Ice Castles (1978) Poster

(1978)

40 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Memories...
laura.g11 February 2001
I loved this movie when it came out and I still love it all these years later-flaws and all.

First of all, the book was so great in it's depiction of competetive skating and the machinations that sometimes go on behind the scenes. That said, the movie was actually a pretty good adaptation.

But, probably the main reason I loved this movie was because I was there when they filmed many of the Broadmoor World Arena scenes. It was my home rink, and it's a blast to see old coaches, old skating friends. And to see the World Arena, which sadly was torn down a few years back. A sad day...

I remember that practice times were a mess because of the shooting schedule-some of us had our practice time in between scenes-lights and all! I remember watching the scene where the "French" skater falls in the middle of a show-and watching the skater playing that part throwing herself onto the ice, over and over again. Ouch! I remember Lynn-Holly seeming a bit nervous; Robby Benson as a bit shy, but very nice (and patient-when introduced, I couldn't remember my name!); David Huffman was very cute and Jennifer Warren was friendly, charming, modest and gorgeous! She didn't know how to skate very well and came out with some of us to learn! She became something of a rink rat while there!

Having been there for some of that, it changes one's perspective a bit, but still, I feel myself drawn into the story-and I cry at the end just like everyone else.
20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Before Blades of Glory there was Ice Castles
Chase_Witherspoon22 May 2011
Johnson plays fictitious figure skater Alexis Winston, whose widower father (Skerritt) reluctantly allows master coach (Warren) to take her to the big city for a chance to demonstrate her unique talents and compete in the national titles. She leaves behind her boyfriend (Benson) and local skate rink owner (Dewhurst) and is soon consumed by the trappings of high profile sport and fair-weather friends, wooed by a much older newscaster (Huffman) and forced to endure the spotlight of TV in addition to her rigorous training schedule. But just as she's about to reach the heights of success, she's felled prematurely in a shocking accident that robs her of her sight, and it seems, her dream. With the aid of family and 'true' friends, she attempts an audacious comeback.

Set to the backdrop of Melissa Manchester's commanding theme song ("Looking Through the Eyes of Love"), "Ice Castles" is the "Flashdance" of the late seventies, with generally strong performances by the cast. Johnson's maturity belies her age, underrated Jennifer Warren delivers a strong performance as the perfectionist coach, while Dewhurst has a couple of intense scenes to display her range, notably where she confronts Johnson in the attic where she's apparently given up on life in favour of a shallow existence of self pity.

Typical feel-good movie is elevated by Dewhurst's performance and the Oscar-nominated theme song (the rest of the soundtrack isn't bad either, e.g. "Midnight Blue" and "A Fifth of Beethoven"), but probably attempts to milk too much sympathy as films of this ilk often do from the audience. One of those films you probably wouldn't seek to watch, but nevertheless find yourself engaged to the end in spite of yourself.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great!!
tinttara196629 January 2008
I loved this movie when it came out and just watched it again on TV tonight.

Brings back a lot of memories of my time as a skater, not best, but OK.

I was reading about the goofs in the movie and well anyone who is paying attention will realize that:

The skating on the pond is not a goof, it is taking place over several days. There is no way any one will feel safe on skates again after such an ordeal. It takes time to rebuild your confidence. Any person who is a skater will realize that. So please take take that part out of the goofs.

I gave it a 10/10 cause when you think back to the 70's making movies was not as technically easy as it is now a days with all the computer enhancements.

I like the actors all did a very excellent job.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent film that's very romantic, touching and moving
Catherine_Grace_Zeh27 November 2005
Lynn-Holly Johnson and Robby Benson give smashing performances as an aspiring Olympic ice skater and her loving boyfriend. ICE CASTLES is an excellent film that's very romantic, touching and moving. It's a love story that ultimately tests the boundaries of true love. The music is good, too, especially "Through The Eyes Of Love," which is the song that plays over the opening credits. If you're wondering who's it's by, it's by Melissa Manchester. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that everyone involved in this film did an outstanding job. In conclusion, if you like love stories that are happy and sad at the same time, this is definitely a movie to see. You will really be touched by it.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Their love destroyed; their love redeemed
gkearns10 March 2002
There are SPOILERS in this review. I found out why I liked this film so much when it first came out twenty-plus years ago: it was a good movie. Most reviewers followed the movie's publicity hype and assessed the movie on a linear structure: the story of a girl who with the help of her lover surmounts overwhelming obstacles to achieve a dream. And I can see how they might on such a basis view it as a failure. But then the linear structure was not the goal of the story in the first place. If you really look at what's happening in the movie, you'd also have to redefine "dream" before it makes any sense in the story that's actually told. In the end, the "A story with dream" may have little to do with ice skating.

(MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD) Grooming Lexie (Lynn-Holly Johnson) for the next Olympics is a major challenge for Deborah (Jennifer Warren), the world class figure skating trainer. Most girls start their trek by the time they're seven, devoting another decade to shaping their art and learning their figures and the skills of competing before they're considered ready for the big time. At sixteen Lexie is considered by many to be already over the hill. Through Deborah's demanding tutorship, television personality Brian's (David Huffman) television hype, and Lexie's determination and natural talent, amazing progress is made; sponsors are even lining up to back her run for the gold. What no one considers, least of all Deborah and Brian, is that skill isn't the only thing skaters become enured to by starting their training early in life. There's the give and take in the community of skaters, the learned knowledge of the ways of judging, the back-biting, the dog-eat-dog mentality that girls around the business since early childhood take for granted, but that for Lexie is a whole new world of naivete. In order to compensate for those years of rugged experience, a girl in Lexie's position will need to have strong props. Lexie's props? She's never been out of Waverly, her Iowa home town. Her mother is dead. Her father looks on Lexie as a surrogate for his dead wife, and refuses even to come to the bus depot to wish her well on her journey. Her beloved Nick leaves her at every important turning point in her life. Beulah (Colleeen Dewhurst), Lexie's home town mentor, is the only one who has ever treated Lexie with respect, but even she has an agenda. She wants desperately for Lexie, through her skating, to get away from the trap of small town America - which she herself was never able to do. So time after time we see a basically fragile Lexie totally confused by what she experiences in her new life. At a major Christmas television special in New York where all the world-recognized girl skaters will be putting on an exhibition, all the girls are stunned by the public emotional collapse on the ice of the French champion, but quickly get on to the next stage of the show; however, Lexie stands open-mouthed and frozen by what she has seen on the TV monitor. At the required cocktail receptions, Lexie doesn't understand why all the sponsors want to touch her and crowd her. It is not a hidden intention of the director and author that we should know that LEXIE HAS NO PROPS. After the exhibition, when Nick is cold to her on the telephone, Brian takes advantage of the obviously vulnerable girl - but he is incapable of support; what he calls love, yes; but support? no. So when she reaches the height of her quest, the gold medal at the sectionals, and sees Nick coming towards her, she is for the moment in seventh heaven, but when he sees Brian hugging her, the guy who always walks away from a struggle turns his back on her - a door slam that Lexie is no longer able to cope with. (SPOILERS)Depressed and alone, she leaves the victory reception, goes to the hotel ice rink, and does the only thing she has confidence in for herself, she skates - and falls - and hurts her head - and is permanently blinded. Now she has nothing. She returns to the farm and vegetates. Even her father has reached the end of his self-centeredness, and confesses to Beulah that he doesn't know what to do, that Lexie will die if not checked on her nothing course. Most viewers of this movie think that the climax is the big moment, when, totally blind, she skates the best performance of her life. I don't think so. I found the actual turning point - the climax, if you will - comes when after Marcus' plea, Beulah looks for Lexie and finds that she has crawled to the attic, and in the dark there she is putting on her mother's clothes (shallow movie?). The ensuing sometimes violent confrontation is as down and rough dramatic as you'd want. (MORE SPOILERS) But Lexie decides to put on the skates again. This time Nick, who has also learned a lesson, is a true helpmate - not doing things for her, but encouraging her to do what she can do ... and not walking out on her. After a long arduous re-learning period, Lexie goes again to the sectionals - this time with all her props in place: Beulah, Nick, and her father. The scene of the happy foursome in the car going to the sectionals could easily have been the last scene for its resolution of the story.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It Works Despite It's Shortcomings
loveout26 June 2005
Most will either love Ice Castles or hate it. Perhaps hate is a little harsh but it gets the point across. For a film with numerous shortcomings it has achieved somewhat of a cult following. So much so that Columbia Tristar decided to release it in DVD format several years ago.

