Jaws 2 (1978) Poster

As far as sequels go, this one deserves another bite!
Kristine13 April 2003
When Jaws was released in 1975, I don't think audiences knew what hit them. People were scared to death to go into the waters and Jaws became the very first summer blockbuster. As set by example by later Hollywood, it made money, WE NEED A SEQUEL. Well, Jaws 2 was an actual book, but why not capitalize on it's success? Jaws 2 actually is a decent movie, I don't know why this film is so picked on. I think because it does have a bit of a slow start, but the ending is fantastic. This was one of the first times we saw good looking teenagers terrorized. Arguably yes, it's silly to think the shark would come back for a second bite, but why not just let go and have a good time with this one? I went back for seconds and still like this movie.

Once again, Mayor Vaughn doesn't share Brody's belief that the town has another shark problem and warns him not to do something hasty. The following day, while Brody is in an observation tower, he sees a large shadow produced by a school of bluefish, which he mistakes for a shark. In his haste, Brody orders everyone out of the water and fires his gun, causing a panic. The town council fire Brody for the beach incident, with Mayor Vaughn being the only one to vote against dismissal. The next morning, Mike sneaks out and goes sailing with his friends, but has to take his young brother Sean along to stop him telling his parents about Mike's trip. But as they sail on the waters, the shark decides it's time for some afternoon lunch and terrorizes the teens. Martin realizes with his sons missing, they may be in trouble and goes to save them and their friends.

Does the movie have it's flaws; yes. The acting is alright and the plot is a bit silly. The beginning is a bit slow and the story isn't as interesting as the first film with intelligent adults as clearly this was made more for the scare and bringing back old characters for the fans. Not to mention that the boat scene was a bit sloppy where the dumb woman is grabbing a bottle of gasoline to light the shark on fire I'm assuming but looses her balance and dumps it on herself and proceeds to shoot a flare gun! Yeah, she had it coming. There is a really bad mistake caught on film when the shark reaches in to bite Michael, Jaws scraps it's mouth on the boat and the mouth bends as if it was plastic, lol. But one of the things I like about the film is that it still does give a good scare with the teenagers. Especially when Marge has to save Shawn out of the water and she can't get back up on the boat and keeps slipping, as you see Jaws going after her and it just breaks your heart when Shawn witnesses her death. Also I have a guilty pleasure for the actor Keith Gordon(Christine, All that Jazz, and Back to School), this was one of his first films and he does a very good job. The cast seemed to really click and did a good job working together. Plus you have to love how "marine" Martin Brody gets when he faces down Jaws for his last time and goes for that money shot. Jaws 2 is definitely flawed, but honestly a fun film that too many people judge harshly. I think it's just a fun popcorn flick that you need to let go and just have a good time when sequels had good intentions.

36 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pacing could have been more tight, but it's often suspenseful and exciting.
jiangliqings18 May 2001
*** out of ****

As a sequel to an immensely popular classic, Jaws 2 had a lot to live up to, and while it doesn't reach the level of sheer terror of the original, it's still effective in creating thrills, some scares, and excitement. The biggest flaw is the pace, since the scenes on land drag on over and over. These moments hurt an otherwise entertaining and often fun motion picture.

The plot is mostly a re-hash of Jaws. It even takes place in the same town, Amity. It's been years since the first shark was killed and Chief Martin Brody (Roy Scheider) begins to have his suspicions of another great white in the vicinity when two divers are reported missing, a boating accident that results in the mysterious disappearance of a mother and daughter, and a killer whale washed ashore with large bites all over it. Brody voices his beliefs to the mayor (Murray Hamilton), who, along with real estate developer Glenn Petersen (Joseph Mascolo), disregard this because of the current production of a hotel on the beach.

Brody's constant paranoia of the situation eventually gets him fired. Meanwhile, his two sons, Mike and Sean, sneak off to sail with a group of other teens. When another shark attack occurs and is confirmed, Brody sets off to find his sons before it's too late.

I've heard a lot of interesting things involving the making of this sequel. Apparently, Spielberg and Dreyfuss were interested in returning, but couldn't due to their filming of Close Encounters. The original story was supposed to be more character-oriented, without as much focus on the teens in peril, but when Spielberg had to back out the studio executives got nervous and went with Szwarc to make a more formulaic and "effective" sequel. Roy Scheider would be the only big star from the original who would return.

I'm a huge admirer of Steven Spielberg's film, and it would be hard for any other director to equal, much less surpass, his filmmaking techniques. Director Jeannot Szwarc does an overall solid job here. He knows what made the first film effective and holds off long camera shots of the shark for a while (in my opinion, maybe a little too long). The beginning of the film does a nice job of creating interest and a good set-up is appreciated. However, this set-up goes on a little too long. A half-hour would have been just fine, but Szwarc takes nearly 75 minutes for the film to focus on the shark hunting down the sailing teens.

You may wonder why I voice my complaint for this when in the original the shark didn't make it's first full appearance until near the end. Well, in that film's case there were three great characters (only one of whom returned) and some classic suspense sequences to crank up the tension (Dreyfuss and Scheider's exploration of the abandoned boat, anyone?). While Szwarc should be noted for trying to build up momentum, he slows down everything a little too much and thrill seekers looking for non-stop action may find it disappointing, and it might be more up their alley to look for Deep Blue Sea (which is considerably faster moving, though is an overall weaker film).

It is initially interesting to see how this sequel builds up its story with such scenes as the examination of a dead killer whale and a diver who runs into the shark, and it is quite entertaining to revisit Amity again, but Brody's constant back and forth debates with the town committee get tiresome after awhile. We know he's right and they're wrong and the film makers should have realized that these arguments get old quickly. To be fair, Scheider's performance does put in a bit more tension into these scenes, but it takes something more clever than that to keep things moving at a brisk pace.

