IMDb > Cruise Into Terror (1978) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Cruise Into Terror (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Good atmosphere piece. A shipboard giallo.

Author: davethecelt from Boston, MA
23 April 2004

This picture was great fun back when I first saw it as a kid. Predating the spate of early 80's knife-kill flicks meant that 'Horror' as a genre still meant supernatural thriller when this picture was made, and it relies heavily on a taut atmosphere of suspicion and fear among the passengers for its shocks. There are few of the Hallowe'en style jolts that we associate with contemporary horror, in fact very little happens. Watching it again just a few years ago I was surprised that it still gave me chills from its tight, claustrophobic shooting and editing style in a way that good giallo thrillers do (and most giallo pictures, rather disappointingly do not). The writing and acting are standard made for TV disaster fare and the picture is less impressive if you focus on that. So turn the lights down, get some popcorn, turn a deaf ear to some of the shriekier dialogue and enjoy the film as a mood piece. And when the hair on your neck stands up, let it.

Star Studded Cast Rescues Ship - Film At 11

Author: GTDMAC from The ATL
11 March 2003

Seeing so many future and past TV and movie stars in this movie is a guilty pleasure at it's worst and an enjoyable nostalgic romp at it's best. With such TV icons as John Forsythe, Stella Stevens, Lee Meriwether, Hugh O'Brian adding to an all star cast that includes Ray Milland one would think the story would get lost in all that talent. Ok, it sort of does but let's face it, this is basically a 1/2 season's worth of "Love Boat" guests in a TV movie and not serious film by any stretch of the imagination. Regardless of how seriously one does take this movie it's still fun to see what was supposed to be serious horror turn into another episode of "Satan's Love Boat"! Enjoy!

It's not great but I like it...

Author: shanakin from United States
6 September 2005

Wow, I had not seen this movie in a long time and I found it at a video store and rented it for less than a buck. You can't go wrong for that. Anyway I remember seeing this as a kid in the 70's when it first aired and it freaked me out big time. (Spoiler alert) When the sarcophagus is breathing after they bring it on board the ship and with the weird Egyptian chanting I found myself that frightened little kid when I was 8 years old. I guess it would be laughable to many people but it still worked on me. Anyway overall the movie is not that bad you have a simple plot, it's not overly complicated and you have a lot of familiar actors from the 70's who always brought something to what ever they did. An just to mention you have some lovely young ladies running around in bathing suits how could you go wrong. It's great late night fare when you have nothing better to do.

Cruise Into Terror- A pretty good whodunit!

Author: richard.fuller1
16 June 2001

This was decent. Approximately ten or twelve people are on a cruise, a varied group, when the sarcophagus is found on board. I don't think they dragged it up from the ocean depths. Tragedy ensues. Among those on board are Forsythe and Lee Meriwether, rather interesting as a minister and his wife. Two women are also on board, one rather carefree, the other a bit bookwormish. The sarcophagus contains the offspring of the devil and breathes at the most inopportune moments. Forsythe reveals that when the son of the devil returns to the Earth, there will be ten to witness it. "But there are eleven of us here now," someone says. Exactly, the ten witnesses, . . . and the guardian of the child. Which one is it? Possessions are subtle, the destruction of the vessel is imminent and the survivors are racing for the lifeboat. Forsythe and Meriwether are a scream here as the ship sinks, and keep an eye out for the cat. Rather a change from usual movie animals. Haven't seen this in a while. Instead of John Forsythe, I thought the reverend was Harold Gould, who played Rhoda Morganstern's father on television's "Rhoda", but I knew Lee Meriwether was the reverend's wife.

The Cursed Boat

Author: (Vomitron_G) from the Doomed Megalopolis of Blasphemous Technoids
24 October 2011

Now this '70s made-for-TV film has a fun little bit of history to it. While at the time bigtime TV-producer Aaron Spelling was executive producer on the massively successful "The Love Boat" series, it seems as if he thought it would be a great idea to produce some made-for-TV movies with the same wonderful boat setting, only this time adding thriller & horror to the mix. One of those movies turned out to be "Cruise Into Terror", about a bunch of people - ranging from average tourists to a doctor/professor/historian - ending up on a cargo ship en voyage towards the coast of Mexico. Oddly enough, Dr. Isiah Bakkun (the historian) is convinced of the existence of a sunken Egyptian pyramid near the coast of Mexico; a pyramid containing a sarcophagus containing... the Son of Satan! No kidding. Bizarre incidents & near-death accidents start happening soon enough, like sudden shark attacks and all technology on board giving up on them. Their fun 2-day voyage seems doomed, for some reason. When the ship eventually ends up floating dead in the water, they suddenly find themselves right above the location of the sunken pyramid. Naturally, both the greediest passengers (there must be a hidden treasure, of course!) as well as Dr. Bakkun consider this the chance of a lifetime. So they dive, bring up the sarcophagus and with it they bring on board a great, ancient evil. This might all sound a bit more exciting than it actually turns out, though. But still, this peculiar TV-movie remains a fun watch. Good old Ray Milland - who plays Dr. Bakkun - is mumbling his articulated lines with some enthusiasm and a young Dirk Benedict - once again playing a ladies' man, while also being the ship's second-in-command - is also amongst the cast, so that adds to the fun. And the sarcophagus - clearly made out of rubber - is one truly malevolent artifact. Or well, maybe not all that menacing-looking, but the thing is pure evil. Fun watch, if nothing else.

In the Top 10 of Campy/Unintentionally Funny TV Movies

Author: rodharding from United States
9 May 2009

I am watching it now on a commercial VHS tape I bought on ebay. It is so terribly bad it is hilarious! I just have one question: Did they make this movie thinking it was scary or as intentional camp? A commercial yacht cruising with 12 passengers and crew come upon an Egyptian sarcophagus off the coast of Mexico (uh, okay ...) and bring it aboard. Forget the "plot" is the subplots and the characters that are more entertaining and hilarious. John Forsythe as a loony preacher convinced the sarcophagus contains the son of Satan, and that it must have an evil guardian - one of the onboard passengers - but who? Lee Merriweather plays his wife. In public she dresses straight out of Little House on the Prairie complete with bonnet. Privately, she is so sexually frustrated when she's alone with her hair down she's always touching herself. "Oh to be loved and touched! Even lust is better than a life without love!" she tells her husband. Then she leaves her cabin, goes to the sarcophagus then walks in a trance to Frank Converse's, enters without knocking and strips. "You're the one, aren't you?" she asks. He replies "I'm whatever you want me to be." Then they screw. (Perhaps this is what Stella Stevens character means when she utters the buzz line of the movie "There is a devil, there is no doubt, but is he trying to get IN US, or trying to get out!") Next, Merriweather is seen wandering the halls of the ship speaking in tongues. Stella Stevens plays a horny divorcée in a really, REALLY bad wig and low cut outfits sticking her droopy boobs in everyone's face. "A lot of big stars in it?" A lot of has beens or also-rans, like the acting hack couple Christopher and Lynda Day George. Apparently Oscar-winner Ray Milland suffered some bad investments. Otherwise why would he appear in this pile of crap?