IMDb > I Spit on Your Grave (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Day of the Woman

I Spit on Your Grave More at IMDbPro »Day of the Woman (original title)

Page 4 of 33: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Very controversial in its day

Author: Wayne Malin (wwaayynnee51@hotmail.com) from United States
18 October 2012

A female writer (Camille Keaton) rents a cabin in the middle of the woods to relax and work on her new book. Four horrendous men (one mentally retarded) attack her, rape her repeatedly then leave her for dead. She recovers and extracts a very violent and bloody revenge on all four.

Some people think this is the most disgusting picture ever. The rapes are horrendous and go on forever (25 minutes!)...but it never really bothered me. I was always aware that I was watching a movie and the rapes were very obviously being staged. To make it worse the four guys can't act! It was impossible to take it seriously. Also the movie has a lousy script, HUGE gaps in logic (she never goes to the police???) and the director (who also wrote it) seems WAY too fond of badly focused shots from far away. On the plus side Keaton was great--she gives this picture a much better performance than it deserved. Also it was GREAT to see the guys get what's coming to them. They'll all sick psychotic monsters and deserve everything that happens to them.

This picture gained a lot of publicity when it was rereleased in 1980 and Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert tore in it. For its time it was pretty strong stuff but, compared to what we get today, it's easier to handle. It was attacked for being anti-female in some quarters--other people called it a misunderstood masterpiece. It's definitely not a masterpiece but I don't think it's anti-woman either. Actress Keaton and writer/director Meir Zarchi defended the picture saying the rape was vicious and brutal because that's what rape is! Also I always felt the movie was on the side of Keaton. The men are vicious, sadistic jerks and deserve to die. Their killings are just as vicious as the rapes they did--a castration in the tub is almost impossible to watch. Not a very good movie but it's gained a following and there was a remake in 2010 (which I never saw). If Siskel and Ebert had just shut their mouths about this it would have been forgotten.

Disturbing Exploitation Film

Author: Mister_Mausoleum from Deep in the Catacombs of the Tall Man's Lair
2 August 2009

******Six Out Of Ten Stars******

A young woman from New York City rents a rural summer home with the intention of writing her first novel. Four local hicks, including a mentally handicapped man, brutally rape the young woman and leave her for dead. Rather than reporting the rape to the police, the woman decides to exact revenge upon her assailants personally. This film doesn't fit into traditional genre classifications, namely, it's not a horror film or a drama film.

This film is raw and honest; and that's why I admire it. It's a low budget exploitation film, that as far as I'm concerned, is fairly well produced considering the size of the budget. Admittedly, the rape scene does come to soon, leaving the later revenge portion of the film to be somewhat cumbersome and even boring at times. "I Spit" undoubtedly would have won over more critics had the filmmakers chosen to capitalize more on the tensions building up to the rape.

The reason I took four stars off this film, is because of the aforementioned failure to draw out the most suspenseful part of the film, the time prior to the rape scene. Because once the rape scene hits, and ends, the suspense is just completely lost; unable to even be recovered by the young woman's revenge sequences. The other major error is the producer's decision not to use any non-diagetic music, and is almost as big of a flaw as rushing into the rape scene.

I really feel sorry for the reviewers on this web site that claim that they weren't really affected by the brutal rape scenes. I had a hard time watching the rape scenes the first time I viewed this film; there very well done. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that "I Spit" was well filmed, directed, and acted! The rape scenes are incredible, in that they are shocking and disgusting. For those of you that don't think these rape scenes are shocking, you have issues.

This is a movie about real life horrors. And unfortunately, life is full of horrible occurrences. And it seems to me that movies like "I Spit" draw so much undue criticism because this type of film contends with the terrifying occurrences in the everyday life of human beings. It's not movies about zombies and werewolves that truly scare us; it's movies about people hurting other people in wholly feasible situations that truly scare us and truly offend the MPAA.

Two words Rape and Revenge

Author: acidburn-10 from United Kingdom
30 May 2007

The storyline, a young woman named Jennifer leaves New York and moves to the countryside to write her new novel but her work is interrupted when she gets brutally raped by four men, instead of calling the police she plots her revenge by killing them off one by one.