The film does finally get moving in the last 35 or so minutes, and it's in those moments that make the film the overall effective sequel it is. The constant shark attacks deliver the goods. Szwarc knows how to milk tension into these scenes and doesn't disappoint. The finale is particularly an exercise in creating seat-gripping suspense. It's almost a match for the conclusion to Jaws. The final showdown between Brody and the shark is just as memorable and edge-of-the-seat as his final confrontation with the other great white in the original. John Williams' score is as effective as ever and serves to heighten the tension factor by a notch.

Admittedly, there are some implausibilities abound. Great whites aren't nearly that aggressive and for one that eats as much as it does, it's really quite hungry. The shark even pulls down a helicopter in one scene to presumably eat the pilot (In the TV version, there's an added scene of the shark trying to chomp the pilot). Brody's plan to kill the shark relies on quite a bit of luck, though I won't complain as much about this since it is the film's highlight sequence and is an example of masterful direction.

Most people tend to ridicule the visual effects in the Jaws series. In my opinion, they're more effective and significantly better than CGI renditions of animals seen in the more recent thrillers like Deep Blue Sea, Anaconda, and Lake Placid. Szwarc's high angle shots of the great white are the best, evoking a sense of terror by just looking at the top of this ferocious animal. With an animatronic shark, it's not nearly as mobile as what can be rendered by computer technology, but it beats having the animal look like a refugee from a video game. There are also other things that set this film above those aforementioned movies, such as restraint, seriousness, and no annoying over-reliance on mostly unfunny self-deprecating humor.

To mention how effective the script is would probably be a moot point. Anybody watching this movie wants to see it for the shark attacks. Howard Sackler and Carl Gottlieb do a reasonable job of repeating what was successful in the original story without completely ripping it off. This time around, there's no compelling monologue like Robert Shaw's retelling of the fate of the men on the U.S.S. Indianapolis, but the screenwriters can be credited for not writing any laughably ludicrous dialogue. When the stranded teens argue, everything they say is reasonable within the context of the situation they're in.

The film's performances are overall decent. Roy Scheider has always been one of my favorite actors; he's easily the best here and is very good as the man determined to save his sons. Martin Brody is still by all means a great character, and Scheider's portrayal of him as an everyman caught up in a terrifying situation makes it extremely easy to sympathize with him. Lorraine Gray is decent as his wife and though she gets more screen time than before she's still not given a chance to fully flesh out her character. And, boy, we all saw her character develop in Jaws the Revenge, but we all know how that turned out. Murray Hamilton and Joseph Mascolo are appropriately sneaky and sly as the town mayor and real estate developer. They're really not so much people as they are those who have to be wrong all the time. It's a cliche, and it's not as effective as it was in Jaws. I can't really say which actor who portrays the teens does the best job. They're all fairly equal and they are pretty good at not annoying us, which makes it easier to feel for them when the shark attacks begin.

It's basically like this: when the film takes place on land, it's sometimes slow-moving and not always interesting. When it's on water, it's often exciting and tense, with suspense that sometimes equals the original. It's definitely not as great a thriller as Jaws, but it is a worthy sequel and certainly is better than the likes of Deep Blue Sea, Anaconda, and Lake Placid.
65 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Slow To Get Started, But Then Has Some Bite
ccthemovieman-113 December 2007
No, this wasn't as good as the original, but it wasn't bad, either. In fairness, the audiences knew what to expect in this one and had already been shocked by the killer Great White Shark. Thus, it was no way audiences were going to react to the sequel as they did the first Jaws movie.

It didn't have Steven Spielberg directing, but it did have the same locale with same principal characters on "Amity:" mainly Police Chief Martin Brody (Roy Scheider), his wife Ellen (Lorraine Gary) and Mayor Larry Vaughn (Murray Hamilton) so one didn't feel as if this was a completely new film. There was continuity to it, and we have the same problem (a big shark eating people). The main difference is that it is just a few years after the first horrifying incidents.

This story mainly involves Chief Brody's teenage kids and their friends. Overall, the film moves a little slowly the first hour, but picks up dramatically in the second half. In fact, it turns out quite intense, just like the first film. The main mistake the filmmakers made - which they wouldn't do today, was that it was too slow for too long. That, and the fact that the area residents apparently had a short memory; unrealistically short.

Anyway, the shark looks more realistic.....and if you can hang in there, you'll be rewarded with some good escapist entertainment in the second hour.
43 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nothing will ever compare to JAWS, but this is a great sequel
Dan Grant28 June 1999
It's strange, I wonder how this film would have been received if it was directed by Spielberg instead of an unknown. Because this film is about as intense as they come. Granted, it lacks in the personal relationships and that is what made Jaws such the classic that it is. We all know that there is no way a sequel to Jaws could ever live up to what we experienced with Jaws, but this film is about as scary as they come.

Here, I must admit that the characters take a back seat to the shark. But is that necessarily wrong? We have already seen the shark in the first one so the mystery is gone, so now the only thing to do is make sure the audience is scared out of their minds. And that I can assure you is done with just as much perfection and attention to detail as the original.

Take for example the opening scene where two divers are looking in the Orca ( Quint's sunken ship from the first film ). They are playfully taking pictures in front of the sunken ship. Then suddenly, a shot from behind them, and the ominous music. You know they are going to be eaten, but the scene is done with so much tension and perfect pacing that you are scared all over again. And when the shark finally does strike, we experience that primal emotion all over again.

