IMDb > Daddy, I Don't Like It Like This (1978) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Daddy, I Don't Like It Like This (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Poignant Film of a 10-year-old trapped in inner city with father

Author: Adam Bernstein (adambernstein60s@gmail.com) from Northwest, USA
27 June 2000

Adell Aldrich (son of Robert Aldrich) directed this TV film I saw when it first aired. Starring Doug McKeon as a shy sensitive 10-year-old desparate for friends, Burt Young as his father and Talia Shire as his mother. We see the New York working class neighborhood where the boy is subjected to abuse from peers, parents, and teachers, the only respite is when he happens into a field and meets a dreamlike girl.

Though you can probably tell it's a TV movie, it's nevertheless a poignant look at a boy who can't cope with such a negative environment. I think the underlying purpose is to show what life is like to such kids, which is unusual in that usually similar films are told from the parent's point of view.

I was there when they filmed it

Author: IchinenVic267 (IchinenVic267@yahoo.com) from United States
24 January 2005

This movie was filmed in Corona, Queens, NY on 38th Avenue just off 108th street when I was a kid living with my Grandma. The house across the street is where most of the indoor scenes were done and a bunch of us kids got to be extras. Pretty cool. But very sad movie. Loved it.

Talia Shire and Burt Young were great. Sly came by our street to visit. I remember about a year before they started filming two guys showed up and asked how we'd like to have a movie made on our street.

We didn't believe them until the crews started rolling in and they used the back pantry and yard of my Grandma's house to store soda, food and stuff.