IMDb > The Wiz (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 12 of 16: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Listen to the music

Author: Evan Wall from America
6 June 2006

The Wiz, based on the 1978 Broadway hit of the same name, hits the big screen with an all star cast including Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, Nipsey Russell, Richard Pryor, and Lena Horne; with Tedd Ross and Mabel King reprising their Broadway roles. If you are familiar with the children's classic, "The Wizard of Oz" them seeing this movie will ease some stress of watching this lengthy movie. Quincy Jones does an amazing job of arranging the music to where is hits you the face. Great orchestrations and perfect voice talents to sing along to it. Only thing that doesn't make this movie my top 10 is of many reasons. Diana Ross was to old to play the part of a 24 year old, had the voice, but not the looks. The theme of the story is supposed to be a lively bright story, but instead Sindey Lumnet turns it into this dark soul searching thing for Dorothy and it was meant to be happy yet with a purpose.

If you hate the movie, It's a must to own the soundtrack and have it as a collectible. The Music is Worth It!

OZ NEVER had as much soul as it does NOW!!!

Author: ricki oh from New York, NY
20 December 2004

everyone wants to hate on this film - go ahead & hate! i love this film & there isn't anything ANYONE can say to make me change my views(& i seen this film when it first came out in 1978!!...when Siskel & Ebert both dissed this film).

granted, Diana Ross should've kept her old ass out of the film, but everyone - & i DO mean EVERYONE else in the film did a magnificent job in their performances.

i take nothing away from the original "Wizard Of OZ", as that's a classic - but "The Wiz" is a classic in its own right, as well.

so much soul, you KNOW the soundtrack is a must-have!!;)

this film is timeless & is slowly beginning to receive some respect amongst everyone(it was only us Afrikan-Americans who embraced this film, fully, at first). it's a nice twist on a classic plot.

...so, don't listen to haters, listen to your heart.;)

whoa!

Author: deelite3 from Hypocrisy Ville
25 February 2004

The Wiz is a wonderful movie. One of my top 10 favorites. It is a wonderful movie full of colors, great music, and fantasy. I loved Michael Jackson as the Scarecrow, i loved the Tin Man, and the cowardly lion was fantabulous. It seems everyone has an opinion about this movie, and if u are planning on gettting the movie, don't take our word for it, check it out for yourself, and u be the critic. I love it, and most importantly, i think the children will love it. As we get older we tend to lose our imagination and become hardcore. Then, we can no longer see the beauty in fantasy. I am an adult and i love the movie, but put it to the real test and see what children think about it.

Wonderful, except for Miss Ross

Author: BodaciousK15 from Washington, USA
29 December 2003

The Wiz offers wonderful and unique musical numbers, also, the costume designer should be bowed to. However, my large problem with this film was Diana Ross, she is horrible. Every time she does a solo musical number I just wanted to turn the film off, her voice is weak in this movie and rather shrill. What kept me watching was Michael Jackson, he truly lights up the screen as the scarecrow. He is a wonderful singer/dancer and has the required charisma. All in all, this movie is worth watching because of everyone but Diana Ross and the wonderful costumes and songs.

The best of all time and one of its kind!!!!!

Author: kita117 from Maryland
26 June 2003

Even though I was not born when this movie came out, I really fell in love with this movie, so of course I own it. I think it is wayyyy better than the Wizard of Oz. My favorite scene is "Ease on Down the Road". A lot of people down this movie, but maybe they were jeolous of how good and entertaining it was (THE MUSIC OVERALL)!!!

not the best, but good nonetheless

Author: kandyapplebleu from baltimore, maryland
4 June 2003

ok, so it's not the greatest adaptation of a movie on earth. but, what can i say, it's a classic (for me anyway). quincy jones really did it up with the music. i thought the costumes were pretty cool too (especially the emerald city dancers costumes). if it's not a great movie, it's definitely a fun one.

A Classic

Author: murrlorr from Toronto, Canada
15 December 2002

I first saw this movie, when I was, oh...say 9. I was mesmerized and at the same time frightened by those darn bouncing, bopping puppets. And the moving walls in the subway station. WOW. I guess I was a strong minded child as I loved it so much, that when ever it came on television I'd watch it every time. Yes Mrs. Ross as Dorothy was not only a bad choice. She was sooooooo annoying. Why did she always look like she was a deer caught in headlights. And what's with the whinning and crying. Geeezzzzzeee. Any hoo. The songs I loved them all. The costumes were out of this world. And Michael was excellent! I am currently looking for the DVD in store asI just bought a DVD player and this movie is at the top of my list.

Rating 8/10

wonderful flick!!!

Author: jessi fleming (feisty16@hotmail.com) from whitehorse, canada
13 June 2001

my name is jessica fleming. i'm in the mad program. we watched the wiz. the wiz was a great film. i really enjoyed it. it had a lot of variety. tears, joy, and music. i really enjoyed the musical part. it was a great movie.

Life's Lessons Taught in "The Wiz"

Author: (equilibrium7@hotmail.com) from New York, NY
13 November 2000

This movie is EXCELLENT! This is a great movie for both children and adults. Whenever I feel as though I've lost my way from "home", this movie gives me the motivation I need to get back on track. I recognize that if it were not for "The Wizard of Oz" there might not have been "The Wiz", but honey, the "TWOO" ain't got nothin' on the "The Wiz"!

a GOOD cREEPY mOVIE, Kinda like watching return to Oz except with darker cinematography

Author: Dark Night from Inglewood
22 June 2000

Tw Wiz is an excellent movie, Don't let anyone tell you differently. It succeeds as being one of the few musicals of recent times that actually were good. The story extremely creative, I mean come on putting a urban twist to the original Wizard of Oz is not easy, and anyone who thinks it is I'd like to see you try to do it.

Anyway the cinematography is really dark and somewhat creepy (in a good way). The imagery of this movie is absolutely unforgetable. Key scenes to look out for are the Subway scene, the flying monkey's scene, and big show down against the fat evil witch.

Oh and if your still having a hard time considering to rent this movie, It's ok it probably wasn't meant for you to appreciate anyway. Or if your having a hard time understanding the movie just tell yourself it's a Blaxploitation version of The Wizard of Oz and that the intended target audience is meant for a culture that your obviously not apart of.

p.s( the good witch of the East that looks white, isn't white at all she's a famous black singer/actress that goes by the name Lena Horn... for those of you who don't know)

Page 12 of 16: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]