IMDb > The Class of Miss MacMichael (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Class of Miss MacMichael More at IMDbPro »

I note the other comments are all from across the pond...

Author: SirGilbertUnderwood from United Kingdom
26 May 2007

I wonder if there is an element of the comedy here not translating? I'm an Assistant Headteacher at a school in London, and if anyone has spent time teaching at an inner-city school they might see some similarities here... I certainly did. This is a 70s British film and deserves its place as a record of times past. Don't watch this expecting a deep or serious comment on the state of education or inner-city schools, watch it as one would watch a Carry-On film expecting to spend a considerable amount of time with your tongue in your cheek. This is not serious cinema and should not be treated as such, this is a lighthearted (but politically incorrect - haven't we moved a long way?), romp. Lighten up!

Recommended

Author: seventiesflicksgirl from United States
7 January 2010

I saw this back in 1978, have the video & even transferred the video to DVD. I've watched it over & again, multiple times & have enjoyed it each time. For those of you who can't comprehend it, that's okay, but if you dislike the film so much, why go on a tirade, taking the time to make criticisms about it? My opinion hasn't changed... I enjoyed seeing this back in 1978 & continue to derive enjoyment from it today.

With all the crap coming out ad nauseum these days, it's a grave injustice The Class of Miss MacMichael still hasn't seen a (R1) DVD release. I now long for a proper DVD treatment of this wonderful classic. I wish the distributors for The Class of Miss MacMichael would get their heads out of their asses & get the ball rolling, & soon.

The scene where Glenda Jackson (Miss MacMichael) has a showdown with Oliver Reed (Mr. Sutton), is electrifying & highly showcases the greatest work of Ms. Jackson's career! Rosalind Cash turns in a wonderful performance as Miss MacMichael's fellow colleague & good friend, as does Michael Murphy as Miss MacMichael's love interest.

Pay no attention to the negative comments, this movie is indeed worth watching. It's a comedy-drama & not to be scrutinized, but enjoyed. The Class of Miss MacMichael delivers on all counts.

THE CLASS OF MISS MacMICHAEL (Silvio Narizzano, 1978) **

Author: MARIO GAUCI (marrod@melita.com) from Naxxar, Malta
11 August 2011

While this starts off as yet another British retread of BLACKBOARD JUNGLE (1955) after TO SIR, WITH LOVE (1967) it quickly transpires, firstly, that the antagonism in this case is not so much between students and teachers but even more so between the latter (and Glenda Jackson's titular figure in particular) and the school's supercilious principal (Oliver Reed) – also, that the socially-conscious events are treated rather lightly here. Besides, in clear yet lame emulation of its models, a brassy musical number intermittently plays throughout!

This was the last (and easily least) of 3 teamings between these two stars, among the more popular (and busiest) of the era: that said, on this occasion, Jackson is somewhat operating below par – whereas Reed is evidently having fun playing a martinet (albeit an "incompetent" one). Though filmed in England, this apparently was a co-production with the U.S. since a couple of its supporting actors emanate from Hollywood, namely Michael Murphy as Jackson's baseball-nut boyfriend and THE OMEGA MAN (1971)'s Rosalind Cash as a fellow teacher (who aggravates – and, in turn, is harassed by – Reed).

A couple of subplots which do not really go anywhere involve church minister John Standing, whose friendship with the principal is broken up by what the latter takes as his underlings' (specifically QUADROPHENIA {1979}'s Phil Daniels) deliberate 'insubordination' during a school visit by some prominent government officials, and another centering around an athletic but obviously disturbed black kid who, at one point, abducts a girl who had casually slighted him. The film, therefore, just plods on without much point but it does conclude on a crowd-pleasing note as Jackson demolishes Reed's office and gives her superior a fair thrashing as well!

Incidentally, Narizzano had already dealt – in offbeat fashion – with the education system in the well-regarded but curiously unavailable WHY SHOOT THE TEACHER? (1977; indeed, I was unable to track it down for this brief tribute to the late director…having missed the chance to watch it eons ago on a Sicilian TV channel!).

To Miss With Love.....This is her prime!

