IMDb > Grease (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Grease

Grease More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 37:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Grease Will Always Be The Word...

Author: Theater_Princess19 from United States
31 May 2005

How do I start? I love this film! It has a great plot line and incredible music. It is a fun musical that makes you want to get up and dance.

Grease is the story of Danny Zucko and Sandy Olsen (or Dumbruski) two high school seniors who fall in love over the summer. They have a wonderful summer together and are sad to see it end. The first day of school arrives and little does Danny know him and Sandy would soon be reunited. But Sandy is shocked to find the nice guy she meet at the beach is the leader of a greaser gang called 'The T'birds' Meanwhile Sandy is trying to fit in with her new "friends" the T'birds female counterparts The Pink Ladies. Will Sandy and Danny ever be together again? Along with this plot comes song that will be stuck in your head for centuries. Such songs include Summer Nights, Beauty School Dropout and the now famous song Greased Lightining. Grease is a timeless classic that will have you singing and dancing by the end of the movie.

'It's Still the Word'

Author: Kelly Archer from Cheltenham, England
5 May 2004

Sandy and Danny, their names alone mean nothing, together they represent the film we all know and love that brought us 'Summer Nights' and 'Greased Lightnin'. Grease is an infamous musical-play turned film, adapted and produced by Allan Carr, chartering the summertastic rock 'n' roll of the 1950s, centring on the highs and lows of a group of teenagers at high-school, Rydell High.

The film begins with two people having a summer romance, Sandy (Newton-John) an uptight, naïve, nerdy Australian girl and Danny (Travolta), a 'jack-the-lad' 'T' bird. After the opening credits which are amusing cartoons of the main characters we see the two well known groups of teenagers, the Pink Ladies and the 'T' Birds going back to school after summer vacation. The rest of the film centres mostly on the relationship of Sandy and Danny, the problems they face, and the ups and downs of their high school chums. The main characters and the unusual pairing of Sandy and Danny makes for comfortable viewing.

My favourite part of the film is the music, this film has such a brilliant soundtrack. If you have the chance to watch the film on DVD you get the added bonus of a songbook. However with a musical film you do find some parts unrealistic when they sing, why would a group of lads sing Summer Nights for example? Yet that aside the songs, mostly corny love songs are addictive and easy to pick up unfortunately will be in your head all day. Grease may not have had a lavish budget like films made today, but this 1978 film directed by Randal Kleiser still manages to have great audience appeal. Its' scenes and costumes are basic and probably didn't break the bank to produce but this all adds to the realism of the film.

I like the film and could watch it over and over again. Newton-John's debut performance is excellent but her character Sandy is too 2D and has no depth. Travolta's performance is to perfection and this film benchmarked his film career. Danny is 3D, he can be loving, self obsessed, a saviour and a winner, whereas Sandy to me is just a bore. All characters bring something different to the film making it a success. Rizzo is the hard nosed cow, bitchy about Sandy, possibly jealous, who seeks revenge on her boyfriend by going out with his arch enemy. There is also Marcy who loves the men and has lots of boyfriends, and Frenchy who becomes Sandy's best friend who is caring.

This uplifting, audience grabbing film may be slightly cheesy but there is just so much to love about it, especially the soundtrack and dance moves! This gives it longevity making it such a great film that could be the best musical ever made. This classic film deserves a 5/5 just for being groovy! But I just can't stop thinking why is it called Grease?!

amazing

Author: grace b. from los angeles, ca
7 October 2004

This play turned movie is one my favorites. It has mostly anything you could ask for. Being a romance, comedy, musical and so much more, makes it unique. John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Stockard Channing, Didi Cohn, Jeff Conaway and so many more make this an all-star hit. This movie well illustrates what the 50s was all about. I must say, anyone who thinks its ovverrated or anything else bad must've not really thought and seen how amazing this classic is. I will keep and treasure my 20th anniversary DVD to share with my children, my children's children, and so on. The vocals in this film are outstanding, with the breath-taking voice of Olivia Newton-John, and John Travolta's rock numbers. Its a timeless hit that will have people enjoying it throughout the ages.

Adorable

Author: frankwhat from Lakewood, NJ
13 September 2004

I hated this movie when I was a teenager and I'm so pissed at myself because of that. Looking at this movie now in my 20's I can appreciate what a fun-loving view of life this provides. All the songs are of at least decent quality but three of them in particular are just amazing. This is hands down one of the better musicals out there. The choreography can't be more well done than shown here. It's funny because I liked "Saturday Night Fever" better when I was younger but now I don't care for that movie and the exact opposite happened with this one...go figure. Olivia Newton-John is just gorgeous, why she didn't star in many movies afterward I'll never understand and god what a voice!!! John Travolta was great, and everyone else (especially Stockard Channing) were all fabulous. Oh and if you ever go to a Karaoke night make sure you do the "Grease Megamix" sometime throughout the night as it'll get the crowd pumped guaranteed.

Final Synopsis:

Movies : I did see this when I was in high school because it was re-released in the late 90's in theaters but stupid macho me back then didn't care for it. This is one you can view easily on the silver screen and enjoy it just as much for a lot cheaper.

DVD Purchase : Couldn't resist for only $9.

Rental : This could easily be a once a year habit.

