IMDb > Sextette (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Ultimate vehicle for the creator of 20th century Sex

Author: scarab-4 from Austin, Texas
27 May 1999

The ultimate vehicle for Mae West. Sure to be misconstrued by those who do not realize what Mae was up to, this campy delight is a true gem from the '70s. Part of the fun is watching Mae West's unconcealed joy in rolling out her legendary lines (and legendary body). The gleam in her eye as those droll words trip off her mischievous lips is delicious. To realize that here is The Female who caught onto sex at an early age and worked it for all it's worth is to appreciate this legend at her peak. Fans of Richard (all right, Ringo) Starr, Walter Pidgeon, George Raft, George Harrison, and Tony Curtis will appreciate their patsy cameos opposite irresistible Mae. The godfather take-off is a scream. Mae West always fancied her singing voice, and whenever this film allows it, she delivers: "Happy Birthday (Twenty-one)" and "Babyface" will never be the same. Surprisingly well produced and directed, here's an example of the vanity film at its best. Leaves you wanting it to go on, and on, and on. C'mon on up and see it sometime!

MIGHTY, MIGHTY MAE WEST!!!

Author: (yolandadare@yahoo.com) from USA
23 October 2003

Ok, I have seen all the negative comments here and I do say that I agree with Ray Pierce, Planet 9, Sex-symbol fan and others that the attackers who attack this movie are age-prejudiced sickos.

I actually got to meet Mae West when I was only 16 years old in 1979! I waited for days in the lobby of the Ravenswood apartment building where Mae lived (I lived in LA then). Finally the magic happened and believe me it WAS MAGIC!!!! The guy at the desk set me up to meet the GREAT MAE and UP I went...to the sixth floor to that famous apartment where Hollywood's GREATEST sex symbol lived.

It was NOTHING but PURE MAGIC!!! I could not believe how sweet and WONDERFUL Miss West was (especially to see a young girl like me). She was in her eighties. but I have NEVER seen a MORE beautiful looking woman than she was!!! She was so alert, so kind and nice that I could not believe it!!! I could NEVER believe her age, because she had absolutely FLAWLESS skin ALL OVER her body!!! She let me inspect her hair, her teeth, her skin and she was just like a baby!!! Baby soft skin, amazing energy, wonderful THICK hair and she proved ALL THE LIES about her were just that--A BUNCH OF LIES!!!! She was extremely witty, extremely intelligent, EXTREMELY ALERT and she knew what she was talking about!!! She was actually a VERY tiny woman, although she photographs bigger. Her body was fantastic!! I was amazed at 16 years old. Here I was at 16 and I was flabbergasted by this amazing, TRULY ASTONISHING woman!!!

She signed an autographed picture for me (which I still have) and I actually nearly fainted from the experience. ALL THE LIES TOLD ABOUT MAE were PROVEN to be just that when I met her...NASTY LIES!!! I will NEVER FORGET this woman, will NEVER, EVER see another person who has such STAR QUALITY as long as I live!!!

Now for the movie. Mae told me she did this for her fans because they kept writing to her asking her to do something else and so she just decided to do it!!! I did see Sextette at the premiere in Hollywood and it was an event that will NEVER be equaled!! People were climbing up the telephone poles to try to get a better look at her (that does not happen with other stars)! When she came on the stage (personal appearance) the fans went nuts!!! It was awesome!!! There were guys there dressed in drag as Mae and it was something that can never be forgotten. People actually stood up and cheered when she came onscreen!!!

This movie is MUCH BETTER than many give it credit for and lots of critics and books have called for a re-evaluation of this movie! It is cool, MAE was COOL and there will NEVER, EVER be ANYONE LIKE her EVER AGAIN!!! She must have been an angel or something, but all I know is that "Goodness, DEFINITELY had something to DO WITH IT"! I LOVE YOU MAE WEST!!!!!

How bad can a movie be? This bad

Author: jjnxn-1 from United States
16 May 2013

Horrendous vanity production is of interest only to show how an out of control ego and years of self delusion can lead to a public shredding of an carefully constructed image. Mae is supposed to be the adored object of the world but her teetering presence and ossified appearance cause the viewer concern for her well being more than anything else. After decades of carefully maintaining her public persona she was somehow induced to return to the screen to sully her reputation with the double whammy of Myra Breckinridge and this abominable travesty. A horrifying train wreck of a film only to be watched by someone with a love of bad, really bad, cinema.

I must have watched another film to some other people

Author: dan-1071 from England
14 April 2005

There is little I can add to a review of this film other than what has already been said by some others, some of which I agree with and some of which I don't.

After reading the reviews on here, I watched the film again to see if I was missing anything or seeing things I shouldn't but my opinion of the film remains the same.

Some of the performances are on the poor side of mediocre but West and Dalton are very definitely not in that category.

