IMDb > "Archie Bunker's Place" (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Archie Bunker's Place"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Archie Bunker's Place" More at IMDbPro »

Not as good as All in the Family

Author: mkaiser-3 from United States
24 June 2006

With Archie Bunker's place, Carroll O'Connor had much more creative control than he did on All in the Family... too bad he didn't have Jean, Sally and Rob to back him up, with the exception of a 2 part episode. Rob Reiner was supposedly reluctant to return, but being newly divorced, he needed the money.

The post-Edith episodes are much more maudlin than the first season, and it's depressing to see a sadder Archie. We saw much less of 704 Hauser St., and when it was shown, it looked a lot darker and emptier.

About a year before it was cancelled, Sally Struthers, who really had nothing better lined up, was talked into doing a spin off featuring her Gloria character, now separated from Mike Stivic.

Before the show was cancelled, there was talk of possibly having Rob Reiner return occasionally as Mike, but Rob had become an established director and had no desire to reprise Meathead.

Gloria was now a veterinary assistant, and the trainer from Rocky was the veterinarian that let her sleep in an extra room in his house where his practice was.

Unfortunately, not enough people were interested in seeing a single Gloria, who had matured since the original series. I saw the first show, and thought the show was awkward. It was an attempt to show a single woman struggling to make it on her own (and that's been done before, what, at least a couple times...Mary Tyler Moore, That Girl)

Not All in the Family

Author: yonko from Maryland
16 December 2002

This show never measured up to All in the Family. I was too young to really remember this show, but I have been watching it in TVland. It' not bad, but you can really see the Archie's jokes coming a mile away. I think this show lacked the emotion that All in the Family had. Archie's Place became your basic sitcom and it didn't have anything that really set it off from anything else. It had it's moments, though. But I think Murray Klein (Martin Balsam) was the best character on the show.

Welcome to Archie Bunker's Place, Ya Don't Like the Service Then Stifle Yourself!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
27 January 2003

[MAY BE SPOILERS]

When All in the Family ended it's 9th season in 1979, they decided to change the name of the show to Archie Bunker's Place because Jean Stapleton didn't want to do Edith much longer so now the show focuses on Archie's Place, formerly Kelsey's Bar! Archie is never lonely, his "friends" Barney Hefner, Harry Snowden, and Murray Klein drop by. Edith even made a few appearances but unfortunately she died in the fall of 1980, leaving Archie and Stephanie alone. Stephanie Mills did appear in many episodes, but mostly they just focused on Archie and the bar. The show ceased production in 1983. I really only saw one episode in which Barney "accidentally" breaks the TV in the bar and Archie takes him to small claims court. This show is back on TV now so I watch a few episodes, but it just isn't All in the Family. That just isn't Archie! You know what I mean? Even when Edith is there, it just didn't feel the same. It also isn't that good which makes me wonder why it lasted four years. So when the show ceased in 1983, that was it until the Bunker house set was redecorated for 704 Hauser.

All in the Family was a great show, but unfortunately Archie Bunker's Place just doesn't have some of the same characteristics. And the new instrumental version of the theme song at the beginning and end just isn't that great so in conclusion, I don't recommend Archie Bunker's Place, just stick with good old All in the Family.

In memory of Carroll O'Connor.

A damn good Ending for "All In The Family

Author: Swampthing316 from USA
11 October 2002

A very damn good show.

Archie Bunker's place was disliked by so many probably because Mike and Gloria weren't arguing with Archie in it and Edith died at the beginning of season 2.

During season 1 a Thanksgiving Reunion Episode was made reuniting Mike Gloria, Edith and Archie. Sadly, this was the final episode that they would all be together. This episode is often overlooked due to the fact that Archie Bunkers Place is rarely seen on any network.

TVland just started showing episodes of Archie Bunker's Place every night at Midnight. I don't know if they are going to show the entire series or not, I sure hope they do.

In this series we see an older much wiser Archie, we see him flashback to many episodes of All In The Family regretting many of the mistakes he made.

Archie changes a great deal during this series, he makes up for everything he did wrong in the past. This show cleans up after All In The Family. This show is there as sort of an Anchor for All In The Family. It sends out a message to all its viewers saying no Bigotry is not Okay, sure we passed Bigotry off as being okay in All In The Family but now your are seeing what happens to a bigot late in life, this bigot begins to see the error of his ways.

This show was ironically canceled after 4 seasons somewhere in between 1982 and 1983.

I believe a full marathon of Archie Bunkers Place starting with the episodes of All In The Family in which Archie Buys the bar, should have ran for four days straight after Carroll O'Connors death, this would have been a fitting tribute to the veteran actor. At least an airing of the actual pilot of All in the Family followed by some land mark episodes of that show than episodes of Archie Bunkers Place should've been aired.

May Archie rest in peace!

