Delírios de um Anormal (1978) Poster

11 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
For advanced students of psychedelic sleaze only.
roganmarshall23 February 2001
According to the box (and as an aside - God bless Something Weird Video!), this feature is cobbled together from material censored out of Marins' earlier "Coffin Joe" films. Though there are plenty of topless girls, and a good bit of torture and mayhem as well, the content of this movie seems to indicate that the censors in question (Brazilian?) had more serious issues with intense hallucination sequences. The handful of scenes which comprise the framing device, some mumbling business about a psychotic guy and the people trying to cure him, are certainly inept and boring enough, but this is actually a relief, because the hallucinations are pretty overwhelming, and you'll be happy for opportunities to catch your breath. An endless barrage of utterly grotesque and disjointed imagery, much of which seems to be intended as literal hellscapes, is liberally flavored with nude women, partially obscured by psychedelic lighting and editing effects, and staged on sets which must be seen to be believed (parts of actors' bodies are often built into the backdrop). It's easier to compare this to other movies than it is to describe it; if you can imagine Kenneth Anger's Satan movies, interspersed with gore scenes from H.G. Lewis, and rationalized by the further insertion of pieces of a fifties health class film on mental hygiene, you're on the right track; and, not to be snotty, but if you can't imagine that, you might not be ready to watch this one. If one can judge by this film alone (as, unfortunately, I must, though that won't be the case for long), Marins' big influences are Jung, Bosch, and E.C. Comics, which places this picture in heavy company by virtue of its aspirations alone, despite its technical shortcomings. (Not to mention that its very incoherency makes this movie a more accurate picture of some forms of schizophrenia than many more "serious" films which address the same subject.)
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Many Points in Common with Freddy Krueger
Claudio Carvalho26 June 2011
The psychologist Dr. Hamilton (Jorge Peres) is fascinated by the supernatural and adores his wife Tânia (Magna Miller). Out of the blue, Dr. Hamilton has daydreams and nightmares with Zé do Caixão that wants to take Tânia to deliver his perfect offspring. His colleagues at the Psychiatric Clinic Dr. Adolfo Hansen invite José Mojica Marins, who is the creator of Zé do Caixão, to convince Dr. Hamilton that the character is not real but fruit of his imagination.