What's wrong with the movie? For a film partially intended to appeal to the teenage crowd, it is unnecessary to have any foul language. Yet Ice Castles is sprinkled with four letter words from the beginning to the end. It doesn't advance the plot one iota and it's inclusion in the film is a mystery. Perhaps the producer thought a "G" rating would doom it at the box office and added the harsh language to get a "PG". Whatever the reason it degrades the film.

Many of the lines the actors speak seem to be more or less mumbled and hard to understand. Not sure if this is a sound problem or simply bad acting.

There is a severe lack of continuity in some scenes. For instance Lexie is first wearing a green jacket in the segment where she is learning to skate on the pond after becoming blind. Suddenly she is wearing a blue jacket in the next scene and just as suddenly goes back to the green jacket! Not to mention her being bare-headed and then is seen wearing a beige hat and then back to being bare-headed again! The producer must have been blind too!!

The original film was 115 minutes according to a New York Times review in 1979. However, the VHS and DVD versions are about 108 minutes. Where are the missing 7 minutes and why were they not included?

Nevertheless, despite these and other faults, the film works due in large part to Marvin Hamlisch's stirring music and Lynn-Holly Johnson's beautiful skating. It is a three-hankie the first time you see it and has inspired many young hopefuls to take up the sport. A must-see if you like films that turn tragedy into victory.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lynn-Holly Johnson Worth Seeing
ccthemovieman-18 October 2006
This is far from a believable story: a top ice skater losing her sight and then becoming even a better skater after becoming blind! I don't think so.

However, the girl - "Alexis Winston," played by Lynn-Holly Johnson - is such a beautiful and sweet person that she alone makes the movie worth watching. Johnson was an accomplished skater in her own right, so she makes the skating scenes look realistic.

The bad news was the character, "Beulah Smith," portrayed by Colleen Dewhurst, an annoying butch-like foul-mouthed woman, the opposite of Johnson. Her bad mouth prevents this from being a good family film, which it could have been. She isn't the only offender, but is, by far, the worst....and all of it was unneeded, but that's Hollywood in the 1970s for you. Familiar '70s actor Robby Benson plays Johnson's boyfriend, but he's not all that likable, either.

This is mainly Johnson's film. She never really was that much of an actress, but her other qualities and talents overcame that shortcoming.
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Depressing Yet Good
jonpd22 November 2002
I am not going to lie, this film is utterly depressing. The dreary atmosphere and the sad love story come together and make our tears flow. Simple story concerning a young girl who vows to become a professional ice skater, the boy she loves, and the tragedy that follows. Good performances from Skerritt and Dewhurst as usual, average from Benson and the rest of the cast. The finale is a real tearjerker, featuring the wonderful Melissa Manchester song. Though the film is somewhat predictable and extremely corny, it is still a good little film made with good intentions. 7/10
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Grace
tedg7 March 2006
Movies are like people, some of 'em.

You'll encounter some that are like this, so trivial, so unoriginal, so mawkishly dumb that you'll want to stab your eyes. And yet it will have a center -- like this -- that is so appealing you cannot avoid the inner seduction.

The story is completely ordinary and obnoxious. The drama of a soul as a sports competition; characters dragged out of high school cribsheets. Stuff that just makes no sense, even in a fantasy. A completely incoherent rhythm.

The seduction is from the skating. Our sweet young midwestern princess this time is an ice skater. Instead of getting an appealing actress and somehow handling the skating with doubles, they used a real skater. Sure, she's a poor actress, but no less so than the pros involved here. The point is that when she skates, the reality of it is inherited by the story and all of the clunky machinery seems more real by association.

Her face is plain and uninteresting, but that's just an artifact of not knowing how to act, to give us a being. But that's not true at all when we see her move, even at times when she is not moving on the ice. Skaters are actors in a grand theatrical tradition. The "scoring" keeps getting adjusted to make it more and more appealing to audiences, to improve the business of show. And our girl here is fully saturated in the thing.

What makes this different than watching a sports competition? Because those girls and women really are competing, a grueling, joyless enterprise of questionable worth to society. Here, we have the camera placed in very clever and effective places. We have the freedom to have innocent costumes and personal projection. And we have the freedom of our dancer to just dance in most pleasing way her team can devise.

