IMDb > The Wiz (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Wiz

The Wiz More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 15: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

One or two exhilarating scenes

Author: Loring Ivanick from Tokyo, Japan
21 August 2003

In 1939, they took a story and they made a movie about it. The story was about a child. The movie evoked the childhood feelings of loneliness, fear and wonder in all of us. In 1978 they took a musical and made a movie of it. It's less of a story and more a performance. I can still watch Judy Garland and the rest of the original cast and care about them. Here I care about the music and the production values, both of which are fine. There are a couple of really inspiring scenes: "A Brand New Day", when the Wicked Witch is destroyed, and Lena Horne's rendition of "Believe in Yourself", that I could watch again and again, and I find myself fast-forwarding to them instead of watching the whole film.

OH MY GOD!!! MICHAEL JACKSON IS BLACK!!!!

Author: Echo-the-Nymph from Delusia
5 July 2003

Whoda thunkit? I watched this movie when I was little and it scared me to death. Then again, so did the original Oz (everything except Toto) I hated this movie so much, but then I watched it when I was older and loved it. Diana does the role very well, and the costumes are beautiful. Songs are catchy and I like the differences from the original. Michael Jackson still frightens me, but he's cute here still, looking human and all. Overall, a great movie.

The best of all time and one of its kind!!!!!

Author: kita117 from Maryland
26 June 2003

Even though I was not born when this movie came out, I really fell in love with this movie, so of course I own it. I think it is wayyyy better than the Wizard of Oz. My favorite scene is "Ease on Down the Road". A lot of people down this movie, but maybe they were jeolous of how good and entertaining it was (THE MUSIC OVERALL)!!!

I think.....

Author: MzFlyDreadz from Earth, USA
1 June 2003

This was a very good movie...Personally I think it was better than the original wizard of oz. I think alot of people are kind of used to seeing the original film...but being an African American ...when I first saw this I was like wow!!...this movie is pretty neat I must say ....it's just kind of sad that it didn't and still doesn't get much play.

Life's Lessons Taught in "The Wiz"

Author: (equilibrium7@hotmail.com) from New York, NY
13 November 2000

This movie is EXCELLENT! This is a great movie for both children and adults. Whenever I feel as though I've lost my way from "home", this movie gives me the motivation I need to get back on track. I recognize that if it were not for "The Wizard of Oz" there might not have been "The Wiz", but honey, the "TWOO" ain't got nothin' on the "The Wiz"!

a GOOD cREEPY mOVIE, Kinda like watching return to Oz except with darker cinematography

Author: Dark Night from Inglewood
22 June 2000

Tw Wiz is an excellent movie, Don't let anyone tell you differently. It succeeds as being one of the few musicals of recent times that actually were good. The story extremely creative, I mean come on putting a urban twist to the original Wizard of Oz is not easy, and anyone who thinks it is I'd like to see you try to do it.

Anyway the cinematography is really dark and somewhat creepy (in a good way). The imagery of this movie is absolutely unforgetable. Key scenes to look out for are the Subway scene, the flying monkey's scene, and big show down against the fat evil witch.

Oh and if your still having a hard time considering to rent this movie, It's ok it probably wasn't meant for you to appreciate anyway. Or if your having a hard time understanding the movie just tell yourself it's a Blaxploitation version of The Wizard of Oz and that the intended target audience is meant for a culture that your obviously not apart of.

p.s( the good witch of the East that looks white, isn't white at all she's a famous black singer/actress that goes by the name Lena Horn... for those of you who don't know)

Michael Jackson saves the Wiz

Author: G. Pelgröm (fam.pelgrom-2) from Epe, The Netherlands
8 January 2000

Let's be honest, this is not exactly a good movie. The idea is original, though, as well as the art direction. The problem is that the outline of this script is downright boring. One person saves the movie however, Michael Jackson. With his childlike overacting he gives this movie the only reason to see it anyway. It is too bad that Mike hasn't done a lot of acting. I'm told however he will do so in the future. I can only encourage it. Oh, and there is one other thing that saves this movie... the incredible soundtrack featuring the hit "A brand new day".

A good movie

Author: rlough9272 from Houghton, ENGLAND
4 December 1999

While it comes nowhere near the high standards of the 1939 MGM version of The Wizard Of Oz, The Wiz is still a fun film that has something for everyone. There are some good songs (The Lion, The Scarecrow, The Emerald City routine)and the acting is good. I do, however have a couple problems with it. It is advertised as having an all black cast, but the good witch is white. In the book, Dorothy is a child. Here she appears to be in her thirties. These however are minor imperfections in an otherwise good film. I give The Wiz a 7/10.

Excellent film for all the family!!

Author: tp1973 from United Kingdom
4 September 2010

I've always loved Diana Ross and Michael Jackson and this was one of those films I've always wanted to see. I have 2 little girls aged 2 & 3, they love the original Wizard of Oz and adore Michael Jackson, so I thought this would be a perfect buy when I saw it in the shops a few days ago.

This certainly didn't disappoint. There are a few things in the film the girls find scary, so we just skip those parts (the underground scene where they get locked behind the gates) but apart from that, they are transfixed, absolutely love it.

Regarding the race thing I've seen on a previous comment about this being a black cast, myself and my children are white and aren't offended and it didn't distract from our enjoyment. My children certainly haven't said why are they all black, they were more concerned that Michael Jackson couldn't stand up properly because he was a scarecrow and had newspaper coming out of his head. Also, we've seen Michael change through the years and they've never questioned that either, children are just so accepting and straightforward. My 3 year old keeps singing Ease On Down The Road - bless her.

"The Wizard of Oz" gone urban!

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
4 July 2006

Remakes come and go for a long time, when it comes to urbanizing versions of some movies, this one is a watcher. "The Wiz" is a urban version of "The Wizard of Oz" only funkier. Dorothy(Diana Ross, "Lady Sings The Blues") lives in New York and she get transported to a urban like Oz. Looks like the cross between "West Side Story" meets "The Wizard of Oz" to me. The music is great, and the characters are dynamite! The Tin Man(Nipsey Russell), the Scarecrow(Michael Jackson), and the Lion(Ted Ross) all know how to strut their stuff when they "Ease on down the Road". Instead of Ruby slippers, there are Silver! And Evillene(Mabel King, "What's Happening!!) right hand was bent out of shape when she tried to take them. I thought that was a little creepy. And all the songs I heard, the Poppy Song Was sounding like "The Money" song from the O'Jays. The choreography in the movie is top notched. After ridding the sweatshop of Evillene freed the workers form their labor. And those flying monkeys weren't so bad after they helped Dorothy and the gang. Very heart felt, very invigorating, this movie is great for anyone. Whether you prefer the original, or the urbanized version. The Wiz is real showbiz! 4 out of 5 stars.