IMDb > "Hart to Hart" (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Hart to Hart"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Hart to Hart" More at IMDbPro »

My favorite part was to see such a happy and nice looking couple as Jonathan and Jennifer.

Author: Rosemea D.S. MacPherson from US
1 April 2000

Robert Wagner (Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me) "Jonathan Hart" the very nice looking self-made millionaire, with his beautiful wife "Jennifer Hart " Stefanie Powers (The Magnificent Seven Ride!) lived in this darling house along with a butler "Max," Lionel Stander (New York, New York). Max was a dream of a house caretaker, and a cook full of good intuition and love for Jennifer and Jonathan. I would welcome someone in my house like Max. He had initiative. Their cute little dog Freeway, was just adorable. The series started when I first got married and my husband and I loved watching it. I wanted to look at Jennifer's outfits, and somehow managed to get a small leather jacket like hers and was thrilled that I could dress like the millionaire Jennifer Hart. What I liked most about the show was how close the Harts were and also how very happily married. They knew each other extremely well and respected each others opinion. That is what I remembered the most about the series. The people they fought every time were incidental to the show to me, but my favorite part was to see such a happy and nice looking couple. The series was very well done full of beautiful places and beautiful people.

Oh please guys...get a hotel room!

Author: ubercommando from London
31 August 2004

"This is Jonathan Hart, a self made millionaire, this is Mrs H., she's one hell of a lady...My name is Max, I look after the two of them, because when they met, it was moider!"

The Harts were this super rich glamorous couple who solved crimes with a wink and a nod and the sarcastic comment from their butler, Max and his thick New Jersey accent. Both Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers were the king and queen of American television at that time and their performances were so relaxed, so confident and oozing charm that you couldn't help be swept along with the show. And Stefanie Powers is one of the most gorgeous and charismatic actresses ever to grace the small screen (and would still blow her younger counterparts away to this day).

What I think sets "Hart to Hart" apart from "The Thin Man", is the sexual playfulness of Jonathan and Jennifer. These two couldn't keep their hands off each other, and amidst investigating a murder or an art theft, they'd be nibbling each others ears, or fondling their knees or groping each other in a hot tub. There's a voyeuristic quality about this show, as their flirtatious dialogue and just what Jonathan was doing to Jennifer under those hot tub bubbles got the mind going. Some have said that part of the show was the best bit. If the Harts have left a legacy, it was to make viewers want to try kissing underwater.

Wagner And Powers Were A Great Team

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
22 September 2002

Maybe I'm easily pleased but Hart to Hart was a wonderful show. Perhaps I would only admit to watching it after drinking a huge quantity of beer but it was very watchable indeed.

The lovely Stefanie Powers was Jennifer Hart, Robert Wagner was Jonathan Hart. Their butler was Max played by the late Lionel Stander. Together, they travelled around the globe always attracting the attention of the wrong people. There was plenty of action and intrigue but despite all the danger, Jonathan and Jennifer loved each other and everything was held together by their butler Max.

It wasn't the best show ever but it'd be hard to find someone who didn't enjoy it.

An excellent update of "Thin Man" movies

Author: Steed-2 (davidsvarez@yahoo.com) from Canary islands, Spain
24 April 2001

He was a handsome millionaire. She was a well-know journalist. Their hobby was murder. What a beginning! The Harts were, of course, Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers. And the show was an update of "Thin Man" movies. But thanks God, plots were better in the show. Behind all that was creator (and best-seller novelist) Sidney Sheldon who also wrote some scripts in the show. The show was excellent, specially for a very good acting and good scripts. And no forget that wonderful sense of humour! Lionel Stander was the housekeeper Max and Freeway (that was also kidnapped in one episode) was Hart's dog. This is one of my favourite 70's crime and mistery show. Better than Charlie's angels, Kojack, Columbo, etc. It had the same kind of magic I found years later with "Remington Steele".

Millionaire sleuths solve mysteries while enjoying wedded bliss

Author: roghache from Canada
10 May 2006

This is a highly entertaining series featuring suspense and adventure, but above all the constantly romantic relationship between the married couple, the Harts, around which this story revolves. It's a wonderful series for both mystery and romance.

Jonathan and Jennnifer Hart are a pair of engaging amateur detectives. The dashing Jonathan is a self made millionaire and CEO of his company, Hart Industries. His gorgeous wife, Jennifer, has had her own career as a freelance journalist. Now much of their time is spent globe trotting and acting as amateur sleuths, investigating with apparent ease cases of murder, theft, and espionage. Apart from that, they enjoy their mansion home, the company of their loyal butler, Max, and their cute little dog, Freeway.

The two stars have a great on screen chemistry. Robert Wagner brings charm and charisma to the role of Jonathan Hart, and the beautiful Stephanie Powers is perfect as his wife, Jennifer. Lionel Stander portrays to perfection Max, the couple's butler, cook, and chauffeur, who is very proud of his employers and valiantly tries to keep their lives sorted out for them.