Unlike another reviewer has stated, Dalton was not dubbed for the duet. He actually recorded the track and then mimed to it on screen. It's the way tracks on all screen musicals are done, only in the theatre do the actors sing live and these days even that's not always the case throughout a whole song.

The line referring to Timothy Dalton's character as "England's number one spy" and "even bigger than 007" is seen by many as a coincidence 9 years before he was to go on and play the character, just the same as the reference to his character in an episode of "Charlie's Angels" as being a "James Bond-like figure", but by the time Dalton made both these appearances he had been offered the Bond role twice and turned it down for being, in his opinion, too young.

Anyway, back to the film. As I have said, I have thoroughly enjoyed it every time I have seen it (not that I sit there and watch it con continuous loop). West may be a little slower with her lines but she still delivers them convincingly, Dalton is entertaining and not just the eye candy he could have been in this film and there are some good contributions from the supporting cast. There are a few lame moments and some pedestrian scripting in parts but there are some choice moments such as West's already quoted "It ain't opportunity" line as well as the moment when Deluise knocks on the door telling West he has something urgent and West points at Dalton lying in bed and asks "Urgent? And what's that, chopped liver?" Quite! The punchbag sketch gave me the biggest laugh.

By the way, I agree that it is a disservice for IMDb to include a rumour as fact in the trivia section but this is unfortunately far from the only incidence of this on the site. Going back to the subject of James Bond, it quoted that Pierce Brosnan was the original choice for Bond in 1986 but had to turn the role down due to his "Remington Steele" commitments when the fact is that Brosnan was the THIRD choice after Dalton had turned it down again, this time due to the film he was working on having no set date for completion, and the role was only offered to Brosnan after it had been categorically turned down by the second choice, Sam Neill. This practice is sadly to the detriment of all the news that is reported on this site and subsequently shown to be accurate.

Anyway back to the fil. This film is generally far more maligned than it deserves and for all the wrong reasons. It is just a good bit of fun. I don't think it was ever meant to be seen as a cinematic, comical or musical epic but a complete nightmare it isn't.

Like watching a train wreck - it's horrible, but you can't take your eyes away!

Author: Dan (global_dan@yahoo.com) from Sydney, Australia
16 March 2003

A lot of famous actors have ended their careers with atrocious movies, and this would have to be the high water mark. As a friend said, Mae must have been senile to agree to appear in this, otherwise how could she have let people put her through this?

The plot, for what it's worth, involves Mae's wedding night to a British noble young enough to be her grandson (played by Timothy Dalton) interrupted through the machinations of her agent by some of her ex-husbands, such as Ringo Starr, George Hamilton and Tony Curtis (who plays as if he truly appreciates the absurdity of the venture being undertaken), the search for a tape of her memoirs, and Mae somehow salvaging global peace at a diplomatic conference held at the hotel in London she is staying at. Cameos from others such as Rona Barrett and George Raft (Mae's first screen co-star in 1932, who grimaces through his scene with Mae in the elevator as though he regretted agreeing to do it) abound.

The story though is the least reason to watch. Rather, watching a mummified 86 year old hobbling her way through double entendres, holding herself up against candelabras during musical numbers and being treated by all and sundry as if she were Venus de Milo herself beggars description. A subplot concerning doubts about the sexuality of her new husband seems to miss the fact that doubts about any of the performers' sexuality would have to exist, not least a ludicrous number where members of the American athletic team cavort adoringly around Mae.

The director seems to have made a conscious decision to film scenes in such a way as to minimise Mae's screen time, and when she is in view of the camera it makes sure that it never gets too close. The fact that Mae appears to have dunked her head in a bowl of make up and is filmed through what appears to be guaze seems to indicate that all others concerned were at least trying to take pity on the poor woman while at the same time humoring her.

The musical numbers themselves are side splittingly funny (it's hard to pick a highlight, but one number which could best be described as Mae West does disco would have to take the cake!), Mae's costume changes look like an expensive Edith Head designed drag show, and Mae cracking unabashed double entendres while staring cross-eyed through heavy lids ("I want them to say the British are coming") is mind boggling. Mercifully the audience are spared a sex scene, or even a kiss between her and Dalton, which would have crossed the boundaries of good taste.

I can't begin to comprehend who thought this could be a good idea (if Mae wasn't senile, let's hope she was extremely self-deprecating) but I honestly can't understand why this movie isn't more of a cult classic. I gave it one star but it is so bad it's good. It's like watching a train wreck - no matter how bad it gets, you keep watching because you know it's going to get worse! I need to watch it again this time looking for the evidence of Mae using a cane and having an ear piece through which her lines were fed to her.

Entertaining and Fun

Author: moonmonday from United States
3 April 2011

Some people have gone to great lengths to belittle and to insult Sextette and its stars, and their performances. To be honest, I think the only reason that they have done this is because of the ageism inherent in mainstream culture; they find it impossible to accept that a person over a certain age can still be sexually active and lively.