"I Spit On Your Grave" is infamous for being banned practically everywhere and earned the Video Nasty title and it's easy to see why.

This is by no means a pleasant or easy film to watch, Jennifer (Keaton) is a classy, beautiful, intelligent, sensitive woman and seeing her get raped for 40 minutes (I'm not kidding) was very taxing on me. The men in the movie are mainly caricatures, except for one: Johnny (Tabor). He's given more time to flesh out and drives the message home: Men can do ugly things and feel no remorse afterwards. This guy is unbelievable, he seems so normal but yet he's a monster.

The film lightly touches the whole " when a woman shows off her body does it mean she's asking for it" thing but cuts it short when in one of the murder scenes she cuts of one of the rapist's penis in one of the most unsettling scenes ever to grace the screen even the most hardened men will squirm at this scene.

Having Jennifer use her sexuality to lure the men into her deadly traps took me by surprise and was an interesting way to approach the revenge theory it worked, all the murders are effective and you really root for her as she gives the rapists they're just desserts.

Camille Keaton (Jennifer Hill) is astounding with her breath taking beauty and her moments of terror and fear really hit a nerve with me, Eron Tabor (Johnny) plays his charismatic part well A 70's revenge flick is not complete without the half-wit, Richard Pace (Matthew) convinced me he was a dumb arse. Anthony Nichols (Stanley) and Gunter Kleemann (Andy) have "disposable" written on they're dicks and they do it well.

All in all not to everyones taste and I wouldn't recommend it because it is really sick and disturbing.

I spit on your grave!

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
23 August 2006

This flick, also known as I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE, garnered a cult following very quickly. Most of the stuff talked about was implied, but you do get to see a naked young woman(Camille Keaton)at various times. Keaton plays Jennifer Hill, an inspiring novelist, on vacation in the woods of Connecticut. A local gas station attendant along with a couple of redneck friends and a mentally challenged delivery boy decide to raise a little hell with the stranger. The young writer is raped, sodomized, beaten and humiliated by the quartet. She manages to gather enough strength to seek and carry out her revenge. Her choices: hanging, shooting, axing and castration. The violence is very brutal and graphic. This film is not for everyone, so be warned. When this was released in 1978, the shock value was in deed higher. Also in the cast: Eron Tabor, Anthony Nichols, Gunter Kleemann and Richard Pace.

"You're lying in the canoe in your bikini just waiting'...like BAIT!"

Author: Backlash007 from Kentucky
18 December 2005

~Spoiler~

I Spit on Your Grave (aka Day of the Woman) is another film where it's legend precedes it. In fact, the legend may be bigger than the film. Yes, it's deeply disturbing and sometimes hard to watch. But is it a good movie? Again, you must be the judge. It's definitely a simple movie. The first half of the film features the main character being raped over and over again. The second half shows her seeking her revenge. It is a bit similar to Wes Craven's Last House on the Left but there is one big difference. Whereas Craven threw in some bizarre comic moments to try and lighten the mood, there is nothing funny going on here (and I'm not sure it works in Last House anyway). The rape scenes seem to last an eternity. And they are brutal. She is raped by three men and a fourth beats her because he can't force himself on her (if you're paying attention he's a homosexual). I found myself wanting to fast forward but could not. A friend of mine made a valid point in asking if these scenes should be candy-coated and look like fun to an audience, or should they be realistic, hard hitting, and disgusting? Director Meir Zarchi is going for realism. And I think it worked, maybe too well because none of the four men ever worked again. By the time our heroine goes into vengeance mode, you will be more than ready and the men get exactly what's coming to them.

I Spit On Your Grave - great drive-in movie

Author: dhtucker4 from United States
19 August 2005

My friends and I saw this movie with a triple bill (the other two were the classic "White Trash, Part II" and "The Hills Have Eyes"). What I noticed in this movie was that the river flows both ways - how comical. This whole movie has godawful dialogue, from top to bottom in every character. What I liked about this movie is that it portrayed a woman as a killer (no, "Psycho" doesn't count). Don't take a woman to see this movie.