The story is a fairly simple one but affective at the same time. Brody ( Roy Scheider ) is convinced there is another shark in the waters off Amity and he is having a hard time convincing the town idiots that he is right. But this time his two sons are a little older and they will be involved in the final confrontation with the shark.

There is one other scene that I wanted to point out and that is a scene where a picture is being developed. Brody is given a camera of the missing divers from the beginning. The developer then tells him that the pictures are about to be processed. As he stands in the red room, waiting for the pictures to develop, he knows. He has that feeling. Something is going to show up on the picture. And sure enough we see it. The mouth. The black, doll-like lifeless eye appears in the corner of the frame and Brody knows. He knows what it is. This is such a powerful scene in the film and it is directed with such skill that it looks like it could have been directed by Spielberg.

I think Jaws 2 is a great film and it is just as scary if not a little scarier than the first, but what it lacks is that it's characters don't have time to develop. We don't care as much about these ones as we did about Hooper and Brody and Quint to some degree. But that is a small detail, because the film does it's job and that is to scare us. Look for one more scene where Tina and her boyfriend are boating by themselves. It will stay with you for quite some time.

Maybe if this was Spielberg's film he would have done something different. But the one thing he couldn't do is to make it more of a frightening experience than it is. So that is a compliment to Szwarc, I just wonder what happened to him. Because he has a vision and a style that is very reminiscent to Spielberg's original. If you haven't seen this by now, treat yourself to the first one and then watch this one right after. Especially to all the young people that are on the IMDb, Jaws is a classic piece of film making and I have said that it is the best film ever made, and it is. But if you want to be scared, Jaws 2 will fulfill that need just as well as the first and better than any film that has come out in the 90's.

And finally, has there ever been a better tagline in the history of motion pictures? Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...... Brilliant.
67 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An enjoyable underrated sequel that deserves a chance
Rocketeer_Raccoon5 October 2015
A lot of people come under the misconception that only Jaws is good while all the sequels are bad but that's not entirely true. Of course Jaws 3D and Jaws the Revenge are the ones you should definitely avoid at all costs but Jaws 2 is the one that gets under-looked and unfairly rated because of the bad rep the later sequels did. I assure you all, Jaws 2 is nothing like those said bad sequels films, in fact this film is actually as enjoyable as it's preceding film.

Like a proper sequel should do it directly continues from where the first film left off with most of the same characters returning including main protagonist Police Chief Martin Brody (Roy Scheider), he is just an excellent main character, it wouldn't be a Jaws film without him who has the unfortunate task of dealing with another man eating shark that is terrorising the sea of this island resort town of Amity. Although the film starts off slow but as more of the film gets going the better it becomes. I loved the moments when the shark kills the victims like a horror villain should.

Now of course Jaws 2 may not match up to the original film but at least the people who made this film actually tried to make a good film with a decent story. I enjoyed it and I highly recommend it, it's one of the many underrated sequels that should be given a chance.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I don't intend to go through that hell again!
Phantasm0110 May 2006
No possible way to be better than the original. No way. Because the original was basically a creative and productive fluke that became a staple suspense classic due to primarily two things: Spielberg's amibitious direction and Verna Fields' FLAWLESS editing. (She won that Oscar for a damn good reason.) "Jaws" was nothing but mistakes, but Verna Fields' editing covered up every single one. It's basically a miracle of film-making, now how can you surpass a miracle? "Jaws 2" does one thing EXTREMELY right: it spends time analyzing the trauma resulting from shark attacks, or people that have witnessed them. One of my favorite parts of this sequel is when Brody and some men rescue that girl whose boyfriend got eaten the day before. She was cowering under the rim of the boat the entire night, muttering incoherently, and nearly catatonic from primal fear. I didn't think a sequel to "Jaws" could invoke something so relatable. That right there gets my props.

A lot of reviews for this are too mean-spirited. They aren't necessarily wrong, but they just focuse on the superficial negatives. Watch the film, and a real story does emerge. Chief Brody, forever scarred by his aquatic showdown with Bruce, acts somewhat rash and a little obsessive, but can any one of us blame him? Spielberg put this guy through a wet Hell three years prior (see review title).

I'll just say some things I enjoyed about it. It's the only sequel that comes closest to reflecting the visual cadence of the original. Contrary to the above, it does have a nice style, and the photography might be the prettiest you get in the entire franchise. Why does a "Jaws" movie look so pretty? It is directed by a Frenchman, after all. Apparently, Jeannot Szwarc knew Zanuck and Brown by directing episodes of "Night Gallery" like Spielberg did, too. He pulls off some gorgeous and difficult shots in this film. (Keep an eye on the shark's POV of the waterskier -- it ain't miniature, it's full-scale live.) Surprisingly, the gore is considerably less than the original, which is basically a bloody mess of a film if you think about it. There is some nasty violence in it though: the attack on the boyfriend I mentioned before, and the girl that gets swallowed whole near the end.

Look, just have fun with the helicopter attack and the manic girl that won't stop screaming at the end. Love the shark the filmmakers nicknamed "Scarface" and the fact that he can survive an explosion being only inches away from it. But best of all, enjoy Roy Scheider giving his wife's boss some come-uppance with a parking ticket. "Jane Eyre" this film is not.

Ironically, perhaps the best piece of the DVD is the Behind The Scenes Making Of Feature. It is thorough, comprehensive, informative, and engaging as hell. AT LEAST as good as the "Jaws" Behind The Scenes with Spielberg and Richard Dreyfuss, which was exceptional. These "Jaws" crews know how to make something out of nothing, that's for sure.

