IMDb > "A Woman Called Moses" (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"A Woman Called Moses" More at IMDbPro »

Cicely Tyson is Harriet Tubman

Author: Single-Black-Male from London, England
7 January 2005

At last there is an adaptation of the life of Harriet Tubman, the female Moses of the mid 19th century in America. I have read all the biographies on the autobiography of Harriet Tubman and thought to myself this is very much like Cecil B. DeMille's 'Union Pacific' and the expansion of the railroad from east to west. Tubman's underground passage is from south to north, leading into Niagara Falls in Canada. There is a 'Negro Burial Ground' near Niagara Falls to this day to commemorate those who made it across the border. Now that I think about it there isn't anyone else that could play Harriet Tubman but Cicely Tyson. Apart from her accent which I can't get a hold of, I think she brings the right emotions to the part.

This is a wonderful movie that all black people must see.

Author: ariejamie
24 May 2016

I remember learning about Harriet Tubman and reading a few books about her as a child. When I learned that there was a movie, I knew I had to see it and I purchased it. After seeing it for the first time it was captivating and inspiring. I absolutely love this movie, it is my favorite of all times. I purchased this movie many years ago and I have watched it many times in fact it stays in my DVD player at all times (test me). I can recite most of the lines from the move. My favorite is the quote she uses that defies struggles. That was an epiphany moment, it changed my outlook on struggles and gave new meaning to endurance. The 1st time I saw this movie she became my hero! I remember thinking, for a woman living in those times and being confined to that situation, to show that kind of strength was incredible and life changing for me. Cicely Tyson brought her to life for me, no one else (in my opinion) could've played her.

I watched this film three times a year in school in Berkeley CA

Author: Miles Digby from United States
27 December 2008

For years the Berkeley CA school District must have had a free copy. It was shown from grade 5 1978 (age 10 until age 14)1982. Its raining outside "show them the woman called Mosses", teacher is hung over, "woman called Mosses" again, temp teacher, hey we can watch this movie! That is not the worst, it was a good movie.

But under the Geneva Convention I was tortured. I was forced to learn all the words to "I am woman hear me roar" in third grade. As well as many Dylan songs. People wonder why we hate hippies.

Actually if you have a child it is not a bad movie to show them. Mrs. Tyson is of course great. But a teacher friend of mind says they now have something animated for kids about the underground railroad and animation holds their attention a lot better.