IMDb > Damien: Omen II (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Damien: Omen II

Damien: Omen II More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Much Better Than Most Admit

Author: aaronpynn32-1 from Canada
26 December 2008

As much as I enjoyed the original Omen I saw Damien when I was basically the same age as the main character and loved the film. So for years I figured I probably just related to the character's going through changes as he edges towards adulthood. His changes being much more drastic of course. I recently re watched this film and discovered it was more than childhood that made me enjoy this film. It truly tries to bring a more even-handed story. There is much more characterization in this film. You actually get to feel sorry for the character of Damien and yet it doesn't lose its thriller aspects.

Its a shame it was so put down when it was released because the film in ways bests the original and in others won't be able to touch it.

Go in with an open mind and you will find yourself truly enjoying this amazing film for what it is.

This one is classic!

Author: danny-418 from Reykjavík, Iceland
20 June 2008

Several years after the mysterious events that claimed the life of the U.S. Ambassador and his wife, the now teen aged and militarily enrolled Damien Thorne is slowly being made aware of his unholy heritage and horrific destiny. Woe is he (including anyone in Damien's adoptive family and his classmates) who suspects the truth or gets in his way. While not as unrelentingly frightening as its blockbuster predecessor, this more-than-competent sequel to The Omen raises some interesting questions about the nature of free will (can the Antichrist deny his birthright?) before falling into a gory series of increasingly outlandish deaths, the best of which is a terrifyingly protracted scene beneath the ice of a frozen lake. Jerry Goldsmith (who won an Oscar for his work on the first film in the series) contributes another marvelously foreboding score.

An excellent sequel and Jonathan Scott-Taylor was the best Damien

Author: horrors_R_us from United States
1 June 2007

I have to say that as fan of horror movies (whether they be new or old), I loved this sequel. I remember watching they original and being very intrigued.

When I recently heard about the sequel, though it's very old, I jumped on the opportunity to watch this. Now, I'm only fourteen, but I just loved this movie (and Jonathan Scott-Taylor). This is definitely a movie that I'm going to record on video to watch again, and again.

On to the movie itself. It was very well acted and had good graphics for it's time. People rag on some of the death scenes, but I have to say that I was impressed with what they had. Maybe Joanne's death was a little silly, but I liked that you could even have a little bit of a laugh.

I thought all of the characters were well acted, and that Jonathan Scott-Taylor was, in my opinion and a decent amount of others, the best Damien to hit the screen. With his eyes and black hair, he really set the feel of being the Antichrist. He was really, really good. The thing that I loved was how Jon made you almost feel bad for Damien. Like, when he killed Mark and then let out a strangled yell. There were even tears. It was especially heart-wrenching that Damien didn't even know he was the Antichrist until half-way through the movie. It was so sad when he screamed at the top of his lungs why it had to be him that was born of the devil and a jackal.

Overall, it was a strong movie and I highly recommend it to people who enjoyed the first film, have an open mind and aren't to hard on things like this. Afterall people, it's just a movie. It's mean't to be fun and enjoyable. Just relax and be a little less "RAWR!", 'kay? ^ ^

~Haley~

The Strongest Damien character ever

Author: josearturo34 from Mexico
26 May 2007

This movie is more about Damien instead of the omen, and that is great because in the 1st one Damien Thorn just was there, he didn't do anything, the story was around him, not about him

In this movie Damien becomes more powerful as a character, even more than The omen III

You will see not only a horror movie, is a conflict in Damien about accepting his fate. Damien will become evil but need to leave the last human feelings that he has like friendships and good intentions. an awesome movie also the final picture of the movie say everything by itself. Transformation: complete

The Omen: Redone

Author: tex-42
7 October 2006

Damien: The Omen II is essentially the same plot line as the original movie. In this one, Damien, after having his family die in the original, has come to live with his uncle and his family. This includes the uncle's second wife and his cousin, Mark. Eventually, after essentially everyone else is dead, and after multiple warnings, the uncle realizes what Damien is and that he must kill him. Much like the first movie, it becomes a race against time to see if Damien can be stopped.

Basically, this movie is exactly the same as the original. All that is missing here is the fact that there is no question as to what Damien is, and now Damien is aware of what his purpose is. The big difference in this movie is that to anyone watching, it should be obvious something is wrong with Damien. Literally any person who questions him ends up dead, almost always right after they do the questioning. Also, by the time this movie ends, Damien has pretty much taken out his entire family. While not a bad movie per se, this sequel is weak as compared to its predecessor.

This movie has its ducks in a row...

Author: runar-4 from Milwaukee WI USA
19 May 2002

...and proceeds to knock them off one by one. The question is never WHO is going to die, but HOW. I saw this as a first-run film in '78 and still have the same reaction now as I did then: just a string of somewhat creative ways to kill a bunch of people by "accident". It didn't scare me then, and it doesn't now. The one death I rather like, however, is the elevator scene.

