KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park

KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Author: hollandscomet from Raytown, MO
4 July 2005

Being a major Kiss fan, even I can't justify this abomination! 'Kiss Meets The Phantom' is definitely a candidate for the "so-bad-it-was-good" category. The acting in this movie was about as abysmal as humanly possible, and I'm not even referring to the band! I'm talking about the "professional" actors they hired for this thing! Apart from Anthony Zerbe's somewhat credible performance as the evil Deveraux (sp?), the rest of these stiffs--especially the guys playing the cops/authority figures--couldn't act their way out of a paper bag! I can't say I blame Ace Frehley and Peter Criss for not showing up for filming and/or looping--they were smart enough to see what a travesty this thing was. This film is best viewed after a few stiff drinks--even I'd love to see the "MST3K" crew skewer this turkey!

Bad does not even describe this

Author: (apeman@nhbradio.com) from United States
16 February 2005

I have seen bad movies. I have seen actors refuse to promote movies. I have never seen actors...and I use that term loosely with KISS here...refuse to allow their films to be released on video or DVD. Despite all the outcries, the guys of KISS will not sign the rights to allow this to be re-released on DVD because they know it is THAT bad. We tried to do a review of this on our radio show. No one could stomach watching it for more than 10 minutes without laughing or being sick, and THAT is bad! Blatant bad editing, terrible overdubs of audio...and forget any realistic or tangible acting. Gene Simmons went on to have a fair acting career, and has impressed me on occasion. But just like Jim Carrey never ever mentions Once Bitten in his credits...Simmons denies this movie exists, and I can't blame him. If you're feeling sick or just ate something bad, WATCH THIS FILM! It will make you empty the content of your stomach, either laughing or crying.

Pulls the trigger on my Turkey Monitor!

Author: Brother Kneumsi from Tustin, California
16 January 2001

There's little to redeem this film about Kiss fighting Anthony Zerbe and his evil robot monkeys. As a Kiss fan, I can't even recommend it as a greatest hits package as all the songs are truncated and cut in length. While the "Hotter than Hell" spoof known as "Rip and destroy" has some great comic value the rest of the film falters in the "for laughs only" realm as you just plain feel bad for the super stars landing themselves in a TURKEY like this one!

Let's just be glad that THE WHO never decided to do a TV movie for NBC! I shudder to think on it!

A Must See for Fans of Bad Cinema

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
5 August 2010

KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park (1978)

BOMB (out of 4)

The rock band KISS (Peter Criss, Ace Frehley, Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley) are about to do a concert at an amusement park but a mad scientist (Anthony Zerbe), who lives under the park, has created some weird robot-zombies who are going to kill all the fans. This made-for-TV flick has the reputation of being one of the worst movies ever made and it pretty much lives up to that label. I wasn't expecting too much but considering you've got a legendary band and a director who has made a few good films in his career, the train wreck that is this film is rather shocking. I'm not even sure where to start but I guess you can begin with the god-awful story that never really makes any sense as it's never too clear why this scientist hates the band. This film really seems like it was just shot on the fly because there are so many mistakes in the story that one really questions what anyone was thinking when they screamed action. Another problem, outside the screenplay mistakes, is that there are countless mistakes in the movie that make this seem like you're watching an Ed Wood film. Take the monsters for example. We have a werewolf and Frankenstein's monster but they're all obviously wearing fake looking Halloween masks and a couple of them look straight out of the film ORGY OF THE DEAD. Another major mistake is that there are countless action scenes where people get thrown around yet there's never any attempt to hide the strings and ropes that are pulling and yanking the people. The first time I saw the strings I was thinking it was just a simple mistake but it kept happening over and over to the point where I wondered what the heck anyone was doing. Another funny good if that Ace Frehley's stunt double was a black guy and it's not too hard to tell when he's on screen as they do very little to hide the fact that we've got two different color men playing the same part. I know this movie was meant for kids but that's really no excuse for how bad this thing is. Fans of bad cinema need to put this at the top of their viewing list because I'm hard pressed to think of films with more errors and goofs. It's really hard to imagine what was going on in the minds of not only the director but even the four band members. Many have accused them of being willing to make a buck for anything and I think this film proves that. All four are horrible actors but I guess it's not fair to judge the performances too bad since it's doubtful any of them were trying that hard. Zerbe has appeared in films such as COOL HAND Luke and THE OMEGA MAN and he seems to have no problem embarrassing himself. We do get some "classic" rock numbers like Rock and Roll All Night and Beth but it's hard to sit through 96-minutes just for them. If you're not a fan of KISS I can't imagine you enjoying anything here. If you're lukewarm on the band then the badness will probably have you hitting the stop button. I think the only folks who could get any sort of entertainment out of this would have to be those who need to see every bad movie ever made.

