IMDb > Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Page 6 of 18: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Pleasant way to spend an evening.

Author: Noah Tall from Wichita, Kansas
2 December 2014

I really enjoyed the movie. I decided to watch it with my niece last night. And boy I really enjoyed it. It was a real good doom sci-fi that just turned the world into a dystopia...although I'd hardly call this a dystopian film.

It was an alien invasion film plain and simple, with great acting and characters. Jeff Goldblum and Leonard Nimoy could be in the worst films and still bring something good to them, same with Donald Sutherland.

I'm not even into remakes. I hate remakes because they just have a tendency to completely ignore the previous film or film series, basically establishing a "new universe." That being said, I never saw the original, so I had nothing to judge it by. I will probably see the original but I hope it is different enough from this film that I won't feel like I'm watching an older version of the same movie.

All in all though, a great film...check it out.

Creepy and scary

Author: TurboarrowIII from United Kingdom
12 September 2014

I found this to be creepy and scary in places. Much more so than the original version and the ending is truly chilling. It is more downbeat than the original too as the invaders win in this version.

Donald Sutherland puts in a great performance. There is a feeling of menace about this film with some tense and creepy moments. The effects are good especially when we see the pods starting to resemble humans. I found the part where Sutherland discovers that Brooke Adams' character has been taken over scary.

The ending is truly chilling or at least it was to me. Although half expected Sutherland is very scary when it becomes obvious that he has been taken over. This is a great ending although very downbeat as it creates the overriding impression that mankind will soon be wiped out. As I said totally different to the original. A good film with excellent performances. There is a feeling of foreboding coupled with unease, tension and creepiness throughout which certainly made me feel uneasy. The downbeat ending was also not what I was expecting.

Cold vegetables from outer space.

Author: dont-11 from Italy
23 April 2013

PLOT Some cauliflowers from outer space develop clones of humans, in order to replace them, while Donald Sutherland tries to frame up a local restaurant claiming that a caper is really a rat turd.

The invasion spreads very quickly. Leonard Nimoy, a.k.a. Dr Spock, tries to contain it with marriage counselling sessions. Jeff Goldblum and his wife through mud bathings. And Brooke Adams by worrying very much and moving her pupils unsettlingly.

Will our handful of heroes be able to defeat the aliens?

MEANING Human relationships have become so alienated that we have mutually become aliens to each other. This concept is represented literally: humans are substituted for aliens. These aliens are cold and indifferent. They are the sci fi objectification of the sociological concepts expressed by Dr Spock ("we get in and out of relationships as if they meant nothing"). To the invasion of alien detachment is juxtaposed and opposed the human warmth of the leading couple, formed by Sutherland/Adams, which toward the end, particularly, declare with effusion and warmth their sentimental inclinations. But the alien coldheartedness looms over them.

It's in my top ten films of all time

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
6 August 2016

Sometimes it's a real pleasure to re-watch a childhood favourite and find out that it holds up just as well today as it did when you first saw it in your rose-tinted memories. Well, guess what, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS is just one of those pleasures, a truly terrifying alien invasion flick that offers first-rate suspense. In fact, I can fairly say this is the most claustrophobic, suspenseful, paranoid, conspiracy-style movie I've had the enjoyment of watching; no other film exactly matches the rising hysteria and the sense that your neighbours are out to kill you. Sure, the movie is slow-paced by today's standards, but that adds to the realism and the sense that you're watching a slice of everyday life unfold, albeit with a major twist.

The movie is a remake of the good 1956 original and '50s star Kevin McCarthy has a wonderful cameo as pretty much the same character. The first thing you notice when you watch the film is that it isn't dated at all; the script is refreshingly true-to-life and the characters are normal, everyday modern people. Director Kaufman offers up excellent camera-work and editing to highlight the brooding suspense and deepening chaos without ever going over the top, even in the pyrotechnic climax. The casting too, is top-notch; the major players are a carefully-assembled group of unconventionals who find themselves banded together against alien evil. Tall, gangly Donald Sutherland is all bug-eyes and heroism and looks like he stepped straight off the set of DON'T LOOK NOW; Brooke Adams is all wide-eyes and fragile feminine beauty. Then there's the always kooky Jeff Goldblum in a first major performance, possibly even weirder than we're used to; whilst Veronica Cartwright displays the screaming credentials which earned her a part on board ALIEN.