It's impossible to spoil this one.

Author: jondaris from Baltimore, MD
6 January 2001

Spoilers? Can't be done. Damien the AntiChrist boy hits puberty. People he doesn't like die. The movie ends. There are no plot twists to give away: the whole thing is as formulaic as an infomercial, and not nearly as entertaining. This is one of those bad movies that couldn't even be made into a decent episode of MST3K.

You gotta feel for William Holden, who made this just two years after the career comeback of a lifetime in "Network." He's too much of a professional not to try, but he has nothing to try with.

All of the factors that made the The Omen work are missing here, especially the cinematography, which is flat and unappealing. Save yourself the rental fee and catch a "Golden Girls" marathon on cable instead: it will be three times as interesting as this muddled mess.

Terrible sequel to a good movie (may contain spoilers)

Author: lthseldy1 from Norfolk, VA
6 November 2001

This movie was bad. This movie takes off where "The Omen" left off. Damien is now an orphan and he is now living with his aunt and uncle and cousin and is attending a military school. There are still strange things that happen as Damien passes by but not as creepy. The stupidest parts of the film was in the military school during an argument between Damien and another schoolmate. As well as Damien getting back at whoever gets in his way as he learns more and more of his powers. After awhile, Damien acts more like a spoiled child with a temper tantrum that The Antichrist. I found this film to be long and boring and nothing like the original.

What a piece of garbage

Author: Christopher Mercurio from United States
19 August 2002

I wasn't that fond of The Omen, but I can't say it was terrible. I've seen a lot of bad movies in my time, but this one takes the cake. The movie is just more violent and grisly ways to kill people, William Holden being a bad actor instead of a good actor and William Holden trying to find out what the hell is wrong with his brother's son.(Pun intended)Damien's mother wasn't killed for nothing. Damien's father didn't try to kill him for nothing. Maybe Peck should have just stabbed him already and saved us the trouble of seeing this piece of garbage sequel. What I hate the most in this movie is the end. It took the idiot the whole movie to finally figure out his nephew was something out of hell and you would think he'd get the job done and not stall like his idiot brother in the first Omen. But of course by the time he's on to Damien it's too late and he, along with his wife, ends up just like the first couple. In such a stupid way too. Spoiler. Damien makes his aunt stab his uncle and then blows her up and walks out of the building. Wow what a great movie. Can I have my money back. 2 questions. Why was this movie made? Why where four Omen movies made? Where people dumb enough to keep going to see them. I could see the draw for a sequel. Especially a sequel to a big hit like The Omen. But you people can't always be fooled. Just watch the first Omen and stay away from this stupid movie. By the time you get to Omen 4 it'll already have gotten worse. Stay away. They get worse and worse as the series goes on. Stay away.

A guilty pleasure that will entertain if not enlighten!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
28 October 2007

While I will be the last one to say that this is a great film or a must-see, it certainly is very entertaining though you might be embarrassed to tell your friends you liked it! That's because it has a silly plot involving the spawn of Satan, occasionally lame and overwrought dialog and a style that just needs to be seen to be believed! But, despite its many shortcomings, this is still a fun little film and not nearly as awful as I'd first suspected. That's because the previous film (THE OMEN) was panned and placed in Harry Medved's "Fifty Worst Films of All Time" book. However, after having seen both films I can definitely say that there are hundreds or perhaps thousands of worse films. In fact, since they entertain and keep your attention, they really aren't bad films but more guilty pleasures!

The film begins with budding teen Damien seeming a lot like a normal boy--not acting at all like the result of a mating with the Devil and a Jackal (wouldn't that make him a son of a .....?). But, slowly, it is revealed that some around the boy are well aware of who he is and are there to serve him without fail. When he is finally told who he is, Damien suffers a short existential crisis before he ultimately gives in to the dark side....no wait, he IS the dark side! Along the way, there are countless exciting to watch and very silly deaths--some orchestrated directly by Damien and his followers and others created by either an unseen force or a nasty crow who seems to be the one behind all the mess. Because the deaths are so bloody and creative, the film reminds me a lot of the low-budget Vincent Price film, THE ABOMINIBLE DOCTOR PHIBES. The dumbest death was the lady who is hit by a truck and the most interesting and disturbing is the man who was sucked under the ice (a nice touch).

While you will be entertained, please do NOT stop to think or reason this out as this is NOT a well-constructed plot. The Biblical passages are wrong--being twisted and misquoted and the film was not meant to be anything other than a silly little exploitation film. While this may offend some religious fundamentalists, if they actually sit still and watch the film, they, too, will probably find the whole thing ludicrous yet oddly entertaining.