IMDb > Interiors (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 6 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

So Dark, So Sullen

Author: Ezra Gober from Lockport, New York
11 June 2006

With Annie Hall, Love and Death, and Bananas, you think that Woody Allen is the funniest filmmaker of all time right? He also has a very dark side and it is shown in Interiors. I seen this movie the other day and I thought hey, it's Woddy Allen classic, time for some laughs. It turned out that I was almost crying like a baby. I bet everyone in 1978 thought the same thing too. It's all because of Geraldine Page. She did a fabulous job as the mentally disturbed mother Eve. Her appearance in that movie also sent a big chill down my back. She really looked like a pshycotic woman. Her hair tied up in a bun and all, it just kind of creeped me out. Diane Keaton with another amazing performance right after Annie Hall. Finally Maureen Stapelton as Pearl, great job. I gotta say that was f**ked up what the father did to Geraldine Page. Lying to her face like that, talking about it's an experimental separation. At the end, a teardrop came from my eye when Geraldine disappeared into the beach to kill herself. Plus she had that crazy look on her face too. Matter of fact, happy or sad, she had that look throughout the entire movie. It kind of scared me a little bit. If you can hear me up there Geraldine, awesome performance! I know Woddy Allen has done some dark movies in the past. I think this one is his darkest movie, dark but brilliant.

Yes, it's very peaceful

Author: philkessell from Somewhere in England
11 June 2005

I think this was a brave move by Allen. The film has no music, is written around unsympathetic, self obsessed characters who don't talk like real people do (even intellectuals don't navel gaze like this) and the plot (such as it is) is stilted and almost non existent in places.

Yet I liked it. First off, it's nearer what Allen has described as the 'real' him. All the comedy stuff is just there to mask difficult, unresolvable issues that thinking people struggle over and then can't resolve. Watching this film will not give you any answers folks, but if you like films that will challenge you and are by definition a 'thinking' person, you will empathise with people who are unhappy with their lot, don't know what to do, feel they have missed out etc etc.

There's plenty of this here. People say it's gloomy, miserable, self indulgent. True, but surely that's what life's about most of the time isn't it? You want escapism, watch Vin Diesel in something. If you want a challenge, you could do worse than look here.

I have to single out Geraldine Page for the acting honours, up against stiff competition. Subtleties are what differentiates great acting from the merely good - the 'very strong cologne' sequence, and the bit where she's lying in bed watching a God show on TV, help get across the island like, repressed nature of this character. She simply cannot express feelings, yet the despair and loneliness are there for all to see. They must manifest themselves somehow, and do, with tragic consequences.

So folks, this is not a comedy. There are no laughs, though Maureen Stapleton is funny and adds a much needed fillip to proceedings mid way through. There's lots to carp about, but the pluses outweigh the minuses and I urge you to take a look.

mesmerizing

Author: (jecesa) from California
11 July 2004

I discovered this movie by accident in 1986 on cable television I recorded it onto tape and watch it occasionally. Today it was on the Sundance Channel and I watched it again. I've always loved it and not because I'm supposed to like it for any specific reason.

I find it an excellent treatment of a family system where they are in constant unresolved conflict, they make awkward attempts to improve, but most of their pain is kept inside. The symbolism of the "interior" is used to show this more than the dialogue. I don't see that the characters actually talk to each other very often. Almost everything they feel is kept "inside". The audience sees the rare occasions the family gathers and speaks, but those are clearly exceptions in their lives.

I understood and sympathized with the struggle of the children and children-in-laws to find a meaningful path, to try to feel accomplished, to even understand the point of having children. It does become a dramatic exercise in futility if your interior has been arranged for you and suffocated into non-existence. Contrary to the other reviews, to me it all resonates as realistic.

I love the way Geraldine Page carries herself beautifully, arranges objects beautifully, arranges rooms beautifully, and yet allows her face to disintegrate into ugliness right before she loses it.

As negatives, there are lines that Diane Keaton and Mary Beth Hurt delivers that make me cringe. I'm on the fence between whether it's poor delivery or poor writing. There are about 10 lines in the whole movie that sound like a play. Also, it isn't quite Bergman. But I hear Woody Allen shining through clearly in a number of lines, so that doesn't seem entirely negative.

Allen's best

Author: portobellobelle
18 September 2001

Without any question this is my favorite Woody Allen film, and I've seen them all. Forget the nonsense about it being "Bergmanesque." Take it on its own terms. Has anyone else ever explored the harm that art and "talent" can do more fully than Allen has here? How many films are this uncompromising? Just about everything in this film is perfect for me. I wish he'd try something like this again. He needs to forget about Wynona and DiCaprio, get six great actors (regardless of name recognition), and make a quiet film like this. And by quiet, I mean NO MUSIC. This is a fairly radical film, believe it or not.