There's a "sex" scene of sorts. No nudity at all. Our girl is in front of a mirror with a cotton blouse and no bra, lightly touching herself. Her slight body under, a couple years later presented as a Bond girl.

An unscrupulous TeeVee personality has been making her a star in a manner within the story very similar to the stance of the movie itself. He is the trainer's lover. With no explanation whatever, he enters and is accepted as our girl's lover.

It is a tender scene in how she moves, with implied violence in the sexual voyeurism. (The plot revolves around her losing her sight and rediscovering her old boyfriend.) If the Olympics is date rape, movies like this are a seduction where money changes hands. I prefer the latter.

Ted's Evaluation -- 2 of 3: Has some interesting elements.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I love this movie!
Kavy Mauss11 November 2004
I know it is kind of sappy and hackneyed, but Ice Castles is one of my favorite films of all time. I try to watch it at least once a month, and it still makes me cry. Honestly, Ice Castles might have changed my life, as it inspired me to skate. I wanted to be a part of that beautiful, graceful world. Lynn Holly Johnson skated so wonderfully in this movie. I tried for years to duplicate her arms on that Camel Spin she does in the Fifth of Beethoven program. Oh! and that theme song "Through the Eyes of Love" is great too. It inspired me to play the piano also! I guess I still consider this one of my "guilty pleasures" as I do not widely admit that I am such a fan of this obscure 70s movie.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
35 years between viewings
irishm25 December 2013
I saw this in the theater when it came out. Then I saw it this afternoon on streaming. I remember kind of liking this one as a teen, but still there was something about it that nagged at me through the years and convinced me not to go to any great trouble to see it again. Today I was reminded what that was: the characters are such unpleasant people. Yeesh. I'm glad I don't have friends or family like this.

The dad has his head in the sand and will do just about anything to prevent his only child from taking a brave risk to better herself. The boyfriend is a self-centered jerk and a quitter who drops out of medical school and semi-pro hockey in the first 30 minutes of the film, and who also seems to resent Lexie's potential to succeed in life, the same potential he himself has squandered twice already. And the ice rink owner is a shrieking harpy. I don't think too many ice rink owners are Care Bear types, really, but Beulah did altogether too much screaming and cussing. (Funny thing: from seeing the film in the theater, I remembered Colleen Dewhurst as "the fat lady"... guess what? 35 years later I see she wasn't at all fat. She was a middle-aged woman. She looked... ahem... rather like I do now. "Stupid" clothes and all.) The one exception to the unpleasantness is Lexie herself; I thought Lynn-Holly Johnson played her very believably, with great exuberance while skating and credible depression after the accident. She was a joy to watch on the ice... I'm not a sports or skating fan at all, but I streamed it twice just to watch her skate. Wow. The film would have been a total zero without her.

There are confusing plot issues: what about that boyfriend of Lexie's new trainer, who not only gravitates from the trainer to Lexie herself, but the trainer doesn't seem to care or even notice? And continuity issues: towards the end, see Tom Skerritt on the pond wearing boots, then skates, then boots again, while helping Lexie regain her skating ability. And as I said, just too much nastiness between the characters: okay, I get that Robbie Benson (who is in serious need of an eyebrow waxing) wants Lexie not to feel sorry for herself, but the way he screams "Shut up!" at her when she asks for help getting up is really not going to help matters any.

I wouldn't have bothered with this one again if not for Lynn-Holly Johnson; she made the whole film and she was a joy to watch. If I had a flower, I'd throw it.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Good Movie!!
lori-10511 June 2010
While I do agree with some of the other reviewers...a lot of unnecessary cussing...I believe that is Hollywood's version of showing rough and tough small town Midwesterners, so it was easy to overlook for me. Because I was raised in small town Minnesota...where this was filmed...I can attest that in fact, some of the edgier people in the town I grew up in did talk like that on occasion, so I guess it wasn't too far from the truth. That said, I think overall, the plot and emotions in this movie are a lot deeper than what is thrown on screen before us these days!! And for the reviewer who said that continuity was off when Lexie changed caps and coats...I think you missed out on a subtle hint the director was trying to show in time passing...as Lexie also became a stronger skater with every costume change in the sequence. Obviously, she didn't do it the moment she got up on her skates, so I think you missed out. Someone also mentioned that the 'Live Televised Broadcast' was a goof because there was no audience...but it was not a goof! It was televised on live camera on Christmas Eve, according to the plot line. Did not specify it was to be before an audience. News broadcasts are always live, and they don't have an audience, either. Nor do I think Robby Benson sounds remotely from Brooklyn, but that's another story altogether. Over all, I like this film a lot! Of course, Robby Benson was my big crush since Ode to Billie Joe, so I am a bit biased, but I think even without him, it would be a pretty good piece of film work. I give it a 7 out of 10!!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
love and tragedy
dav07dan0228 June 2005
Director: Donald Wrye, Script: Donald Wrye, and Gary Baim, Cast: Robby Benson, Colleen Dewhurst, Tom Skerritt, Lynn Holly-Johnson

