The One and Only (1978) Poster

15 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
A Diamond In The Rough
rdi21014 March 2005
This movie is a perfect example of a film that divides people into 2 groups.. Those who get the joke and those who don't. People usually attack what they don't understand. This film has a comic style and charm that has been unparalleled since. It's a GREAT comedy.. and a GREAT romance. It's a perfect date movie. A perfect movie for someone who wants a good lighthearted laugh. And if your perspective is too tense, maybe this movie isn't for you, and you may need counseling. It is an injustice that Paramount has kept this film on the shelf since the early 80's, having never seen the light of day on DVD. Yet they feel an Urban version of "The Honeymooners" is a good idea. I find it odd that my two alltime favorite romantic comedies have never been released on DVD. The other being Gene Wilder's "The World's Greatest Lover" which Fox has sat on since the early 80's as well... Yet, "From Justin To Kelly" is in nearly every video store in the country. There is no Justice in the world. Maybe those who took the time to bash this will enjoy "From Justin To Kelly", I'm sure that one is watered enough for them to "get". Sometimes with age people lose their sense of humor... Or sometimes it just goes stale and they find comic satisfaction in reruns of "Full House".
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best professional wrestling films period.
memberofwo28 June 2000
The One and only was a great film. I had just finished viewing it on EncoreW on DirecTV. I am an independent professional wrestler, and I thought this was a good portray of what life is like as a professional wrestler. Now this film was made 4 years before I was born, but I don't think the rigors of professional wrestling traveling has changed all that much. Sad, funny, and all around GREAT!!! **** 10+
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The whole cinema was in uproar with laughter
bill-roy8 January 2006
I saw the film twice in the space of one week, both times the at a cinema in Orpington, Kent, UK. The place was packed both times and people had to be turned away. From the start of the film with Henry Winkler getting 'injured' on the football field the whole audience was in uproar with laughter, laughter that lasted until the credits.

For those who love American wrestling this film is a must, but be ready to see Henry Winkler as you have never seen him before. Also look out for a very well known actor whose trademark wrestling move is a head-but!

If you get a chance watch this movie and it is family comedy entertainment at its best!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not only a great movie about wrestling, but about the people in it
batman_0947010 March 2005
...I saw this on cable back in the late 1980's as I was a big wrestling fan since 1986. I saw this on VHS in a 'for sale' bin and bought it.

In 1998, I started training as a wrestler after the Air Force and would always go back to watching this to see how it was a very accurate portrayal of people that are involved with wrestling ( families and friends that wouldn't understand us, the travel, the heartbreak, etc. ). Henry Winkler is funny and sometimes sad to watch as nobody else can understand what a genius he is creatively. A great way to separate himself The Fonz character he played on Happy Days at the time. Plus, look at the cast...William Daniels ( Knight Rider ), Polly Holiday ( Alice ), and wrestlers Roddy Piper and Chavo Guerrero Sr. If you get a chance, watch it.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hope it screened One and Only One Time
mercuryix4 September 2000
Possible Spoilers:

I saw One and Only when it first came out; I am a fan of Henry Winkler but this film almost turned me into an ex-fan; Winkler plays an obnoxious, self-absorbed acting student about to graduate with no job prospects. He does things like ruin his college play so his minor character can get a standing ovation, and try to rewrite scripts at auditions. Winkler tries to play the character as "brash", but it comes across as overbearing and obnoxious in the extreme. This movie came early in his career, and I don't think he would make the same acting choices now. He can't seem to get a job acting, and falls into professional wrestling as a way to fame. This is not developed to be as much fun as it sounds. His personality seems to fit the field, but success does not mellow out his character; towards the end he makes a charming statement to his fiance (who he stole with his winning personality from a pipe-smoking "nice guy" - big surprise): "If you don't stop thinking like that you're going to wind up an old single woman with a picture of JESUS on the wall!" said in absolute disgust. Even to an athiest this was an offensive moment in the film; it made one want to pour a bucket of water over this girl's head for being with this ass; and this is supposed to be a love story, with Winkler at the "hero". Creeps like this don't change; and girls keeping falling for them; though that's not the point of the film. If you can find the point, good luck. But there are 99.9% better films at Blockbuster, and all of Winkler's other films are better. Avoid - unless you like watching Herve Vellachez humping furniture. (Don't ask.)

