IMDb > Foul Play (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Foul Play

Foul Play More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Harmless fun with some great standouts.

Author: ckhit from United States
24 October 2009

If I were seeing this movie today for the first time I would most likely not be able to enjoy it as much as I do. My first viewing was as a young teenager who was wide-eyed with jaw opened at anything I saw on the big screen. FP was at the very top of my list in 1978 and for many years there after. Seeing it again today is nostalgic. It's like getting your hands on an Etch A Sketch for the first time in 20 years. It may not stand up to today's hand held video games, but gosh darn it it's just a lot of fun! Goldie Hawn is at her best here playing the innocent librarian who's been afraid to get back out in the world after a break-up. At the urging of a friend she makes an attempt and finds herself in the middle of a farce which has many standout performances. Among them is the great Burgess Meredith, a slapstick bit with Billy Barty, a series of scenes with Dudley Moore that keep you thinking "OMG there he is again!"- right up to the end of the movie. Brian Dennehey is the consummate performer as always. I've never been a big fan of Chevy Chase but this is early enough in his career to be neither too smug or too redundant of a performance. And there is enough crazy characters like "the Albino", "Scarface", and "The Dwarf" aka Stiltskin to make an attempted murder of the Pope into a light-hearted comedy. The music starts with the first dramatic drum beats of "The Mikado", has a couple oldies form Barry Manilow and has the heavy handed sound track style of the seventies that lets you know with your eyes closed whether a dramatic moment or a car chase is happening (all my favorites). Overall I find this movie much like the country boy initially found having his truck commandeered in the police chase..."Far Out!"

The 70s were a groovy time!

Author: glumpy_99 (glumpy_99@hotmail.com) from Australia
5 May 2003

*very minor spoilers*

This gleefully amusing comedy/thriller still gets loud, uproarious chuckles from me on each viewing. Having just watched it again recently, I took note of the *very* non-PC sensibilities, (just to name a few: usherettes used as sex toys, open sexual obscenity from Dudley Moore, the brutal beating of a dwarf, Chevy Chase's detective *openly* offering Goldie Hawn a marijuana joint, the stereotyping of Asians as over-excited etc.) I can't imagine the most outrageous Tom Green/Adam Sandler comedy getting away with *half* the stuff on show here, or for that matter managing to pull it off with such style. I also couldn't imagine the MPAA today granting a PG rating to a film that features all of this, plus two senior citizens discussing the correct spelling of the term relating to 'having relations with one's mother.'

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a wonderful film that wouldn't be as great if not for these elements. But I think it is an interesting document as to how movies, especially comedies, have changed. Loved Burgess Meredith's (R.I.P.) victory line, "She was one tough momma!" Always gets a laugh out of me! And an often ignored one: "Intermission is in five minutes and I've gotta go warm up the...uh...weinies." Also worth noting is Goldie Hawn, at her most adorable.

****1/2 out of 5.

Still one of the best comedy...

Author: Bill Cheng from United States
2 July 2006

Just saw it again on HBO. I cannot remember how many times I have seen it. But every time I happen to come across it on TV or cable, I just have to watch it till the end. It's nice clean fun. It is also a very cute movie. The plot is not too convoluted, which is not so usual for comedy. Goldie Hawn, Chevy Chase, and Dudley Moore were perfect. The comedy timing was right on the money. Nothing look forced here, unlike many of their other movies. There were also nice quiet moments that were handled just right. This movie is top on my list for comedy. I cannot think of any comedy that is overall better than this. Why can't they make movies like this any more?

A Young Looking Goldie

Author: whpratt1 from United States
7 November 2005

Viewed this film when it first came out and enjoyed the entire picture. However, viewing this picture in 2005, I enjoyed this film will a great deal more appreciation of the great talents of Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn and supporting former veteran actor, Burgess Meredith. Goldie Hawn,(Gloria Mundy),"Protocol",'84 had a big problem with a pack of smokes that was put in her purse by a murdered man and the entire plot revolves around Gloria trying get some help from the local police department. Chevy Chase,(Tony Carlson),"Bad Meat",'03, is a detective who finally decides to help Gloria with her problem and seems to be getting romantically involved. Gloria works at a library and is beginning to fall into the Old Maid type of character, however, she would like to meet her Knight in Shinning Armor! Burgess Meredith, (Mr. Hennessey),"State of Grace",'90, is Gloria's landlord and sort of takes a deeply fatherly interest in Gloria and gives an outstanding supporting role. This film is very entertaining, with drama and lots of comedy.