The other movie "White Trash, Part II" was more enjoyable for its really bad script, the actors, the premise of the movie, the excrement-filled dialogue, the location, etc. Me and my friends who saw this movie still quote lines from "White Trash, Part II" to this day. No, there was not a "White Trash, Part I." I'm still trying to get a videotape of this movie for over 15 years - no luck so far.

A shocking story of brutal revenge

Author: theundertaker180
22 October 2001

An extremely brutal and shocking film about a young author who is attacked and repeatedly raped by 3 local rednecks and their retarded friend whilst on holiday in the countryside. Camille Keaton stars in the lead role as the poor victim who following the assault, goes on a quest for revenge and hangs, castrates and chops the 4 attackers to death in retribution. This is another one of the films that started off the "Video Nasties" furore by the media, owing to the extremely lengthy gang rapes which are depicted with gritty realism and are almost unwatchable. Directed by Meir Zarchi, this is perhaps one of the most famous of the video nasties probably because it is one of the better films on the list.

Good genre movie

Author: am_car from Norway
29 April 2001

I watched the VIPCO release of this movie which is supposed to be uncut. It is a pretty well made "rape-revenge" movie, about an attractive young female writer who is going to spend some time alone in an old house in the countryside. Obviously the local boys think she's a tad too attractive and they bring her out in the forest where they engage in raping and beating the woman up. She manages to get back to her house but the boys pay her another visit and treat her no different than the first time. Anyway, she rejuvenate and returns, to kill each one of the bastards who engaged in abusing her. Their "leader" even get his wee-wee cut off and bleeds to dead. Anyway, the movie is pretty well made. I found the rape-scenes to be rather disturbing and you definitely want the rapists to die slowly. So when the revenge comes it's quite a relief. It's an above average genre movie, well worth a look for fans.

Woman scarred takes revenge

Author: neil ghezzar (nghezzar@bu.edu) from Boston, MA
24 November 1998

Okay, the movie is shocking. Therefore it is not suggested that the timid see this movie. Also, if you happen to be a diehard horror/slasher fan, this movie probably isn't for you either. But given that the movie has many technical faults, it still has shock value. See it only for that reason.

Deserves More Positive Attention

Author:
13 July 2008

I Spit on Your Grave surprised me; it is far more intelligent and restrained than the hype suggests, and much less exploitative than many mainstream movies today.

Camille Keaton's character is somewhat unique, in that she neither a ditsy sexpot nor a humorless ball-buster. Instead she is friendly, feminine and intelligent. The opening scenes give no hint of what's to come. We are treated to lush views of the countryside, see Jennifer settle into the cottage, get down to writing, and make small talk with the locals.

All this unfolds comfortably and if you didn't already know exactly what was going to happen, you'd never guess these same men would attack her later on down the road.

One interesting thing is the progression that occurs during the attacks themselves. The first time she is raped it is almost like a stupid prank gone too far. Afterwards, stumbling around lost in the woods (which have changed from idyllic to menacing), the men find her again and they too have changed. They are no longer intimidated by her; the power has shifted in their favor, and the more they abuse her the more their contempt for her grows.

The violence escalates with the second rape, and by the time she stumbles home and is attacked for the third time, these guys are drunk on power. The awkward, child-like man who couldn't bring himself to participate in the earlier rapes suddenly behaves like a frat boy, doing a hammy strip tease over the still, battered body of the woman he had once shyly admired. They hit her for not being submissive. They hit her for "lying there like a mannequin." They read out the draft of her novel and mock it, laughing.

None of this is titillating or glamorized. These rapes are clearly unerotic and humiliating, for the victim, the perpetrators, and the viewer.

We then follow Jennifer recovering in the aftermath, and the men getting nervous about the consequences of what they did. I liked the scene of her scotch-taping the torn pages of her draft novel back together, and that we get to see her writing again. I like the quite way she strikes back at her attackers, the way she lulls them into a false sense of security, uses their own arrogance against them, and the way she remains so serene and pretty while making them suffer and beg.

The best part of the castration scene is when she goes downstairs and listens to Puccini to drown out the sound of the man's dying screams.

This movie does not deserve all the bad press it received. Although made in 1978, the way it tackles the theme of rape is still, apparently, ahead of our time.