One of the best (and most enjoyable) musicals!

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
31 March 2003

GREASE (1978) **** John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Jeff Conaway, Stockard Channing, Dinah Manoff, Eve Arden, Sid Caesar, Edd `Kookie' Byrnes, ShaNaNa, Frankie Avalon, Joan Blondell, Ellen Travolta, Eddie Deezen, Lorenzo Lamas. One of the best Broadway musicals ever adapted for the big screen largely thanks to producer Allan Carr and director Randal Kleiser set at Rydell High circa 1950s with Travolta (in his other iconic role) as leather jacket wearing, hunky hood with a heart-of-gold Danny Zuko recalling his `Summer Nights' with Aussie sexpot Newton-John (in her sunny to sultry iconic turn) as goody-goody Sandy who learns some things from The Pink Ladies' tough yet tender leader Rizzo (Channing, ditto). Good old fashioned knuckle-headed comedy and toe-tapping tunes that will have you dancing and singing along to `Greased Lightning' (imagine Elvis doing this!) , the dance contest's hyper-paced `Hand Jive' sequence and the closer `We Go Together'. Title tune by Franki Valli. A film I've seen probably a hundred times and never tire of.

One of the best musicals brought to the big screen.

Author: uhmyeahhbrooke from United States
21 July 2007

Although it is old, Grease is still loved and watching by adults and children alike. Once you watch Grease you just want to get up and dance! Grease is the story of bad-boy Danny and good-girl Sandy meeting each other over summer break then happen to returning to the same school. There's a great mix of kids, they all are very different and have one thing that separates them very much from each other. There's a great mix of songs too; slow and very fast. Also, the dancing is amazing. The end also blows your mind and just makes you so astonished, but in such a good way. The up-beat fun never stops and makes you want to watch the movie again and again. Grease is a definite must see for everyone!

The Moral Corruption of Sandy

Author: CalvinValjean
28 March 2007

Grease definitely has a fun energy to it, and all of the cast has great chemistry. That's the main reason that this film, despite being nearly 30 years old and set 20 years earlier than that, still manages to appeal to young people of today who laugh and have fun with it, and of course, sing those timeless songs. So hats off to Grease for that.

Now that being said: the movie is incredibly stupid! It's basically a 90 minute episode of Happy Days or Saved By the Bell in which we follow various plot lines in a high school, strung together by the fun songs. We're treated to such stupid dialog as: "This year, I don't take no crap from nobody." "Yes, ma'am. No, ma'am." "Hey, it's Eugene!"

In one plot line, Frenchy (who's a memorable character but dumber than a bag of nails) becomes a beauty school drop out. However, aside from being an excuse for Frankie Avalon to sing that song, the plot line goes nowhere and she still magically graduates high school along side everyone else. Who knew it was so easy to drop out and get back in?

But then there's the main plot line: two youths named Danny and Sandy fall in love one summer, which is just fine in the real world, but once back in high school, they realize they're in different social cliques; he's a greaser and she's a goody-goody. Throughout the school year their relationship takes several turns, before arriving at an absurd ending in which all problems are magically solved by Sandy getting a makeover and becoming "cool." The message here is so superficial that it's actually funny: "Give in to peer pressure and be whatever kind of person you need to be to make your boyfriend or girlfriend happy." Considering Sandy has been celibate through all of the movie till now, I think it's implied Danny will get a nice surprise that night; a message to give to young girls, ha ha.

So, to wrap up this little review, Grease certainly has its moments, and IS a well-made movie musical, or else it wouldn't have the audience it does. It's a feel-good movie; it just has zero substance.

This movie is the best..... a true classic

Author: lysraypec09 from United States
26 June 2005

Since I am still just a teen, I know that many others might say I am not one to criticize a movie, and in most cases I might disagree, but with this movie... what is there to criticize? The atmosphere of the movie, the charisma of the actors, the addiction to the awesome songs in it, even the what could have been outdated costumes instantly became a Halloween fave... I myself dressed up as "new" Sandy when I was little... and I still wish I could have been in the movie. I admit, the sequel to it seemed horrible to me after watching the original, and I wished they had kept all of the original actors, and well, not tried to even make the sequel, but, well a movie like that can only be made once I suppose. Anyways, I just want to give my props and admiration to all of the directors, actors, and others who helped with this movie, (being an ITS member myself and LOVING acting) I think that anyone who has not seen this movie needs to go right to the store and find it.... otherwise they really missed out. :)Thanks for reading this, hope you agree!

The best musical of all time!

Author: Adriane (adriane7@mindspring.com) from chandler, az
4 October 1999

No other musical beats this one! The cast is perfect, and it is very funny as well. Travolta is still a babe. Watching this movie, you will be singing the songs with everybody. Fun cast, great songs and appeal still make this a great film today. Grease is still the word!

The best musical off all time.....

Author: famousgir1 from London/England
16 April 2001

Grease has to be the best musical off all the time. The wonderful actors and actress' give there characters all they've got and bring out a wonderful performance all the way through the movie especially John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Stockard Channing and Didi Conn. And, who can forget the music. Absolutely amazing. It's no wonder that the Grease soundtrack in the best selling musical soundrack ever. (It sure is brilliant.) Grease really is the word. It's fantastic. 10/10

Page 1 of 37:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]