Three out of ten stars.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What was I thinking??
lopingbuzzard29 August 2002
When this film hit the theaters in 1978, I saw it three times. But when I watched it again recently on video (a video that I BOUGHT), I couldn't believe that I at one time LIKED this movie. Winkler plays a totally unlikable character who never gets any better. Darby plays a dopey girl who, for reasons not addressed in this movie, falls for the obnoxious egocentric jerk.

I chuckled maybe twice during the whole movie. The rest of the time I was wondering how anyone could fall in love with someone who cares about no one on earth except themselves and how Carl Reiner got mixed up in this mess.

I was embarrassed to admit to my wife that in the late 70's I actually paid to sit through this tripe... three times! Foolish youth.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not as bad as it's rating suggests
RobP27 September 1999
While this movie isn't a classic by any stretch, it is very entertaining as I remember it. I saw it about 15 years ago on HBO and loved the movie. It was written by the same guy that wrote and directed "Arthur" and though it isn't as funny as that movie, it does show the potential that Steve Gordon reached with "Arthur".
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I'm gonna go with classic
Mr. Superbad17 November 1999
Well I guess it supposedly not a classic because there are only a few easily recognizable faces, but I personally think it is... It's a very beautiful sweet movie, Henry Winkler did a GREAT job with his character and it really impressed me.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Putting the early 1950s under Pro Wrestling Microscope
John T. Ryan31 October 2014
FOLLOWING HIS SUCCESS as show stealing character, "the Fonz" in the hit ABC Television Series HAPPY DAYS, Henry Winkler embarked on a series of starring motion vehicles. Taking a break from the more dramatic, Henry chose to do this Carl Reiner directed affectionate look at the early video days of guys with names like Gorgeous George, Count Billy Varga and Lou Thesz.

DURING THIS PERIOD and for some years to follow, the mere mention of the Pro Wrestling game would never fail to bring a smile to the face of whomever one was conversing. The appeal of the medium where sport & athleticism intersected the dramatic & theatrical had a very wide degree of aficionados from the blue collar to professional, from the laborer to the MD.

SO JUST WHO are these guys who get into the "business"? As in most rackets, there is no one single answer. There is not one single slot in which the "typical" grappler fits. Any attempt to pigeon hole the pro wrestler will find himself unhappily frustrated.

THE STORY LOOKS at how guys with disparate backgrounds are united in their interest and pursuit of success as a performer. Some are athletic, some are not. Some were football players, others dancers. Bodybuilders and the physically unusual all join with some who have no obvious outstanding bodily attributes. Some were even the products of a solid background in Amateur Wrestling!

OUR MOVIE UNITES Henry Winkler (Andy Schmidt) with Miss Kim Darby (Mary Crawford). The two do indeed make for an interesting couple; and it is a pleasure to see Kim Darby in any film; as she has done precious few ever since TRUE GRIT (1969).

IN THE PARTICULAR case of the Winkler character, he's an out of work actor and not much of an athlete. He is certainly not a subject who fits the 'ruffian' mode that so many exponents of the pro game.

ULTIMATELY, AT FILM'S end, we are all smiling-if not belly laughing; for in spite of some great and truly funny situations & gags tailored to the storyline, it is a call for inclusion o everyone in the family of man.

AND, MY DEAR friend, Schultz, that includes even people who wrestle for a living!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Love thyself .................
merklekranz24 September 2010
"The One and Only" is a movie that most likely had a difficult time finding an audience. It really is more a "chick flick" than a wrestling film. The first third relies on a lot of slapstick, but once Henry Winkler enters the ring, the frantic pace settles down somewhat. Quite a few character actors contribute, including Mary Woronov as a bar trollop, Henry Villechaize as a midget wrestler, and Gene Saks as a manager. The theme song "The One and Only" is quite good, as is the trip down wrestling's memory lane. Most of the laughs come from Winkler's enormous ego, and interactions with Kim Darby's Mother and Father (Mom and Tom). - MERK
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this