"Delírios de um Anormal" is a boring collection of footages from other movies from Zé do Caixão a.k.a. Coffin Joe. However, it is interesting to see that this 1978 film has many points in common with Wes Craven's "Nightmare on Elm Street" (1984) and the idea of an evil supernatural being that attacks in nightmares might have been the source of inspiration for the creation of Freddie Kruger. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "Delírios de um Anormal" ("Delirium of an Abnormal")
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An Exhaustive Summation of A Cutting Edge Career
tash-829 November 2000
Marins' HALLUCINATIONS is a brilliant collage consisting of many disturbing, bizarre, and imaginatively perverse scenes which were censored from his earlier films. A man, Dr. Hamilton, is having nightmares in which Coffin Joe, Marins' demonic alter-ego, repeatedly kidnaps his wife for the purpose of superhuman procreation (a theme which runs through the Coffin Joe films). Fellow psychiatrists seek the help of Marins the filmmaker, in an attempt to force Hamilton back into reality. Of course, Marins mastery of cinematic metaphysics throws all matter of logic and rationality to the dogs, so that what you get instead is a wild journey into the dark realms of the unconscious. The film is as much about Marins and his controversial career as it is an underground "head " film, and to get anything out of it, it's helpful to understand who and what Coffin Joe is. Once you can appreciate Marins' mastery of "the aesthetics of garbage," you'll realise how brilliant and undervalued he is in international cinema.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hallucinations of a Deranged Mind
Scarecrow-8824 June 2010
Psychiatrist Dr. Hamilton(Jorge Peres)is tormented by director José Mojica Marins' fictional creation Zé do Caixão who is running rampant in the poor doctor's mind, threatening to attain his wife, Tânia(Magna Miller), who he considers the perfect, superior woman to bear him a son. Merely an excuse to use footage from other movies, José Mojica Marins crafts a bizarre tale of mindwarp proposing the possibility that creation can manifest itself in a form outside the cinematic sphere. His colleagues hope to lure Hamilton out of his nightmares, so he can function once again in society, and be absent of the trauma which currently haunts him. José Mojica Marins even incorporates himself into the story, the creator called upon to assist the doctors/associates of Hamilton's in helping the psychiatrist secure a cure for what ails him. HALLUCINATIONS OF A DERANGED MIND is chock full with freakish imagery such as reptiles, tarantulas crawling over the chests of sleeping women, acid thrown in a female victim's face, demons poking the heads of the damned with pitchforks before whipping them with leather straps, a man being devoured alive by fiends at Caixão's command, victims trapped in walls as they are beaten and pummeled, etc. Essentially, in the hellish plane where Caixão exists in Hamilton's troubled psyche, human suffering and anguish are a constant. Lots of sadism and nudity, we see a collection of odd images shaped and fashioned from Marins' crazed imagination. To be honest, a lot of the scenes in this movie are repetitive which made it a trial for me to sit through. And, to reiterate, a lot of past footage from other Zé do Caixão movies find their way into HALLUCINATIONS OF A DERANGED MIND, so you've seen this all before. Still Marins allows his alter ego a chance once again to be set free from his fictional confines to wreak havoc and cause mayhem.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A thin plot device allows Coffin Joe to edit together a kind of psychedelic collage using outtakes and recycled footage from earlier Coffin Joe classics. For fans only.
Infofreak7 March 2004
In 'Hallucinations Of A Deranged Mind' a psychiatrist (Jorge Peres) is being driven insane with hellish nightmares in which the sinister bogeyman Coffin Joe (Jose Mojica Marins) tries to steal his wife (Magna Miller) for the purpose of creating the perfect woman. His colleagues are so concerned they contact Marins, the creator of the Coffin Joe character, asking for his help, and he readily agrees. The movie mainly consists of outtakes and recycled footage from the earlier Coffin Joe movies including his masterpiece 'Awakening Of The Beast', which are then edited together into a kind of psychedelic collage. Newcomers to the weird and wonderful world of Coffin Joe (which is actually the anglicized name for Marins' Ze do Caixao character he debuted in 'At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul' forty years ago) will probably find 'Hallucinations...' tough going, but if you're already addicted to these extraordinary movies you'll find plenty to keep you amused/amazed. I once described Marins as being a bit like Jodorowsky on a Herschell Gordon Lewis budget, and that gives you some idea of how unique his work is. This is my sixth Coffin Joe experience and I'm now hooked for life!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fully captures the aesthetics of Latin American surrealism in a sleaze film (Spoilers!)
zardoz1222 March 2002
To those who say "Delirios de um amoral" has no plot all I can say is that you weren't paying attention. To wit: a shrink in an un-named Brazilian asylum goes insane, having bizarre halucinations that "Ze do Caixo" (Coffin Joe)wants to take his wife and make love to her, producing a "superior being" of some sort. In between those halucinations, "Dr. AM-il-TON" sees Ze do Caixo torture people (a good fake finger eating and toungue-pulling happen near the end); walk though a dark tunnel made of faces, buttocks, breasts, and bellies; make women appear and disappear in black and white; all while we see the good doctor standing in front of a black background making horrified faces. Hamilton's associates at the asylum call Jose Mojica Marins (maker of the other Coffin Joe movies) to appear before him to break the delirium, and the director does. I'm not telling how it ends, or even if it does. In this surrealistic world (all of Hamiliton's delirium - or is it?), we see the sort of earthy symbolism of Frieda Kahlo and the sort of paintings you can buy on Tijuana street corners. Women as goddesses or demons, the power of wierd little men wearing capes and top hats whose eyebrows expand and contract and who can speak in echo, bizarre set pieces like those listed above - all of it would have made a great mural; instead we get a good sleaze film.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Odds & ends.
morrison-dylan-fan14 October 2012
Getting hit with the flu at the half way point of the IMDb's Horror Board "October Challenge",I decided to go for the easiest Horror movie that I could get my hands on,and to also find out what co-writer (along with Rubens Francisco Luchetti) /director/actor Jose Mojica Marins had created almost entirely from left over's and "B-side's".

