IMDb > Battered (1978) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Battered (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Good realistic story

Author: GUENOT PHILIPPE (philippe.guenot@dbmail.com) from France
14 December 2016

I quite don't understand why there were two TV movies with a year in between, with the same title and speaking of the same matter: beaten women. I admit that the second feature, although showing the same problem, presented a little different story. Anyway, this one is a very good and impressive tale, very close to what is the true daily life of millions of women around the globe. Unfortunately true. The editing and story line reminded me COLLISION, back in 2006, and so many other features; three different fates which at one moment collide. I will also answer to the other reviewer question: how did it end... SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS Well, there were no women killing their her husband. On the contrary, Howard Keel's character killed his wife when he hit her and she died in the hospital. The black woman finally went back to her husband and she and the kids seemed very happy. Concerning Karen Grassle, who gives here an outstanding performance, she broke with her nasty attorney, executive - I did not get what was his job, but he was not an ordinary blue collar, like so many beating husbands - she broke with him and she seemed very lightened to have got rid of him. So, you see, you had three different people, for one same problem - battered wives - but three different endings.

Never Seen How It Ended

Author: richard.fuller1
10 November 2013

At the time I caught this, the big intrigue was Caroline Ingalls being beat up by BJ Hunnicutt off MASH. I knew who LeVar Burton was, wasn't familiar with Chip Fields, and this was probably the first time I was seeing Howard Duff and Joan Blondell.

When I started watching this way way back, Farrell suddenly had Grassle cornered at the top of the stairs, Burton was beating up Fields and Duff threw Blondell thru a glass display cabinet.

The police were called on Burton and Duff. Duff was arrested. Can't recall what became of Burton.

The impact of Farrell beating Grassle began affecting their son, who was now yelling at mom as well.

I remember one bit where Grassle had stopped her car in the road or something, and some fellow came up and hit the door window, cracking it. Bless her heart.

Unfortunately, the power went out and I have never seen how this ended up for any of these.

I tried asking about (back then with no internet) and the best I could find is that at least one of the wives shot her husband, but don't know which. I think it was either Blondell or Fields (probably Blondell).

When Blondell got Duff out of jail the next morning, she was very apologetic and he turned and grabbed her by the face and said he'd belt her right now if they weren't outside the police station.

Would be interested to see how this ended sometime. The only bit I've managed to find online is pretty much the scene I recall.