Such is the case with Mae West, who looks incredible for her age (mid-80s at the time of filming!), and who plays Marlo Manners, siren of the silver screen. Never once is it said that she is supposed to be some kind of twentysomething, nor would it be logical to assume. She wasn't that age at the height of her popularity! The script itself pokes fun at everything, and Marlo as a character is not exempt to this. Many people who have seen Sextette seem simply to have missed this fact, probably because they were determined from the outset to dislike the film.

It's actually quite funny and very entertaining, and there are some poignant moments. I beg to differ with some of the reviews that insist that poignance is out of place -- in fact, there are a few instances in the film where it's clear that is what is supposed to happen. It's mostly laughs and silly, mildly naughty fun, and wickedly clever. But at the same time, there are points where the viewer is moved a little by the circumstances. Just a little. But it's there. And it is always impossible, regardless of that, to ignore or dismiss the fact that this was Mae's last film, her farewell to her fans, giving them a last hurrah to make them smile. That makes it even more special.

One cannot help but wonder that some of the comments made by Marlo reflected that Mae intended for this to be her last film from the start and decided simply to go out with a bang -- double-entendre intended! Surrounded by handsome and capable male co-stars, all giving enjoyable performances, who wouldn't be pleased? It's a nice legacy, even if it wasn't She Done Him Wrong. It's certainly better than having her last appearance be the abysmal, homophobic Myra Breckinredge, which she was extremely unhappy at being a part of, even if she was the only good part.

The costumes seem to support this, with their emphasis on fabulous finery of classic Hollywood. It's not like this was an accident. She would not have looked as stunning in the fashions of 1978 (which, to be honest, were rather atrocious), and there is nothing wrong with dressing in a style that suits rather than a style that happens to be popular at the time. She stands out, with her 'retro' elegance, which adds to the unique character.

People do get older. It's ridiculous that some people compare her appearance in Sextette to appearances forty years previous. Her confidence and wit are still there, and she lights up the screen every time she is on it, despite the strength of the supporting cast. At her age in Sextette, she was more than amusing, more than convincing, and more than capable. So she was a little slower-moving, a little less youthful and energetic, than she was forty years ago. Most people would be severely challenged to be half that capable in the same situation, acting or no! Sextette is a film that amuses and entertains, and that is a rarity now. It was a rarity even in 1978, when it was released. So many films and filmmakers, actors as well, forget that they are supposed to entertain. But Sextette is amusing throughout, and it is a film that I cannot dislike. People need lighthearted laughs, and Sextette has plenty of those. The wit in the script is tops, and it never crosses the line into anything tacky. It may not be an award-winning film, but who cares? Awards are largely meaningless. The important thing is to entertain and to amuse, and that is what Sextette does in abundance. Some people just need to dismount their high horses and remember what cinema is supposed to be in the first place.

Sextette is fun for most audiences. It occupies a proud position in my video library.

Dismemberment would've been easier to watch

Author: decroissance
13 July 2008

This movie is unreviewable. It was the most bizarre thing I have ever seen.

So, let's talk about Timothy Dalton! I didn't know this was a musical, so when he started saying the lines to "Love Will Keep Us Together", I thought...weird, that's that song. Then the music came on, and I thought, "...no. No! NO! He is NOT going to...NO! NO!"

It seems ironic that Timothy Dalton's career survived this, only to be derailed by Scarlett 16 years later.

Another odd note to his career is the number of times he's played roles that spoof James Bond. Even before he actually made the Bond films. Besides this movie, there was a Charlie's Angels episode. Then, after Licence to Kill, he played a Nazi spy in The Rocketeer, a Bond-type actor in Loony Tunes: Back in Action, and then, a bad guy in Hot Fuzz, with Bond references in his last sequence. Hysterical.

So that's five spoofs, versus two actual Bond movies. It's weird. This guy was meant to be Bond from the beginning -- Albert Broccoli was dying to have him -- but U.S. audiences didn't get it, and lawsuits prevented him from doing the role again while he was in his prime. What does it mean? And then he did Scarlett, in which he held a plastic bag over the head of his career. He appears to have issues with James Bond.

But back to this movie. I used to be a Sean Pertwee fan, and he made some truly gross films. But none of his dismemberments can compare to Timothy Dalton singing The Captain and Tenille. The humanity.

This movie did hold my interest. I don't want to think about why.

Come Up And See Her Sometime...