Not necessarily essential, but still recommended.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Competent, yet totally unnecessary.
TOMASBBloodhound9 April 2006
It only figured that multiple sequels would be spawned from (at the time) the most financially successful film in history. Jaws 2 was not the least bit necessary in terms of story and character development. It's merely an opportunity to put the lives of numerous young characters in jeopardy before our hero from part one (Scheider) can paddle to their rescue. The film is technically well-done, and the action somewhat compelling. This film also made a fortune, but it had nowhere near the commercial or critical success of the original.

First of all, the acting talent of Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfuss is sorely missed. They tried to write the Matt Hooper character back in, but Dreyfuss was in the midst of shooting Close Encounters with Spielberg, rendering his physical participation out of the question. Roy Scheider is back, though. And once again he proves that he is in fact a hell of a good actor. He's the kind of guy whose character you always end up rooting for. This time we see a darker side of his Chief Brody. Convinced there is a new shark in the waters off Amitty, he presses the point so vigorously that he is fired from his job. Keep in mind, the same mayor (Hamilton) is still in office, and he's not the kind of guy who wants his beaches closed for any reason.

Despite losing his job, Brody is once again forced to dispose of the killer great white before it devours his teenage son's friends and their sail boats. The film has some good stunt work, and some memorable shots of the killer fish. There is decidedly less blood shown in this one. The original barely escaped and R-rating, and they were obviously not going to chance that again. There are still plenty of frightening scenes, though. French director Jeannot Szwarc is no Spielberg, but he does a decent enough job with the material. John Williams' music still rings true.

Speaking of the material, that's the film's weak spot. Sharks do not behave like killers in a slasher movie. They don't use strategy to hunt down their victims like the sharks in these movies. A great white shark is a powerful and dangerous predator, but humans are generally not on its menu. Jaws 2 is however, miles above the next two sequels in the series. Part 3 had only the 3D gimmick to fall back on. Part 4 is hardly worth mentioning unless you like to laugh at really, really bad films.

7 of 10 stars for Jaws 2.

The Hound.

Added Feb 14, 2008: RIP Roy Scheider!
23 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
No "Jaws" but not bad
jrs-82 August 2004
Was there ever a doubt that "Jaws 2" wouldn't stand a chance of equaling the original film? One could only hope that on its own level it was a decent film. And that is exactly what we get. To try and view this film and compare it to the original is an impossible task. The original "Jaws" is one of the great films of all time. Viewers need to approach "Jaws 2" with the first film completely out of mind.

The sequel picks up a few years after the first film. The setting is the same (Amity Island) and Roy Scheider is back as Chief Brody. Also returning are Murray Hamilton as the Mayor, Lorraine Gary as Mrs. Brody, and Jeffery Kramer as deputy Hendricks. Gary and Kramer have bigger parts this time around while Hamilton still mills about not doing much of anything as he did in the original.

The story this time centers around the teenagers of Amity Island headed by the older Brody sons (who are amazingly quite older then just the few years passed), particularly older brother Mike and his friends. They all like parasailing and you know what that means right? Early on Brody starts getting indications of another shark problem and takes his concerns to the town board and mayor. One of the biggest flaws in the film is their attitude, which is the same as the mayor's in the first film. Wouldn't you think they might have a little concern considering what had happened a few years earlier? The movie moves at a snail's pace for the first hour but things pick up in the second half once the teenagers take the sailboats out and realize the trouble that awaits them.

On the positive side the shark looks as good, if not better, then in the first film. It is completely convincing. Scheider gives his usual solid performance despite playing second fiddle to a mechanical fish. And the second half of the film is quite suspenseful at times. There is one shot that has to be seen to be believed. An unconscience Mike Brody is in the water with the shark fast approaching. His friends are trying to lift him into the boat. The shark comes out of the water and.... well I won't tell you what happens but I think it is the best shark shot in the entire series of "Jaws" films.

On the negative side the characters of the teenagers are pretty one dimensional and we don't get to know many of them well enough to care if they end up as shark dinner or not. One of the teens played by Donna Wilkes spends the last half hour doing nothing but screaming. The screams are so annoying either you almost wish she would fall in the water and be done with it. A scene with a helicopter in the water is as ridiculous as things can get. The ending (not revealed here) is a touch silly but if you think about it the ending to the original was no more silly.

In the end "Jaws 2" is a decent but not great followup. For those that truly dislike the film I invite them to watch "Jaws 3" or "Jaws: The Revenge". Those films make part 2 look like the classic the first one is.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worthwhile follow-up
Leofwine_draca8 August 2016
While not as impressive as Spielberg's classic shocker, this sequel still packs a punch and comes across as a solid example of a horror/thriller hybrid. There are no really stand-out memorable scenes as in the first film (the whole last hour on the boat was brilliant, actually), and there's also nowhere near the same kind of tension build-up, but for a monster movie this does fine: there's plenty of characterisation to build realistic characters; fine photography brings the beaches and ocean to life and give the film exactly the same kind of sun-bleached look as the first; and the film's central character, as played by Roy Scheider, is simply excellent.

This time around, Scheider's character is obviously more "seen it all before" and world-weary. Nobody believes him about the shark until it's too late, either, thanks to a well-executed false alarm on a crowded beach where he goes mad and shoots at a shoal of fish in the water. Scheider's skilled acting is what makes this film worthwhile and is where most of the interest lays; his multi-layered hero is given a heart, a fact which makes us care for his safety and well being. The supporting cast are also pretty good, with some actors reprising their roles (Gary, Hamilton), and other newcomers doing pretty good. My only regret is that some of the teen screamers go a bit over the top, where silence might have had a better effect they're keen to scream at the top of their lungs.

While the shark was kept hidden for most of JAWS, here the rubber model pops up frequently as a reminder. A jump scare in which a mangled, burnt body washes up on the beach to give Scheider a shock is a scene which equals the exceptional "head floating out of the boat" moment in the first film. From there, the shark is given free rein to attack just about anything, from a helicopter (hilarious moment) to boatloads of partying teens (and can we really blame it?).

