IMDb > The Last Waltz (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last Waltz

The Last Waltz More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 12: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

This is a great film about a great band, made by a great director.

Author: jasonrm2 from Wisconsin
18 November 2003

This film does a great job chronicling the entire history and career of The Band. The 35mm format makes the film that much better, and the intricate camera moves also elevate the experience.

It was called "the end of a generation." The final concert The Band would ever play. It was great.

Marty lets you watch the 60's die!

Author: yawn-2 from San Francisco, California
8 March 2006

A headstone at the end of the road.

In a way, this is the film equivalent of the Rolling Stone's weary, drug-addled 70's masterpieces like "Exile on Main Street." Man, these guys look TIRED. Not one is even 40 yet, but they all sound like they are speaking from beyond the grave. It's hard to imagine that this movie has inspired anyone to pick up a guitar and go on the road. It almost comes off as a cautionary tale, a VH1 Behind the Music without the second-act redemption. The stench of drugs, desperation and defeat are truly palpable.

I think the musical performance here is somewhat overrated (most of the many great moments are provided by the guest artists, not by The Band), but as a document of a certain moment in time, this film has no peers.

great music, lousy film

Author: Charles McGrew from US of A
14 December 2004

The Band was a fine group of musicians who put out some great songs. Marty Debergy (whoops, I'm getting ahead of myself) decided to film it in an apparent attempt to be more 'personal' than that of "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert", and failed utterly. Intercutting (including with hard audio cuts - I guess music is a visual medium to Scorsese) lame attempts at interviews (attempting, occasionally, to star himself), Scorsese manages to make a group of wonderful songs (and singers) into a fairly tedious exercise.

"Spinal Tap" (by Rob Riener) skewered this movie and its flaws so completely that I cannot even look at the title without thinking of 'Tap'. I bought the (triple - vinyl) soundtrack, and it is a much more enjoyable without any of the drek of the movie. Check that out instead.

For those who annouce this as the 'perfect' concert movie, I point them at "Rust Never Sleeps", made only a year later but a far better 'concert experience' movie.

Only if you LIKE The Band...

Author: teddyryan from United States
6 April 2004

THE LAST WALTZ is an enjoyable viewing if you're a fan of THE BAND and the performers that join them on their final show. Shot with 35mm and adorned with a magnificent stage design, the images are stunning. On the other hand, Scorsese's interviews are weak, his staged sequence of "The Weight" forgettable, and final montage a complete bore. Than again, not liking THE BAND makes me biased so I don't want to go on some ignorant rant.

I mean, I discovered Robbie Robertson is a cool dude, two members of the group have since killed themselves, and that Scorsese is a madman. Still, if you want a picture that truly captures the spirit of rock, let me suggest GIMME SHELTER. Although not as stylistically elaborate or well conceived, GIMME SHELTER is ten times more entertaining.

None better, very few close

Author: lawlibrarian from Kansas City
5 November 2002

Take a fine director, great camera work - at 35mm, mix with THE

BAND at their height and just about anybody who could play well

enough to appear on the same stage with The Band and you have

The Last Waltz.

Robbie Robertson and Marty Scorsese set the bar as high as it

could go with this film.

The DVD has some great interview material and a couple of

additional extras as well as really great sound!

If The Band, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Eric Clapton,

Ronnie Hawkins, Paul Butterfield, MUDDY WATERS!, Ringo Starr,

Ron Wood, Neil Diamond (?), Emmylou Harris, the Staples

Singers, Van Morrison and Dr. John are your idea of musicians -

this is your film!

Everybody is outstanding and The Band is on fire...but Ronnie

Hawkins and Dr. John give over-the-top performances in a concert

with nothing less than fine performances by all.

As a documentary it could have been much better but as a concert film it is really entertaining

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
9 January 2006

After 16 years together The Band decided to call it a day and got together for one final gig in the San Francisco club where they first performed properly as "The Band". Supported by a range of "friends" who may be recognisable to some sharp-eyed rock and roll fans, the gig was captured by Martin Scorsese as part of a documentary looking at the band and their final show called "The Last Waltz".

Although I know some of their music I was not familiar with The Band, so I came to this film on the strength of recommendations of other viewers who know what sort of music I like as well as the fact that this was a Martin Scorsese film. Despite that I immediately got into the film although I do recognise that those looking to this to fulfil the "documentary" side of things will probably be disappointed. In this area we are left with very little talking and, although it is relaxed and engaging, it is hardly that informative beyond providing basic information and the odd nugget here and there. No, this is not a "documentary" in the way that the term would suggest, instead this is a concert film and a very, very good one at that.

