KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Classic Fun

Author: Solnichka McPherson from United States
3 January 2005

Yes, this film (and I use that word loosely) is total cheese. But it's fun. The acting is horrible, the plot is a joke, and the scenery is antiquated. Yet it still has its appeal. Why? Perhaps because it's a time capsule from an earlier era, but also because it's innocent attempt to cash in on the band's popularity without thought or reason to quality. It's a reminder of the solo albums each band member released in the late 1970s: shameless market saturation.

A few standout scenes: the band getting "interrogated" at the pool by the cops, any scene with Chopper and his gang, all the live concert performances, all scenes with the band's talisman, the "Beth" performance. I could go on, but ...

It's so bad it is great

Author: dlaniado-1 from Mexico City
10 July 2008

This movie is so bad, that it is what makes it great. It will become a cult movie, very much like "El Santo" movies from Mexico. The apparently low-budget production makes you LOL at every instance where you see the improvisation to create pseudo-special effects.worth to see just to laugh and see Gene Simmons grins and expressions. The story is so lame it also makes you laugh. Songs aren't that well performed, but the apparently only chance you will have to see it will be on the kissology DVD, so that will provide other opportunities to watch very good performances from Kiss. if you wish to see a 60's quality movie made in the late 70's watch this one

Definitely Cheezy, But Memorable

Author: heekiesavin (heekiesavin@yahoo.com) from Boston, MA
24 May 2005

I can remember in 1978 when this movie came out. It was aired on October 29th, just 2 days before Halloween. The anticipation for this movie was kind of like being a kid at Christmas time. You know on Tuesday of this week that Rudolph is on Friday of next week. The days can't go by quick enough, and you anxiously await for it to finally air. Well finally, it did. At 12 years old, and being a huge KISS fanatic, that was the best movie ever. I can remember the next day, every kid in the neighborhood talking about the movie, and for about a week, playing KISS vs their robot doubles. To the hard core KISS fan, the tunes rocked. Rock And Roll All Nite started off the opening credits. Again....at 12 years old, it was magic.

Now enter 8 years later. The age of the VCR's, and cable TV. I had noticed in TV Guide that KISS Meets The Phantom of the Park was going to be on....next week. Just like 1978, I had to go through the anticipation phase again. But the night finally came, and I had the VCR and brand new tape all set. My movie finally aired. I watched it.......and it was totally and completely one of the most dumbest movies I had ever seen in my life. Needless to say....the movie didn't have the same impact on me as it did 8 years prior. I had come to realize that aside from wasting my money on a blank tape, I had just wasted 2 hours of my life that I will never be able to get back. The songs were still great, and the concert footage was good, but the acting was absolutely horrible. At least Gene went on to do a couple better movies a few years down the road(Runaway, Wanted Dead or Alive).

Because of this disappointment I experienced, I had come to the decision that I would never buy this video. I have since seen it on Ebay, record stores, movie stores, etc. And for cheap money at that. But I know deep down inside I'll either never watch it, or I'll start to watch it and get bored rather quickly. I find it better to hold it as a childhood memory.

In a note to the previous posting about Peter Criss' voice being re-dubbed because it was awful.....perhaps. The real reason is (as stated by Paul Stanley of KISS in the KISS home video Extreme Closeup)...the reason for the different voice is because....after the filming of the movie, the band had to go back to the studio to do what was called looping (re-taping their voices). Peter Criss would never show up, so another person had to do his voice.

Painful, Wonderful

Author: Joey Michaels (sadclownrep@hotmail.com)
5 February 2004

SPOILERS!!!

It take a rare combinations of elements for a truly awful movie to achieve legendary status. Most bad movies vanish into well-deserved obscurity. Sometimes, however, one is so bad that it rises above its own failings and turns into an inadvertently entertaining nugget of, well, not gold, but something precious. "Plan Nine From Outer Space," "Showgirls," and, yes, "Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park" fall into this category.

This movie is entertaining for all of the wrong reasons. I think it was meant to be a kind of drama or thriller or at least a movie that made Kiss seem cool. It turned out to be a campy nightmare of badly dubbed voices, embarrassing acting, cheesy stunts and (best of all) some of the most marvelously wooden dialogue this side of "Josie and the Pussycats." That Kiss survived to once again be one of the great rock bands is a testament to their musical prowess.

I watch this movie at least once a year, and there is a line in it - the last line - that is one of my favorite pieces of dialogue of all time. Alas, it gives away the conclusion and hints at a major plot point, hence the spoiler warning:

"He built Kiss to destroy Kiss... and lost..."

I mean, good writers can't produce lines like that. The more the pity.

I gave the movie 1 out of 10, because it deserves it. IMO, A movie should receive a 1 if it is memorably awful, as opposed to just dull and bad.

