IMDb > Special Olympics (1978) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Special Olympics (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A Very "Special" Movie indeed...

Author: Albert Owen from United States
25 January 2013

This had to be one of the best made-for-TV movies I had ever seen before in my life.

"Special Olympics" is a very moving, touching, full of emotion movie that would make even the hardest, toughest, meanest person shed a tear. I know I shed close to a hundred while watching this. George Parry's acting as Matt was second to none. Although some big name performers like Debra Winger, Mare Winningham, and Charles Durning acted in this, the presence of Parry makes this film light-hearted and very enjoyable to watch.

I had this movie on VHS but had lost it during my divorce in 2007. I do highly recommend it. The story is very heart-wrenching, powerful, and definitely a very "Special" movie indeed. I remember when it came out on CBS back in 1978 it was called "A Special Kind of Love". This is also one I recommend parents show to their children in order to show acceptance to those who are not like us; it is better than some of the other shows/series on today's TV.

Give "Special Olympics" a look; you won't be disappointed.

Choices

Author: beanncheese7 from United States
26 January 2014

This is a beautiful, loving, fun, simple movie that makes you feel good about being human. No agenda other than to share tender moments about life and reflect on intrinsic values. I was twelve years old when I saw this movie and it's indelible impression on my soul is forever appreciated. For me, one of the key plot lines was the old brother's coming of age during that last but most important year of High School. The difficult choices having to be made associated with peer pressure, ego, girls, etc. and all the while hoping he realizes that it's Mare Winningham's character he really desires and not Debra Winger's. Did I say this was a simple movie? This is one of those movies that will inspire you to believe in people and understand we're only human.

It made me wish I was special

Author: Rembert from Los Angeles, Ca
28 February 2003

It was an awesome sight to see these challenges being completed in such a way. I cried throughout the entire story, i feel overwhelmed with sorrow and joy. This TV show should have never been cancelled, well..... maybe it was a good idea after all.

Watch out Coppola, the Special Olympics are on its way.

Author: Ben McDowell from Baker Street
5 June 2001

There is only one way to describe this movie, and that is magic and purple. Not the kind of magic, where people wearing suits pull out rabbits out of their hats, or wait in line to purchase sixteen items in a fifteen-item-only express lane at a local grocery store, no sir. Nor the kind of purple that reminds you of the fruits: both grape and raisins at the same time. That requires skill. Yes skill, a noun that can never be used to describe this made for TV movie. But anyway, with the magic, this movie will make you want to buy tickets to the next local Special Olympics event and a gallon of 2% reduced fat milk for your neighborhood cats. It is that powerful, I kid you not!!! Yes I am telling you the truth so much, that it is necessary to use those three exclamation points. The only thing that this film lacks is descent acting, a music score, a plot, a barber shop quartet singing "Old Man River", a gerbil playing a banjo, and a reference to the Civil War. In conclusion this films reminds you, "That is not polite to stare." :)