With a vast array of guests joining The Band on stage, this is an impressive gig. The songs are mostly memorable and there are very few performances that could not be described as at least "good". The list of names should be enough to interest you (unless you honestly have zero interest in the period or the type of music) as those popping up in support include Bo Dylan, Neil Diamond, Dr John, Emmylou Harris, Joni Mitchell, Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, Neil Young and Van Morrison to name a few. I cannot imagine many people struggling to enjoy the music and, if you enjoy some of it then you will more than likely just about all of it. The Band members are all impressive on stage and they also come over as very natural, chilled and funny in the interview sections.

Overall this is an impressive and enjoyable concert film. As an informative documentary it falls down by not having a lot to teach the audience, however this is a minor complaint because the interviews are still fun and the main focus of the film is the music. This aspect is great and I enjoyed almost all the artists and songs. Well worth seeing if you like great music performed by some great artists.

Intermittently watchable

Author: cwarne_uk
6 February 2003

This doc of The Bands' final concert is of more historical than musical interest. By 1976 The Band were at least 4 years past there peak and at times they give the impression here of a group that had played together just a few too many times. The interviews are shallow but Robbie Robertson still manages to come across as one of the smuggest people ever. It's worth catching for some of the guest performances - The Band manage to temporarily wake up when Ronnie Hawkins is on, Joni Mitchell is brave enough not to trot out a greatest hit. The highlight though is watching Van Morrison 'dance' during Caravan - a unique performance never imitated. The lowlight is some chap called Robert Zimmerman performing a bad Bob Dylan impersonation doing one of the master's greatest songs Forever Young. To some up an interesting look at mid-seventies rock aristocracy. Younger viewers might just feel that punk arrived just when it was needed most.

Delightfully surprised

Author: jjh6519 from United States
21 December 2002

I happened across this on Turner Movie Channel the other evening. It was shown in widescreen. I didn't recognize the musicians at first, and then I saw this great drummer who was also singing, and really belting out the songs! It was Leroy Helm, who played Loretta Lynn's Daddy in "Coal Miner's Daughter".

Then I heard the interviewer, and I recognized that voice. "Damn, that's Martin Scorsese!" I said out loud.

I was sorry I came in late on this, because the music was fantastic, and it was a thoroughly fascinating documentary about rock music. There were so many late 70's rock stars singing, and I was just sorry that Linda Ronstadt and Kris Kristofferson weren't part of it.

Disappointing hotch-potch saved by some splendid performances

Author: Jim McDonnell from Ireland
29 January 2001

I originally approached this film, 22 years ago, with wide eyed enthusiasm. Bob Dylan and the Band were personal heroes, as were Joni Mitchell and Neil Young.

Overall, I left the cinema in a somewhat deflated state. There was no doubting the charisma of Robertson, but he was not, for me, the heart of the Band and too much attention was given to him. The interviews were interesting but too truncated.

I was less than impressed by the concert footage. Whoever let Neil Young on stage in that state has a lot to answer for. Muddy Waters was outstanding as was Joni.

I have always thought Van Morrison a pain in the posterior and my views were confirmed here.

The Band itself was excellent and Dylan was awesome.

The surprise package of the night was Neil Diamond, a singer and songwriter whom I have often dismissed completely. His presence at the farewell concert was a major surprise (although I heard somewhere that Robertson had produced a couple of his albums). I was knocked out by his powerful rendition of a song, "Dry your eyes", that he co-wrote with Robertson. It is a pity that he has never really delivered on the potential he displays here.

The Bland?

Author: wideawake-1 from Albania
19 July 2006

I saw this in the cinema with some friends from college when it was first released. I could not remember any of it. I didn't try to. Now, about 28 years later, I buy the powered-up DVD version for half nothing and settle down to watch.

OK, get this out of the way first. One point for Neil Young: sings from the heart. One point for Van Morrison: sings from the soul. One point (should be several, but then you might get the wrong impression at first glance) for Muddy Waters: showing everyone how it should be done.

Who messed up whom? Did The Bland make a fool of Bob Dylan and turn that fine word-smith into another mediocrity straining after effect? Or did Bylan turn The Bland into this cod folk-rock band with a taste for everything and nothing?

Think about the campy stage set. Hey, what a send up! Someone knew what this junk was all about. Maybe a point for him too, yes?

The DVD goes to a charity shop tomorrow.

Page 11 of 12: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]