Author: a bradford from United Kingdom
19 May 2005

I saw this movie on TV several years ago and thought that I would hate it after reading so many terrible reviews. It's true that this is a movie aimed mainly at Mae West fans and it was made about 40 years too late. But the production values are high and the acting is great. Mae looked good for her age and it was the only film offer she had received in a while. Like Mae said 'if I don't work what should I do, sit in a chair all day and rock'. The movie is good fun and it is nice to see Mae having such a good time. There were lots of stories being told at the time she made this about her mental and physical condition but these nasty stories which we all heard were proved to be false. Long live Mae

WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: planet9 from USA
15 September 2003

I was looking over the comments here concerning this movie and I have to agree with Planet 9 and others concerning Sextette. I was not very knowledgeable about Mae when I saw this movie. I did not know anything about her age, but I was ASTONISHED when I found out! I thought she was much younger in this film, and I do mean MUCH younger. Then I thought (especially after reading the comments here) what the hell does it matter about someone's age??? What difference does that make??? If someone is an older person that just means they have lived longer than a younger person. Make no mistake - we ALL get older (if we are lucky) but we are still the same person. I say HOORAY for Mae!!! She was wonderful in Sextette - so fun and good-natured. She was so witty and neat too!

This movie made me decide to watch her old movies and I was delightfully surprised at just how cool this remarkable woman was!!! Now I know what a legend means!!! What a super, SUPER star!!!! Mae West was the ultimate, cool, sexy blonde and she was absolutely a delight in Sextette!!! This movie is pure camp and after I watched her older movies I realized she was not only the GREATEST sex symbol in the history of movies-she was also the Queen of Camp!!! As Tony Curtis said in Sextette, `what a woman!' There will NEVER, EVER be anyone like her again.

It is truly sickening to see the so-called, self-professed `critics' here attack Mae because (and ONLY because) of her age in this film! She should be given the proper credit she richly deserved for delivering a truly MAGICAL performance. This movie has been attacked for one reason and one reason only-and that is age prejudice. What are these party poopers doing commenting on this movie and more importantly - WHY did they even watch it in the first place????

A person's comments about something reveals something about that person. When you see that a person is attacking another person directly and personally, well that reveals something very wrong with the attacker. I think that shows what is wrong with this country when a person is attacked because of their age (or any other reason for that matter)!!!

I never read such ridiculous crap before. Someone said Mae was walking with a hidden `walking cane' and all kinds of other stupid stuff. Then there were the comments about `soft focus' lenses and stuff like that. That is standard procedure in movies for women. Look at MTV. Do you think that those singers you love are not `soft focused' and a LOT more???? They are even digitally made to look younger now! Ha!

I did a lot of research and found out that most ALL the negative `fantasies' about Mae West commented on here were completely false and pathetic! If you people who have to attack others do not have anything to occupy your time, that is YOUR problem-stop attacking others that you know nothing about! This movie does NOT deserve the ruthless attacks it has received because of age-prejudiced imbeciles who have no life of their own. Remember this-what goes around, comes around and all the nasty idle comments you make to hurt someone else, is going to come back to you!!! You reap what you sow and a lot of the nasty "critics" here are going to really reap some harsh stuff!!!

Anyway, I really loved the movie; found it very unique and the reason for that was the EXTRAORDINARY, true LEGEND-the GREAT MAE WEST!!! She will NEVER-EVER BE EQUALED!!! Also one other fact-Mae West is the ONLY movie star in HISTORY to have her name in the dictionary-LOOK IT UP!!! `What a woman' for sure!!!

Well...Mae West...does her best!!!

Author: bruce johnson (bfjrnski@hotmail.com) from woodlyn, pennsylvania
7 May 2003

To truly appreciate "Sextette" one has to truly appreciate Mae West!And to truly appreciate Mae West one must know and understand her life and her persona!Just forget any other Hollywood actress!Mae West stands alone in a class by herself!She is entirely her own creation and spent her lifetime maintaining and nurturing that creation!There exists a few GOOD books about her!And even her autobiography sheds light on HER view of herself and her effect on the world(as she believed it revolved around her!) Mae West was a small,husky,talented,brassy girl from Brooklyn who decided early in life to become a sexy,living legend long before she finally arrived in Hollywood (at age 39) She succeeded at a time when overweight and overaged leading ladies were unheard of!(they still are!) Everything from her golden hair,her hourglass figure,her purring voice and sassy,hip-swinging strut she devoloped through years of self-discipline and self-worship!By the time she became a world-famous movie star she was already in her 40s,wearing wigs,corsetts,wedge-heels,practicing exercises and birth-control devices decades ahead of her time! Which,of course,brings us to "Sextette" Based on a musical play of her own creation it would seem almost inconcievable to have anyone else portray her character!And remember,Mae West WAS her own character!The blond wigs,slinky gowns,diamonds and furs were STILL part of Mae's everyday persona well into her 80s!This was a woman who never had children nor cared for anyone but herself!SHE BELIEVED in her ageless,sexy siren and all that came with it!By all accounts Mae was remarkably agile and well-preserved!It would have been nice to have seen her WITHOUT the gauzy photography and artificial get-up!

Page 2 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]