IMDb > "Angie" (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Angie" More at IMDbPro »

Cancelled to save Laverne and Shirley

Author: John Seger from Los Angeles
27 June 2004

Many people don't know the reason why this excellent and popular sitcom was cancelled. It got top ten ratings when it was scheduled after "Happy Days" on Tuesday nights, when Laverne and Shirley was moved from that same time slot to Thursdays. By the end of the season, "Laverne and Shirley" was doing horribly in it's new Thursday night slot and was almost cancelled. So, ABC returned "Laverne and Shirley " to it's Tuesday night slot with great success. Only ABC moved "Angie" around to different nights where it lost it's ratings lead in and dropped to the bottom of the ratings and was cancelled. In 1985, 5 years after it's cancellation, ABC aired the show's re-runs at 10AM weekdays, and had great success. It later appeared in syndication. Proof this show deserved a chance. If you wanna help get this under-rated classic show released onto DVD, we gotta convince paramount to do it!! If you really wanna help get "Angie released on DVD, please go to the following URL and quickly register and cast your vote..This website is responsible for getting tons of TV shows released, as it submits all results to the studios! PLEASE VOTE FOR "ANGIE" at http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/showinfo.cfm?showID=709

Hey, Paramount!...

Author: James Helberg from United States
8 June 2004

...How about releasing "Angie": The Complete Series on DVD! All the episodes are just sitting there in your vault collecting dust! This series is fondly remembered by everyone I talk to about it. Judging by the other comments I think you could sell quite a few units and make a nice profit. Great writing,great cast including: Donna (Even Stevens) Pescow, Robert (Airplane) Hays and EMMY Winner Doris (Everybody Loves Raymond) Roberts set this show apart as one of the few sitcom gems of the 1970's. The show underwent sweeping changes in it's very short run however, the writing was always sharp and funny. A poor time slot and an uncertain network (ABC) lead to the series' early demise. I think if the show had been given a chance to find it's voice and audience it would have went on to have a long successful run.

"Let the rain shower, let the rose flower..."

Author: OKCRay from United States
12 November 2003

I had a bit of a crush on Donna Pescow when I first saw her in Saturday Night Fever, so when Angie premiered in the spring of 1979, I was ecstatic. She was even more gorgeous on this show, and this was a pretty decent sitcom. It also was in the Top 5 for its first few weeks, but unfortunately it only ran about a season and a half. The basic premise was Angie Falco, a waitress at a Philadelphia coffee shop, falls in love with Brad, a pediatrician and one of her regular customers. It's basically a "working-class Cinderella meets her knight in shining armor" story, and they elope when the two families cannot agree on the upcoming wedding details. The show actually changed quite a bit during its short run. After the wedding, Angie still works as a waitress and moves into Brad's lavish mansion, complete with butler. Shortly thereafter, Brad surprises Angie by purchasing the coffee shop and Angie becomes the manager. Not long after that, Angie puts the mansion on the market and they move to a smaller, cozier, but still opulent home (with Brad's office located downstairs). No sooner are they settled in, then Angie sells the coffee shop and purchases a beauty salon, which she manages and where her mother (Doris Roberts, in a role where she truly shines) works after giving up her newsstand job. There was plenty of good acting and well-written comedy here, but the constant changes in a relatively short series life apparently made the regular viewer dizzy (and the "every once in a while" viewer wonder what the hell happened if they missed a couple episodes!). Despite all that I still enjoyed this show and would love to see it make a comeback on TV Land someday, or perhaps be issued as a DVD set.

Hit show but short lived

Author: fletcherfletch (fletcherfletch@hotmail.com) from Denton, Texas
28 April 2006

The sitcom was initially the highest-rated new series of 1978-1979 TV series, appearing on schedule in January 1979 (tying with "Mork and Mindy" for that honor). However, unlike the Orsonian goofball, "Angie" was the victim of a massive revamp during its second season and a victim of constant schedule shuffling--moved from night to night, time slot to time slot, repeatedly for months, by ABC until viewers lost interest in searching for it, then abandoned the ship. The only rats here, however, were the ABC executives who, like all network suits, failed to realize the damage that instability does to a potential hit series with immediate high ratings, a lovable heroine, a cast of crazies and the audience. I truly miss this show one-quarter of a century later. Robin Fletcher

magnificent until they changed it

Author: lrldoit
16 November 2011

This show premiered February 8, 1979. It had a wonderful cast, superb writing and a very interesting and well handled premise. Liberty Coffee Shop waitress Angelina Carmella Mary Falco meets and quickly marries millionaire doctor Bradley Andrew Benson. The hysterical and heartwarming adventures begin. The characters were phenomenal. Brad Benson a regular guy and caring husband. Angie the sensible of the two Falco daughters. The other daughter, Marie, was a hilarious scatterbrain played by Debralee Scott. The other waitress, man crazy DiDi played by Diane Robin. Off camera chef Hector (less funny as on camera chef during the second season).