While not as epic as the one in the first - how could it be? - this film's ending is still pretty good and sees Scheider once again going one-on-one with the beast. The shark's death is a fitting ending for both the monster and the film. The law of diminishing returns meant that the two further sequels got progressively worse and more cheesy, but JAWS 2 is still a respectable, well-made film which is well worth a watch for monster fans, and provides a worthwhile sequel for the first film.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Go Back In The Water.
buckikris7 August 2016
It's been four years since the Orca sank. When two divers come across it, they take pictures of themselves. The are unaware of the danger that is coming toward them until it is too late. On Amity Island Chief Brody ( Roy Scheider) is on his way for a grand opening of a brand new hotel. He is late getting there when he catches up with his wife Ellen( Lorraine Gary). It's a celebration and a huge deal for Ellen. The kids are all there and they are teenagers, except Sean( Mark Gilpin). Most of the city council is there including Mayor Vaughn( Murray Hamilton), Len Peterson(Joseph Mascolo), and Miss Amity Tina Wilcox( Ann Dusenberry), for the ribbon cutting ceremony.

The next day when Brody reports for duty he is notified about the abandon cruiser with the divers flag still up. When Deputy Hendricks( Jeff Kramer) who loves the boat launch jumps at the chance to investigate it. When Hendricks returns all he finds is the dive camera. Meanwhile, the kids are out sailing having a great time including Mike( Mark Gruner), Brody's oldest son. Everyone is enjoying themselves especially a woman on a boat with a water skier. Neither the skier or the woman aboard the boat realize the danger coming toward them. All of a sudden the skier, Terry, goes down. There is no sign of her, and the woman aboard the boat notices the half eaten ski. When she picks up the ski, the shark crashes into the boat. This alerts an older woman( Susan French) who lives nearby, Eddie(Gary Durain) and Tina. Chief Brody later shows up and has questions. He alerts Hendricks along with Red( The Old Man Of The Sea), He along with Hendricks then have to drag the bottom. They are at this forever, looking for the victims; until the bring up a power line with the wench from the bottom.

Still no sign so Brody goes to see Mayor Vaughn about what is going on. Brody thinks they may have another shark problem; but Vaughn brushes it off. Vaughn thinks Martin is crazy and jumping the gun. Later that day Brody finds one of the missing boaters; and the kids find a half eaten Orca beached. Brody calls Hopper, but he is unavailable, so they send Dr. Lureen Elkins to investigate. The measurements are taken, and she concludes it's either another killer whale or a Great White that has inflicted the damage. When Brody hears this he Beaches(grounds) his son no sailing. Instead he finds his son a job that will last until the beginning of the school year.

One day it's sun and fun at the beach; and Brody is up in the shark tower. When Vaughn sees this he alerts Petersen, they freak because they do not want to alert the visitors looking to buy property. It's not long after that Brody notices a shadow approaching. He jumps from the tower orders everyone out of the water, waving his gun and shooting. When he realizes his mistake, the damage is done. Later that night though new hope emerges. The photos from the camera are developed, one showing a picture of a shark. Brody takes it over to town hall shows the council the picture; but they refuse to believe it. Eventually they fire him because of the scene at the beach. Brody returns home drunk and Ellen is there with Hendrick's. It's an awkward scene when Brody hands over his badge to Hendrick's. The next day the kids go sailing including Mike and Sean. When Brody along with Ellen go down to hand over the police truck both of them come to the scene of a diving accident. A diver came up to fast after a close call with a shark. After hearing more about the accident from Hendrick's he finds out the kids went day sailing. He, Ellen, and Hendrick's leave to find the kids before it's too late. When they arrive and find Tina's sailboat, nobody seems to be aboard. Brody discovers Tina hiding in the bow of the boat. When they find here she is white as a sheet, her first words were SHARK. She is in shock Ellen, Brody, and Hendrick's comfort her until more help can arrive. When a big cruiser is alerted to come their way Ellen and Hendrick's are told to return back after rescuing Tina. It is now up to Brody to find the kids and save them before more tragedy occurs.

For a sequel I loved this movie, Hendrick's and Brody were my favorites in this gem. I believe sharks are fascinating creatures, but we need to be aware of the dangers they can pose to us. This DVD is full of extras including shark facts. Even though JAWS will be my favorite; this movie will still make you think twice before swimming in the ocean.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
As good as the first one..
adonis98-743-18650325 March 2016
Jaws 2 is the only good sequel after the Classic Original movie, Roy Scheider returns as Martin Brody and faces another deadly Shark that brings terror in the sea one more time. The cool thing i loved from this movie is the way the creature's face has been marked with a scar and the way it died was amazing and beautiful. The real question is tho is this movie as good as the first one? cause the reviews are pretty mixed well i tell you this Jaws 2 is The Dark Knight of the Franchise next to Jaws 3-D and Jaws The Revenge. Another thing is this movie scary? well yes it is if not as scary as the first one is definitely scary on it's own. This is a great underrated sequel and you definitely need this on your collection don't bother with the others.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This Time it's Kind of Personal!
MovieAddict201612 April 2003
A film like "Jaws 2" proves that we can, indeed, get too much of a good thing. Action and shark over substance and character development. Somewhere along the way "Jaws" went from being about deep, intelligent characters in intense situations to shallow teenagers in B-monster-movie moments.