Fun for everyone!

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
5 November 2005

This is hilarious when I first saw it! You got some fine actors to make this movie. Goldie Hawn fresh out of "Laugh-In" and "Saturday Night Live" great Chevy Chase. Who could forget those clumsy scenes he always make. I liked the part where he called warm milk "albino martini" whatever he called it its cool with me. This comedy spoofs all of Hitchcock's finest works rolled up into one fine movie comedy I've ever seen. The scenery of California haven't been better from a bird's eye view. And the scene of San Francisco is great as well. The one thing that really cracks me up is the fight scene between Delia/Gerda(Rachel Roberts) and Mr. Hennessey(Burgess Meredith) was a complete riot. Compare with the scene from "The Return of The Pink Panther", this one is the absolute silliest one of all. Gerda kicks off her heels and Hennessey was ready to rumble. The plant strike to the groin didn't hinder him, and Gerda misses the chop. He gets the advantage and "baby grands" her big time. That scene was extremely corny! The chase scene is memorable. I liked the part where the bad guys' Town Car crashes in the Italian restaurant. Everything else, is golden. This movie is excellent, it's marvelous, it's a precious gem in the collection archives. Enjoy while you can, YOU WON'T BE SORRY! 5 STARS!

Enjoyable mixture of comedy and suspense

Author: jrs-8 from Chicago
14 February 2005

The late Colin Higgins knew how to make a funny thriller. He had successfully done this two years earlier with the screenplay for "Silver Streak" and he did it again here with "Foul Play" his directorial debut.

The film stars Goldie Hawn as a shy librarian who unwittingly gets caught up in an assassination plot. Chevy Chase plays the cop assigned to the case who falls in love with her. A nice supporting cast is headed by Burgess Meredith as Hawn's karate expert landlord. His fight with the villainous Rachel Roberts is a highlight. Brian Dennehy (in a very early role) plays Chase's partner. Finally one must mention Dudley Moore who is a scene stealer in a small role that, no doubt, helped his getting cast in "10." The first act of the film sets up the thriller aspect of the story as Hawn repeatedly gets into trouble and runs for her life. There are a couple of legitimate scares early on. Higgins wisely (after a meet cute pre-title scene) keeps Chase off screen for almost 30 minutes so we can get into the main story and care about Hawn. When Chase re-enters the film he is surprisingly laid back in the role and comes off fairly believable. Again credit must go to Higgins for keeping Chase at bay. Had he run amok like his SNL persona it would have killed the movie. Save for one pratfall off a pier Chase pretty much keeps in character.

The other key element to the success of the film is that Hawn and Chase have terrific chemistry together. It's apparent in their first scene together. A sweet scene in front of a fireplace where the two discuss their thoughts on the other when they first meet is one of the best scenes in the film. It's clear to see why they would team up again two years later in the less successful "Seems Like Old Times." I would love to see some writer come up with a good story for the two of them to do now.

Of course in comedy/suspense films you have to have your share of humor to offset the suspense and thrills. Higgins does a good balancing act between the two so as to not make it so jarring it feels like two movies altogether. As with his other films similar to this (Silver Streak and Nine to Five) we have an enjoyable film and nothing more. We won't look back on it as a classic but we can always tune into it for two hours of pure entertainment.

The laughs never stop, even as dead bodies show up from time to time

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
13 February 2005

Gloria (Goldie Hawn) is a divorced librarian who leads a quiet and empty existence. At a friend's wedding, she is urged to embrace life by taking a few chances. On the way home from the wedding, Gloria decides, therefore, to pick up a hitchhiker who is young and attractive and in desperate need of her help. But, what peril awaits her! The hitcher is an undercover policeman, running from a group of hit men. He gives Goldie a roll of film from his camera and asks her to hold it for him. Alas, he does not live to reclaim it. What's more, the criminals are hot on the trail, seeking to take her out of the picture. Gloria seeks support from a nice police detective (Chevy Chase) when she realizes there is someone stalking her. Will he help rescue Gloria from certain disaster? This movie has it's scary moments but the laughs never stop. Hawn and Chase are marvelous as the main characters who may be falling in love as the bodies are dropping around them. Dudley Moore does a marvelous turn as an innocent bystander, caught in the web of intrigue. Even though the film was made almost 30 years ago, it earns the right to be a perennial favorite. It's timeless quality never goes foul.

