IMDb > "The White Shadow" (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The White Shadow"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The White Shadow" More at IMDbPro »

One hell of a good show, indeed.

Author: cemk-2 from Ankara, Turkey
4 November 2001

"The White Shadow" was my favourite TV-series when I was a ten-year old. As a member of a soccer-crazy nation, it had hit me and a generation of Turks like no other show had. That, I may easily claim, has been the TV show that turned basketball in Turkey from a fringe sport no-one cared about to a sport everyone wanted to participate in. Many who didn't know there was such a sport had become addicts to basketball league games, and the relationship between the team-members at Carver High has become an inspiration to high-school pupils. Now, since the recent Euro'Basket 2001, the TRT TV has began to run the series again. I am very glad to see my wee nephews watch it with the same enthusiasm as I did when I was their age. That's due to the fact that the characters were well-written, the subjects very-well chosen, and the acting was pure brilliant. I don't know if any other high-school drama can match it years later in terms of its density, strength, and meaningfulness. I'm glad it was on years ago, I'm glad they show it again in 2001. Pity Ken Howard and the rest of the cast couldn't make it as big as they deserved later on. One thing is for sure, though, they'll always be remembered as Coach Reeves, Coolidge, Salami, Thorpe and so...

Telling it Like it Is

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
11 March 2003

This had to be one of the most accurate portrayals of inner city life ever made. This show dealt with it all, drugs, gangs, sex and even death. The second season was to me its peak. You got to see the losers become winners, but not without paying a price. Thorpe infecting Coolige's girlfriend with syphilis (predating the AIDS crisis), a player dying of a brain hemorrhage during practice and the most heartbreaking moment, Jackson getting murdered on the eve of the team winning the city championship. But, the most amazing thing is that this would be the breeding ground for two of the finest directors around, Thomas Carter and Kevin Hooks. Bruce Paltrow not only was a genius director, but he was also a professor and his charges learned well and became great on their own.

Great Tv Series

Author: murat erd (omuraterd@hotmail.com) from izmir, Turkey
14 October 2003

White Shadow series appeared on Turkish tv in the begining of 80's. There were hard days in Turkey in economics and politics areas so this series made the youth happy and provided them different point of view. During this period Turkish basketball life jumped to upper level.This improving in basketball has still carried on in these days. White Shadow had a big influence on basketball and Turkish teen life. Therefore this series has an important place in Turkish social life.

The Best Show Ever

Author: Ivan_Drago from Las Vegas, NV
5 July 2003

The White Shadow was not just one of the best sports shows ever, but it was one of the best shows overall. When you tuned in to The White Shadow, you didn't just see some high school kids on a basketball team with an ex-pro as their coach, you saw them deal with real-life problems and situations. Addictions (Jackson). Gangs (Gomez). STDs (Coolidge, Thorpe). Death (Jackson). I will admit, it wasn't the same when the players "graduated", but the new cast wasn't as bad as some think they were. They were just never given the same opportunities. When Goldstein, Hayward, Jackson, Reese, and Gomez were replaced, the storylines then mainly revolved around the returning players, namely, Coolidge, Thorpe, Salami, and Vitaglia. Stone wasn't too bad. Neither was Mitchell. I would love to see this series on DVD some day. Also, does anyone remember Phil ever saying anything?

Great show

Author: dhyan from Arizona
10 December 1999

This ranks as one of the best tv shows I've ever seen. Timely, even today, and very well-acted. I watched this while it was on TV Land and very much enjoyed it. Not at all cheesy and very honest. The title character was not always nice or good, but believable, and there was always a lesson to be learned.

A Show Ahead of its Time

Author: ramsfan from United States
7 January 2007

Count me among the many others who loved this show. As an 11 year old kid who ate, drank and slept sports, this show was one of the best things going. As a young adult, I viewed it with the same love but with a much different perspective. The White Shadow featured a racially mixed inner city basketball team coached by a caucasian former pro player and current phys. ed. teacher named Ken Reeves. At first viewed as an outsider unable to relate to a group of city kids, he gradually wins their trust. The show tackled sensitive issues in an honest, believable manner and dealt with the often grim realities facing both kids and teachers in an inner city setting. The basketball action was also very well done- impressive considering many feature films depicting athletics show actors trying unconvincingly to play or compete.

It is hard to believe this show is nearly 30 years old. The subject matter on The White Shadow could easily be depicted today- things change and yet they stay the same. Sadly, this is yet another show that didn't last long that nonetheless was both entertaining and worthwhile on so many levels.

Today, I am a high school teacher and coach partly because of the influence this show had on me personally. I really wish we could turn back the clock and get shows of this quality and long term impact again.

Great show

Author: F_Jenkins from la
9 November 2005

The only sad thing about this show being so great is that it's bound to be remade as a bad movie by the Hollywood recycling committee that takes every good (or bad) TV show and thinks for some reason it needs to be remade as a theatrical movie.

This was truly a great show with some great young talent. At least three of the principal kids have become prominent directors. Ken Howard was perfectly cast here. I always thought it odd he never became a big star. Sure, there were a couple of bad actors in the bunch (oh man, Go-Go was awful) but the show was so great itself it didn't matter. And not a lot of people know it was created by the father of Gweneth Paltrow.

Great show and really fun to finally see on DVD.

The Greatest Series of All-Time

Author: ndimeo from New Jersey
7 March 2000

Some might say the greatest television series of all-time is I Love Lucy, or The Honeymooners but for this recliner critic it has to be The White Shadow. The White Shadow focused on urban problems of high school kids while at the same time teaching the viewer ethics and morals and how to shoot a jump shot. It's sad to see that The White Shadow has fallen out of television's limelight, it is almost impossible to find an episode anymore. I believe if The White Shadow was seen by the kids of today it would be more popular than ever before. The NBA has probably taken over football and baseball as the most popular sport in America so why not let The White Shadow in on some of the exposure. It's a really great show and it will live in this viewer's mind all the way to the boneyard. I also want to answer the lifelong question that this show has posed, Tim Van-Patten(Salami) is actually Dick Van-Patten's brother and not son.

Did Ken Reeves play college ball?

Author: richmano321 from United States
14 November 2005

Does anyone know if Ken Howard played beyond high school? He looks like he could play a little. Coolidge had good height too, but he didn't look like he was all that skilled, and the other guys on the team looked like they had no skills at all. But I really loved this show, I have it on DVD, anyone who has played high school ball can relate to the WhiteShadow, and it always seemed like Ken Howard got all the chicks in the show too. This was an old school gym with no glass backboards and no 3-point line, high school adopted the line in 1987. When season 2 comes out I will definitely buy it also. This is a show I highly recommend for all to see.

my favorite tv show of all-time

Author: nancy welty (j.weltyjr@att.net) from lawrenceville, ga
19 September 2001

Love this show because it depicts teens and adults as humans with problems and what steps it takes to take care of the problems. I also love basketball and get to see lots of action in most shows. Ken Michelman ("Abner Goldstein") is a super actor, as shown in the show "Little Orphan Abner".