"Jaws 2," or "Jaws2" (no space in between "s" and "2"), takes place four years after the horrid events in Amity, seen in the first film. Police Chief Brody (Roy Scheider, commonly mistaken for Rob Schneider with today's audience) is a veteran of a shark attack, of course. And like most sequels involving characters who once battled a beast of some sort and survived, Brody is now the official expert on sharks. When a boat blows up off shore, Brody suspects a shark. When a killer whale is found dead with chomp marks, Brody suspects a shark. Heck, you could blow up the state of Arkansas and Brody would probably think it's a shark.

Soon Brody loses his job because the town mayor (Murray Hamilton, reprising his role shortly in this film because he had to stop filming to attend to his sick wife) doesn't like poor Brody, even after the events of the first film. Then Brody's seventeen-year-old son goes out on a sail boat and before you can go, "Duh-duh-duh-duh" JAWS is coming at him and his friends. Brody goes, tries to save them, and you can guess what the outcome is.

Okay, here are some things I noticed that hindered this film:

1. The first thing that hits you over the head here is how this film is painfully a copy in every way of the first film, only about ten times worse. There is no suspense--they show the shark from the beginning on. In a documentary made just for the "Jaws2" DVD, the director says that "The shark has already been seen, so there's no suspense--you might as well show it." Well, this is a bit true--I hate when horror sequels wait till the end to show the creature ("Predator 2") even though we've seen them in the first. But the way they do it here is painfully un-suspenseful. The film really contains no sense of suspense.

2. You'd think that everyone in the town would have learned their lesson last time: Brody was right about a shark, and he saved the day. Here we see everyone turning back to their old ways and ignoring Brody. You could give excuses for this, but the fact of the matter remains: It's just another retread of the first film, done on a much lesser scale.

3. The shark here is shown too much--he looks like a rubber ducky in a bathtub. Kids scream as it attacks boats and helicopters--yes, helicopters (that looks strange on paper)--and the shark comes out of the water head first to swim forward. Now, unlike the first film where the shark was never shown very well--because of mechanical problems or not, they still didn't show it--they show the shark many, many times here. And unlike the first when they DID show the shark, in "Jaws2" they make the shark look utterly unrealistic. In the first the rubber shark swam like a shark--this thing swims like a giant piece of rubber in an ocean.

4. The director obviously went for action over story: Steven Spielberg masterfully crafted an instense and scary film, yet at the same time provided a very interesting character study. Here, we just see blood, guts, and big rubber sharks--something that might look good in a B-horror-movie, but not in a "Jaws" film.

5. What are the remote chances that another 25-foot Great White Shark (capitalized for effect) would be off the coast off the small town Amity twice? Perhaps this will answer that question:

After finding a killer whale, Brody asks a marine biologist (filling in Richard Dreyfuss' most-missed shoes), "You don't think if one shark dies, another shark could come and"--he gets cut off by the marine biologist, who says, "Sharks don't take things personally, Mr. Brody." Well, that's funny, according to the tagline for the forth film they do. Perhaps that is one of the confusing elements of this film. Is the shark attacking because Brody killed the other one four years ago? Or is it just an odd coincidence? We may never know.

Steven Spielberg had the smarts to move on after the first project, as did Richard Dreyfuss, and Roy Scheider should have said "no," too, because you can't flog a dead fish and expect people to jump. (Did that make sense? Sorry, I had a good catch-phrase in my head but it didn't come out right.)

The first film should have been a stand alone, but in the case that they should make a sequel to one of the most cherished films of all time, for heaven's sake, make it good!

So now I come back to my original question. What should my header be for this review? And then I got it:

"This time it's kind of personal!"

2.5/5 stars -

John Ulmer
60 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lacks Dark Terror Of The Original
Rob Crespino29 April 2004
While Steven Spielberg's "Jaws" a dark, scary, and gripping thriller, "Jaws 2" is a scary movie for kids who don't really want to be scared. The imagination and unique style that Spielberg put into the original is sorely lacking here; this is merely a teenagers-in-jeopardy thriller as hordes of sailboating teens are terrorized by the giant killer shark. Spielberg did not expose us to the actual shark until much later in the film, which added to the heightened tension. We see the shark up close right away in this film, and it's no sense of terror. The shark chomps on water skiers, attacks boats, drags a helicopter out of the air and into the ocean, snacks on scuba divers, and the day is once again saved by Chief Brody (Roy Scheider.) With all this chomping and chewing going on, "Jaws 2" is oddly ineffective and unscary. While alot of kids were genuinely frightened and scared by the original "Jaws," this sequel is more like a carnival ride that provides a few thrills but is forgotten after it is over. The music by John Williams is absolutely fabulous and the atmosphere is sunnier this time around, but "Jaws 2" fails to satisfy. It's just alot of kids screaming and falling in the water. While the original is a horror masterpiece, this is an O.K. film for squeamish little children.
23 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not as good as Jaws, but still a damn good film!
Barnaby Marriott17 May 1999
Steven Spielberg's Jaws is a classic piece of cinema. However, this sequel which was released three years later, is a very worthy follow up. It is just as suspenseful a movie, and should be applauded for NOT just copying the first one - I actually find it quite distressing, particularly in the scene where the kindly Marge is rescuing little Sean Brody. Roy Scheider, Lorraine Gary and Murray Hamilton all reprise their original roles will ease, and there is a terrific performance from Ann Dusenberry as Tina Wilcox (how on earth did Ms. Dusenberry NOT become a major star?!). Well worth seeing, but be warned - keep your fingers in your ears whenever Jackie (Donna Wilkes) appears onscreen!
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The mother of all sequals...
Thomas Connors Jr.12 March 2004
Jaws will always be remembered in history for so many things, but what I've chose to comment here, is about how sequels are now part of the main stream and how they are marketed. Planet of the Apes, and few other "franchises" had existed before Jaws, but none have been copied, parodied, or are engraved in the mind of the public as the Jaws franchise. Jaws was one of the first film franchises to use a number after the title, along with aggressive add campains.