Author: mark.waltz from United States
1 August 2016

Glenda Jackson had two Oscars by this time and began a run of art house films that didn't get her Academy attention but provided her more depth than the sex pots of her Ken Russell years. The role of Miss MacMichael is one of her better films as she plays a character I have known many times in real life with teachers long gone from my life who still remain locked in my memory. She is a teacher at a school for troubled British youth, kicked out of regular public schools and sent to the ultimate places for "special education".

Working under an imperious but buffoonish head master (a very funny Oliver Reed), she's really doing nothing more than her job asks her to do, but little bits of her own humanity touch the troubled students who slowly come to adore her. Along with the kindly Rosalind Cash, she sets up a craft shop that brings out their creativity, although for Reed and the other teachers, they remain quite difficult. These kids aren't easy, but Jackson isn't averse to the needs they have, even if her boyfriend (Michael Murphy) finds it all too much.

Highly comic, this has its dramatic elements, particularly the tale of a young black teen suffering from severe arrested development. Issues of teen sexuality, drug use, violent tendencies and aversion to authority are all dealt with. Dealing with baby hedgehogs, exploding lunch boxes, shop lifting students and purple paint takes her nearly to the edge. Throughout it all, Jackson gives her all, far from perfect but slowly learning how she can make a difference. After all, in education, isn't that what it is all about?

Where to start - First, do not waste your time watching this movie

Author: kevob-1 from United States
20 April 2006

On the scale for the movie, zero was not an option. I saw this many years ago and thought it was truly awful. Then, it was at a video rental place and got it to watch again. It does not improve with age. It really makes me wonder if the people involved knew, while this was being filmed, how awful the finished product would be. It really is cliché, but what were they thinking? There is so much more to say, but that would be piling on. It is enough to say that there are many, much better movies to watch. This movie came out just after Ms. Jackson made a Touch of Class. See that movie. That is really a great movie. An even bigger puzzle if the appearance of Oliver Reed.He does not add anything to the plot or story or character development that required him to be there. I think one of those large cardboard cutouts with a voice over could have done as good a job. Maybe have someone stand behind and move it around to show action...? OK, now I am piling on. Enjoy life, see something else.

An Utter Reekfest...

Author: Hoffmanintl from Albuquerque, NM
15 February 2004

SPOILER AHEAD!!! Absolutely atrocious melange of garbage masquerading as a film. One may assume the Faberge wanted to throw some big money into the movie industry, and apparently there were some takers. They took the money and ran, delivering this slop in return. This movie is so bad, and SO unfunny, that the "humor" can be see lumbering towards you from miles off; forgetting totally that the very basis of humor is surprise, every punchline is telegraphed an hour in advance. Nothing makes sense here; no characters are believable, and there's no plot or storyline to speak of. Events happen, and you may wonder why on Earth they included them except to take up time. Even if you were a teacher in the worst school on Earth, you would HAVE to see through this unrealistic farce of a film. You may watch it through merely to see how far it will go, or how they will end it; the film "cleverly" finishes with the same raspberry (or Bronx Cheer) that it began with--it's directed at the audience!

MY GOD!! HOW BAD CAN A MOVIE BE?

Author: kamikaze-4 from United States
15 June 2000

I think I just sat thru the worst movie ever made. If you are a sucker for dedicated teachers gaining the trust and respect of social misfit students such as To Sir With Love or Up the Down Staircase like I am, you are going to be shocked. There is absolutely nothing to recommend. This movie is just plain insulting. What school has cleaning a cesspool of excrement as a class project. And there really isn't anything worse than making fun of socially retarded students who break wind,a student who flashes his -well you know, and gets a mouse trap castration and another student who thinks he's a gorilla in Africa!. I could go on, but this film is not worth 1000 words. What possessed Rosalind Cash and Michael Murphy to go to England to make this film? For that matter, why did such accomplished actors as Glenda Jackson and Oliver Reed subject themselves to this atrocious excuse for a comedy? I wonder what they looks on everybody's face was when the film was premiered? Thankfully, this movie was not on AFI's 100 Funniest Films of All Time list. For that, we should just give thanks