One of the film's most inspired pieces of casting is in Mr. Spock himself, Leonard Nimoy as a psychologist doctor, a really creepy character at that. Then there are the little things that make this film hold together so well: the continuity being immaculate (see the kicking the pod sequence for an explanation of this) and the weird, pulsing sound effects and dodgy music. Special effects are underused and work so well as a result; they're ace and the stuff of nightmares, and definitely scared the heck out of this reviewer at the tender age of 12 or so. The culmination of all this great stuff is an awesome movie that stands the test of time as THE greatest alien invasion flick there is – Spielberg should have tried watching this when he made his pointless and overblown WAR OF THE WORLDS remake.

An Under-celebrated Sci-Fi-Horror Classic...who knew in 1978?

Author: Lary9 from United States
20 November 2015

What do these people all have in common? Donald Sutherland ... Brooke Adams Jeff Goldblum Veronica Cartwright Leonard Nimoy Kevin McCarthy They all had roles in one of the most underrated sci-fi/horror films of all time. It's a pleasure to revisit it every time---and that has been often. 7.4/10.0 on IMDb and I concur. Notably, this 1978 remake of this 1956 classic, unfolds with almost ~zero~ soundtrack music to garnish the scenes or the dialogue. Occasionally some orchestral trumpets blare to accompany forthcoming shocks. I won't bore you with a plot synopsis. Who hasn't seen one of the versions of it? It's an iconic grandparent to many sci-fi offspring over the past 3 decades. BTW; just an aside...a young Jeff Goldblum has already begun to carve out his specialty niche in 'Snatchers-2'; e.g; the fast-talking eccentric whose free associating dialogue keeps the film moving at a brisk pace... (yet with no particular goal in mind.) Goldblum has this particular 'shtick' patented...reacting to scenes like they were Rorschach inkblots is a colorful additive. Alba's Real Science Ratings give it an acceptable RSR...i.e; it's realistic except for stretches the "MacGuffin" (the body snatching pods.)

A well made film

Author: Yasser92 from Sweden
1 November 2015

This movie had an amazing story that gives a nice thrill and makes you wonder what will happen next. It was as adventurous as scary and it will leave you excited during the whole film. The reason i liked this movie was because it was special and was not boring like the modern movies we have today. Many actors in the movie were awesome and there was one character that i loved the most and that was a beautiful girl named Nancy, i wont tell you what she will do in the movie but I can say that she was probably the smartest of them but she did make a mistake, you will understand what I mean after you watched the whole film. I usually don't watch scary movies but this one took the cake and i really recommend it.

That rare thing - a very good remake of a great original.

Author: prichards12345 from United Kingdom
4 August 2015

I've seen Phililp Kaufman's film several times over the years - but always on t.v. or video, and viewing the blue-ray, which came out a while back but which I only just got around to watching last week, I'm struck by how clever the use of lighting and colour is in the movie; subtle but highly stylised. I've always liked it a lot, while thinking Don Siegel's 1956 movie a masterpiece. But it's unfair to compare the two. They attack the story from different eras and different directions.

Donald Sutherland leads an interesting cast, including Brooke Adams, Leonard Nimoy, Veronica Cartwright and Jeff Goldblum. And they tell the story very well. Nimoy is relaxed, Sutherland manages to make a public health officer cool, and Goldblum and Cartwright are agreeably cooky. Adams is also very good here, showing vulnerability without being the stereotypical horror movie female.

It's the story you'll remember, though, and rightly so. Jack Finney's classic tale has stood the test of time, and with the aid of excellent effects, so has the movie. And of course that final scene remarkably manages to match Kevin McCarthy's jolt down the highway in the original. He has a great cameo in this, doing exactly the same thing, and it's fun to spot Robert Duval and Don Siegel himself.

Kaufman's direction is highly unusual and highly effective -shooting one scene early on in a hallway while the scene goes on inside a room, steadily tracking in - it actually makes an exposition scene interesting.

Gripping, compelling, and yes, very frightening. So rare for a remake to be this good. Perhaps only Carpenter's The Thing has matched it.

