IMDb > Ice Castles (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4]

MAJOR SPOILERS*****

Author: zaur-2 from Nelson, NC
17 March 2003

Ok, here's my problem with this movie. Cool story, really beautiful blonde wholesome Ice skater. Falls on the ice and goes blind. Boyfriend all of a sudden becomes superman and helps her and him become champion pairs skaters. All of this with her blind. They win, really cool. That would have been the perfect ending right then and there. BUT... HE DIES IN A PLANE CRASH??? What's up with that. Killed the whole film. Even if it is that dorkey Robbie Benson.

Jeaneketeers, you NEED to see this movie!

Author: Jean Teasdale
31 May 2001

The first time me and my hubby Rick sat down to watch this movie, let me just say that sparks were flying all over the place! The movie is a roller coaster of emotions and even when I'm in over my head at the Fashion Bug, thinking of this movie sends happy shivers running up and down my spine! If ever you need cheering up and I'm not around to put a :-) on your face, pop this movie in your VCR and take a ride to the country they call Romance!!!

Awww ... she's blonde! She's cute! She's Daddy's girl ... I hope I don't spit up

Author: Vibiana from USA
26 December 2003

I could have done without some of the simpering-Iowa-farm-girl stuff from Lynn-Holly Johnson here. Yes, I know, I'm cold and heartless. However, Johnson seems too fragile to be champion material in her interpretation of the role of Alexis Winston (is THIS the movie responsible for the current glut of little Alexises born since 1979? Gee, thanks ... NOT).

Robby Benson plays the usual amiable dork role he made so famous in the seventies. I was a squealing junior-high student during his reign and have yet to figure out why we thought he was so cute. I think I forgot about him once I got a look at Parker Stevenson.

Anyhoo ... this film is one cliche from beginning to end, but the person who says so will be labeled an unromantic, mean ninny by 95% of the human race, so you didn't hear it from me. The movie was okay. I only wanted to hurl through about 60 percent of it, and 50 percent of that was the result of the subplot in which sweet-sixteen Alexis is wooed by the television reporter covering the story of her meteoric rise to fame. Ah, those golden days of yore, before the wide use of the term "jailbait."

So go ahead ... see it ... but don't say I didn't warn you.

Touching, moving and wondrous...

Author: The_Core from Seattle, WA. USA
7 August 2000

Ah, but what can I say? Here's a good-hearted fairy tale full of innocence, wonder and triumph over adversity. "Ice Castles" is a movie I can and do watch again and again, and never grow the slightest bit sick of. A timeless tale, told in a clear-eyed, gentle and non-manipulative style, without the slightest bit of pretense, against a gorgeous snow-and-ice-covered background (brings back all the feelings of Christmas season as a child). In a sense, this is the film "Edward Scissorhands" tried to be and failed miserably. Outstanding acting all around, especially from Tom Skerritt and Colleen Dewhurst. Lynn-Holly Johnson is amazing as a first-time role (although I think they could have done better than Robby Benson as her love interest), and the musical score is fabulous. This is really the best cinematic telling of the age-old story of triumph of the human spirit over adversity that I've ever seen. If you aren't a cynic, please give it a chance and rent a copy at your local video store. There isn't a single thing in this rated PG movie that isn't appropriate for kids of any age to see (only a bit of very vague sexual innuendo that children are likely to miss entirely).

I'm hard-pressed to pick between this and "Awakenings" (yet another "triumph over adversity" tale) as my all-time favorite films (although I would give "Ice Castles" the slight edge), with "Top Gun" and "American Beauty" coming in as distant thirds. Some of you may think I'm nuts (especially putting "Top Gun" in my top four favorite films -- that one I can't explain at all), but I'm just a sucker for these kinds of films -- movies that emphasize values that never change -- love of family, the trials we all go through (death, injury, et al.), the incredible power of the human spirit to overcome all of it and emerge victorious. It really pleases me to see that 20% of viewers rated this movie 10/10, and I'm even more pleased to add my own rating of 10/10 for "Ice Castles." Hollywood doesn't make movies like this anymore (the closest recent film I've seen is "What Dreams May Come," a great tearjerker mostly panned by critics and audiences alike) -- today's audiences are mostly too cynical and are looking for special effects and violent action. This one is in the tradition of "Brian's Song" -- if you liked that made-for-TV film, you'll love "Ice Castles."

Unintentional Hilarity

Author: jwpappas from New York City
10 June 2004

I'd love to remake this would-be-weepie & have Lynn Holly-Johnson skate into walls. That way at least this crap would be intentionally funny instead of being a camp classic like PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, VALLEY OF THE DOLLS & MOMMIE DEAREST. This LOVE STORY clone wanted to be 1978's Disease/Affliction Movie Of The Year but it was so dopey & overwrought that even the group of high school girls sitting in front of me in the theatre (back in 1978) laughed uncontrollably at the absurd melodrama. A simpering whiner goes blind & somehow the fey voice of Robbie Benson gives her the courage to compete again. Feh! The box office failure of this yellow snowball & the jaw dropping awful WALK PROUD saved American cinema from the further torture of another Robby Benson performance. The fact that this pile of crap made it onto DVD while great films from the 1970s like PROVIDENCE still remain in limbo is a sure sign that God has a sick sense of humor (& enjoys a few unintentional laughs like the rest of us!).

BORING!

Author: richard from Texas
15 June 2002

Possible the most boring movie I have ever sat through. I saw it at the theatre with a woman I was dating at the time and had I not been there with her, this movie would have the distinction of being the only movie I ever walked out on, simply because it bored me to tears. There have been many love stories and so called "chick flicks" that I have enjoyed, this was not one of them.

Page 4 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4]