A Must For KISS Fans

Author: mrmakebelieve (mrmakebelieve@hotmail.com) from Phoenix, AZ
18 October 2003

A great slice of '70's "cheese". This movie really captures the feeling of what it was like to be a KISS fan in the '70's. What makes it even more fun is that KISS hates this movie. It's just a fun film to watch. The acting is wretched but the story is a blast - a kind of Phantom of the Opera in a amusement park. Ace and Peter were bombed during the filming of the movie. It isn't even Peter's voice in the movie. Great fun for the whole family or for the background during a 70's party!!

An unbearable piece of crap.

Author: Aaron Taylor from Ontario, Canada
16 August 2014

This "film" is an embarrassment to cinema, it makes the fourth Jaws film seem like an Oscar worthy picture. This movie represents everything that the band "Kiss" represent, which is mindless stupidity in a vain attempt to swindle money from their fan base. Much like the way Michael Bay treats the viewers of "Transformers" as mindless fools who will pay in as long as the CGI robots fight for 2 hours of the movie, Kiss knows all they had to do was show up on a film set and their fans would go crazy, name one thing Kiss has put their faces on which didn't sell, hell the Kiss Coffin sells, there are a lot of really Dumb people alive and Kiss takes advantage of these people. If you feel that you have respect for anyone in this hunk of crap band, please watch this movie, and then listen to their song "Great Expectations" because Kiss is absolutely the worst thing to grace entertainment.

The best and worst film ever.... With KISS!!!

Author: Ditchythered from United Kingdom
23 May 2007

This is such a terrible movie that i can't help but love it. It's so pointless! The plot is terrible, it looks like it was shot on a broken VHS camera by someone with a blindfold on. The acting really couldn't be any worse but the music is good apart from when the evil Kiss robots do a show. Can anyone tell me why Beth is in there, yeah it's a good song but it's not set-up, no-one comments on it and everyone is just posing... absurdly. The thing i love the most though is how Gene strides around in his platforms, he looks like he's been riding a horse for too long! It's such fun it has to be watched and absolutely essential if your in danger of taking Kiss too seriously...

These are the reasons why i hate this film and the reasons why i love it. Don't ask me how that works i'm as confused as you.

Wonderfully camp!!!

Author: lordzaphodb from United States
25 January 2007

I gave this a 10 out of 10 for campiness. This is a fantastic homage to the 70's. The scenes at the amusement park brought back memories of going to Ponchatrain beach in New Orleans (torn down in 1984 to put up condos sadly) I remember watching this at Halloween time when it was shown on TV. If you want to see it in it's greatest, get the old video version with Peter Criss' lines voiced over by another actor. A bit of a friendly correction to the comment above. The song "Rip and Distroy" was an evil version of "Hotter than Hell". A bit of trivia. When Gene jumped over the fence, he k/o'ed one of the cameras.I've got the DVD of this movie and I still watch it occasionally. Good stuff.

Better Than Expected

Author: the_kiss_army_45 from Canada
21 December 2006

Before I watched this, I was told that I was going to want to turn it off within the first ten minutes. But I watched it and actually got into it. The acting wasn't bad by most characters, the band members wern't that good at acting but oh well. I had a good laugh at the lame graphics, with the laser guns, flying and "powers" the band members had. It actually had an alright sort of plot with a good ending. The name of the movie could of been a little more creative (when I heard the name, I thought of "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein"). But overall the movie wasn't bad, the acting was alright, and I'm sure it was considered amazing back in the 70's when it came out. So I'm giving this movie an 8/10.

Great 70's Rock Movie

Author: t-demon from United Kingdom
5 December 2006

Kiss meets the phantom was OK as a TV movie goes..but the cinema version Attack of the phantoms was way better..The cartoon music that featured in the fight sequence's in kiss meets the phantom was dropped and music from the solo lps was added in..also there was many different scenes that wasn't in kiss meets the phantom,.. these was scenes that was deleted from the TV version,.. The opening scene in Attack of the phantoms,is of sam and melissa on roller coaster then goes into credits... other notable changed scenes is.. Abner & calvin on monorail talking about his creations... The talisman have flashing lights and smoke coming from them..Melissa leaving the park to the music of Hold Me Touch Me...Kiss on merry go round and amusement park footage at night to the music of Man of 1000 faces...Security guards being kidnapped by 17th century cavaliers to the music of Almost Human, ... Scenes in the Chamber of Thrills while fighting the monster robots is to the music of Love in Chains ,..Kiss fighting the Evil Kiss to the music of Kinda Sugar Papa Likes...Paul Stanley shoots the microchip of sams neck with the star eye, ...the end credits have Abner walking under the roller-coaster, this leaves the audience to believe that it wasn't him as an old grey haired man in the chair at the end but one of his cybernectic robot creations..God of thunder is replaced with Mr Make Believe as the end credits role.. This version of the movie has never been released on VHS or DVD... Released in 1979 by Avco Embassy Pictures....

Hope you find this useful kiss fans!!!...

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]