IMDb > "The White Shadow" (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The White Shadow" More at IMDbPro »

Great show

Author: dhyan from Arizona
10 December 1999

This ranks as one of the best tv shows I've ever seen. Timely, even today, and very well-acted. I watched this while it was on TV Land and very much enjoyed it. Not at all cheesy and very honest. The title character was not always nice or good, but believable, and there was always a lesson to be learned.

Great show

Author: F_Jenkins from la
9 November 2005

The only sad thing about this show being so great is that it's bound to be remade as a bad movie by the Hollywood recycling committee that takes every good (or bad) TV show and thinks for some reason it needs to be remade as a theatrical movie.

This was truly a great show with some great young talent. At least three of the principal kids have become prominent directors. Ken Howard was perfectly cast here. I always thought it odd he never became a big star. Sure, there were a couple of bad actors in the bunch (oh man, Go-Go was awful) but the show was so great itself it didn't matter. And not a lot of people know it was created by the father of Gweneth Paltrow.

Great show and really fun to finally see on DVD.

The Greatest Series of All-Time

Author: ndimeo from New Jersey
7 March 2000

Some might say the greatest television series of all-time is I Love Lucy, or The Honeymooners but for this recliner critic it has to be The White Shadow. The White Shadow focused on urban problems of high school kids while at the same time teaching the viewer ethics and morals and how to shoot a jump shot. It's sad to see that The White Shadow has fallen out of television's limelight, it is almost impossible to find an episode anymore. I believe if The White Shadow was seen by the kids of today it would be more popular than ever before. The NBA has probably taken over football and baseball as the most popular sport in America so why not let The White Shadow in on some of the exposure. It's a really great show and it will live in this viewer's mind all the way to the boneyard. I also want to answer the lifelong question that this show has posed, Tim Van-Patten(Salami) is actually Dick Van-Patten's brother and not son.

Gripping television at its finest hour

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
11 July 2003

"The White Shadow",was without a doubt one of the most accurate portrayals of life in the inner city ever produced and it was one of the most intense dramatic shows that ran for three seasons on CBS-TV. The show dealt with some of the most relevant issues of its day and still at the time very controversial as well. The show dealt with drugs,gangs,sex, not to mention pieces of subjects dealing with diseases,family issues, homosexuality,and even death. Ken Howard stars as Coach Reeves,a former NBA professional basketball player who takes over as the new high school basketball coach at fictional Carver High School where he takes over a bunch of kids who needs guidance and understanding under the watchable eyes of the school principal,Mrs. Buchanan,played by Joan Pringle. The shows' first two seasons to me was at the peak of perfection and from there it was here that the show garnerned back-to-back Emmys for his breathtaking direction,courtesy of the show's producer and creator Bruce Paltrow.

In this series,you get to see these losers become winners, and also you get to see the kids go through the motions in there times of crisis,and it comes with a terrible price. The most heartbreaking moment of the series came when Jackson gets killed on the eve of the team winning the city championship. The saddest moment of the series is when Gomez joins a gang and is killed on the eve of his graduation from the school. It's amazing that this series is nowhere to be seen these days,since the last time it was shown was on ESPN's classic sports channel.

Did Ken Reeves play college ball?

Author: richmano321 from United States
14 November 2005

Does anyone know if Ken Howard played beyond high school? He looks like he could play a little. Coolidge had good height too, but he didn't look like he was all that skilled, and the other guys on the team looked like they had no skills at all. But I really loved this show, I have it on DVD, anyone who has played high school ball can relate to the WhiteShadow, and it always seemed like Ken Howard got all the chicks in the show too. This was an old school gym with no glass backboards and no 3-point line, high school adopted the line in 1987. When season 2 comes out I will definitely buy it also. This is a show I highly recommend for all to see.

my favorite tv show of all-time

Author: nancy welty (j.weltyjr@att.net) from lawrenceville, ga
19 September 2001

Love this show because it depicts teens and adults as humans with problems and what steps it takes to take care of the problems. I also love basketball and get to see lots of action in most shows. Ken Michelman ("Abner Goldstein") is a super actor, as shown in the show "Little Orphan Abner".

Hard to believe very few people in USA knows about this show

Author: obilenoglu from Miami, USA
12 July 2017

As you can tell from reviews, this show made a huge impact in Turkey in 80s. Weird enough almost nobody remembers this show where it was first aired and shot in U.S. I wish Netflix, Amazon Video had this show in their offerings. It was a great show for a young kid, teenager and for adults, too.

Episode Spotlight - Coolidge Goes Hollywood

Author: librachashjesu from virginia beach, virginia
9 May 2017

Starting today, I will do an "Episode Spotlight". I will pick a random episode, 1 to 54, based off a random number generator. Today is the 38th episode filmed, "Coolidge Goes Hollywood": It's the off-season and Coolidge's talents are discovered, but not in basketball. First, Frank Leonard, the drama teacher (last year he was the music teacher and his name was Art) wants Cool for the drama club after he sees him reciting one line from a TV show. Then, the director from a show called "Downtown High" hears him say "smack you upside yo head" and immediately thinks he's a natural actor.

What follows is quite possibly the silliest (not funniest) episode of the series. Sure, it has its funny moments. But, my question is, why didn't Season 2 end with the city championship? Why was it necessary to add two more episodes? Sure, "A Few Good Men" dealt with the guys who were graduating (hey, it's a show about high schoolers. Somebody HAD to graduate after two seasons, right?) and was somewhat plausible to occur after the championship. Why was this episode needed? Maybe the producers wanted to give Byron Stewart a shot at expanding his horizons as an actor. I do have to say Stewart was born to play the role of Warren Coolidge. It's kind of unfortunate he didn't go on to more roles and I'm glad Bruce Paltrow saw fit to reprise his character in St. Elsewhere. Maybe it's better he didn't; he probably would have spent his career being typecast in "big person" roles mainly in comedies.

My favorite parts are definitely (1) when Coolidge wants Coach Reeves to be his agent. Reeves' response at the possibility of being subservient to Coolidge is hilarious, (2) the team members crash his party and he ends up in the swimming pool.

It's too bad Curtis Jackson was killed off before this one. I think he potentially could have had some hilarious moments.

Note: Harry Danner (Mr. Leonard) was Bruce Paltrow's brother-in-law, Blythe Danner's brother

@Richmano321

Author: Elewis1195 from United States
11 March 2017

The answer to your question is on Mr. Howard's wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Howard#Early_life "Howard turned down several offers of basketball scholarships in favor of a more focused academic education." It goes on to say "He was a graduate of Amherst College, where he served as captain of the basketball team".

Not sure what "served as captain" means, when he turned down a scholarship means. That's a bit vague and the footnote is no help. My guess would be that he did not, focusing on his studies and acting instead.

- - - I remember liking this show growing up. It feels dated now, mostly from memory, but it was a good show at the time.