Breaks the mold

Author: on_the_can from Canada
19 September 2009

Mystery/thriller comedies come and go fairly often with mixed results, but Foul Play is a rarity that stands out among them.

Goldie Hawn gets mixed up in a murder plot when she's unwittingly handed evidence by a dying man. Suddenly she becomes the target of an assortment of killers and stalkers. Along the way she meets a handful of colourful characters, one of which played by Chevy Chase is a smart mouthed cop who after some convincing realizes her trouble and helps her out.

The reason Foul Play stands out from others of its genre is that the mystery plot that the movie centers around is dealt with with genuine Hitchcockian flare. It's not there just to set up a series of gags, it's there to make the whole thing interesting. You could strip away all the humour and still have an engaging story, the jokes just make the whole thing more fun. The final act of the film does deviate a bit from that flare I've been praising but even the best of dramatic thrillers often lose steam once the mystery's been solved...at that point in the movie it's pretty much pure comedy.

It's aged pretty well too, although younger crowds may still be a little put off by the seventies-ness of it. I'm 25 and loved it, but I also saw it several years ago and wasn't nearly as impressed. Good movie, check it out.

"Beware of the dwarf".

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
26 July 2009

Gee… they don't make comedy / thrillers like this anymore. It kind of reminded me of John Landis more so crazy nocturnal comedy / thriller 'Into the Night' (1985). 'Foul Play' is a quirky, offbeat charmer with a Hitchcock vibe (or a tribute you could say) and two stars (a perky, fresh face Goldie Hawn and smoothly brash Chevy Chase) that shared an outstanding rapport whenever on screen. Who again would team up two years later in the pleasant comedy "Seems like Old Times"… which now I think is even better.

Hawn plays a tainted librarian who gets caught in an assassination plot and chased by underground figures, which no one believes her at first. Well that's until parts of her story come together, and Chase a detective assigns himself to protect her.

Nonetheless bouncing off those two stars, were plenty of humorously wonderful supporting roles. Nothing would beat the comical turn of Dudley Moore's recurring character, where he seemed to be caught of guard in some embarrassing positions by the lovable Hawn. There are good impressionable parts by Burgess Meredith, Rachel Roberts, Eugene Roche, Brian Dennehy, Marc Lawrence, Don Calfa, Billy Barty and William Frankfather as the quiet, but deadly giant assassin Whitey Jackson - The Albino.

Director/writer Colin Higgins zesty kick is bright (just look at the wonderful location work of an eye-catching San Francisco and openly flowing photography) and sharply tailored to the chase plot with its screwy occurrences, but smart groundwork. The characters (who do come and go) don't literally go-out of the way to invent a gag, but being apart of them as they unfold from the many odd situations of mistaken thoughts and identities. There's a complete batch of them laced with a dangerously murderous impulse. The cruising soundtrack can get the heart going with it racy charges and gleeful spruce in adding to the breezy story. While it's long-winded, it doesn't feel it.

Nostalgically enjoyable mayhem.

Yellow in the movie

Author: getclose2me3 (getclose2me3@comcast.net) from Chester, Virginia
17 October 2004

I noticed while watching this movie the other day that many of the items in the movie are yellow. Some of these items include Gloria Mundy's umbrella, her walls in her apartment, the shirt that the albino wears, the flowers she brings to the midget while he is in the hospital, when Chevy Chase answers the phone one time he answers it with "yellow" instead of hello, and many other items throughout the movie are the color yellow. I was wondering if anyone had any idea about why these items are colored yellow and the significance of the color in this movie. I am a high school student and am studying archetypes in my English class at the moment and I know that yellow means warmth, happiness, as well as greed, but I'm not quite sure whether any of these would apply to this movie or whether it pertained to something completely different. If anyone knows, please write me an email at getclose2me@comcast.net or respond on here. Thanks for your time!

Page 3 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]