For years every sequel that has come out uses something from the Jaws "book" of "how to" when it comes to sequels. Down to the taglines: "Just when you thought it was safe...," "See it before..." "The (place your number here) dimension in terror",...and the all too famous: "This time...it's personal.."

Face it, the Jaws sequels are bad, and yet still can be watched, because they are not as bad as most sequels, yet taught many film makers what NOT to do with a franchise.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just when you thought, etc
G.Spider15 March 2001
The definitive sequel to one of the finest thrillers ever made, this continues the story of Amity Island, which is now facing the problem of another man-eating shark. Unlike most sequels, this is just as good as the original. The characters are as strong as before. Chief Brody now comes across as a more embittered figure than previously, and you often feel a combination of shark and apathetic councillors have taken their toll on him - a sequence in which he runs across a crowded beach with a gun poised to shoot something in the water which turns out to be a school of fish is an especially powerful scene. The feel of the first Jaws is well-imitated. Yes, there are teenagers, but they are more likeable and better actors than the 'Friday the 13th' types, and very little would happen for the last half an hour without them. Highly recommended to fans of the original Jaws, but ignore the further sequels and rip-offs which follow.
21 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Acceptable sequel based on the characters created by Peter Benchley
ma-cortes6 February 2010
Bone-chilling movie with scary scenes , fine direction and contains similar argument screen-written by Carl Gottlieb to first entry directed by Steven Spielberg. The film is developed in New England in a shore community named Amity where previously the townsfolk were terrorized by a giant shark that attacked to pacific tourists at the local beach. Police chief Brody(Roy Scheider)happily married(Lorraine Gary)tries convince to local authorities( the Mayor again as Murray Hamilton)who reluctant listen him to empty the resort place , but he's dismissed and they think he's nutty. But the large shark attacks and the victims are eaten and making a real carnage and those serving for lunch.Some adolescents (Keith Gordon, Donna Wilkes,Mark Gruner among others) are sailing on their sporting boats, when the giant shark threaten them. Then,the policeman, the deputy (Jeffrey Kramer) determine to track down and kill it. The sheriff Brody is forced to fight for their lives in a mortal confrontation.

It's a passable following with a correct creation of tension,thrills,terror and emotions and brief gore.The shark attacks images deliver the exciting united to thrilling score by the master John Williams( though he copies the original prized with an Oscar)who heightens the suspense. It pack luxurious and atmospheric cinematography by Robert Butler .The original picture considered a real classic obtained three Oscars well deserved, this one is quite inferior but results to be professionally directed by Jeannot Swarc. During the pre-production, production designer Joe Alves recommended him for the film-making's position because of the collaborative work they did together on 'Rod Serling's Night Gallery. Followed by other two sequels much worst,they were respectively directed by Joe Alves(Production designer of the original) titled ¨Jaws 3D¨ with Louis Gossett Jr, Dennis Quaid, Bess Armstrong and directed by Joseph Sargent titled ¨Jaws : The revenge¨ with Michael Caine, Lorraine Gary, Lance Guest and Mario Van Pebbles. Rating: Average, but indispensable watching for the ¨Jaws¨ series fans , as you will have on the edge of your seat.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
You will NOT believe a shark can eat a helicopter
samuraihannity17 June 2009
This movie is about as bad as a "teen scream" can get. A shark that can swim faster than a speed boat to catch water skiers. A shark that can eat a helicopter. Dumb teens who do little more than whine and scream. They took the premise of a mature thriller like Jaws and turned it into a mindless excuse for teens to act "cool" and then really, REALLY stupid. The latter 3/5 of the movie Roy Scheider is left twiddling his thumbs lost in the ocean just to give time for a bunch of teens who can't act their way out of a paper bag. Then Roy Scheider pops back in at the end for the most implausible way to kill a shark ever put a film that wasn't direct to video--which is what should have happened to this film. One word -- BAD!
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not as good as the original, but still good.
sharkattack226 July 2012
After the major success of the masterpiece Jaws. Universal Studios came up with the idea for a sequel. Peter Benchley didn't write a sequel to the novel Jaws. So the movie was purely the studio's idea.

Despite the doubts from the fans, Jaws 2 is actually a pretty good movie. The use of the score is dead on with the original, and makes many of the scenes with the shark intense. Especially when the shark attacks the sail boat titled "Tina's Joy". Some of the scenes are pretty cool too, like when the shark attacks the helicopter.

Most of the actors do a good job especially Roy Scheider who returns as Chief Brody. He's still very good in the roll. However some of the acting is really exaggerated, especially the actress who plays Jackie. All I can say about that is, "Overacting at its finest." The biggest problem with this movie is that after the scene where the shark attacks the water skier, the movie starts moving slow and barely anything happens until 20-30 minutes later. The common movie goer will probably get bored by this, but trust me, if you're patient, it'll be worth it, because the movie really kicks in at that point and doesn't stop until the end.

Jaws 2 is a really good sequel. The middle is a little slow, but the rest is almost as adrenaline pumping as the original. Go see this movie. You'll have a lot of fun.
Great Sequel
yoda_jedi1730 November 2011
One of the best sequels to ever grace the silver screen. Rarely do sequels top their predecessor, and Jaws 2 is no exception, yet this is a great movie. The soundtrack alone is reason enough to watch this film. John Williams once again proves why he is the best in Holly Wood. The Harp played at beginning of the film is both beautiful and chilling. The story is solid; a Great White Shark terrorizes the people of Amity Island 4 years after the events of the first movie. You pretty much know what to expect if you saw the first film, people are going to get eaten. Yet it is the characters that draw you in, Roy Scheider is once again great as Police Chief Brody. The cast is excellent and believable. This is the perfect movie to watch on a summer night while visiting the coast. After watching, wait a few hours before swimming though.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Big fish sequel with teeth
Master Cultist28 January 2010
After the phenomenal success of the first movie, it was all but inevitable that a sequel would follow and, as surely as wasps follow cola, 3 years after Chief Brody blew the arse out of the first shark, a new finned menace lurks in the waters off Amity Island.