The plot:

Finding it impossible to pull Dr.Hamilton out of his coma-like nightmare,where thanks to him being pretty vocal,is on him believing that a fictional movie character called "Coffin Joe" is real,and is someone who is going to steal his true love:Tania away from him.Deciding that they have done everything possible to wake Hamilton up from his nightmare,the group of doctors reluctantly take drastic action by asking film maker Jose Mojica Marins to meet with them,so that Hamilton can come face to face with his very real nightmare.

View on the film:

Reading on the back of the Anchor Bay DVD case,that with the exception of 25 minutes,the rest of the film had been made up of left over footage from Marin's past Coffin Joe movies,I started to hope that Marins and Luchetti would take the film's script into a fourth wall breaking,surrealist Horror direction,by making the nightmares that Hamilton is experiencing,be an all encompassing look at the minds of the Coffin Joe's movies audiences/fans.Sadly,whilst the new 25 minutes cheerfully looks to have been taken from a cheap Soap Opera,Marins and editor Nilcemar Leyart make the movie a painfully dull,unbelievably plodding viewing by having the same moments of the left over/B-footage get mind-numbingly played repeatedly without a single sign of meaning or even the slightest sight of cohesiveness,that leads to this being a Coffin of Joe that you will firmly want to nail shut.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very strange and utterly impossible to follow movie
Vilmar23 March 1999
This film, from what I have read, is the censored material that was cut from Marins' older films. It looks to me like this material was thrown together to form something close to a movie, but very short of a plot or anything else for that matter. The movie is impossible to follow and had I not paid my own money to see it, I would not have finished watching it. I would not advise anyone to watch this film unless they wanted to see what, in my opinion, is one of the worst films ever.
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hallucinations of a Deranged Mind
Michael_Elliott12 January 2009
Hallucinations of a Deranged Mind (1978)

** 1/2 (out of 4)

I'll have to say right off that to date this is my first Coffin Joe film. From what I've read this might not have been the one to start off with as this here only features about twenty-five minutes worth of "newly" shot scenes mixed in with outtakes, deleted footage and censored footage from the previous films. I guess you could call this a real cut and paste job but the end results are pretty good. In the film, a doctor is having strange visions of Coffin Joe (Jose Mojica Marins) coming to steal his wife so that the evil one can create a super being. I've read that Coffin Joe's creation and stealing of women is something that runs through all of his film so there's nothing new there but I must admit that the film really captured my imagination. I'm not sure how many people will be attracted to a film like this but if you like LSD-type mind trips then this is a good one. For the most part we get very little story and instead just countless strange visuals, which range from cannibalism to naked women to other strange acts of violence being carried out by Coffin Joe. A lot of times we see the same clips being used over and over and while many are going to read this and think lazy, the director actually does a very stylish job with his low-budget nature. I had always seen images of Marins as Coffin Joe but seeing him in actual was a lot of fun. His entire look and feel were quite attractive for a horror film of this type. I haven't seen too many films from Brazil but this one here certainly has me interested in checking out the rest of the Coffin Joe films, which includes a brand new one just recently finished filming.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Functions as a 'best of' (or 'worst of') compilation of Marins work.
BA_Harrison15 June 2015
During the opening credits for Hallucinations of a Deranged Mind, a hunchback plays the bongos while circling a semi-naked woman. It's an extremely bizarre image, but pretty standard fare for cult Brazilian director José Mojica Marins, who has carved a whole career from such surreality.

For this particular film, Marins has gathered together numerous scenes from his body of work so far and cobbled them together with a little new footage to tell the story of scientist Dr. Hamilton (Jorge Peres), who suffers from terrible nightmares in which he sees cult horror icon Coffin Joe (played by Marins) trying to make off with his wife Tânia (Magna Miller). In a 'meta moment', the doctor treating Hamilton calls Marins for help, believing that the creator of Coffin Joe might hold the key to curing the nightmares, which in turn gives Marins an idea for his next film.

With the majority of the running time taken up by Hamilton's nightmares, which are essentially a compilation of random freaky imagery taken out of context (not that they had much context to begin with), Hallucinations of a Deranged Mind is an incredibly tedious, meaningless experience and a colossal waste of time, especially for anyone who has already seen most of Marins better known films.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this