IMDb > Deathsport (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Deathsport More at IMDbPro »

Very entertaining

Author: Ryan H (BikerFox) from Hell, OK
6 December 2004

I can understand all of these bad reviews, but rest assured if you love terrible B movies (like The Stuff) or just totally love David Carradine because you saw kill bill too many times, this movie is awesome! I got it before kill bill came out, and soon after watching Death Race 2000 for the millionth time. I thought it was a sequel, but this movie is not even on par with Death Race. Very cheesy music, sounds straight from Star Wars, and the "death machines" are just dirt bikes with aluminum foil. But if all of that sounds cool to you (it did to me), you won't be disappointed. Its got a few decapitations, a lot of unnecessary explosions. There are boobs and neon lights. Really it has just everything a movie should have, and to top it of the most cheesy B movie ending duel I have ever seen. Even though this movie is very bad on many levels, I have to give it a 8/10. It is always entertaining and funny from beginning to end.

Best Character: Ankar Moor (played terribly by Richard Lynch) Best Line: "Now we will have our duel!" "I agree." Best Violence: Kaz slices off motorcyclists head and it pops way in the air

a rare gem in the crown of deadly movies

Author: biggeorge1977 from United States
29 September 2005

A followup flick to Deathrace 2000,Deathsport is a wild thrilling ride.Very much underrated,and a cult classic for sure.You like deadly laser blasting dirt bikes?Futuristic noble knights of the apocalypse?Crystal sword fights?And a host of bad-guys dying ever few minutes?And an insane dictator with sadistic sexual tastes?If you find you like this movie or Deathrace 2000,check out Circle of Iron,another lost Carradine seventies classic that was scripted by Bruce Lee and stars Mr Carradine in four different roles.This ain't no academy award winning stuff,so don't expect a lot from a low budget sci fi opus.Just enjoy it for what it is,and tell all your friends.

They just don't write 'em like that anymore

Author: Chris. from Australia
1 December 2005

Inexpensive sequel to "Death Race 2000" (1975), that bares little relation (both in content and quality) to the original. Gone is the camp dialogue and black humour - arrived is a painfully ear-splitting synthesiser score, pyrotechnic displays and banal screenplay. The only redemption that can be attributed to "Deathsport" is its cast and some of the action sequences. In a distant, post apocalyptic future, reticent hero David Carradine (no reprisal of his Frankenstein role here) competes in a motorcycle race that is actually a spectator sport. Having mashed a few brains beneath the wheels of his motorcycle, our cyborg hero develops a cult following much to the chagrin of the evil Ankar (Richard Lynch in fine form). Ankar considers himself the bigger enchilada, and sets out to annihilate Carradine and his flock.

Formula science fiction fare, with a just a hint of talent, courtesy of a capable cast and some light humour. Alongside the fearless Carradine is former Playboy playmate, Claudia Jennings, whose frequent disrobing more than compensates for her apparent lack of thespian skills. Sadly, this was to be her swansong. The three principals are ably assisted by veterans William Smithers (playing it straight, as always), and David MacLean (playing it up, as always).

"Deathsport" features some fluent action sequences and macabre special effects, but unlike its witty predecessor, the laughs are largely unintentional. When all the trailblazing is over and done, and Jennings has put her clothes back on, you can't help but feel short-changed. But then, as the credits disappear into the back of your TV set, the film's origins are revealed. You nod your head and forgive, because you understand. It's a New World Picture. They don't write 'em like that anymore ...

The Biggest Sleeper Hit

Author: toxicavenger792 from Suckertowm, Florida
1 August 2004

I have to say that this movie was the most surprisingly good movie I have ever seen! (thats why I call it a sleeper hit) I bought this movie mainly because I loved Death Race 2000 so much. Now I want everyone to know it is not a sequel, it just happens to have Death in the title and star the wonderful David Carradine. I also liked how "Deathsport" solved the flaw of "Death race 2000" by saying that the movie takes place in a thousand years after tomorrow. I really thought with the bad rating and the more serious plot that it was going to suck balls big time. But then when I played it I was so shocked, that it actually was awesome. Notice I said "awesome" and not "good" because I even know that, yes, its a terrible movie. But it is also extremely entertaining. I have literally not seen so many explosions in a movie. The movie does have huge flaws and is done horribly, but its definitely a "its so bad, its good" type movie. Now it isn't so bad that its unwatchable (i.e. Plan 9), in fact I find it very watchable. I will say go into this movie prob with a friend who also likes s***ty b-movies because its hard to laugh at this movie by yourself.

