman and DeForest Kelley who was best known for playing Dr "Bones" McCoy in Star Trek.

In Defense of London

Author: Kevin McCorry (mmccorry@nb.sympatico.ca) from Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
27 July 1999

About the only popularly negative comment on this television show that I will accept is that because it was produced on video rather than on film, it lacks crispness and depth of color. I cannot and will not agree with people's sweeping, cynical put-downs of every other aspect of this production. The storytelling may be formulaic, but there is enough flexibility in the formula for the show to vary its episodes. Some are about crime-fighting, others concern rescue of people in perilous situations, and still others deal with solving interpersonal problems, finding lost items or animals, etc.. The acting is fairly often admirable, mainly by the primary guest stars in the episodes- and there are quite a few well-known and respected actors and actresses in guest star roles. Camera work is often inventive, music is appropriate to the action, and episodes are quite quick paced. For a television show shot on video in Canada, it holds up quite well, and there is a timelessness to its concept. Finally, with a charismatic canine star, it is innocent, wholesome family entertainment. There does not seem to be much of that on television anymore.

There's a voice keeps on calling me.

Author: blackarachnia2
27 November 2005

Down the road that's where I'll always be, every stop I make, I make a new friend, I can't stay for long, just turn around, and I'm gone again.

Maybe tomorrow I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow I'll just keep moving on.

So if you want to join me for a while. Just grab your hat, come travel light, that's hobo style.

Until tomorrow the whole world is my home.

Absolutely one of my favourite shows in the world is the Littlest Hobo. I just adored London from the time I first saw him which was when I was three up until I was nine. I don't think it takes a genius to figure out that they used several dogs for London but this London was very well trained. I hope that if he has any descendants that they're chips off the old block like their dad is.

Absolutely Classic

Author: DavieG from Dublin
6 September 2000

I was fortunate enough to grow up with this show, as those good people at RTE (Ireland's national tv station) used to show it regularly. What can I say? I loved it, and still do. One of the most important aspects of this programme is, for me, the unforgettable theme tune sung by Terry Bush - "maybe tomorrow, I'll wanna settle down, until tomorrow I'll just keep movin' on". This tune is still sung by me, my friends, and many like-minded Irish & Canadian people I've met who share my love & respect for this show. Definitely a cult classic.

Bring back the days of Old

Author: willallan77 from Australia
27 May 2006

This show was really one of the highlights of my youth(I don't consider it sad). Not too long ago(I'm 29 now) my Spanish mate and I were sitting down and talking about the days of old and this show came up. Still to this day my friend and I remember most of the theme song which was worth a laugh.

All I can say is as a young child I always found the stories fascinating. As the show occurred in my youth, that would explain my ignorance to its picture quality. I can tell you there are not many, if any shows these days that I would consider positive viewing for todays youth. All in all it was great show with passable acting and always a passable story line.

They don't make them like this anymore.

Author: podilato from United Kingdom
16 April 2006

Saw this show again by accident while channel surfing. Immediately took me back to growing up in Australia watching this after school. OK, it doesn't have the highest production values or detailed plot lines but that's the point. You don't need car chases or explosions to be entertaining. It is still great television for youngsters even after all these years. As for the theme song; when I heard it again at the end together with the shots of London walking the streets, trotting down the road, and riding in the train, I got this lump in my throat when I was taken back to my childhood days. This song perfectly sums up all those youthful feelings of freedom and innocence and I don't think many theme tunes can do that.

What a beautiful show

Author: (josesgreats) from Costa Rica
12 August 2006

Was a different era. No doubt.Man a dog like that one,you gotta love it.There's nothing else you can do with it. What embarrassment!!! The lesson that show taught me was that sometimes animals are more decent and have more dignity than some humans.

And the song. "Maybe tomorrow" when they knew how to compose a song. I mean.It's beautiful. The lyrics,the music,the images of the husky walking down the road.

Things we're different back then. I wished they showed it again.

I believe there was a person asking how to get the song. Well. I downloaded it the other day from lime-wire so the song is available.

This show rocks!

Author: stuntgirl from BC, Canada
18 July 2000

I love this show! It is one of the great Canadian shows, in my opinion. It depicts the time during which it was made, and has interesting stories to tell. And some of its guest actors are well known talents (eg. Leslie Nielsen and Mike Myers). Every Canadian should see this show at least once!

Great show. Hard to find

Author: suntop007 from United States
24 October 2006

Maybe it was the theme, maybe it was the great continuing story plot, or maybe it was the fact that it was filmed on videotape rather than film. Maybe it was a combination of it all but this show is unforgettable. I bought the old black and white version and was disappointed. scans thru google and ebay show no finds for people with a collection of the late 70's early version of the show. I wrote the people who released the older version on DVD asking to release the newer version and they sent me a generic email stating that littlest hobo is available on DVD, the old version. Grrr! If anyone has found a way to acquire even some of the 79-81 series of Littlest Hobo please email me Suntop007 hotmail. Thanks! Incidentally I have a clean MP3 copy of the theme song if anyone wants it email me, will email it to you. Incidentally, the comparisons to Rambo in a later post seems a bit out of touch to me. I never saw the final episodes but as I understand it the voice that was calling London was his homeworld. He was a visiting alien from another world which is why he was smarter than the average bear. I have no clue how the series finally ended, if it had a proper ending but I can imagine Londong beaming back up to go home in the end. Any verification? Cause I don't think Hobo's voices were at all like Rambo's.

A milestone in Canadian television (well, as far as a milestone in how far the dog walked)....

Author: crazyrabbits from Canada
7 January 2006

For those of you who have never seen this show, The Littlest Hobo was a show made during the late 1970's which featured a dog named London that wandered around and helped people with their problems. Granted, looking back at this program, the production values look really cheap, and the acting is quite stilted in places. However, it just has this kind of sentimental charm you can't help but ignore, and the theme music was quite good as well (the "On The Road Again" song). I still try to figure out why the dog doesn't just settle down with one person. People offer up numerous things to this dog, and they seem to be well-off, so why doesn't London just stay with them? Oh, that's right. So he can wander the back roads of Ontario while the "On The Road Again" song plays loudly in the background.

Bottom Line: Despite it's age, The Littlest Hobo has some good episodes, and won't bore you to sleep. Watch it if you have a chance.