This is the movie every girl who was in Junior high in the late seventies will vividly remember! The story about a young skater from a small Iowa town trying to make the Olympics against all odds and the tragedy that befalls her. Although a little sappy and often clichéd, this move is still enjoyable to watch. I know it is one of my wife's favorites and she wasn't even born yet when this film came out!

Colleen Dewhurst owns a small bowling alley with a skating rink in it and she coached young Lexie. Tom Skerritt played Lexie's father. They wore both excellent in their respective parts. In my opinion, they are both very underrated actors. Robby Benson did fine as Lexie's boyfriend. He has been in many movies but I am not familiar with much of his work. As for Lynn Holly-Johnson, well she certainly has talent. She is a real skater and her looks and skating ability worked for this movie. She does get a little whiny though. In the film she did the following year, The Watcher in the Woods, one can see her limitations as an actress. I see her more as a skater than an actress. However, I have not seen her in any of her later movies.

I have been to the Waverly, Cedar Falls area in Iowa where this movie was filmed and it is a beautiful area. It made a great setting for this film. I especially liked the winter scenes. This movie also had a very good musical score by Marvin Hamlisch. Of course, we all remember the theme song written by Hamlish and Carol Bayer-Sager and sung by Melissa Manchester. Donald Wrye has done many made for T.V. movies. I remember a movie done by him called Born Innocent which starred Linda Blair. Her follow up film to The Exorcist. This was a very depressing and downbeat movie. One last comment I would like to make about Ice Castles is the film's content. It would have made a great family movie but their was too much swearing and the content of the relationships would not make this film appropriate for small children. I thought I might add this because this is a film young girls would like. Evidently, Lynn Holly-Johnson was asked to do a nude scene but she refused. To bad---She was kind of cute!
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good viewing
Monika-53 July 1999
Even though this movie is dated by today's standards, it is worth checking out. Even though my good friend and I crack up at Iowa farm boy Nick's (Robby Benson) Brooklyn accent. Lynn-Holly Johnson's acting and skating are pure joy to watch, and the chemistry she and Robby shared in this film was wonderful. The way the music swells leading up to Lexie's accident after she loses Nick is very suspenseful too. I wish they would have gone more into detail about how Lexie's affair with the sports anchor came to be. "Through the Eyes of Love"...always a classic song!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Disheartening
kathieanderson-936189 January 2018
Things must have been very different back in 1978. Considering what's being revealed in the entertainment industry these days, the fact that audiences back then could regard the statutory rape of a young, innocent 16 year old girl by a powerful and amoral man in his thirties to be not only tolerable, but acceptable and even "romantic", makes me feel sad and sick inside. How anyone could consider this a "family movie" is beyond belief to me.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Figure skating, tragedy and (maybe) triumph
Wuchak5 July 2015
Released in 1978, "Ice Castles" stars Lynn-Holly Johnson as Alexis Winston, an up-and-coming figure skater on the threshold of worldwide fame who unexpectedly faces serious challenges. Robby Benson plays her hockey-playing boyfriend, Tom Skerritt her dad, Colleen Dewhurst her hometown coach, Jennifer Warren her professional coach and David Huffman a sportscaster who becomes infatuated with her.

This is a realistic drama first and a sports movie second. It's reminiscent of the tone/theme of 1976's "Rocky" except dealing with figure skating rather than boxing and Lynn-Holly as the protagonist rather than the Italian stallion. Johnson convincingly carries the film with her doe-eyed charm and Benson is likable as always. The other four main actors all kick axx, especially Skerritt and Dewhurst. The movie features a lot of figure skating, if that's your thang.

