The Deerslayer (TV Movie 1978) Poster

(1978 TV Movie)

2 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Backs away from its source to its disadvantage
rsoonsa10 January 2001
Adding details far from James Fenimore Cooper's novel of the same name, this film fails on its own, as well as an adaptation, to stir interest in a viewer. Sinking in a morass of silliness (hand grenades during the French and Indian War!), the script produces inane dialogue and inconsistent development. Much of the acting is painfully poor with woeful miscasting, including a panoply of obviously non-Indian Indians. The direction surrenders to the vagaries of the scenario. One pleasant surprise is that the film captures an early performance by an ethereal Madeleine Stowe.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Deerslayer is one of Schick Sunn Classics and ranks high to me
ABomb29 March 2003
I strongly believe that Sunn Schick Productions did posterity a great service. This film and Legend of Sleepy Hollow are only two of the many films they did in the 1970's. Do you remember the Life & Times of Grizzly Adams ? They made that too.

This film mantains it's accuracy by the fact that you learn and not just see SDFX hype. This is truly a classic movie about the early America era and I would recommend anyone watch it. I would rank this and all the Sunn Schick films a 10++ See it whenever you can get a copy.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this