The set up is identical to the first, with the added spice of an extremely agitated Chief Brody spotting sharks everywhere he goes, appearing paranoid, right up to the point the chewed up bodies start piling up.

Whilst lacking the sheer menace of the original, and with the unwelcome addition of an annoying bunch of teenagers titting about on catamarans, this is still an enjoyable enough water-borne romp.

The shark scenes are reasonably effective, especially when we see nothing but a dorsal fin skimming through the surf, and the presence of the majority of the original cast at least adds an air of authenticity to proceedings.

Whilst being as good as the original was a near impossibility, preventing the movie from being much, much worse was some achievement by the director.

With plus points already mentioned, the only real lows are the aforementioned spotty oiks, the rather rubbery shark effects when it leaves the water, and the fact that you know it's all getting a little bit silly when the shark takes down a helicopter, so not a bad effort all round.

As sequels go, this certainly delivers the goods.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a spectacular sequel to the original classic chiller, Jaws!
maxnsam0529 October 2007
Roy Schieder reprises his role as Chief of Police, Martin Brody. It has been 4 years ever since the first great white shark infiltrated Amityville's waters. Now, just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water, the terror continues! As new vacationers that have moved into Amity Island begin disappearing in an all-two familiar fashion. Only one man knows the truth. A second great white has got its hands of Chief Brody's sons, Sean and Michael, and their friends. With no way to get lifted out by helicopter or swim back to shore with their sailboats being brought down by the shark, Brody must now go after this great white on his own and ensure the rescue of every single kid who's left abandoned into the open ocean holding pen of the shark. Jaws waits...

totally_del2 November 2006
Let's just say.. I HATE SHARKS, so of course, they frighten me. This is a good movie -- it actually can relate to real life (somewhat), hence: reality is the sharks DO really kill as they show in the movie. The plot is really good. For those who loves scary movies, this is one of them to see if you haven't already. Even imagine that you're in that position, you wonder what'd you do. :/ So the feel of fear is really there, imagine the shark going at you, that'd be pretty scary big time. I saw most of the movie, and I must say it was excellent, from the beginning to the end and I enjoyed it. I have ordered this movie on a DVD to send to my place so I could watch it again. Hopefully, I won't be as scared next time.
Brilliant Sequel with a GREAT Director
scottfilm6 September 2006
Jeannot Szwarc http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0844358/ is not just some french director who wants a piece of American cinema. He's a director that's proved he can take "a good idea if it's done right" and exceed your expectations. He has a Spielberg quality as a director and unlike many directors has an uncanny ability to pull fantastic acting out of no-names. This film is a classic Jaws homage and is a sequel listed among the many few that are close to being as good as the original. 10 stars to Jaws 2 for a job well done and they should have stopped here but I'm a fan of all four for the simple entertainment aspect. After all, that's the original intention of most films before critic's pick them apart. I'm not one of them I'm proud to say.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Sharks don't take things personally, Mr. Brody."
Scott LeBrun17 July 2013
The sequel with one of the most mocked and spoofed taglines of all time, "Jaws 2" naturally is no classic compared to the terrific original. But it's still pretty well done, if slow to get started, and emerges as a pretty good sequel. One does indeed miss Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfuss quite a bit, but Police Chief Brody's (Roy Scheider) story is compelling in its own right, as his demons threaten to get the better of him. The large assortment of new characters isn't terribly interesting, but Scheider is a treat to watch as he reprises the role of Brody. The shark scenes do prove to be worth waiting for.

The story (the movie is scripted by Carl Gottlieb, co-writer of the first film, and Howard Sackler) is easy enough to predict: another rogue killer great white stakes a claim in the waters off of Amity Island. Brody suspects the worst early on, but of course nobody will believe him, not the mayor (Murray Hamilton) nor the new bigwig in town, Len Peterson (Joseph Mascolo). Ultimately it's entirely up to Brody to save the day as the shark, terrorizing some and gobbling up others, sets its sights on a gang of teenagers out day sailing.

While we wait for the action to really take off, the movie centres around Brody and his futile attempts to warn people of the danger and the toll that it takes on him. One can't help but sympathize with this guy, especially since we know he's right.

The shark effects are basically comparable to those in the first film, no better and no worse. Bruce mark 2 never gets around to actually eating very many people, but he does figure in some absolutely priceless moments: one involving a ski boat driver, and the other involving a helicopter.

Lorraine Gary is appealing as before, once again playing Ellen Brody, and Jeffrey Kramer also returns as Deputy Hendricks. New cast members include lovely Ann Dusenberry, Donna Wilkes ("Angel"), Gary Springer ("Dog Day Afternoon"), and actor turned director Keith Gordon ("Christine") as some of the kids.

Director Jeannot Szwarc ("Bug"), brought in to replace John Hancock ("Let's Scare Jessica to Death"), may not be as masterful as Spielberg but he's no slouch either, and he's assisted by such talents as composer John Williams, editor Neil Travis, production designer Joe Alves, and cinematographer Michael Butler.

All in all, a good if not great movie with some good action and suspense - not to mention a hell of a conclusion.

Seven out of 10.