Johnson is such a charming petite cutie it's not surprising that the sportscaster falls under her unintentional spell. However, despite her curvy beauty she's not that interesting as a person; perhaps because she's only 16 years old in the story (although Lynn-Holly was 19 during filming). You'll see this in the high society (of skating, that is) schmoozing sequence. While Alexis is a champion and charming figure skater, she's not yet developed enough to schmooze. So she's left pouting alone until she gets back to the ice. Don't me get wrong, I've met 12 year-old girls who are fascinating (in a non-sexual sense) because they have an incredible imagination, but Alexis' appeal never goes beyond her outward beauty, innocent charm and skating talents. Nevertheless, this is a quality 70's drama and figure skating flick.

The film runs 109 minutes and was shot in Minnesota and, to a lesser degree, Colorado.

GRADE: B
An Inspiration For People With Disabilities
Desertman8419 January 2015
Ice Castles is a romantic drama about a young female figure skater's rise and fall from stardom; and how she managed to regain it .It stars Lynn-Holly Johnson and Robby Benson.

Alexis "Lexie" Winston is a young and talented figure skater. Tragedy strikes when she encounters a freak accident and loses her eyesight.This led her to depression and hide from the public.Later,she manages to regain motivation and eventually persevere to compete again in figure skating despite her blindness.

It is definitely a sentimental old movie back in the 70's that will definitely touch the heart of the viewers from that generation.But what's great about it is Lynn-Holly Johnson,who happens to be a figure skater in real life for she was able to provide great performances both as a figure skater and a naive young woman.Also,it will definitely help people with disabilities to pursue their dreams despite the so- called limitations that they may have obtained along the way.An inspiration indeed.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Until there is life there is always hope, so never give up!!
Charles Joe Agnes6 September 2007
(Some possible spoilers ahead)

My very first recollection of this movie was as a young teenager back in 1982 and although many of the comments made by others vary here, there is a moral to this movie which sends an inspiring message to anyone that has been disadvantaged by a misfortune or disability towards fulfilling an event or an achievement. It brings back many memories especially in high school where we also felt vulnerable as to how our future was going to unfold. Movies and reality rarely coincide, which is why movies will be movies and documentaries will be documentaries.

I will not comment on how good or bad the acting was, or whether there were any goofs in the settings or if the sun was shining while raining etc., as I have yet to see a perfect movie in that respect. What I will say is that without giving too much away here, Lynn Holly Johnson plays the part of Lexie, a hopeful professional figure skater who becomes permanently blind in an accident during skating practice, therefore almost having her whole future destroyed in every respect and with the many hurdles that lie ahead. Her difficult childhood with lack of family support and a deceased mother give her very little hope for a better future. However, her dedication, determination and the power of the human spirit enables her to become an even better skater than she could ever dream to be. Is this possible? Well, whenever I see this movie, it reminds me of many true life examples such as Wilma Rudolph, for instance, who was crippled by Polio at an early age to eventually win 3 titles in the Rome Olympics of 1960. The skating in this movie only serves as a slogan for any other passion or profession where the theme can be equally generalized to any other vocation. Others will also see this as a love story, which is also valid as in reality the relationships of others also plays a key role towards anyone in a real life situation. Their support or lack of also adds to how one progresses in achieving towards their goal. In some ways it can also be similar to the movie "An Officer and a Gentleman" starring Richard Gere where his determination to persevere is not damaged by his superior.

The soundtrack "through the eyes of love" performed by Melissa Manchester is well blended in this movie doing it much justice and makes it a very lovely piece of cinema to watch. Whenever I hear this soundtrack in my car radio it definitely reminds me of this movie and of it's inspirations. A disaster turns into a triumph, reminds us to never undermine the human spirit. (in loving memory of my late mother, Agnesina D'Alessio who was my best inspiration)
Gorgeous soundtrack!
gwengalnelson4 April 2007
I remember seeing this as a little girl and falling in love with both Robby Benson and this movie.I used to try to play the song from this movie on my grandmothers piano all the time.I still think this has one of the most beautiful soundtracks in movie history.I think The performances are all excellent,especially Colleen Dewhurst.The girl who played "lexie" is quite good as well and a fantastic skater.What ever happened to her?Im not sure but I think this is based on a true story,which makes me love this movie even more.What I remember the most though is the end of course,her final skating performance,what an unbelievable ending!!If you haven't seen this,I highly recommend watching this and have a box of Kleenex next to you!
Wonderful Movie
dawnm518 February 2007
Everyone seems to knock the acting of Robby Benson and Lynn Holly Johnson in this movie. I thought they had great chemistry together and were very believable as the guy with hockey dreams and the untapped ice skating talents of his girlfriend, than the jealousy he feels when she almost reached the dreams he feels he will miss out on for himself.