Perhaps the best developed character Theresa Concheta Rosa Fortunata Falco was played by Doris Roberts. Her character alternated between humor and pathos. After Angie's elopement, when Mrs. Falco said "Angie. Angie who?", it brought tears to my eyes. The chemistry between the actors was unusually strong.

On the Benson side, there was Brad's father, a gruff but fair man, well played by John Randolph. Brad's snobby sister played surprisingly sympathetically by Sharon Spellman and her daughter Hillary with some funny lines of her own, played by Tammy Lauren.

Humorous issues and serious points were dealt with. By May, at #5 in the ratings, it was renewed - but changed. DiDi and Hillary were gone. The writing wasn't as funny. A butler was added even though Brad made a point of not wanting a butler. A time and day change and the ratings started to slip. They withdrew and retooled the show. The death knell was the end of the Liberty Coffee Shop and Mrs. Falco's newsstand. The show burned brightly and faded away. At its best, this was the family you wanted as your second family. Mrs. Falco was the mother-in-law you wish you had. This also contains Doris Roberts finest work and best character.

I want it on DVD too

Author: javiersimpatico from Argentina
20 November 2008

I remember the TV series very well and i would like to see it again in DVD, with Spanish audio or Spanish subtitles. I saw it many time ago when i was just a kid, in the 80's but if i remember it so well is because it had to be great. Fortunately all the famous studios are remastering the old series and now we are lucky to see it again in our homes. I wish it happen the same with Angie, a funny and nice entertainment for all the family, Im sure i did not see all the chapters and this is an extra reason to buy an edition like this one, so i ask too for the possibility to have in a store "Angie" to buy it, thanks to all that miss the series and my best regards . Greetings.

Debralee Scott rocks. Angie was a great but misunderstood show.

Author: carthur from Glendale, CA
16 July 1999

What went wrong? Debralee Scott, Donna Pescow, Robert Hays, awesome theme song. Too bad I was too young to truly appreciate the writing and character development. How about a reunion?

The right show at the wrong time.

Author: Martin Nohe (applcon@erols.com) from Woodbridge, VA
24 June 1999

"Angie" was a program that was doomed to last no more than one season. First of all, it ran on ABC in the late 1970s, which pretty much sealed its fate as a ratings flop. Moreover, it had all of the right elements, in the wrong combination. In a way, the show was very ahead of its time. In another, it had very little new to offer.

Donna Pescow played Angie, a working class Italian-American woman working as a waitress in a Philadelphia Diner, who dreamed of a better life. She was often visited by her "rough around the edges" sister, who criticized her conservative nature, and her smothering mother who criticized her lack of a husband. In the third episode, she married Brad, a regular customer at the diner, only to discover AFTER the wedding that Brad was the heir to a huge family fortune. But her new found wealth didn't keep her from working at the diner, especially after Brad bought her the diner for her birthday. Angie turned her downtown restaurant into a success, while living in her uptown penthouse apartment.

"Angie" had a strong cast. It was well written and it's "working class humor" was right for the times. But the "rags to riches" storyline and slapstick humor did little to set it apart from the sea of sitcoms that filled the airwaves in 1979.

Donna Pescow & Tom Hayes were great in this TV series.

Author: dvaughan-2 from United States
28 January 2006

Donna Pescow & Tom Hayes were great in this TV series, which I could not remember the name of for almost three decades. It was the first time I saw them and they seemed to work so well together. I watched the series regularly and when it was cancelled I was really bummed.

I lost track of these two great actors until I saw Tom Hayes in the fabulous 'Airplane', one of my all-time favorites. I became an instant fan of Tom Hayes again, but I still missed seeing Donna Pescow.

Donna was so cute, beautiful, sexy (in that innocent way) and yes lovable. Actually she was the spitting image of my high school sweetheart and the love of my life (an Italian beauty). I was watching Saturday Night Fever tonight and recognized Donna playing the character Annette. Finally, I was hopeful that through the credits I would see her name and let my sweetheart know the beauty I thought she looked like. The credits rolled by so quickly I missed her name! I found this site when I Googled 'Saturday Night Fever cast' and finally got to remember Donna Pescow and some of her other credits.

After 34 years apart and without any contact, my high school Sweetheart and I found each other and have rekindled our romance. Four year later, finding Donna on this site borough a smile to my face and relieves a frustration I have had for many years. And now I won't forget 'Angie' again. Thank you.

The Longest Theme Song Of Any Sitcom I Have Ever Seen

Author: leighabc123 from Portsmouth, Virginia
23 June 2005

This show had the longest theme song of any sitcom that I have ever seen!

I remember watching this show every day. This show was as much a part of my childhood as most of the other sitcoms.

The time I watched it was during the summer before I started fifth grade.

The mother on this show is the same mother on Everybody Loves Raymond. She had brown hair back then!

I don't remember much about this show.

I just remember the extremely long theme song.

I can't believe I actually heard a minister quote the lyrics to this theme song almost 20 years later.