Great homage to Ingmar Bergman

Author: (jos.fonteijn@planet.nl)
2 February 2001

Great homage to Ingmar Bergman. Best character studies in any Woody Allen film. The film is a bit slow, though. I wish Woody Allen would still be as good as he used to be.

The angst of the Upper West Side

Author: Boyo-2
11 November 1999

It is sometimes hard to empathize with characters in a movie. There are several in this movie that you just want to scream, "Shut Up"! to, mostly Marybeth Hurt and Richard Jordan. Their lives are not nearly as bad as they think they are, in their head. The movie is mostly memorable as Woody's first serious foray into drama, and two amazing performances by the best there is or ever was - Geraldine Page and Maureen Stapleton. Page especially is incredible and I was sorry she did not win an Oscar for this movie. I've even read that Woody himself had to compose himself watching Page in this movie, cause she really is devastating. It is miles better than some of Woody's other dramas, like "September" or "Another Woman".

Very moving and very well acted by everyone involved.

Author: anonymous
15 February 1999

This was a very moving and very well acted by everyone involved. It's a done-to-earth story. The whole cast is excellent. They draw you in and you can feel what they are a feeling. Once again, Richard Jordan gives a brilliant performance as Frederick, the struggling writer and husband of Renata played by Diane Keaton who is also excellent portraying this part and the two of them together are fabulous. You can see the sparks flying whenever they get together. But the one scene I think Allen could have done without was the scene with Frederick and Flyn in the garage, but other than that the film is top notch.

Suffocating Interiors

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
29 June 2010

'Interiors' is perhaps Woody Allen's darkest films. Even though his 'Match Point' is more recognized as such, 'Interiors' is a more subtle, intense and complex in comparison. The situations here are more recognizable than in 'Match Point'.

Allen tones down the colour. The costumes, sets and locations are all of less colour that adds to the gloomy and depressive atmosphere. He uses a lot of silence. There is no background score. The cinematography gives a feel of claustrophobia into the suffocating lives of the characters.

Allen is clearly influenced by Bergman and his intentions seem genuine. 'Interiors' is a very un-Woody Allen film. It doesn't have those quirky characters, relationships or situations that one would normally encounter in his films (such as, 'Annie Hall', 'Manhattan' and 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona'). Nor does Allen make an appearance. However, he does use many of the familiar themes such as dysfunctional relationships, loneliness etc.

Geraldine Page delivers a phenomenal performance as the mother and wife who's falling apart as a result of her divorce. Diane Keaton and Kristin Griffith are remarkable in their understated roles as two sisters struggling for affection and success.

'Interiors' is Allen's quietest film and it very psychological in nature. Due to its disturbing content, it may not be an easy watch for everyone but it is a brilliantly crafter piece and one of Allen's best.

If only we'd let him make more like this

Author: Mr Pants (maestropants@yahoo.com) from Columbus, Ohio
16 January 1999

John Waters has written that if Allen had done this film under a Swedish pseudonym, it would be considered a classic. Instead, it's that one Woody Allen that almost never leaves the rental rack. Very Bergmanesque, it's a slow and quiet film. It's also devastating in its impact. Allen uses the less-is-more motif to its fullest extent; that which is not said carries more weight than that which is shouted. Mareen Stapleton's character seems at first an odd choice considering the somber tone of the film, but adds an incredible dose of life in the scene. It is a very simple film in some ways, but very effective. The trick is to think of it before you find yourself in front of the Woody Allen rack at the video shop; otherwise, you run the risk of breaking down and renting "What's Up, Tiger Lily?"

Morbid movie

Author: DJAkin (Donjakin1988@gmail.com) from AZ
24 February 2006

This movie was morbid to say the least. Not a bit of humor in it yet it was a good movie. Very not like most WOODY ALLEN movies which are funny. This movie had a lot of goods and yes, most of those goods were delivered. Why? Well because of the amazing Maureen Stapleton who does a great performance as PEARL. And what about that FATHER? He was so callous to his wife. He made that speech where he said that he had done his job as a husband and father and that he was finished and ready to live alone? What a jerk! Then again, maybe he was just ready. That amazing DIANE KEATON proved to the Earth that she is amazing and Woody Allen's primary actress for ALL of his movies. I would suggest this movie to anybody who wants to see a nice, sad yet interesting movie about sadness.

Page 6 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]