It was never the same as the original but still worth watching anyway!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
30 May 2006

Carroll O'Connor's character Archie Bunker was so popular that the network could not let him go so easily. Jean Stapleton, Rob Reiner, and Sally Struthers were eager to move away from their television personalities. But let's face it, they were on one of the most popular sitcoms ever and for them, it is both a blessing and curse as well. Archie Bunker's Place had a girl, Danielle Brisebois as the Jewish girl from Edith's side of the family. I remember watching Anne Meara, Liz Torres, and others who try to recreate the magic that was All in the Family but the show is still superior to anything on television today so I'm being a little more liberal because the character of ARchie Bunker became an American icon and part of the fabric of American culture that we would miss him too much. THis show allowed us to slowly move on. We love Archie Bunker and the actor who played him, Carroll O'Connor. For most of us, we'll always think of him as Archie.

Only one memorable episode

Author: Baldach
23 February 2003

Unfortunately I only saw a few episodes when in it orginially aired and have been watching repeats on TV land. I seriously wonder if Archie Bunker's place was staged before a live audience. The laughter in the series seemed almost forced. In my opinion the only memorable episode is when Archie Bunker visits Reggie Jackson and shows off his hidden racist views. Archie Bunker seems to have mellowed from his previous "All in Family" series and is a mere chuckle than a rip roaring laugh.

Archie Bunker's Place

Author: ciecie from mayville, new york
4 September 2005

Like you, I also enjoy watching the re-runs of All In The Family and Archie Bunker's Place. You are right about it not being a spin-off of the original show. If you will listen, it says at the end of Archie Bunker's Place it says it was played before a studio audience for Live Responses. They changed it from being taped before a studio audience to this at the request of Carroll O'Connor. As I recall, the reason was that it because the studio audiences' laughter made O'Connor very nervous. By the way, a spin off is when one or more characters has another show written around them. The two big spin-offs from All In The Family were The Jeffersons and Maude. Maude spun-off another show, Good Times.

The Last Remains of "All in the Family".

Author: tfrizzell from United States
5 June 2004

Archie Bunker ("Carroll O'Connor) moved up in the world by 1979 with this fair follow-up to "All in the Family". He decides to buy the bar down the street that always served as his second home and hilarious situations followed for another 96 episodes over a four-year run from 1979 through 1983. O'Connor though made the transition alone as Jean Stapleton passed away on the show and O'Connor found solace with a young orphan (Danielle Brisebois) who he started to rear as the previous series ended. The comedic timing of O'Connor and Brisebois (an adolescent at the time) was impressive for the most part, but honestly O'Connor thrived on old colleagues like Stapleton, Rob Reiner and Sally Struthers much better. Good performers like Anne Meara and old movie character actor Martin Balsam were high-lighted as the series ran its course. Just always lacked the edginess and creativity of its predecessor. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

The sequel

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
19 December 2002

THANK YOU TVLAND!

After the huge success of "All In The Family",the spinoff to this series was titled "Archie Bunker's Place",which ran on CBS-TV for four seasons(from 1979-1982). In this installment,the series picks up where one of the most influential series in the history of television left off which to some was not the last we will see of the controversial character Archie Bunker(played by Carroll O'Connor). First off,Archie becomes a widow after his beloved wife Edith passes away and also brings back the last time that fellow actors Jean Stapleton,Sally Struthers,and Rob Reiner would be together in which it was to be the show's final episode,but it wasn't(and this was from the first season of Archie Bunker's Place and the last go round of All In The Family is where this series begins). However,Archie and Edith by the way,adopts a little girl named Stephanie(played by Danielle Brisbois) and after the tragedy of Edith Bunker,Archie leaves his job at the plant,and opens up his own bar in the Queens section of New York(where the setting of the show is shown). Here we get to see a side of Archie Bunker that was never shown before,only this time around that here is a bigot who will see the error of his ways and then all of a sudden repent and Carroll O'Connor pulls this one off brilliantly. Still you may have the same controversial issues that reflect the day,but in all it was a wonderful series that needs to be seen again after two decades sitting on a studio shelf never to be heard from again.

However,TV Land has brought back these classic episodes and what they should have done was after the passing of actor Carroll O'Connor,they should have did a marathon of both "All In The Family",and this series. Let's hope they do.

An insult to All in the Family

Author: goddessofluck from Sioux Falls, SD United States
7 May 2006

I never realized how great All in the Family was until I watched Archie Bunker's Place... which was horrible. It made me realize what was missing - everything! It's apples & oranges - apples & zebras is more accurate. It is a depressing sequel/spin off in a sad lonely bar with flat lines & flatter jokes. Too much effort in trying to clean up Archie's act - tried to hard in my opinion, a bit unbelievable. I am disappointed that O'Connor even liked it enough to do it. Without Edith, the Bunkers don't exist to me. Gloria & Mike's absence is painfully obvious - Archie Bunker's Place story lines are manufactured, not natural, as with All in the Family. I don't know how this lasted FOUR years!