"Worlds in Collision"…Respectable Remake Becomes its Own

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
31 May 2015

A Respectable Remake is almost an Oxymoron. But not here. This is one of the Few that Pays Homage and Creates its Own Thing from Another Thing, with Talent, Style, and "Originality".

Everyone Working on this Film Contributes and the Result made this into Not Only an Update but a Movie that was Embraced by Critics and Audiences and has done nothing but Gain in Reputation from both over the Years and at the same time does Not Diminish the Original from Director Don Siegel in 1958.

This is Communal Film-Making at its Best. From the Script (W.D. Richter) using Contemporary Subtext and Metaphor, to the Director Philip Kaufman Showing Flourishing Restraint and an Ultra-Hip Playfulness to the...

Cinematography (Michael Chapman), to the Creepy and Unsettling use of Score and Sound Effects (Denny Zeitlin and Ben Burtt), to the Actors Donald Sutherland, Brooke Adams, Jeff Goldblum, and Leonard Nimoy, and Veronica Cartwright, each Delivering Interesting Characters with Intelligent Portrayals as Believable Individuals Caught Up in an Invasion that Removes both Intellect and Oneness.

The Homages are Plenty and will not be Ruined here. There are certain Scenes, Cameos, and Dialog that Pay Tribute. The Style is 1970's at its most Rewarding and Artistic. The Horror Make-Up and Other SFX are Excellent for the Period and Show some Restraint Considering the Era but are Extremely Effective.

It starts with the Opening "Worlds in Collision" Space Shots and Continues through some Gory Shocks and Slimy Make-Up Work. Overall it is the Group Talent that makes this one Come Together as an Excellent Stand-Alone and one of those Rarities. The Respectable Remake.

A rat turd, not a caper

Author: utgard14 from USA
2 May 2015

No, I'm not calling this movie a turd. It's actually a great movie, particularly for a remake. But the turd/caper scene, which occurs very early in the film, is one that stuck with me as a kid. For one thing I had no idea what a caper was. For another, every time my family went to a restaurant I worried there were rat droppings in my food. Anyway, back to the review. This is the first (and best) remake of the 1956 sci-fi classic of the same name. The plot, if you've been living under a rock, is that aliens are quietly replacing people with duplicates. The script is solid and Philip Kaufman's direction is excellent. Donald Sutherland, Brooke Adams, Leonard Nimoy, and Jeff Goldblum are all good. Veronica Cartwright steals pretty much every scene she's in. This is touted by some as being better than the original. I don't think that's the case but it is a great film that wisely avoids being a scene-for-scene remake (I hate those). It feels like much more of a horror movie (although the original was certainly scary for its time). Definitely recommended, whether you've seen the original or not.

It got chills, thrills, great acting and the best movie ending ever!

Author: Joshua Warren from Norway
19 October 2009

This is definitely one of the best Sci-Fi horror/thrillers of all time. In fact it should be among the best Sci-Fi films as well. Now it surprised me that this was a remake because it was extremely good, and remakes rarely are. Not since John Carpenters "the Thing" have I've seen such a good remake. The story is well written and the acting is great. Most of the credit should go to Donald Sutherland of course. Also we have Brooke Adams, Jeff Goldblum and Veronica Cartwright as the rest of the escapees. Also it was nice to finally see Leonard Nimoy doing something else than Spock from Star Trek. This movie definitely has him in a very different role.

Now this is one of the reviews where I'm not going to bother to spoil anything by writing a synopsis. i think the IMDb synopsis speaks for itself. Plus, this is simply a must see film, please don't spoil anything for yourself. I had seen the ending before, ruined the fun a bit, but I feel that I still gave it a fear rating.

The only negative parts of this film were, that it can be a little slow and repetitive. You can only run and hide for so long and keep it interesting. But still they always stopped it right before it got bad, and that saved the movie.

I loved this movie. It was scary, suspenseful and damn right chilly. Good effects for it time, maybe a little dated but most people would hardly notice. I really can't say anything but, "watch it". If you're a Sci-Fi, thriller, horror or even a fan of Donald Sutherland, this is a must see movie. I give this movie a 9/10.