*Minor Spoilers*

If you like movies with naked playmates, motorcycle explosions, some overkill, horses when shot disappear, awesome music by "Jerry Garcia", sci-fi cliques, anti-climatic deaths (including a too short duel), gladiator fights, cavemen, painted backgrounds, nomad groups a thousand years in the future, city-states, and a little girl in a guinea pig cage then this movie is for you!

Not that bad

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
29 August 2010

This film has an abysmal 2.8 rating on IMDb, but I didn't think it was anywhere near that bad. In my opinion, a movie can only really be bad if it's boring, and this movie isn't that. It is cheap and poorly made, but it's moderately fun and you can laugh at it. So it's not any kind of horrid failure. It's kind of an unofficial follow-up to one of Roger Corman's more popular productions, Death Race 2000, in that it's about a motor sport created to distract the unwashed masses and stars David Carradine. It also takes place in the future. This future is post-apocalyptic, and David Carrdine, along with hottie Claudia Jennings, are warriors who live in the wastelands. They are captured by "civilization" (which includes crazy ruler David McLean and his minion Richard Lynch) and, along with a doctor who diagnosed McLean's sanity and his rebel son (William Smithers and Will Walker, respectively), they're forced to participate in deathsport, where they basically try to survive while menacing soldiers on deathcycles try to waste them. The titular deathsport really only lasts for a few minutes in the film, and then the rest of the movie has the four heroes escaping on the deathcycles while pursued by Lynch and his thugs. The movie ends with a hilarious duel between Carradine and Lynch, using "whistlers", which are clear plastic swords that whistle when you swing them.

This is fun for cheapie!!!!

Author: Zoso (zcarey@accessalaska.net) from Alaska, USA
11 October 2002

This is the ultimate "get your freinds togeter and yell at movie"!! Agreed the effects are cheap, the acting bad, and the "jet" motorcycles. But it's endering in it's ineptness, defiately worth a rental.

A hilariously horrendous crummy hoot and a half

8 August 2010

Following the great Neutron wars, the world in the year 3000 has become divided between totalitarian city states and dangerous desert wastelands. Powerful and nomadic Zen warrior-like Ranger Guides Kaz Oshay (a very hairy David Carradine, who somehow manages to keep a straight face amid the abundant absurdity) and Deneer (a pleasingly feisty portrayal by ravishing 70's drive-in cinema goddess Claudia Jennings) are captured by the evil, deranged, and terminally ill Lord Zirpola (sullen David McLean) to participate in Zirpola's deadly gladiatorial combat game of Deathsport. Of course, Kaz and Deneer manage to escape. The wicked Ankar Moor (deliciously essayed with teeth-gnashing nasty brio by Richard Lynch) gives chase. Man, does this gloriously ghastly abomination possess all the right wrong stuff to qualify as an enjoyably atrocious stinkeroonie: hopelessly ham-fisted (mis)direction by Allan Arkush and Nicholas Niciphor (the latter also co-wrote the nonsensical script), loads of pretentious mystical mumbo jumbo about some silly sacred code of honor, cheesy (far from) special effects (the laughably lousy matte paintings are a truly sorry, yet sidesplitting sight to behold), an uproariously inappropriate wonky-spacey score by Andy Stein complete with annoying droning synthesizer and a little jazzy wailing saxophone (!), ineptly staged action scenes (the climactic swordfight between Kaz and Ankar is weirdly edited and hence totally fumbled, but at least it concludes with a gnarly decapitation), exaggerated and often ear-splitting "Road Runner" cartoon type sound effects, some seriously bad over-the-top acting (Will Walker in particular is just terrible as whiny wimp Marcus Karl), a band of cave-dwelling cannibal mutants played by a gaggle of poor extras in tattered rags who sport ping-pong ball eyes and cheap plastic dime-store fangs, plentiful garish and excessive explosions, and tin-eared dialogue (choice lame line: "Everything is within the self; nothing is outside"). As a much-appreciated added plus, we also got a satisfying smattering of tasty gratuitous distaff nudity courtesy of the always scrumptious Ms. Jennings and hot brunette former "Penthouse" Pet of the Month Valerie Rae Clark (Miss May '77) as a -- what else? -- nude dancer. (Ladies will be glad to know that Carradine spends a fair share of his screen time clad solely in a loincloth ala Charlton Heston in "Planet of the Apes.") Jesse Vint has a sizable part as Ankar's right-hand man Polna, familiar bald baddie H.B. Haggerty appears in one of his customary sneering heavy roles as a sadistic torture-happy jailer, and a baby-faced Linnea Quigley pops up in a quick uncredited bit as a courtesan. Ace cinematographer Gary Graver offers several striking visuals and makes cool occasional use of wipes. A wonderfully wretched riot!