The glamorous couple's jet setting lifestyle and assorted encounters with danger & intrigue make for an engaging program. As with all amateur sleuths, murder follows these two wherever they journey. However, it's their constant flirting and loving banter that make the show. These two literally can't seem to get enough of each other! How refreshing to witness a married couple so obviously in love. Although they enjoy the luxurious benefits of Jonathan's wealth, they seem to be a pair with their priorities straight in life.

Hart to Hart is an amazing show!

Author: countrymusik19
24 March 2006

My parents were the ones who introduced me to Hart to Hart, because they used to tape the show. It is really one of the better TV shows ever made. Shows nowadays are just really shallow. I don't agree with the fact that it's dated, because people can still relate to it, I think. Lionel Stander, as Max, is really one-of-a-kind, and adds a wonderful warmth to the screen.

Stephanie Powers and Robert Wagner make a great screen couple, and a spectacular team. Their chemistry is fantastic!

The only thing I don't think is good about Hart to Hart is the way Jennifer Hart depends on Jonathan so much, when she's in danger.

Great series

Author: ntsuno from Amsterdam Holland
2 July 2005

The series Hart o Hart is great to watch. I think the power in this TVseries is that the Harts love each other and there butler very much. People like to see that. Its working relaxing. I know that in this series the friends of the family are getting less, but if you watch Jessica Fletcher and more other detective series, you have the same problem. Just enjoy the show. I saw that de McMillan and Wife is coming on DVD too. I hope it will be done with this TVserie also. All episodes are just relaxing to watch. Nice cars, great home lovely people....etc. etc. No, I think it is a good TVseries. Now the next problem is to get this on DVD in Europe. The forget us sometimes .....Ntsuno

A sweet, entertaining show in its time

Author: la-31 from Los Angeles, United States
29 October 2005

I was in elementary school in the late 70s when this show debuted, but my mother loved watching it, and so it has a soft spot in my heart. It will seem dated now, but the chemistry between Robert Wagner and Stephanie Powers as well as the glamorous settings made for fun viewing. As a jet set couple very much in love, the show has a nostalgic positive vibe that is sadly missing these days. I really like the fact that they are very happily MARRIED. Very 70s-Sidney Sheldon chic. I would love to see an intelligent, non-goofy remake of Hart to Hart. It would require intelligence as well as good looks in the two leads. And obviously great chemistry! Both of these original actors are very classy, and it would be hard to top them. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes romance and mystery, 70s style.

"When they met... it was murder!"

Author: bensonmum2 from Tennessee
19 February 2008

If you've read some of my other user comments, you'll quickly discover that Hart to Hart isn't the kind of thing I usually go for. But, surprisingly, the show works for me. A loving relationship, plenty of money, a wonderful house, nice cars, and a life filled with adventure and mystery – this is what has always drawn me to Hart to Hart.

At the heart of Hart to Hart is its two leads – Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers as Johnathan and Jennifer Hart. Has there ever been a more perfect television couple? It's easy to see that they were longtime friends in real life before the show started. They seem so natural together. Both are also accomplished actors and are capable of making even the most ridiculous of situations believable. And Lionel Stander as the butler, chauffeur, handyman, cook, and general do everything guy, Max, is also a real asset. Like Wagner and Powers, he came to the series with a long resume. It's a solid cast.

Looking back at some of the episodes, they may seem incredibly corny to those more accustomed to modern TV. Two people just don't find themselves in these kinds of predicaments week after week. One week you're running from drug smugglers, the next week your house is completely emptied by thieves, and the next you're recovering a priceless antique for a Buddhist temple. I could live a lifetime and never have one episode worth of the adventure the Harts experienced. And, you know what? – it's this implausibility that really makes the show work for me. I enjoy it because it is unrealistic and fanciful. Life is tough enough without having reality rear its ugly head disguised as entertainment on television. I love to turn on something like Hart to Hart (or Charlie's Angels or Wonder Woman or Banacek or whatever show you can name form this period) and be entertained, and, even for a brief moment, forget about the real problems we all face. I don't find today's reality-based television dramas entertaining – they're depressing to me.

Guilty Pleasure, 80s style

Author: Jambie67 from USA
21 January 2007

Man, I love this show, and wish they would show reruns on cable now, instead of some of the crappy shows in syndication. Hart to Hart wasn't deep or important or even remotely realistic, but it was great fun, and full of eye candy. Stephanie (who was and is just gorgeous) and Robert had great chemistry and brought a real sense of glamor to this show. The formula was simple and effective: every episode was either about a Hart family friend or colleague getting murdered or murdering someone else, followed by the Harts donning costumes, playing sleuth, and using their vast financial resources to solve the crime. There was always at least one "action" scene or chase, and the show always closed with some silly, sexual banter between J&J...usually shot in the bedroom set. Along the way there was always a bit of comic relief provided by the late, great Lionel Stander (AKA Max.) TV these days is either incredibly shoddy or sooooo self-important and haughty that it's unwatchable (Hello, Mr. Sorkin!!!)A show like Hart to Hart would be a welcome change of pace these days.