Not to mention the supporting talents of Tom Skerritt and Colleen Dewhurst. How can anyone dislike this movie? Sure it makes you cry---that's almost the best part of the movie. There are only three movies that I'm guaranteed to cry at...Ice Castles, The Way We Were and Terms of Endearment.
A Good flick
Karianne McDaniel28 July 2005
I first saw this movie around the time we got cable back in 1982. Not only did I become obsessed with watching this film (Along with "Oh Heavenly Dog" and "Victor/Victoria") but I thought I would surely marry Robby Benson. The movie isn't sophisticated or mind boggling, but it is a romantic, good hearted, and honestly written movie. Ice Castles focuses on the story. It stays true to the form of movies I enjoy watching. It was a tear jerker of a movie when I was 8 and it still is today, partly because of the song "Looking Through The Eyes of Love". I can go grocery shopping today and hear the song overhead and will well up with tears. I instantly get this profound image of Robby Benson in one of the movies most pivotal scenes. Once anyone sees this movie then can they understand why I wanted to marry him. It's a quality picture and a nice time to spend watching the tube, especially on a chilly fall day with hot chocolate.
Inspired by movie
aussie_girl-118 April 2005
I would like to say my mother took me to the movies to see this when I was just 11yrs and I thought it was a beautiful movie, sure looking back now its not the best of acting but hey when your just 11 yrs its not an issue I thought & still think Lynn Holly Johnson is beautiful & gracious in this movie lets not forget this is the 70s movie, hair styles are somewhat the past as to why i think Robby Benson has some answering to I love the sound track (through the eyes of love) I can tell you I'm now 37 yrs old I've just managed to collect this movie of my own ,Ive seen this movie 40plus times & still feel the emotion of her moves on the ice & yes its me gives me goose bumps I now have my 5yr old daughter watching it and yes she now wants to ice skate I could be now living my dream through my daughter, I would love to see a sequel to this movie I loved it that much.To all the negative comments are not worth reading as they get shadowed by the positive ones.
Sweet and Touching
tlc330712 December 2004
Ice Castles is a story about a group of people who come together to triumph over tragedy. The best part is that it was made before the whole triumph over tragedy plot became so commonplace. Yes, it's a bit predictable, but still very touching. I watched this movie as a child and loved it. I watched it as an adult and loved it still. It has stood the test of time. It's a great movie for the family to watch and a great movie for parents to share with their kids. An uplifting movie with a wonderful message. Well cast and sweetly played, Ice Castles passes my personal sit-still test and provides a nice walk down Memory Lane. Movie bonus: beautiful scenery and a very pretty soundtrack.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The last few minutes say it all
celizab5 November 1998
The last few minutes of Ice Castles capture the movie like I've never seen. The love story and the triumph over adversity are completely wrapped up in the last three lines. Anyone who has seen this movie knows what I am talking about.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Over the top (and off the cliff)
ray-2806 June 2005
This is a movie that leaves you wondering what it would have been in the hands of competent talent.

The story is contrived, the acting horrid, and I'm still wondering how Robbie Benson ever had such a following. Lynn Holly Johnson is barely capable, somewhat nice looking, but does little with the material given her. The only reason she doesn't stick out like a sore thumb for her poor performance is that the cast was all thumbs as well, and sore thumbs at that.

That said, I still tune in on cable when I see this movie because the story is a can't-miss (even this group couldn't mess it up): a late-starting figure-skater who begins to catch up to her more experienced peers goes blind while practicing, thus ending her career aspirations for the only thing she's ever done well in her life. From there, the usual assortment of skeptics and cheerleaders assume their usual positions, complete with predictable plot twists and a classic "chick flick" climax.

I did not see this movie when it first came out, but having seen it, I now have an appreciation for what a female would have to go through if she found herself held captive through a showing of "Road House."
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this