Just Watch It

Author: edwoodjr2003 from United States
28 July 2012

I saw this movie as a kid at the theater "in the back corner of the mall" that showed those "hardcore R" movies in the late 70's - nervous buying the tix but the theater guy always let us in. Without a doubt, watchable. I'm just getting my kids to appreciate "cinema" and this one is one the list. Most of it is where we saw it versus what we saw but it's now viewable in your home at your calling. Technology. I personally dislike CGI and the proliferation of computers as "film" so these are the type of movies that now define an era gone by. Sad but true. There is an appreciation to be had with this movie that's like watching Shakespeare in the Park with motocross and entertaining foley artist work (albeit laughable).

Psychedelic Post-Apocalyptic Motorcycle Mayhem

Author: (Vomitron_G) from the Doomed Megalopolis of Blasphemous Technoids
4 June 2009

Holy Mozzarella! I can not believe this was *not* made by Italians. It's about as bonkers as Castellari's THE NEW BARBARIANS. And it's definitely far more warped. David Carradine plays some kind of futuristic hippie-warrior (they call them Range Guides, or Mystical Nomads if you will). He gets captured, imprisoned and forced to play the Deathsport game. He escapes on a silver bike, together with his fellow-hippie love interest and some blond dude who can't act. The rest of the movie they get chased by the evil Richard Lynch on a bike. Oh, and there's mutants running around the wastelands too. Bonkers, I tell you.

There are a few charming matte-paintings to behold (mainly of two futuristic cities). Lots of psychedelic color schemes, full frontal female nudity and utterly spaced-out sounds. Will you just listen to those motorcycles when they fly by? They either sound like they're screaming or farting. Even those plastic see-through swords of Carradine & his girl make undefinable "weesh"-sounds. Those big red-laser-beaming hand-blasters are pretty mind-boggling too. People and things get all red and vanish into thin air when they get hit.

One of the highlights is the sequence where Carradine (on his bike) gets chased by Lynch and his henchmen (also on bikes, of course). They drive into some abandoned military domain, and end up driving some sort of improvised but pre-arranged race circuit. There's really no explanation as to why it's there. It's just there, although it shouldn't be. Plus, during their pursuit, things just keep blowing up and randomly catch fire.

In the end, Carradine and Lynch get to face off one another during a weirdly edited sword-boss-fight. The outcome? Evil Lynch gets decapitated and Carradine gets the girl. I love it when a movie ends that way! Well, not just any movie, of course. Only the ones that star David Carradine as a womanizing hero. Well, "womanizing" probably isn't the exact word; as she's more like some soul-mate or something. But whatever, he gets the chick and that's what counts.

Botched Follow Up To Death Race 2000

Author: Nancy_Grease from Canada
10 September 2014

Roger Corman's production of Death Race 2000 was a violent heavy handed satire that turned a respectable enough profit to warrant a sequel but had to settle for a vague thematic continuation instead; Deathsport, starring David Carradine as a nomadic warrior in the future forced to engage in a battle with heavily armoured motorcycle gangs. The motivations of the characters are murky and muddled due to a rushed screenplay that was given last minute rewrites. Further doctoring required Corman to hire a second director to film additional material in the hopes of salvaging the picture. In the end it's a pale shadow of the drive-in hit which inspired it.