If it weren't for the music, this would be unwatchable

Author: Christopher Smith
5 September 2007

There are those out there that are, for whatever reason, lovers of bad cinema. These individuals thrive on collecting the absolute worst motion pictures ever made purely because of their awfulness. For those people out there, KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park is like the holy grail. It's very easy to find movies that are downright horrible today as the quality of film as declined in the past decade or so (at least my opinion), but finding something like Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park from the late 1970s, considered by many to be a Hollywood golden age, is rare. Granted it premiered on television in the U.S., but in other parts of the world it was given a theatrical release. Whoever paid money in the theater to see this has my sympathies as it is without question, among the worst productions one will ever see. Amateurish isn't the right word to describe what a disaster this catastrophe is to KISS fans like myself. The only aspect of value is that depending on what cut is viewed, there is classic KISS music played throughout the picture. I will give it this though: there has never been sci-fi/musical/superhero adventure like this since. It is unique, but not in a good way. This is what almost destroyed KISS forever. You've been warned. 2/10

Piece Of KISS

Author: Freya(sableOnBlond) the-real-roobeemoon from orbiting around Marz
3 September 2003

Yes - This movie did not do too much for the band KISS but it definately did not hurt them at all. Their fans still loved them and they could have been in a cartoon movie for all their fans care. I think this movie is a collectable for ANY KISS fan. Even if it is sort of silly. I like it because KISS is in it , not necessarily because it is a great movie. I think die-hard KISS fans may agree.

Great band takes bad advice.

Author: (Molsontx44@aol.com) from Long Island, New York
6 August 2003

The most successful band in the world at that time was presented with yet another marketing idea that was too ill conceived. This movie was too quickly put together, thrown together due to the limited time the group would be available to work on it. The effects were quite cheesy,considering it was the time of 'Star Wars', and the story was indeed bad. All the makings of a "Cult Classic". Gene and Paul- The only two members of the band with any work ethic whatsoever, chose the wrong time to attempt to make a movie. Peter and Ace were about to leave the group OR get kicked out due to drugs and self importance issues. Peter didn't show up for his voice looping, and Ace was, as usual, Ace. While this movie was Ill conceived, it is a fun collectors item for diehard KISS fans like myself.It's cheesy in a 'Flash Gordon" kind of way, but as long as you don't expect much, its a fun childhood memory. If you love KISS, add a star. 3 out od 10.

kiss comic book movie!

Author: vampi1960 from United States
14 August 2006

i was a huge kiss fan back in the 1970's,the music which drove my parents crazy and the bizarre make up made people think they were satanic messengers,not true.kiss was wild their shows were awesome and they are rock and roll icons.in this above average TV made movie kiss the collective;the demon(gene Simmons)star child(Paul Stanley)cat-man (peter criss)and space ace(ace frehley)do battle with a mad scientist (Anthony zerbe)and his androids,in true comic book fashion,there's robot apes,samurais,monsters,etc.its based on the marvel one shot comic book published in 1976.kiss was very very big in the 1970's so a movie was inevitable.watch for other big screen bad guy Brion James playing a security guard.as for gene Simmons he went on to star as villains in the movies runaway with tom selleck,and wanted dead or alive with Rutger hauer.i only wish that someone will release this on DVD soon. i still have a faded good times VHS copy of kiss meets the phantom. Anthony zerbe by the way plays the mad scientist with zeal.kiss performs a few of their hits like shout it out loud,beth,and rock and roll all night.if you are a kiss fan from the past or present watch this its a treat.its campy like the 1966 batman show.8 out of 10.

OO Beth what can I do?

Author: xbrad68 from SAINT CATHARINES, ONTARIO
26 February 2006

Kiss meets the phantom of the park is an entertaining movie that I saw on television. The highlight for me was seeing the song Beth performed with acoustic guitar.

Apparently a new American code made to sound British is "Bess knot 2 Guest a tit Fort at@t". President Kennedy said that "America will never start a (nuclear) war. I am not here to judge the love life of my Aunt QE2 whom I care about a great deal. Since Human life on Earth is starting over from very safe clones of JFK and QE2, the best that other people can do is add to their artificial intelligence computers because the creators of Humans are powerful enough to start life over again just as I described no matter what opposition they encounter.

Check out some of the Kiss band concert videos.

Disco meets a low low low budget Star Wars.

Author: bwild-1 from United States
9 January 2006

Let's just face it...the movie was cheesy, the acting horrible, the special effects?? Well kind of a disco, meets a low low low budget Star Wars, but we love it, and why? Because deep inside we are still fans of Kiss.

So say it with me, and, 'Shout it Out Loud' I am a kiss fan, I liked Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park and I am proud.

I still remember my friend and I putting on my sister's boots with heals,standing up a broom handles in waste baskets (for microphones) and strumming tennis rackets while lipsinking God of Thunder and about five other various kiss tunes for the kids in the neighborhood..

That wasn't over the top was it???

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]